Start by marking “Wave Length” as Want to Read:
Wave Length

Wave Length

Oliver's world has shrunk. It's all about Year 12 finals. It's about that magic 80% average he needs to get into uni, get his dream job and get cashed up. If only he can find a quiet place to study - away from the chaos and mess of living with two small kids and his Mum's booming muffin business.A study break in a small coastal town seems just the ticket. But Sunny Haven R ...more
Paperback, Large Print, 252 pages
Published October 28th 2010 by ReadHowYouWant

To ask other readers questions about Wave Length, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wave Length

Jess - The Tales Compendium
I was really interested in reading this book because it is set in Perth (where I live) and Busselton (where I have holidayed). In other words, I am familiar with the scenery which is rare as not alot of books are set in Perth so a big shout out to local author AJ Betts! I briefly met Betts once when she came into the book store I was working in. This was before Wavelength had been released which is a pity because now that I have read it, I would have loved to have had the opportunity to tell her ...more
Joséphine (Word Revel)
Initial thoughts: Wavelength's subject matter is one many can relate to: stressing out over the need to study. Oliver so badly wanted to get into his choice university course and so set his mind completely on studying. The trouble was that no matter where he went, he came across a lot of distractions, so he packed up for his one week break to spend it at his father's place. Little did he expect even more distractions.

The thing aboutWavelength is that it isn't terribly interesting. To me it read
Alana
Nov 18, 2010 Alana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good quick read with really well developed characters. The one criticism I have is that the ending seemed kind of rushed and there wasn't much closure. I get the whole 'start of the journey' thing but I would have liked to know what happened when he got home - if he was different or altered in anyway for his experience. I felt the story could have benefited from a couple more chapters or even an epilogue.

Also, I'm from Perth so I loved reading about places that I had actually been to
Robyn Mundy
Sep 30, 2010 Robyn Mundy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
YA. Once again, AJ Betts has nailed a terrific story and portrayed the angst of family dysfunction, broken relationships, a yearning for love and the big life choices facing this Gen Y teenager.
Jammie
Jun 26, 2012 Jammie rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2011
Wavelength is a simple story about a normal boy who is just trying to study and get through his exams. Very relatable for high school students. Stress about grades and (for me in QLD) OP's and getting into the university that you want. I can can still relate to the pressure Oliver is under for exams being in university now.
Oliver is a very relatable character for anyone in high school and even university students coming up to their exams. It's a story about life. It's long. Don't stress unneces
Jia Min
May 03, 2015 Jia Min rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book! Just wish there's more..
It reminds me of my dislike of exams and the slogan "To infinity and beyond!" :)
Amanda Curtin
Oct 18, 2010 Amanda Curtin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A smart, funny, compassionate story with an appeal way beyond its young adult target readership. I found Oliver engaging and wholly believable, and Mum's muffin business is laugh-out-loud stuff :-)
♥ C.A.Anna ♥
This was a great book. I loved it and i really hope Betts writes another one to this book. This was a great book...even a little educational! And im so recomending to my friends. Great job!
Marj
Marj rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2011
Skye
Skye rated it it was ok
Aug 08, 2011
H Sabbadini
H Sabbadini rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2016
Lia
Lia rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2012
Ashleigh Teasdale
Ashleigh Teasdale rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2015
klau tks
klau tks rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2016
Isabel
Isabel rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Hassan
Hassan rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2014
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2015
Jasmine
Jasmine rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2015
Abbey
Abbey rated it it was ok
Dec 30, 2015
Steph
Steph rated it liked it
May 08, 2011
Ralala
Ralala rated it it was ok
Oct 07, 2014
Mel
Mel rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2016
Ashleigh Teasdale
Ashleigh Teasdale rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2014
Trisha
engaging and insightful
Snip
Snip rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2015
Kaz
Kaz rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2013
David
David rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2014
Rinneko
Rinneko rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
K
K rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2015
Sarah rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Toppling
  • The Foretelling of Georgie Spider (The Tribe, #3)
  • Intruder
  • One True Thing
  • Brown Skin Blue
  • After
  • Cloudwish (The Six Impossiverse #3)
  • Day Boy
  • Creepy and Maud
  • Burning Eddy
  • Inbetween Days
  • New Guinea Moon
I'm a Perth-based writer who writes realistic fiction for teenagers (14+) but adults enjoy them too. I'm also an English teacher, poet, writer of non-fiction texts, presenter and reader.
More about A.J. Betts...