Start by marking “Speed Dating with the Dead” as Want to Read:
Speed Dating with the Dead
Read eBook* *Different edition

Speed Dating with the Dead

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  641 ratings  ·  128 reviews
"Keep both hands on your pants, because Nicholson is about to scare them off."-- J.A. Konrath/Jack Kilborn

A paranormal conference at the most haunted hotel in the Southern Appalachian mountains . . .

A man’s promise to his late wife that he’d summon her spirit . . .

A daughter whose imagination goes to dark places . . .

And demonic evil lurking in the remote hotel’s basement,
Nook, 343 pages
Published October 25th 2010 by Haunted Computer Books (first published June 25th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Speed Dating with the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Speed Dating with the Dead

⊱ Irena ⊰
2.5
I am not sure what to think of this book. Is it entertaining? Yes, in the same way a haunted place horror film is entertaining. The evil doesn't come out all at once. It takes its sweet time, working on individual people one by one. After all, none of them are innocents.

There was exactly one person I didn't want dead. Imagine a full hotel and I would save only one. I don't think that was intentional though. The character in question simply didn't get enough space to annoy me, I think.
Somewhe
Donna  Happy Booker

Carolyn
I read this for book club. It had some creepy scenes but none that made me want to jump out of my chair, as I've experienced reading Stephen King! It's one of those books that I'll no doubt forget completely 5 minutes after reading... or 5 minutes after writing this review :)

Kate
If you like ghosts and demons and people getting killed every few seconds, you'll probably really enjoy this book.

If you like in-depth characterization, consistent world-building, and plots that make sense...you will probably really despise this book.

Sadly, I fall into the latter category. I just couldn't figure out what I was supposed to think about the supernatural elements of the story - not least because the author and therefore the characters couldn't seem to make up their minds about wheth
Speed Dating with the Dead is an interesting ghost story. The creepy hotel, White Horse Inn was reminiscent of Stephen King's Rose Red. A paranormal ghost hunt is scheduled to take place at the White Horse Inn, the guest get more than they bargain for as the ghosts/demons make themselves known.

Nicholson really has a knack for adding more than a fair amount of horror and suspense to an amazing plot. The characters are well developed adding depth to the plot. The plot thickens as Digger and his da
Katy
Oct 30, 2012 Katy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of dark paranormal suspense, horror
Recommended to Katy by: Scott Nicholson
Shelves: ebook
Please note: I originally read and reviewed this in Dec. 2011; am just standardizing my reviews as I run across old ones.

Disclosure: I picked this book up from Amazon because I enjoy the author's work. All opinions are my own.

My Synopsis: Wayne “Digger” Wilson made a promise to his wife, Beth, on their honeymoon at the White Horse Inn just outside Black Rock, NC – he promised that, if one of them died, the other would come here, to the inn, to try to make contact with the decedent’s spirit. Eig
Moses Siregar III
This is the second Scott Nicholson novel I've read. If you ask me, Scott's got a great way with words. His voice is hilarious and perpetually creative. What's nice about this is that no matter what story he's telling, I can enjoy it for the writing itself.

This one is kind of a ghost/horror story, but because the cast of characters was so wonderfully quirky, I found it to be at least as humorous as it was scary--and I think that's a good thing. It was fast-paced and fun, and the suspense kept me
Lin
Not bad, but not good, either. The general storyline was decent enough, but I didn't really connect with the characters. And the ending was rushed, after a whole lot of buildup. Some good graphic and gory descriptions. All in all, not awful, especially for a cheapie easy read.
BigJohn
Speed Dating with the Dead is a refreshing tale of the supernatural. What's most refreshing is that it shows the genre continues to survive and thrive despite the market being flooded with vampire and zombie stories. This story is a straight-up tale of haunting, told from the perspective of a group of ghost hunters who are staging a paranormal conference at a haunted hotel.

There's a great cast of characters, including a widower hoping to connect with his dead wife, their skeptical daughter, a pa
C.C. Thomas
Ghost stories, real ghost stories not the new paranormal ones with fantastical creatures, are my very favorite! I love reading about things that go bump in the night with shivers, sitting all curled up on the couch with every light in the house on. It's really hard to find a good one, though, and I am disappointed more often than not. This book did not disappoint! There were goosebumps galore!

