Start by marking “The Tinker's Daughter: A Story Based on the Life of Mary Bunyan” as Want to Read:
The Tinker's Daughter: A Story Based on the Life of Mary Bunyan

The Tinker's Daughter: A Story Based on the Life of Mary Bunyan (Daughters of the Faith)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  15 reviews
John Bunyan, author of Pilgrim's Progress, only mentioned one of his children in his memoirs--Mary. Born blind, her story still intrigues us today. Mary developed a fierce determination for independence despite her disability after years of proving she was not hindered by her blindness. Only when she admits she needs help does she tap into the Source of all strength.
Published April 1st 2002 by Moody Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Tinker's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tinker's Daughter

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerThe Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim EdwardsThe Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy TanThe Kitchen God's Wife by Amy TanThe French Lieutenant's Woman by John Fowles
The Female Relative Phenomenon
152nd out of 174 books — 86 voters
Sheepfarmer's Daughter by Elizabeth MoonThe Optimist's Daughter by Eudora WeltyDaughter of the Reef by Clare ColemanThe Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim EdwardsThe Apothecary's Daughter by Charlotte Betts
The List's Daughter
36th out of 121 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Mary Bronson
I thought this was a pretty good book. I really enjoyed reading it. I thought it was a nice quick read. I loved Mary Bunyan as a person. Even though she was blind she thought she could do everything and tired her best. It was awesome to know this based off a real person. It was sad to read that she did not live into adulthood. Her true story was that while her father was in prison she would bring him soup everyday. I thought it was interesting of Wendy Lawton to add gypsies into the story and ha ...more
Amanda
I loved this one when I was little. Randomly picked it up yesterday and read it again...was shocked to find Mary was 10. Whaaaat? I always thought she was 13 or something. But maybe I was younger than 10 when I read it?
Tarissa
Feb 12, 2011 Tarissa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young girls
I found Mary Bunyan's story very interesting. She was a blind girl, and she had an independent spirit. This book is only a fictional account of her life. Her papa, the famous John Bunyan (author of Pilgrims' Progress) was a preacher. Mary is proud to say he is her father, even when he gets in trouble with the authorities and is sent to prison, because he is doing good works. Mary believes in God, but she also thinks she can handle life by herself, without extra guidance. However, that is not whe ...more
Hannah Shaw
Need to reread.
Paige Mefferd
Mary Bunyan is so much like me in my life!! Always wondering if God really loves her father, John. Though she is blind, she never gives up hope to go, every day, and give her father food, and the hope that he might one day be freed. I found this book the most like me. I love this book!!!!!
Tashaeagar
I read this out loud to my girls for an assignment. It was a fun read and we learned a lot. I was in tears at that end. I loved how Mary came full circle and realized that everything she thought she was doing for herself was actually God helping her on her journey.
This book relates well to Pilgrim's Progress. I wanted to reread John Bunyan's masterpiece all over again. This book is great for 5th though 8th graders. The life of Mary is a great read.
Wendy
Another sweet true story of struggles and faith for young girls. I love reading these aloud to my girls! Hoping it inspires them andn gives them strength in their own walks with our Abba.
Geraldine
this book was sad. it was a daddy daughter story. i reminded me of me and my daddy because i know i would do anything for my dad and i would go to any length to see him happy.
Carolyn Sill
This was a sweet little book about John Bunyan's blind daughter. She is incredibly independent, but finds her true strength when she allows God in her life.
Annette Steele
Excellent book. "I can do all things..." vs. "I can do all things through Christ who strengtheneth me." Good lesson to learn.
Brian
A heavily Christian story (not surprising given the character, Mary Bunyan - daughter of John Bunyan.
Very nice, simple story about Mary Bunyan's journey into faith. Quick/easy read.
Faith
A very short read but none the less good.
Rebekah Johnson-
I learned about Mary Bunyon
Cws
Jan 28, 2009 Cws added it
Shelves: jar-fiction
JAR4-Law
Emily Pena
Emily Pena marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Amberle Husbands
Amberle Husbands marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Maddie
Maddie added it
Sep 23, 2014
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Joellen
Joellen marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Kristina Alley
Kristina Alley marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Trisha
Trisha marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Shadow of His Hand: a Story Based on the Life of Holocaust Survivor Anita Dittman (Daughters of the Faith Series) Almost Home: A Story Based on the Life of the Mayflower's Mary Chilton Courage to Run: A Story Based on the Life of Harriet Tubman Ransom's Mark: A Story Based on the Life of the Pioneer Olive Oatman The Hallelujah Lass: A Story Based on the Life of Salvation Army Pioneer Eliza Shirley