When You Dare (Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor, #1)
read excerpt

When You Dare (Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor #1)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  7,520 ratings  ·  669 reviews
The tougher they are, the harder they fall…

Professional mercenary Dare Macintosh lives by one hard and fast rule: business should never be personal. If a cause appeals to him and the price is right, he'll take the mission he's offered. But then the lovely Molly Alexander asks him to help her track down the men who'd had her kidnapped—and for the first time, Dare's tempted...more
Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages
Published April 26th 2011 by HQN Books (first published January 1st 2011)

A Lot like Love by Julie JamesBreaking Point by Pamela ClareHead Over Heels by Jill ShalvisShadowfever by Karen Marie MoningLover Unleashed by J.R. Ward
Top 3 Romance Reads - 2011
11th out of 610 books — 1,046 voters
The Perfect Play by Jaci BurtonLover Avenged by J.R. WardLover Mine by J.R. WardInsatiable by Lauren DaneCity of Bones by Cassandra Clare
Hottest Guy on a Cover
24th out of 1,098 books — 1,539 voters

More lists with this book...

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine...

When You Dare is the first book in the Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor series and my introduction to Lori Foster’s writing.

The basis of this story is one of the more heinous crimes imaginable - human trafficking, and the rescue of a group of females being held in Tijuana, Mexico. We don’t see the actual rescue, which was unfortunate, but pick up almost immediately afterward when our hero, Dare Macintosh, has brought two of the victims, Alani and our heroine Molly, back into the United States. Da...more
Logan
First impressions: Hello, pretty cover. I'd ask how you are, but I think it's fairly obvious. You're doing great. So what's going on back there, behind your beautiful abs of awesome? No, you're right. I don't really care.

Lasting impressions: A smart, strong woman meets a smart, strong man and somehow both are surprised they fall in love. I'm all about the slow burn, but with this one I was snapping my fingers hoping they'd move it along. I gots thangs to do.

Conflicting impressions: Dare is a mer...more
Holly
This is the first book in a new series from Lori Foster, and let me say what a fantastic start to the series it was. There is a prequel in the anthology The Guy Next Door, just and FYI.

As stated by LF herself, the new series revolves around uber-Alpha hunks. The men are similar to private mercenaries, so they're big, capable, a little dangerous and oh-so-sexy. When it comes to rescuing the innocent, they do what has to be done. Foster calls them the men who 'walk the edge of honor!'

The first in...more
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
First I am a gay man and I am 25 at the time of this review. That is going to influence how I enjoy this book.
Second I only started this because I want to get to Chris' book What Chris Wants

This book starts off okay. Not really exciting or actiony. It starts after all the action has already happened, kind of a WTF, right?

I did like them getting to know each other and all that stuff. At at first I liked that they were always together but now I'm 55% and it seems like nothing has happened. It's r...more
Crystal ♥ RBtWBC
4.5 stars!

Hot action and scorching romance, Lori Foster delivers it all in When you Dare!

Dare Macintosh is in Mexico rescuing his friends sister from flesh traders when he sees another woman in the shack looking worse off then any of the others. When he finds her unconscious he can’t leave her there, so he brings this new complication out with them and back across the border.
Molly Alexander is a romantic suspense author and she has no clue why she was kidnapped, she is definitely not like the ot...more
Dee
Re-Read February 2012

I loved this book much more than I did when I originally read it and would definately not dither now rating it at 4 stars! I think my original thoughts were because it was the first book in a new series and because I was a little miffed about the anthology The Guy Next Dooras I thought this book/story was not necessary to the series and felt it was a bit of a money spinner/page filler.

Dare is a super sexy alpha male and a good guy who rescues 2 women from a human Traffickin...more
Jacqueline
This was a solid read but nothing really lifted it out of the ordinary. The heroine didn't have any real TSTL moments but she didn't have anything really outstanding in her personality that would make me remember her as a heroine after the book is over. There weren't any of the funny bits that I know Ms. Foster is capable of. The suspense was okay but a bit slow moving. A lot of the story was the relationship between Dare and Molly. Dare was not as fully developed as Molly so you didn't know him...more
chanceofbooks
Dare Macintosh is a hero who spends his life rescuing people from dangerous situations, going where traditional organizations can't or won't. Thus, when he's rescuing his friend's sister from human traffickers, and he discovers Molly Alexander, he rescues her too, without regard to how complicated his life just became. Luckily for all of us, Lori Foster is an author who excels at resolving complications like Molly for men like Dare.

Foster has been one of my very favorite authors all the way bac...more
Hbeebti
I have read one or two books by Lori Foster and would get about half way through and the book just kinda fizzled for me. This one however was soooooo good! Yep I have to say that I seriously loved it. Cant wait to read the next one in the series. The next one is about Trace....

Dare is out to rescue his best friends sister and he find not only her but other women held captive in Mexico for a flesh trade. But Molly isn't there like the other women . She is held separate and is pretty much tortured...more
Tam
Something's different. Did you do something to your hair? New glasses? Why do I ask? Well, something different and you look great ... not that you didn't look good before but now ... wow.

