Start by marking “Franklin Goes To School” as Want to Read:
Franklin Goes To School

Franklin Goes To School (Franklin the Turtle)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  4,146 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Franklin learns to overcome his fears on the first day of school. Full color.
Published September 1st 1995 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Franklin Goes To School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Franklin Goes To School

Janette Fuller
Franklin was going to school for the very first time. He woke up very early and felt like his tummy was "full of jumping frogs". Franklin's parents walked him to the bus stop and gave him a big hug. Franklin was worried...What if he wasn't smart enough to go to school? Who would be his teacher? Would he have any friends?

When Franklin got to school, his teacher discovered that he was a good artist. Franklin drew pictures, read a book and made a building of blocks. He had a wonderful day at school
Dolly
Jan 13, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with younger children
This is an entertaining and helpful story in the Franklin the Turtle series by Paulette Bourgeois. I'm not sure why we never really got into this series (after all, we love turtles!) Now our girls are getting a bit old for stories like this, so I'm not sure how many more we'll read.

I found this book available in an ebook version through our local library and I decided that I would read it, even if our girls weren't interested. Our girls were willing to let me read it to them, and even though it'
Chase Vombaur
This is a great book to read to children who are nervous about going to school. Going to school for the first time is a big deal. It's easy to understand why kids get nervous about it. It's their first time away from their family for that long of a time. There in a room with a bunch of strangers, they also will be having a teacher for the first time. Young franklin is excited about his first day of school. When Franklin boards the bus the reality sets in, he gets nervous and scared. He wonders i ...more
Julie Witt
I got this book free of charge from Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.

First I have to say it: I love Franklin books!! I have been reading them to my kids for approximately 20 years, and they are just as good today as they were back then!

I got this book on my Kindle, which I was afraid would affect the enjoyment my 5 year old son would get because I was afraid the illustrations wouldn't show up well. Although they weren't as vibrant as the paper version of the book would be, they were cl
Aubree Cash
Loved franklin as a kid as well. always has a great story line and illustrations. Franklin was worried for his first day of school but shows that schools fun and that's a good book too read around the beginning of the school year to 1-3rd grade.
Annie
Similar to the Arthur series, Franklin books are based off of a TV show. Again, I think it's a great way to get kids into reading and the books tend to address issues that all kids face, like being scared of the first day of school.
Megan
Genre: Picture Book
Audience: K-3
Topic: Starting School
Theme: Overcoming fears
Curricular Uses: Read Aloud, Independent Reading
Reading Level: Transitional Readers
Literary Elements: Some rhyme, dialogue
Illustrations: Bright, illustrations that reinforce the text. The detail used for the characters really expresses the emotions that characters are feeling.
Additional Comments: This is a great book about starting school for the first time. I like that Bourgeois uses the owl as the teacher because o
Greta is Erikasbuddy
How fantastic!!

The little turtle is growing up and today is his first day of school. Waking up at the crack of dawn he can't contain his excitement until it's time to go over to the bus stop. Now things just got real and Franklin is a tad bit overwhelmed. Beaver can read her favorite book and Fox can write his numbers. But what can Franklin do?

At school, Mr. Owl shows Franklin that he is smarter than he thinks and there are many things at school that he will enjoy.

A super squee book to enjoy w
Amie Anderson
Franklin Goes to School is a picture book geared towards kids ages 4-6. It tells the story of Franklin the turtle, who does not want to go to school for the first time. He feels inferior to his peers who are already able to read and write. His teacher, though, encourages Franklin in his special talent of art, which makes Franklin feel very special and helps him enjoy school. Children will relate with Franklin and this could help some children who might be anxious about going to school. The genre ...more
Maria Medeiros
This is a fantastic book! I read this book to my daughter before she started JK. I am so glad i still have it so i can read it to my youngest daughter also. It's a great book to introduce the concept of going to school. Truly wonderful!
Deborah Harris
Lisa
Feb 06, 2009 Lisa rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: children
The story is about a turtle named Franklin who is getting ready for school for the first time. It shows him being excited, scared, and worried.
The story tells what Franklin does when he gets to school, at school, and when he gets home he tells his parents how the day went.
K.
Going to school for the first time can be a very exciting, happy experience for kids. However, when the first day comes and you're standing there waving good-bye that happiness can easily turn to fear. Will Franklin overcome his fear on his first day of school?
Tam
This is a cute book for my 4-year-old even though he isn't in school yet. I liked the way the teacher was portrayed. He noticed something was bothering Franklin and he talked to him about it. He made Franklin feel special and he asked him what he wanted to learn.
Brittany
First day of school can be nerve-wrecking, however it is exciting and fun! This would be a good book to read on the first day of school because every child is likely to relate to something out of this book about their first day of school experience.
Tracy Poff
The message is the same as usual for 'first day of school' books--that school is fun and interesting and that the child's anxieties will be soon forgotten. But both text and illustrations are charming--it's certainly a worthy example of the type.
Sammy
I like the Franklin books because they all have an issue that Franklin is going through that children have to deal with also. It is easy for children to identify with Franklin's fears of the first day of school. It's hard not to love Franklin.
Karen
Nov 19, 2014 Karen rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pre-school children and their parents
I like Franklin. He has real kid experiences. You can talk about what Franklin does, and how it makes him feel. This one is about the first day of school...doesn't want to go...feels inadequate...has a great day!
Kirei
I always thought Franklin was in the first or second grade, but this book shows him as a preschooler or a kindergartener. Anyway, he is nervous about school and discovers it is fun.
Prw41894
Franklin always overcomes fears that so many children have, he always gets over his problems with friends and family and it teaches children how to cope with different issues.
Beth
Franklin is excited for his first day of school and then nervous seeing how much his classmates at the bus stop know. He learns that he is good and art. Franklin loves school!
Jillian McAdams
A great book for those first few days of school. Talks about being nervous and finding things that will make you shine.
Rachel
Great book to read the first week of school. It shows Franklin working through the fears about school and going off.
Keli Wright
Jan 27, 2008 Keli Wright rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!!!!
Recommended to Keli by: I just thought it was cute and got it.
Franklin is the best I love the illustrations and the stories. I want to collect them all :)
Angi M
Jul 18, 2008 Angi M rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 4 year olds
Shelves: kidsbooks
Franklin books are the perfect bedtime stories. Just the right size- not too short, not too long.
Shacoria
The only comment I have about this book is "awwww" It's really cute and really sweet.
Katelin
Great message on the first day of school and everyone having individual strengths.
Stacy Vance
Great book to read at the beginning of the year. Kids seemed to enjoy this book.
Mischa
We love the Franklin books, always a great message and cute story and pictures.
  • Clifford's Family
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to School
  • Arthur's Pet Business (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Curious George Makes Pancakes
  • Just Going to the Dentist (Little Critter)
  • Froggy Goes to School
  • Biscuit Goes to School
  • Curious George Learns the Alphabet
  • Ups And Downs: A Book About Floating And Sinking (The Magic School Bus)
  • The Magic School Bus Gets Eaten: A Book About Food Chains: A Book About Food Chains
  • Corduroy Lost and Found
  • Trick or Treat, Little Critter (Little Critter)
Born in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Bourgeois graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in Occupational therapy from the University of Western Ontario in 1974. She was a psychiatric occupational therapist for three years before deciding to focus on her writing. She studied journalism at Carlton University then worked as a reporter for the Ottawa Citizen and CBC Television. She became a freelance journal ...more
More about Paulette Bourgeois...
Franklin Is Bossy Franklin Wants a Pet Franklin In The Dark Franklin's Halloween Franklin Is Lost