Start by marking “The Upgrade: A Cautionary Tale of a Life Without Reservations ” as Want to Read:
The Upgrade: A Cautionary Tale of a Life Without Reservations

The Upgrade: A Cautionary Tale of a Life Without Reservations

Paperback. Pub Date: 2011. Pages: 304 in Publisher: Weidenfeld & Nicholson. Bored oke and struggling to survive in one of the most expensive cities on earth. Paul Carr comes to of the surprising realisation that it would actually be cheaper to live in a hotel in Manhattan than in his one-bedroom London flat. Inspired by that possibility. he decides to sell most of his ...more
Paperback, UK Edition, 294 pages
Published 2011 by Weidenfeld & Nicolson

To ask other readers questions about The Upgrade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Upgrade

Allan Beaufour
Aug 01, 2011 Allan Beaufour rated it it was ok
It's less a book about how he manages to live in hotels year-round, and more a tale of his drunken adventures. It kept me entertained though :) It gets a bit more serious in the end of the book.
Greta
Sep 14, 2011 Greta rated it it was ok
Shelves: travel
A tedious, bragging, self-indulgent book. Can't believe I actually finished it, but only because I hate not finishing books.
Robin
Oct 22, 2013 Robin rated it liked it
3.5 stars - I was intrigued by this book as I love to read about hotel and restaurant experiences and thought Paul Carr's saga of giving up his London apartment to live in hotels for a year (citing would actually be cheaper) would be interesting. For the most part it was when he related his experiences but the constant drinking and carousing got a little tiresome and I can't imagine how he came out of it alive.

All in all it was a quick and fun read and he's actually a fairly good writer. Now I'm
Maryellen
Mar 17, 2012 Maryellen rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-read
Another guy who drinks too much and talks a lot about it. Mildly entertaining, but honestly I was more interested in a bunch of cool hotel info than more crap about drinking with little girls.
Diane Patterson
Dec 08, 2014 Diane Patterson rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This is the terrible (and hilarious) story of a terrible (and hilarious) man, his misadventures, and his growing realization of what's causing many of these adventures. I came across this book while reading about travel points, and I thought this was a book about travel hacking. It is...kind of (who knew the secret to finding affordable housing in SF?), but more than that it's the story of a guy's admission of alcoholism. And there is SO MUCH drinking in this book that I began to feel nauseated ...more
Robert
Oct 03, 2011 Robert rated it it was ok
I really didn't find the author as amusing as he finds himself.
Jeff
Jul 20, 2011 Jeff rated it really liked it
I might be slightly partial to the author, since I found his month-long blog series about staying in a different hotel in Las Vegas every day to be quite fascinating and brutally funny. I was expecting a lot of the same out of this book, to be honest, just...longer, and that's indeed what I got, though with much more depth and a surprisingly moving turn in the last quarter or so of the book.

The whole idea of living exclusively in hotels and relinquishing nearly all material possessions seems imp
Simon Howard
Jun 20, 2013 Simon Howard rated it it was ok
Shelves: biographies, humour
The Upgrade is the follow up to Paul Carr’s Bringing Nothing to the Party, compared to which I found it to be a hard slog. The book essentially continues Carr’s autobiographical tale, picking up where the previous volume left off. Carr reaches the realisation that rental prices in London are exceptionally high, and that he could likely live in hotels for less. And so, he commits himself to a nomadic lifestyle in which he travels the world living in hotels. This book is advertised as his guide to ...more
Ankur Banerjee
Apr 12, 2013 Ankur Banerjee rated it it was amazing
Paul Carr was a fuckup. He left a career as a journalist with The Guardian to start his own multimillion dollar publishing company, abandoned it to launch a web startup under the delusion of becoming “the next Mark Zuckerberg”, got arrested and failed in many relationships because of an alcohol problem. With mounting bills and his life going off the rails, Carr started a journey that has made him a legend in tech journalism.

The Upgrade: A Cautionary Tale of Life Without Reservations is Paul Carr
Unwisely
Sep 07, 2013 Unwisely rated it liked it
Shelves: travelogue, memoir, 2013
Another quick read. This is a book I picked up because it was in the same section as No Touch Monkey!: And Other Travel Lessons Learned Too Late (which I didn't just put on hold). I thought I would like a story about living in luxury hotels after the backpacker book.

That's not exactly what this book was, though. I mean, there was that. There was about how to get free stuff if you're a rich, white, middle-class English guy with a law degree. But if, partway through the book, you start to get unc
Matthew Bradley
Mar 09, 2013 Matthew Bradley rated it really liked it
Shelves: biographies
I'm not sure what I expected from this book. I think I expected inspiration and perhaps some perspective on myself, both of which I got. The book was a strong reminder to optimize life for happiness, and perhaps even ridiculousness, with a few hints and tips as to how to get a better hotel rate, some honest, some not.

