Start by marking “Den forbudte bog” as Want to Read:
Den forbudte bog

Den forbudte bog

I bryllupsgave har Orsina Riviera della Motta fået en yderst hemmelig og meget speciel udgave af en gammel og, der er fyldt med mystiske alkymistiske symboler.

Orsina tilkalder sin tidligere lærer og mentor Leo Kavenaugh for at få ham til at hjælpe sig med at tyde bogen. De kaster sig over opgaven med stor entusiasme, men da Orsinas onkel erfarer, at Orsina har vist bogen t
Published 2007 by Politiken

To ask other readers questions about Den forbudte bog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Den forbudte bog

Ana Esteves
May 14, 2013 Ana Esteves rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A “Master Key” to understand our times

“The Forbidden Book” is one of those rare works of contemporary fiction that escape the compartimentalization of the literary market and delight both the imagination and the intellect. It’s based on a provocative premise: That the roots of violence and “evil” may be closer to “home” than we think, and that a “limping” power often shoots itself on the foot to remain standing.

The authors achieved a combination of masterful and inspiring storytelling with firs
Brian
I won this as part of Goodreads' First Read program. Here is my honest review.

I really enjoyed and really disliked this book. I would yo-yo back and forth depending on what parts I read. Sure the book is well written and reads quickly, the story moves fast with plenty of twists and turns, it is rooted in actual history, and deals with the esoteric and occult. But the plot is predictable and thin, the characters are cliched, the bad guy is under-developed, and we are told something happened after
Jen
This was a First Reads GiveAway.

I'm afraid this book failed to capture my attention. I wasn't able to develop an affection for any of the characters. It took me a while to get the gist of the magical plot. Does the book want to be supernatural/fanasty or action or romance?

As the action picked up towards the end I was able to become a little more engaged. I did like the descriptions of Venice, the place has always fasinated me.

Thank you for the opportuninty to read your book.

Donald
Apr 25, 2013 Donald rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Occult thriller meets Giallo, "The Forbidden Book" is a perfect companion on your long weekend or daily commute. Joscelyn Godwin's masterful grasp of Hermeticism and Guido Mina Di Sospiro's elegant storytelling and knowledge of the historical terrain of Europe have created a tactile adventure through the pages of our darkest paths to immortality. This is a must read for your summer 2013!
Henni
Nov 24, 2010 Henni rated it did not like it
Shelves: opgivet, 2010, solgt
Efter at have kæmpet mig igennem de første 100 sider, indså jeg at denne bog bare ikke fængede mig, men heller ikke gjorde mig nysgerrig over slutningen, så den blev lagt til side.
Megan
[Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the Goodreads Giveaway]

Overall, this book was just "okay" for me, but since it wasn't bad I didn't want to just give it two stars, so that's why it gets three.

Minor spoilers after this point.

I enjoyed the mystery aspect of the book, but felt that it was trying to go in three different directions, none of which matched up quite as well as it seems the authors had wanted. It's one part mystery - who killed Angela and kidnapped Orsina? - one part mys
Ashley E
Sep 09, 2013 Ashley E rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads

This was a hard book for me, both to read and to review. If you want a light, fluffy read, please look elsewhere. Whatever else, this book is very deep and requires some thought to follow. Honestly, for me, it was a bit too much. I love a great mystery/conspiracy as much as the next person, but I just couldn't get into the story or the characters very easily.

The thing is, this is a beautifully crafted story. The writing is simply lovely, and the plot comes together so perfectly at the e
David Pantano
Dec 30, 2013 David Pantano rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
What initially strikes the reader of hermetic literature as a highly sought after premise for an exegesis on one of the most arcane and rare books of the Ars Regia variant of Renaissance Hermeticism (Il Mondo Magico degli Heroi)quickly becomes bogged down in a schlock parody of post-modern romance novels. Replete with banal and tin foil-like characters such as an evil Julius Evola-like Baron and a protagonist cum-do-gooder American priest who is torn between mundane love and the quest to unravel ...more
Anne-sophie Olsen
Sep 15, 2011 Anne-sophie Olsen rated it did not like it
What a waste of time... and I had actually looked forward to reading this. It sounded very promising... what a disappointment.

Next time when trying to write an exciting book with a thick plot and an eerie undertone of the occult, please try to actually make it exciting, the characters credible along with the story, and with a not so see through plot... oh and don't make the occult into some hippie mumbojumbo crap with a pedofile added to the mix for excitement and shock effect.. it certainly did
Jamie
Apr 20, 2013 Jamie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, giveaways
I received "The Forbidden Book" through the Goodreads' First Read program. Thanks Goodreads!

