Start by marking “The Tinker's Daughter: A Story Based on the Life of Mary Bunyan” as Want to Read:
The Tinker's Daughter: A Story Based on the Life of Mary Bunyan

The Tinker's Daughter: A Story Based on the Life of Mary Bunyan (Daughters of the Faith)

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  135 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
John Bunyan, author of Pilgrim's Progress, only mentioned one of his children in his memoirs: Mary. Born blind in17th-century England, she held a special place inher Father's heart.

When Mr. Bunyan was arrested forunlawful preaching, young Mary travels the streets of Bedford each day, bringing soup to the prison. She resolves to prove she is independent and not hindered by
Published April 1st 2002 by Moody Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Tinker's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tinker's Daughter

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerThe Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim EdwardsThe Kitchen God's Wife by Amy TanThe Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy TanThe French Lieutenant's Woman by John Fowles
The Female Relative Phenomenon
175th out of 197 books — 94 voters
The Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy TanThe Printmaker's Daughter by Katherine GovierThe Tsarina's Daughter by Carolly EricksonThe Daughters of Cain by Colin DexterThe Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey
The List's Daughter
77th out of 146 books — 16 voters

More lists with this book...

Mary Bronson
Mar 17, 2014 Mary Bronson rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a pretty good book. I really enjoyed reading it. I thought it was a nice quick read. I loved Mary Bunyan as a person. Even though she was blind she thought she could do everything and tired her best. It was awesome to know this based off a real person. It was sad to read that she did not live into adulthood. Her true story was that while her father was in prison she would bring him soup everyday. I thought it was interesting of Wendy Lawton to add gypsies into the story and ha ...more
Stephen Koinis
Apr 04, 2015 Stephen Koinis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book!

This 5 star book made a strong-willed daughter of the 1600's as real to me as if she lived next door. Life lessons and historical facts are well-woven into this riveting tale.
Amanda
Apr 02, 2014 Amanda rated it really liked it
I loved this one when I was little. Randomly picked it up yesterday and read it again...was shocked to find Mary was 10. Whaaaat? I always thought she was 13 or something. But maybe I was younger than 10 when I read it?
Tarissa
Feb 12, 2011 Tarissa rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: young girls
I found Mary Bunyan's story very interesting. She was a blind girl, and she had an independent spirit. This book is only a fictional account of her life. Her papa, the famous John Bunyan (author of Pilgrims' Progress) was a preacher. Mary is proud to say he is her father, even when he gets in trouble with the authorities and is sent to prison, because he is doing good works. Mary believes in God, but she also thinks she can handle life by herself, without extra guidance. However, that is not whe ...more
Hannah Shaw
Need to reread.
Paige Mefferd
Jul 26, 2011 Paige Mefferd rated it it was amazing
Mary Bunyan is so much like me in my life!! Always wondering if God really loves her father, John. Though she is blind, she never gives up hope to go, every day, and give her father food, and the hope that he might one day be freed. I found this book the most like me. I love this book!!!!!
Tashaeagar
Nov 02, 2013 Tashaeagar rated it really liked it
I read this out loud to my girls for an assignment. It was a fun read and we learned a lot. I was in tears at that end. I loved how Mary came full circle and realized that everything she thought she was doing for herself was actually God helping her on her journey.
Nov 08, 2007 Laura rated it it was amazing
This book relates well to Pilgrim's Progress. I wanted to reread John Bunyan's masterpiece all over again. This book is great for 5th though 8th graders. The life of Mary is a great read.
Wendy
Jan 11, 2012 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Another sweet true story of struggles and faith for young girls. I love reading these aloud to my girls! Hoping it inspires them andn gives them strength in their own walks with our Abba.
Geraldine
Nov 14, 2008 Geraldine rated it really liked it
this book was sad. it was a daddy daughter story. i reminded me of me and my daddy because i know i would do anything for my dad and i would go to any length to see him happy.
Carolyn Sill
Jul 26, 2011 Carolyn Sill rated it liked it
This was a sweet little book about John Bunyan's blind daughter. She is incredibly independent, but finds her true strength when she allows God in her life.
Annette Steele
Aug 07, 2011 Annette Steele rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. "I can do all things..." vs. "I can do all things through Christ who strengtheneth me." Good lesson to learn.
Brian
Feb 07, 2011 Brian rated it it was ok
A heavily Christian story (not surprising given the character, Mary Bunyan - daughter of John Bunyan.
Mar 27, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it
Very nice, simple story about Mary Bunyan's journey into faith. Quick/easy read.
Faith
May 29, 2012 Faith rated it it was ok
A very short read but none the less good.
Rebekah Johnson-
I learned about Mary Bunyon
Cws
Jan 28, 2009 Cws added it
Shelves: jar-fiction
JAR4-Law
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2016
Gloria
Gloria rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2016
Rachel Kimzey
Rachel Kimzey rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2016
Emily Gardner
Emily Gardner rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2016
Lookingforstars
Lookingforstars marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Gabrielle
Gabrielle marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Crystal Vance
Crystal Vance is currently reading it
Jun 04, 2016
Kaylee
Kaylee rated it really liked it
May 29, 2016
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
  • How Do I Love Thee? (Ladies of History #4)
  • Mary Jones and Her Bible
  • Coronation of Glory: The Story of Lady Jane Grey
  • Mother
  • Aunt Jane's Hero: Portrait of a Christ Centered Home
  • The Hidden Jewel
  • Rebel's Keep (Crown and Covenant, #3)
  • Lottie Moon: Giving Her All for China
  • Esther
  • Second Chance Family
  • Tirzah
  • The Glassblower
  • To Have and to Hold: A Tale of Providence and Perseverance in Colonial Jamestown
  • The Red Keep: A Story of Burgundy in 1165
  • Alone Yet Not Alone

Daughters of the Faith (9 books)
  • Indian Paintbrush: A Story Based on the Life of Young Eliza Spalding Warren
  • Freedom's Pen: A Story Based on the Life of Freed Slave and Author Phillis Wheatley
  • The Captive Princess: A Story Based on the Life of Young Pocahontas
  • Courage to Run: A Story Based on the Life of Harriet Tubman
  • Almost Home: A Story Based on the Life of the Mayflower's Mary Chilton
  • Ransom's Mark: A Story Based on the Life of the Pioneer Olive Oatman
  • The Hallelujah Lass: A Story Based on the Life of Salvation Army Pioneer Eliza Shirley
  • Shadow of His Hand: a Story Based on the Life of Holocaust Survivor Anita Dittman (Daughters of the Faith Series)