Start by marking “The Battle for Commitment Planet (Helfort's War, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Battle for Commitment Planet (Helfort's War, #4)

The Battle for Commitment Planet (Helfort's War #4)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  213 ratings  ·  14 reviews
It was insane, it was suicidal, it was wrong--
and by God he was going to do it.
The Hammer Worlds have Helfort exactly where they want him.The ultimatum is brutal and precise. Unless the Federated hero surrenders, the Hammer World's prisoner Anna Cheung--the only woman Helfort has ever loved--will be handed over to a bunch ofdepraved troopers to be violated, then execute
Published November 23rd 2010 by Random House Publishing Group (first published November 15th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Battle for Commitment Planet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Battle for Commitment Planet

Jim
Final book that is in print, but not the final book of the series, I hope!

The premise for this book is pretty stupid. Here a Lt. in the Federation Space Fleet has knowledge that his sweetheart has been captured and is about to be tortured and killed unless he turns himself over to the enemy! Now, it sure is a good thing that stuff like this doesn't happen in real life.

He's off to rescue his girl friend just like it's an every day thing to do. He doesn't tell anyone except his XO (Executive Offic
Richard Clayton
Another very good effort from Graham Sharp Paul. This time the author of the Helfort's War quintology takes the reader in a different direction. Instead of focusing on space warfare he depicts the brutality of future ground warfare. Forced to take matters into his own hands Michael Helfort leads his own invasion of the Hammer Worlds' home planet. The warfare described is as gritty as any described by other writers of the genre and if very well done.

Without giving away to much Helfort finds hims
Rob
Okay, enoubh is enough. The whole progression from #1 (Moons of Hell) to #4 (Commitment Planet) has been dragging out way too long and has started to feel redundant. The whole situation on Commitment Planet between the the oppressive regime and the revolutionaries was barely believable - much less the minimal impact the freed Federation POW's had. Let's face it, if the government regime already knew where the NPR were hiding and were as ruthless as they had been behaving up through #3, karst or ...more
Neil
The series kind of tailed off for me here. Internal consistency issues came back to bite this series. Examples: the Hammer Leader flitting between cynical manipulator and true-believer fundamentalist, the Federation government suddenly being terribly afraid of supporting regime change, despite discussing arming the rebels in Book 1 and actually preparing an invasion force in Book 2. Plus the suddenly getting married thing seemed slightly forced.

The action was good as usual I'll concede, but with
Sven
The book represents a nice next step in the series. The pace is like all preceding Books quite fast sometimes, but Paul succeeds in never sounding rushed.

The book ends with something of a huge cliffhanger for things to come and let you wonder if the Hammer of Kraa will finally be defeated.
I'm really looking forward for the next book in this series.
Nathan
I keep forgetting how much I enjoy this series and how quick the pages turn. This book has a few universe inconsistencies and falls back on some pretty personal motives driving some very political figures... a bit too much for me to fully suspend disbelief.

Despite that, I really enjoy the characters, story, and writing style.
Richard
Not as good as the first 3 books. This one felt rushed, unfocused, and the personality of the main character seems to have changed somewhat. I also did not like the cliff-hanger ending, which just sets me up to have to purchase book number 5.
Matthew
Bastard Author makes you wait for another installment. WHy do they always do this to me???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message to Author: its just a a joke about the bastard part!!!!

Good book, and can't wait to see how the feds respond!!!!!!
Tbloxham
I'd say this was the best yet in this series, Helfort really seems to be taking off as a developed hero, now we just need to see some greater interest than the rather anemic villains of the piece and this will be an excellent series.
Patrick
That next book had better be here soon. The old serials could leap off the cliff and ask how ever will the hero survive this one because it was a week intween the cliff and the rescue.
Chant
All of a sudden Michael's a spineless bumbling fumbling feckless fool, and Anna turns into a super soldier? Oh, Please.
Mike O'Brien
I like the series and this book is another a really good old style SF space combat novel in the series.
Nicholas
Another good addition to the series
Chris Huntley
Chris Huntley marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Daniel Pustějovský
Daniel Pustějovský marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Name
Name marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
  • Antares Dawn (Antares #1)
  • The Clone Elite (Rogue Clone, #4)
  • Center of Gravity (Star Carrier, #2)
  • Stark's Command (Stark's War, #2)
  • Wings of Hell (Starfist, #13)
  • Wolf Star (Tour of the Merrimack, #2)
  • Daring (Kris Longknife, #9)
  • Ride the Rising Tide (The Maxwell Saga, #2)
  • Hardship (Theirs Not to Reason Why, #4)
  • The Empire's Corps (The Empire's Corps, #1)
Graham Sharp Paul, born in Sri Lanka, received an honors degree in archaeology and anthropology from Cambridge University and an MBA from Macquarie University. He joined the Royal Navy in 1972, qualifying as a mine warfare and clearance diving officer before reaching the rank of lieutenant commander with the Navy's mine warfare flotilla. In 1983 he transferred to the Royal Australian Navy, serving ...more
More about Graham Sharp Paul...

Helfort's War (5 books)
  • The Battle at the Moons of Hell (Helfort's War, #1)
  • The Battle of the Hammer Worlds (Helfort's War, #2)
  • The Battle of Devastation Reef (Helfort's War, #3)
  • The Final Battle (Helfort's War, #5)
The Battle at the Moons of Hell (Helfort's War, #1) The Battle of the Hammer Worlds (Helfort's War, #2) The Battle of Devastation Reef (Helfort's War, #3) The Final Battle (Helfort's War, #5) Helfort's War Book 3: The Battle of Devastation Reef