This was a fun, quick read that I enjoyed. Despite it's problems -- predictability & thin character development -- I finished the book. I usually have numerous books going at once, and jump around between them. This I finished without interruptions, a rarity.

I'll pass "The Forbidden Book" on to other fans of occult mystery, noting that it isn't the best written book you've ever read but it is entertai
Cristina Pana
Pentru a tine cititorul interesat, autorii au recurs la tot felul de "socuri" (o carte interzisa "muritorilor de rand", magie neagra, incest, o iubire in suferinta, un complot la nivel inalt, cateva vise reale, scene pline de sange...). Pe mine nu a reusit sa ma convinga sa-i dau mai mult de doua stelute la notare, si asta pentru ca mi s-a parut o poveste fortata si neconvingatoare. Stiul de scris este voit greoi, pasaje intregi parca fiind copiate dintr-o carte pe care nu o intelege nimeni.
Susana
Jun 30, 2014 Susana rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes, you are just not willing to endure the poor writing in order to discover the story. This was one of those times. I rarely abandon a book, but I am being to feel that if you are constantly annoyed or disappointed by cliches, lack of character depth, head swiveling transitions and predictable everything, just move on.
Michael Kotsarinis
Δεν ήταν άσχημο έχει ενδιαφέρουσα πλοκή, μερικούς ίσως κουράσουν κάποια αποσπάσματα αλλά το όνομα του Joscelyn Godwin που συνυπογράφει το βιβλίο αποτελεί εγγύηση για την ακρίβεια και την εγκυρότητα όσων περιγράφονται. Διαβάζεται ευχάριστα σε 1-2 απογεύματα, αν το βρείτε σε καλή τιμή ή το δανεικό δοκιμάστε το.
Bronwen Lacey
Odd! Gripping but odd. It just kept going and going and I still couldn't put it down. By the end I hadn't decided if I really enjoyed it but I was relieved to have made it through to the end and was left with no nagging questions. What I did really enjoy was the beautiful descriptions of Italy. I was transported.
David
Jul 16, 2013 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has numerous twists and the esoteric content is pretty fascinating. The plot is engaging although the romantic elements as well as the character development is pretty weak and often cliched.
Dolly
Jun 13, 2013 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this on GoodReads. I really enjoyed all the twists and turns. The authors did a lot of research in early occult books. A great read even though a few characters were predictable.
Toni McKilligan
I kept hoping it would get better. It didn't.
Simonaa
Jan 31, 2016 Simonaa marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
SL
Nikodemus
Nikodemus rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2014
Søren Hansen
Søren Hansen rated it it was ok
Nov 15, 2014
Oscar
Oscar rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2015
Brian Jacobsen
Brian Jacobsen rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2012
Bojan
Bojan rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2015
MICHAEL RINGGAARD
MICHAEL RINGGAARD rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2011
Jim Sanderson
Jim Sanderson rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2013
Teerreepie
Teerreepie rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2013
Guido Mina di sospiro
Guido Mina di sospiro rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2013
Gene Semel
Gene Semel rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2013
Maria Paula
Maria Paula rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2014
John
John rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Exploring Faith and Reason: The Reconciliation of Christianity and Biological Evolution
  • Mercurius: The Marriage of Heaven and Earth
  • The Rosicrucian Enlightenment (Routledge Classics)
  • The Breed
  • The Hero
  • Leah and the Jackhammer
  • Collegium Sorcerorum: Thaddeus of Beewicke
  • Kali's Heel
  • I am not a Buddhist
  • The Devil's Doctor: Paracelsus and the World of Renaissance Magic and Science
  • Global Brand Power: Leveraging Branding for Long-Term Growth
  • The Origins of the Mithraic Mysteries: Cosmology and Salvation in the Ancient World
  • John Dee’s Five Books of Mystery: Original Sourcebook of Enochian Magic
  • Learning to Play With a Lion's Testicles: Unexpected Gifts From the Animals of Africa
  • Brides of the Storm (Galveston Hurricane Mystery, #2)
  • Tal: A Conversation with an Alien
  • The Unseen Promise (Tarkeenia Series #1)
  • George W. Hamilton, USMC: America's Greatest World War I Hero
Guido Mina de Sospiro is an award-winning, internationally published novelist born in Argentina, raised in Italy, and educated in the United States. A graduate of the University of Southern California, he lives in the Washington, DC, area with his wife and their three sons.
More about Guido Mina di Sospiro...