The Gods of Greenwich

The Gods of Greenwich

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  177 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Forget about Bernie Madoff or Gordon Gekko—there’s a new villain on Wall Street…

Norb Vonnegut didn’t realize how close he skirted to non-fiction when he was writing his spectacular debut Top Producer. Penned before tumultuous revelations and scandals rocked the financial world in late 2008, Vonnegut’s novel depicts, with an insider’s solid knowledge, the tricks that the in...more
Published April 26th 2011 by Minotaur Books (first published April 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Gods of Greenwich, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gods of Greenwich

The Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom WolfeA Conspiracy of Paper by David LissThe Gods of Greenwich by Norb VonnegutTrade Secrets by Holly RoznerBond Girl by Erin Duffy
Trading Fiction
3rd out of 63 books — 20 voters
The Shock Doctrine by Naomi KleinGlobalization and Its Discontents by Joseph E. StiglitzGriftopia by Matt TaibbiThe Big Short by Michael LewisThe House of Medici by Christopher Hibbert
Corporatocracy: Good, Bad, Truth, Fiction
80th out of 120 books — 36 voters

More lists with this book...

Jennifer Defoy
I have to admit that when the opportunity to review this book was presented to me I did it simply because the name Vonnegut was on it. Now I know he's just a distant cousin, but how great would it be for two (even distant) members of the same family are great authors??

I really liked Cusack, the main character. He was so likeable. He has charisma and could probably sell anything to anyone, but he never was out to get anyone (well at least until the end of the book, but I can't give that away!)....more
I will confess: my first thought in checking this out was "God, I hope he doesn't do the Vonnegut name a serious disgrace..." I said that not knowing he is related to his more famous cousin, and how I wish I hadn't known. This was disappointing, to say the least. Norb Vonnegut clearly has an abundance of information to build finance industry based novels on, and with better editing and more variety in language, it actually could be a 4-star read instead of 1.5 stars. The plot is there, albeit a...more
David Lentz
I bought this book as I live in Greenwich and have spent years working in financial services. So curiosity got the better of me concering what Vonnegut would do with his rich subject matter. I have seen more than my fair share of driven, materialistic, egomaniacs flaunting their vast wealth vainly among the profilic Maseratis and mansions of Greenwich. Conspicuous consumption may well have been invented here. Ayn Rand is alive, well and much too revered in Greenwich. If a hedge fund manager were...more
Miles
It's all about the money ! ! !
As I write more reviews while I'm semi-retired, I become more aware that I'm a reader, not a writer. I purchased this First Edition Hardcover book on Amazon.com on August 14, 2012. I'd only begun reading more since finding myself between projects as a Building Construction Manager, due to the bursting of the financial bubble. I'd already divested myself of most of my 'upside-down' real estate and I was making plans to move to the Philippine Islands, where my wife is...more
Vonetta