The author came across as candid -- despite the book being so replete with confessions of lying, or "blagging" -- for which I am grateful. This level of candor is rare, especially w
Mrs. Klink
Oct 10, 2014 Mrs. Klink rated it liked it
The book was humorous and written in such a way to capture my attention fully. However, the book seemed to be more about Paul's fantastical drunken escapades than his experience living and traveling around the world, which I found disappointing.
Amy
Aug 22, 2011 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was suggested to me by a good friend and I am so glad I picked it up. Paul gives you a window into his life of the beginning years of his nomad-living experience. Cover-to-cover wit keeps you hooked. The whole story is hilarious, informative, TMI, and absolutely brilliant. It's of course entertaining to see what he is capable of doing to keep things interesting (especially with an alcohol problem) but I learned so much about traveling smart... this book will pay for itself with the mon ...more
Jul 04, 2012 Jennifer rated it liked it
Paul Carr has a ridiculous plan to abandon his pricy digs in London and save money by living as an expatriate in hotels around the world. A plan so ridiculous...it just might work.

The story is less about the mechanics of day to day living in hotels and more about how Paul's friends enable him in his bad habits and eventually save him from himself.
Steve
Oct 03, 2011 Steve rated it really liked it
I loved Bringing Nothing to the Party, and loved this book as well. It is both the style of writing and the topics that I like in these books. Even though this is the last book I started reading, it is also the first I finished in a long time.

I am happy that Paul will release a third book Bringing Something to the Party (hopefully soon)
Rain
Dec 07, 2013 Rain rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Starts off really strong. Picked it up to just read a few pages, and before I knew it, I was half-way done. But eventually, reading about him blacking out and waking up in unfortunate scenarios starts to get sad and a tad boring. Glad he figured that out for himself.
Marc Brandeberry
Aug 23, 2012 Marc Brandeberry rated it liked it
Whatever the male version of Chick Lit is, this is it. A good casual summer read, that about 2/3rd of the way takes a twist I did not expect. The various anecdotes were interesting and funny to me, although I think it could have been edited down a smidge.
Bryan Allison
Mar 26, 2013 Bryan Allison rated it liked it
This book started out with promise, but devolved into self-important navel gazing. It's hard to say what would happen if I met Paul Carr in person, but I'm leaning toward punching him in the back of the head.
Alex
Jul 25, 2011 Alex rated it really liked it
It's not very deep book and yet it's fascinating enough to swallow in one evening. A little bit of "4-hour work week" (or maybe "Up in the Air"), a little bit of Tucker Max's books.
Matthew
Sep 03, 2012 Matthew rated it liked it
Entertaining, it was a nice book to read on holiday.
It reminded me of 'Twitchhiker' by Paul Smith, so if you enjoyed that book then you should give this a read.
Mike Ward
Jun 18, 2013 Mike Ward rated it really liked it
Shelves: blogged
enjoyable if a bit self absorbed - full review here

Chris
Sep 28, 2011 Chris rated it really liked it
Entertaining diary about a man who drinks too much, doesn't know what he wants in life, yet manages to somehow hold on and find himself.
kendall
Sep 03, 2013 kendall rated it liked it
Not amazing but a fun read that made me want to travel (though not Carr style). If you liked The Hangover you'll probably enjoy this.
Stefan Vds
Jun 16, 2011 Stefan Vds rated it it was amazing
A great read. Well written. Interesting story. The fact it's all fact, no fiction makes it the great story it is.
Rob Shoesmith
Jul 14, 2012 Rob Shoesmith rated it liked it
Not a bad read. Could be better.
Jimmy Winter
Jimmy Winter rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2016
Romain
Romain rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2016
Jacci
Jacci marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Heather
Heather is currently reading it
Sep 13, 2016
SB
SB added it
Sep 12, 2016
  • Brilliant, Crazy, Cocky: How the Top 1% of Entrepreneurs Profit from Global Chaos
  • enough
  • Swish: My Quest to Become the Gayest Person Ever
  • Paperless: A MacSparky Field Guide
  • Deflowered: My Life in Pansy Division
  • 42 Fallacies
  • Rejection Proof: 100 Days of Rejection, or How to Ask Anything of Anyone at Anytime
  • Shrinkage: Manhood, Marriage, and the Tumor That Tried to Kill Me
  • Breeding in Captivity: One Woman's Unusual Path to Motherhood
  • Another Insane Devotion: On The Love of Cats and Persons
  • A Working Stiff's Manifesto: A Memoir of Thirty Jobs I Quit, Nine That Fired Me, and Three I Can't Remember
  • Friends Like These
  • Mindfire: Big Ideas for Curious Minds
  • Navel Gazing: True Tales of Bodies, Mostly Mine (But Also My Mom's, Which I Know Sounds Weird)
  • To Hellholes and Back: Bribes, Lies, and the Art of Extreme Tourism
  • Chocolate & Vicodin: My Quest for Relief from the Headache that Wouldn't Go Away
  • Plane Insanity
  • حدس اللحظة
Author of The Upgrade, Bringing Nothing To The Party, Sober Is My New Drunk.
More about Paul Bradley Carr...