Digger is a ghost investigator and has planned a conference at a famed, haunted North Carolina inn (I lo
Mallory Heart
Jan 23, 2012 Mallory Heart rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Supernatural, horror, mystery, character readers
I selected “Speed Dating with the Dead” because that title just titillates me! It inspires me to howl aloud and simultaneously grab for my Kindle for PC and get reading! And of course, as I begin the first page, immediately I settle into that comfortable armchair of the mind, installed beside a cozily blazing fire, feet ensconced on an ottoman, while outside the windows (of my mind’s eye), a furious blizzard rages. No matter-I am now inside a Scott Nicholson novel, and reading is all I need.

“Spe
Bewitched Bookworms
As a fan of shows like Ghost Hunters, I found the circumstances the characters of this book faced very believable. The author had accuarate and detailed descriptions of the technology that real life ghost hunters use for their investigations. If you go to the author's website, you can explore links to the real life conference and Inn that inspired this book.

I give Speed Dating with the Dead 5 out of 5. I great, fast paced, twisty turning, not predicatable, paranormal thriller.

Read the full revi
Natasa
Absolutely loved this book! My first by this author and definitely not the last, can't wait to read more from him (good to know he wrote a lot of books!).
Stuart
I snuggled up to this book. It was the literary equivalent of a horror comedy. A father and daughter find themselves caught up with some very dangerous paranormal activity in a creepy hotel. I must admit by the choice of title and my interpretation of the style of the book it was meant to be tongue in cheek. Like a lot of books I have read this kept me amused but did not provide soul searching questions. I did not expect it to or want it to. I read it on holiday and it was just the tonic to get ...more
Marvin
This is a fairly interesting take on the haunted house story. Skeptical ghost hunter organizes ghost hunt with lots of eccentric paranormal investigators at a haunted hotel. It turns out he may not be so skeptical as he has another agenda involving his long dead wife. While I enjoyed it, I wasn't really that taken by the characters that crowded this busy little novel. If you like ghosts, demons, and bad paranormal cable TV shows, you may like this more than I did. A marginal three stars.
Bethica
I just finished reading "Speed Dating for the Dead" by Scott Nicholson that I borrowed from Amazon's Lending Library. I really love his works but this one was so slow until more than half way through. I almost put it down several times unable to finish. Finally it did get really good, picked up the pace, and ended very "Nicholson-esk" which is gripping and full of page turners. It was a story about a ghost hunter conference taking place in an old hotel in the Apalacian mountains.
Holly Nessling
As with all Scott Nicholson novels, a good page-turner but it was somewhat unsatisfactory. The pace was a little off and some of the characterisation a bit disjointed. This was probably due to going into a little too much depth about some characters without providing sufficient back-story to actually explain motivations. The combination made for a slightly thin story. It was still an enjoyable read but a little disappointing.
Lynn Worton
I am not an avid reader of horror, but I read the blurb and it intrigued me, so I downloaded a copy.

I normally do a character breakdown in my reviews, but this book has too many characters points of view to do so properly. However, I will say that every character is well formed and quite lifelike. Digger and Kendra Wilson may be father and daughter, but they don't seem to be very close. I don't know if it's because of Digger's job, or because Kendra is a teen with normal angst issues. Neverthele
Edmund Wight
To be honest, I bought this book for the title; it just tickled me.
I think that's something writers need to consider. Why do people buy books? Whether it's online or in a bookstore we tend to be drawn to a book by the cover art and the title.
It's much like searching for mate, we tend to be very visual to start in our relationships. It's only after the correct look has drawn us in that we learn about the mind - or in this case the blurb and preview.
Anywho, I liked what I saw on the outside and t
David Donaghe
Speed Dating With the Dead takes you into the world of the ghost hunters as a ghost hunting group investigates a haunted hotel. I found it to be a good read.
Jana Fogg
I was half way through and only finished it because I hate starting a book and not finishing it. I would not recommend this book at all!!
Anita
I confess ... I lost interest half way through and couldn't finish it. I might try again later, it just could be the timing.
Angie Lisle
The story sets up slowly, doling out an interesting backstory while introducing the setting and characters. I had a hard time sticking with the story long enough to get to the hauntings, which turned out to be ghastly - the story picks up after the ghosts and demons come out to play.