As a finance MBA student, this book was right up my alley. As a writer with an English degree, it was basically an insult to my craft. I tried to get past the flat, redundant, uncreative prose, but I couldn't. I wasn't sure that Vonnegut knew any actual people because no one -- not even psychos -- think as one-dimensionally as these characters. The dialogue outside of the finance-speak did not ring true at all. Go for this book if you're into books solely for the plot, however thin it may be. B...more
Christina
Victoria
I got the book because it was about hedge funds and shorting stock -- two concepts I've struggled to really understand. After reading the book, I do feel I've got a much better handle on hedge funds, why they are being blamed for the financial crisis of our day, and also agree with the need to put more checks and balances in place. The story line is pretty good and it was an enjoyable way to learn about this stuff!
Harvey
I remember liking Vonnegut's first "financial thriller" but found this to be slow, and less than thrilling. The first third sets a good pace to expect a big payoff but then it just crawls to inevitable conclusion you don't care about. Some Harold Robbins-esque atmospherics about life in Greenwich/The Hamptons/Martha's Vineyard thrown in at no extra charge.
Shannon
This screenplay (or is it a novel)? keeps you reading but doesn't strain your brain too much. The first half is something o a roman a clef set in the financial world during its recent collapse; the second half reads like a Tom Clancy novel, but with hedge fund managers instead of spies. It's a fast and fun read.
Melissa Acuna
An easy, fun read--a very good beach read. The description of how the financial collapse of 2008 played out within the hedge funds was credible and compelling.
Despite being a little dismayed that I'd inadvertently selected another serial killing story line, this one was believable.
Lucy Montgomery
I really liked this book. It was not a literary masterpiece, but was an engaging read -- a mystery with the 2008 financial crisis as a backdrop -- and especially interesting having recently read Michael Lewis' (non-fiction) The Big Short about investment banking during the same period.
Tess
Really good plot, but poor prose in places. Needs a good editor. His first book had a good plot, but was also let down by poor writing. This one is definitely an improvement and as I like his main character and love financial thrillers, I'll probably check out his third book.
Wendy
Fast paced and interesting. While this was a work of fiction, the description of the market meltdown of 2008 and what it must have really been like to live and work in Greenwich at that time was captivating. I enjoyed the overlap of story lines and how they came together.
Ron
Change of pace from Michael Connelly. Well written and suspensful story about the dark side of the finance industry, hedge funds. Pleanty of detailed and little known information about how big time investment managers work. Good read.
Dennis McMahon
Real good summer page turner. Just the tonic after reading a bunch of non-fiction related to the financial collapse, hedge funds etc. Having read about the 'real' thing, it enhanced my enjoyment of this book.
Shirley
I read another book by this author a few months ago and was entertained with his story telling talent. This book would appeal to anyone who enjoyed the movie Wall Street. I did think the ending felt rushed.
Bessie
Entertaining and interesting characters but hardly thrilling and not very well written. I bought it off the discount rack, so I'd say it was worth the money but I'd be upset if I'd paid full price!
Dick Reynolds
A fast paced read and full of snappy dialogue with some very clever observations about money and greed in the financial markets. On the down side, it was hard to care much about the characters.
Marianne Meyers
A great summer read! I couldn't put it down, had to race through it. Similar to summer read experiences of the past that were fabulous ""The Firm"" and ""Jurassic Park."
Keith Thomson
An awfully-hard-to-put-down corker set in the fascinating world of Greenwich, Ct, hedge funds. Vonnegut's taut prose is laced with great insights, keen observations and wit.
Sandy Batesel
Awesome book. I'm not very financially minded but was able to follow the book and was pretty proud of myself about that ;-) Very entertaining book. Love this author.
Donna
This is a fun thriller set among Hedge Fund managers during the financial crisis of 08, and featuring a female hitman. Great read for what is left of the summer.
Peg Ward
A fun and interesting summer thriller read that manages to combine hedge funds, Greenwich, CT lifestyles of the wealthy and infamous, and a good ole' fashioned mystery.
Roger Smitter
This is a good read. It makes the language of Wall Street understandable. The plot moves along well. The characters are stereotypical but interesting.
Linda

I do not like finance, hedge funds bewilder me, but I could still enjoy this novel, not great but good.
Maria

Predictable, too simple. Read it because I live in Greenwich and it was fun to read about familiar places.
Matt
Couldn't put this one down. Simple and predictable but I liked the characters.
Frances Wilson

An exciting and fast read and hopefully more fiction that fact!
Katie
Yes, he is related to Kurt (4th cousins). Yes, I googled it.
Kate
Interesting read but needs a better ending
Q&A with Norb...: Searching for.. 1 4 Apr 19, 2012 07:54AM
"Author of glittery thrillers about fiscal malfeasance...his own improbably sexy genre." -Janet Maslin, the New York Times

When money talks…I listen. Always have. I'm fascinated by what can go wrong and spent years on Wall Street dealing with the problems of wealth. Morgan Stanley, Paine Webber, and Kidder Peabody—I've been around the block. Back then, my job was to protect clients from market disa...more
More about Norb Vonnegut...
Top Producer: A Novel of Dark Money, Greed, and Friendship The Trust Mr. President Top Producer: A Novel