Start by marking “Deadline” as Want to Read:
Deadline

Deadline

A serial killer--the Wolfman -- prowls the streets of Toronto kidnapping young professional women, then targets crime reporter Katie Cannon. Trevor Trevanian, a foreign correspondent in Afghanistan, is abducted by al-Qaida and taken on a perilous journey to Pakistan to face an uncertain fate. DEADLINE combines murder, action and romance, with a glimpse into the world of bi ...more
Published September 14th 2010 by Lulu.com (first published September 8th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Deadline, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadline

Lalo Lafleur
Apr 21, 2013 Lalo Lafleur rated it it was amazing
Deadline by James Anderson is a great read. It's a wonderful thriller and kept me turning the pages to see what would happen next. I got very excited about the newspaper business while reading this story. But the real story is in the characters. I came to care about the characters and the newspaper that their lives revolved around. And I loved the line about "stop the presses". At first I could not figure out how all the story lines would be tied together but they were. It is a very satisfying r ...more
mountainmama
Jan 28, 2012 mountainmama rated it it was amazing
This is a non-stop account of the behind-the-scenes intrigue that takes place in the world of print journalism. There are several subplots skillfully woven together – a crazed psychopath and the reporter he chooses as his next victim; the foreign correspondent who experiences the once-in-a-lifetime interview and his fight to get the information to the public; the newspaper owner who must make some hard choices about the fate of the newspaper he loves as well as about his own love life; and the e ...more
Lisa Williamson
Apr 30, 2014 Lisa Williamson rated it really liked it
Having read the sequel to this book before I read this one I thought it would be a bit smoother. For a first book by an author it is a great look behind newspaper writers. The characters are rich and occasionally cliched but fun to read.

The only real drawback to this fine read is that the two story lines in this book don't mesh well. By his second book Mr Anderson has managed to mesh the multiple story lines much better.

I wanted to learn more about Trevor and you will as you move through the ser
Susan Jane McLeod
The owner of a newspaper struggling to hold onto his life's dream. A managing editor who regrets the choice of career over family. A beautiful reporter for whom the word "deadline" takes on sinister meaning. And a foreign correspondent in war-torn Afghanistan on a harrowing mission that will make headlines all over the world.
Any one of these characters could have been the subject of their own novel. But we get to enjoy a literary smorgasbord and sample them all in one book. Mr. Anderson's crisp
R.C. Drake
Oct 16, 2012 R.C. Drake rated it it was amazing
DEADLINE (Kindle Edition)
Many subplots intertwine within one another as the story builds in a fast paced action filled climb. Follow along while all is unraveled as the book reaches its climax.

A Newsman in the throes of war and espionage, must endure tumultuous hardships as he discovers some hidden truths. A serial killer will take you into the heart of his crimes, where he desperately tries to lose you within those deep recesses. Fear for your life with our valiant heroine as she is stalked by
Diana Hockley
Dec 22, 2012 Diana Hockley rated it really liked it
When I purchased Deadline, I was not aware that this is a first novel by a new author and ex-newspaperman, however early in the story it became obvious that he knows the background well.

Without giving a spoiler, the chapters relating to Afghanistan are believable and lively. There is a real sense of the "sights, sounds and smells" which bring a plot to life, accompanied by a strong sense of foreboding.

As for the other parts of the novel,I felt the story lines were simplistic and rushed. The nove
Luke A. Bunker
Jan 04, 2012 Luke A. Bunker rated it really liked it
Like a previous reviewer noted, several separate novels could have been formed from each of the main characters. And that's one of the things that made this fast-paced, easy-to-read book such a pleasure - CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT! It seems like this element is missing from too many books, and I feel it's a testament to Anderson's talent and skill that he could so well with this in such a short novel. I did feel there were some issues with forced and awkward dialogue, but the plot and premise more t ...more
Mark Rayner
Jul 02, 2012 Mark Rayner rated it liked it
Deadline has everything you want from a thriller - lots of action, tons of plot, and yes, a relentless drive towards the resolution. There's a word for that in newspaper terms, I'm pretty sure...

In the interests of transparency, I should point out that the author is an ex-editor of mine, so I may have some reporting bias! That said, I don't normally read thrillers, but I still ripped right through this one.

And if you enjoy this book, there is a sequel: The Scorpion.
Tammy
May 13, 2012 Tammy rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this great mystery. It had several story lines with many characters who were developed very well. I would recommend it and it was free on my nook which was even better! I will definitely pick another one of this authors books.
Jack
Feb 27, 2012 Jack rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book encompasses 24 hours in the life of a Toronto daily newspaper. Well written and enjoyable, however I think it could have been developed further into a longer novel - it felt a bit rushed.
Carolyn Holden
Feb 09, 2012 Carolyn Holden rated it it was ok
Fairly simple plot, didn't hold a lot of interest.
Nev Thomas
Mar 06, 2012 Nev Thomas rated it liked it
Fair thriller
Onyx
Onyx marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Patricia Marshall
Patricia Marshall rated it it was ok
Aug 16, 2016
DJ
DJ added it
Aug 03, 2016
User
User rated it it was ok
Mar 20, 2016
Angelica Decosta
Angelica Decosta marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
karen l. davis
karen l. davis rated it liked it
Nov 27, 2015
Darci
Darci marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
John Van Nostrand
John Van Nostrand rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2015
Sue Deeley
Sue Deeley rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2015
Asslinn
Asslinn rated it it was ok
May 28, 2015
R.E. Conary
R.E. Conary rated it really liked it
May 16, 2015
Karla
Karla added it
May 10, 2015
Bob
Bob marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015