Take that (above) and apply it to Lori Foster and her latest release. It was just: wow. I am just dripping ... from excitement over this book. It was an absolute joy to read.

I read the prequel which appears in The Guy Next Door and didn't care much for it. I actually got an advanced reader copy of this particu...more
~J~ Riverina Romantics
I am still practically a virgin to the writing style of Lori Foster. Apart from this novel I have only read a novella by her, so I am still undecided on how I feel about how much I like her.

She is definitely a talented lady, that is evident from the amount of books she has released – however I don’t think she is anywhere near the caliber of someone such as Pamela Clare who has you hooked with every word.

I really enjoyed When You Dare. Dare was the strong, sexy type that I can vividly imagine e...more
Regina
This is my first Lori Foster book and it is the start of a new series by Lori Foster and I have to say I was impressed. I typically do not like straight romance novels, they just are not my preferred reading genre – basically I get bored with them. What Lori Foster does in When You Dare, is definitely romance. Foster adds in strong elements of suspense, mystery and mixes these with great character development and the result is a story that is a fantastic read. I could not put it down and I canno...more
Jess the Romanceaholic
This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

Expected Release Date: April 26, 2011
Publisher: Harlequin
Imprint: HQN Books
Author’s Website: http://lorifoster.com/
My Source for This Book: Netgalley

Part of a Series: Yes, Book 1 of Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor
Steam Level: Steamy

Official Blurb:
The tougher they are, the harder they fall…

Mandi Schreiner
When you Dare is the first book I have read by Lori Foster and also the first in a new series. We are introduced to the super sexy, majorly alpha Dare Macintosh. Smexy approves.

Dare has made his living rescuing women who have been kidnapped by human traffickers. Dare has helped many and made a lot of money and is now winding down his career. That is until a good friend of his is kidnapped and taken to Tijuana. During her rescue he finds Molly Alexander among the women caged, abused and half star...more
Erika  Badass
YES! Lori Foster is BACK! I've read a lot of books by this author, most I liked, some I didn't. The ones I didn't like (Impetuous, My Man Michael) are kicking up dust to this new series of uber sexy alpha men. Look, Look at the sexy cover! DELICIOUS!

Dare Mcintosh, a mercenary on a mission to rescue his best friends sister from the human traffickers of Mexico; stumbles upon a beaten, dirty and disheveled woman in the same holding shed as Alayni (the sister) His honor won't allow him to leave her...more
Lisa Kay

★★★★✩ I enjoyed this book. Shades of a past book of hers Just a Hint - Clint, but that's okay, b/c I re-read that one from time to time. Loved Molly and Dare. Molly is a nice, plain and shy writer who is about to get a movie deal. Dare a strong, dangerous hunk, who knows how to get people out of serious trouble in perilous locals; nevertheless, he’s gentle with Molly. I was a little thrown, when he lowered her to the dock to make love to her… and I turned the page… and there were almost two pa...more
Sophia (FV)
Rating 3.5

Originally reviewed at Fiction Vixen

When You Dare is the first book in Lori Foster’s Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor series. How can a girl say no to a series title like that? I enjoy romantic suspense and if it features a hot sexy alpha male who’s name is Dare and a smokin’ hot cover even better!

Molly has been kidnapped and taken across the Mexican border to Tijuana presumably by white slave traders. But she doesn’t fit the typical profile for women who generally fall victim to this so...more
Lisa (Fic Talk)
review to come later.

Just know that Dare is UNF-tastic.

I posted my review on www.fic-talk.com and on the FicTalk Blog goodreads account.

REVIEW

Many thanks to Harlequin for the ARC!

When You Dare is the first in the Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor series by Lori Foster. The series features uber-alpha, overprotective, and strong males. Her writing is just superb.
When You Dare by Lori Foster
The heroine, Molly, is not your typical female lead who plays the damsel in distress routine. No, not at all....more
Lisa
When you Dare is the first book I have read by Lori Foster. I really enjoyed this one.

Dare MacIntosh discovers Molly Alexander, beaten and half-starved, among other women during a rescue in Tijuana. Dare discovers that Molly was with the kidnappers for different reasons than the other women he found and he wants to get to the bottom of it. Molly is a popular author who was living in Ohio when she was kidnapped. Waking up from nine days of pure horror, she finds comfort and safety with Dare even...more
~Megan~
Romantic suspense is my absolute favorite genre, and this one was so good! Dare made my best heroes ever list, and he definitely earned his place.

Molly is rescued by Dare in the very beginning of the book from a torturous captivity. She has been through so much, and is so fragile at the beginning of the book it just about broke my heart. Dare is kind of abrupt and aloof, but he fell hard for his woman.

I figured out the mystery portion of it pretty early, but it was still a good read getting ther...more
Leah

I picked this book up on a whim one day when I was grocery shopping because, big surprise, the cover caught my eye. The description on the back sounded interesting, but embarrassingly enough, I made the decision to buy it because I liked the hero's name. Tsk, tsk, how shallow of me. However, my shallowness was a good thing because I actually liked the book! This was my first by Lori Foster, so I can't really comment if her writing was up to par compared to her other books, but I though...more
Emmi
Ummm... Five Stars based on the yummy cover alone!!