The only character that stood out was Kendra. The rest fell flat and there were far too many of them to keep track of.

Also, there's a line toward the end of the story about how Appalachia doesn't have earthquakes,
Ed Crickmer
Not as good as I had thought it would be.
Loraine
This reminded me a little bit of The Shining, with the creepy hotel in the middle of nowhere, specific hauntings in certain rooms and the eerie basement with the dodgy furnace. I was also reminded of the paranormal shows like TAPS with the ghost hunting and the equipment they use. I enjoyed reading this. It was spooky and tense. I was a bit muddled at the end, I wasnt quite sure what the deal was with Digger and the demon, Beth and Kendra. I felt as though there was a lot left unsaid. Still, I d ...more
Jean
This was OK. Not as scary as I like.
Wesley Thomas
This novel will grip you right from the get-go! You have the protagonist Wayne ‘Digger’ Wilson who has lost his wife, and is now travelling around with his daughter, hosting paranormal events. But when he gets his latest job at the White Horse Inn things start to get awry, and given that Digger has a history with this hotel, that is the last thing he needs.

You have a well written pace that builds up the tension and suspenseful wonderfully. The paranormal workers are setting up the technology to
Juliet Davis
I love those books that keep me engaged so fully in the story that I can lose myself between the pages for hours and not even realize how much time has passed. That's exactly what I found with Speed Dating with the Dead. I was alternately terrified and captivated by this story. Now, this wasn't exactly what I was expecting based on the title. I was thinking it would be a humorous paranormal romantic thriller. Boy was I wrong! This book reminded me of a combination of that movie 1408 and an episo ...more
Courtney Skelton
Scott Nicholson has written a rather intriguing ghost story. The title alone is what got me to click on the icon and buy the kindle book version. Speed dating with the dead. “Dead” in the title told me there would be a constant morbid theme of the deceased, while at the same time, having the title start with “Speed dating” gives it a modern era feel.

On a personal note, this is my first kindle book. I do realize I am way behind on this as this is nothing new in the electronic age, but I figured
T. Edmund
Speed Dating with the Dead begins with a convention of ghost hunters converging on a well known 'haunted' house. Making for quite a motely cast we have drama-queens, try-hards, genuine ghost hunters and a horny French chef working the kitchens.

I hope its too obvious to be spoilish: (but consider yourself warned) the plot revolves around a haunted convention actually becoming more haunted than expected and the resulting mayhem.

The tone is fairly tongue-in-cheek dipping into melodramatically bibli
  • The Vampire Club
  • Cades Cove: The Curse of Allie Mae (Cades Cove, #1)
  • The Hunting Tree Trilogy (Books 1-3)
  • The Nightmare Within
  • Bullied:  The Complete Series
  • A Soul to Steal (The Sanheim Chronicles, #1)
  • Dark Corners
  • Ghosts of Rosewood Asylum
  • Thicker Than Water (Blood Brothers, #1)
  • We are the Monsters
  • The Final Winter
  • Reunion
  • The Haunted
  • Pretty Witches All in a Row
  • Heretic (Templar Chronicles, #1)
  • Origin
  • The Spirit Box (John Hazard, #1)
  • Year of the Dead
With more than 500,000 books sold worldwide, Scott Nicholson is an international bestselling thriller writer. He won the Writers of the Future Award in 1999 and was a Stoker Award finalist in 2003. His Fear series was published by Amazon's Thomas & Mercer imprint and 47North released the supernatural thriller McFALL.

He's also published a number of supernatural, paranormal, and fantasy books an
More about Scott Nicholson...
The Red Church (Sheriff Frank Littlefield, #1) Write Good or Die After: The Shock (After, #1) Ashes After: First Light (After, #0.5)

“My thermograph got nothing,” he said. “I think that place is deader than Bob Dole’s dick.” 0 likes