Excited for a new series from Foster.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm digging this series from Foster. I've been waiting for something new from her for a while. The book was good, everything you'd expect from a romantic suspense. Uber alpha male that is sooo yummy. Funny and lovable secondary characters. A heroine thats a little odd, but totally likable.

My only complaint is that the entire time they...more
Amanda
3 1/2 stars - definitely redeeming from her previous series, but there was something missing in it for me. I think it was that the heroine was so perfect in everyway - she was modest, smart, kind to everyone, dogs loved her, people loved her, booming career, and I could go on. A lot of the book seemed dedicated to telling the reader how great she was and it got a little tired for me and a little unrealistic.

The person who ordered her kidnapping was also pretty obvious, but I did enjoy watching D...more
Merc
This book should really be 3 stars but I just loved all the characters so much I added the fourth one just for them. Molly was inspiring and Dare was just plain H..O..T. The story started so interesting but then ended up just too predictable for a romantic suspense. OK going to give the next book in the series a try because I want to see what happens with Trace. I'm hoping there's a little more suspense in that one!
Pamela(AllHoney)
The first book in Lori Foster's series, Men Who Walk The Edge Of Honor. Almost a 5 star. I enjoyed the mix of romance and suspense/mystery and felt the development was well done. The mystery was fairly easy to figure out and I'd have like to seen the rescue itself included but overall it was an excellent read. Looking forward to the rest of the series.
Angela
LOVED this book! Hoping the rest are this good! I loved Dare... smokin hot, protective, dangerous & sweet. Whats not to love?! I loved how strong Molly was. Great story & amazing chemistry! onto the next!!
Dina
3 1/2 stars (rounded up to 4 stars, because... hmmm... well, just look at the cover of the book, LOL)

Link to the series trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxxWFw... *THUD!!!
Tina Cipolla
Oct 03, 2011 Tina Cipolla rated it 2 of 5 stars Recommends it for: No one
I have not read a Harlequin romance since elementary school. I will be the first to admit that this is much improved over the stuff I read from Halequin in the late 70's. That said, there is no way around the fact that this book (and the others in this series) are nothing other than pure, unmitigated garbage. The crime, the characters, the dialogue, the relationships, the villians--not any of it is believable. Because it is Harlequin, even the sex scenes are watered down. I'm forcing myself to r...more
Sharon

When You Dare is the first novel I have read by Author, Lori Foster and the first in the Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor series.

Dare Macintosh is a Professional Mercenary who is in Tijuana, Mexico to rescue his best friends sister from human traffickers, in the process of retrieving her he finds another American woman who has been drugged, beaten, starved and abused; so in an act of goodwill rescues her as well.

Molly Alexander is a famous Romantic Suspense au...more
Jae
I was sooooo not into this. Too slow paced for a suspense-thriller book.

You would expect being a security expert that he was, Dare would get a move on in solving the abduction and the culprit. But nooooo, he took her to his home to have a shower and meet his assistant and his dogs and he cooked her breakfast and she took shower some more and then she ordered her clothes through the net and his assistant picked up the thing and she scratched the dogs ears and needed to shower after that. Jeez, a...more
  • Hush (Lodestone Trilogy, #1)
  • With No Remorse (Black Ops, #6)
  • Lie With Me (Shadow Force, #1)
  • Under Fire (Elite Force, #3)
  • Sweet Justice (Last Chance Rescue, #7)
  • Whispers in the Dark (KGI, #4)
  • Deadly Lies (Deadly, #3)
  • Breaking Point (I-Team, #5)
  • The Heart of a Killer (The Killer, #1)
  • Relentless (Suspense Series, #4)
  • Edge of Sight (The Guardian Angelinos, #1)
  • Shoot to Thrill (Passion For Danger, #1)
Since first publishing in January 1996, Lori Foster has become a Waldenbooks, Borders, USA Today, Publisher’s Weekly and New York Times bestselling author. Lori has published through a variety of houses, including Kensington, St. Martin’s, Harlequin, Silhouette and Samhain. She is currently with Berkley/Jove.

Lori believes it’s important to give back to the community as much as possible, and for th...more
More about Lori Foster...
Savor the Danger (Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor, #3) Trace of Fever (Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor, #2) A Perfect Storm (Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor, #4) Causing Havoc (SBC Fighters, #1) The Guy Next Door (Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor, #0.5; Donovan Brothers Brewery, #0.5)

“Good grief, Molly. He doesn't scare you?"
"Of course not."
"But he's..."
"He's sweet," Molly insisted.
Dare snorted. "He's still listening.”
48 likes
“Emotion choked her. “Since meeting you you’ve made me feel a lot of things. But not guilt. Not even when I kicked you.”
He smiled. “Glad to hear it. So what do you say we go check on your sister? I can almost picture her with her ear to the door.”
Through the door, Natalie said. “Damn right. Now bring my sister back out her.”
21 likes