Moryak: A Novel of the Russian Revolution

Moryak: A Novel of the Russian Revolution

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  17 ratings  ·  12 reviews
President Theodore Roosevelt learns that it is the intention of Russian Tsar Nicholas II to sabotage the Portsmouth Peace Conference in 1905. In response, he sends Lieutenant Stephen Morrison on a top secret mission with British agent Sidney Reilly to kidnap the Tsar and remove him from Russia. Morrison, a complex man, who was born in Russia, is also fluent in the language...more
Published June 1st 2009 by iUniverse.com

Julie
Mandel certainly exhibits his broad knowledge of military history in this epic “Novel of the Russian Revolution.” It is a sweeping story, outlining the covert mission of Naval officer Stephen Morrison which evolves into a life-changing experience. The first part of the book involves Morrison’s recruitment to join forces with a British agent. Their purpose is to kidnap Tsar Nicholas II in order to destroy the autocracy and establish peace between Russia and Japan. Morrison returns to Russia only...more
Delin Colón
Feb 29, 2012 Delin Colón rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
A common theme emerged in my research on Jews in Czarist Russia: a sense of limbo – of straddling two worlds, yet belonging to neither. Those who documented their experience, whether soldier, artisan, doctor, laborer, lawyer, or clerk, called themselves Russian Jews despite feeling like outsiders in both the shtetl’s world of Torah study and in the openly anti-Semitic Russian society.

The novel “Moryak”, by Dr. Lee Mandel, is a good example of such a life. Set in the early twentieth century, wit...more
Missy Martin-Lippiatt
FYI: The author is a personal friend.

Historical fiction is not my normal genre of choice; however, I found this book to be fascinating. Lee Mandel has an amazing knowledge of history and the US Navy and is always fascinating to hear speak. The fictional story he entwines around factual information of the US Navy and the Russian Revolution is fast paced and well written. The story holds your attention, causes you to forget you are reading "history," and makes you want to continue reading well in...more
Bryan
I found this book to be both a fascinating and stimulating story set during the Russian revolution. This book was hard to put down once I started it. The character development was skillfully done and the level of detail put into the scenes was impressive. I also particularly liked the way the book was arranged. The timeline was nonlinear and was a captivating way to tell the story.

Other reviewers have recommended this book to those who like historical fiction and are interested in the Russian re...more
Melody
** I received a free copy of this book through Goodreads First Reads.

"Moryak" was a superb tale full of well-written characters and events. Stephen Morrison is a naval officer sent by President Teddy Roosevelt to kidnap the Russian Tsar in 1905. The book jumps back in time to Morrison's childhood in order to reveal the events that led up to his being chosen for the mission. This book will appeal not only to naval history fans, but also anyone interested in the time period leading up to the Russi...more
LES
Moryak is incredibly well researched and loaded with historical facts and events, and and is an incredibly enjoyable and compelling fictional read all at the same time. Historical and fictional characters are intertwined expertly to give an entertaining account of historical events with which we're all (at least somewhat) familiar. I learned a lot about the Russian revolution and enjoyed a great spy story at the same time. A page-turner, and a must for any history buff! Five stars!
LES
Christopher
An engaging historical thriller set during the Russian revolution, Moryak is a thoroughly enjoyable read from cover to cover. Lee Mandel has done a tremendous job weaving well-researched historical fact with fiction to create an engrossing novel that follows the protagonist from Jewish immigrant culture in New York City to bully President Roosevelt's Navy and onto czarist St. Petersburg. This is an historical naval spy thriller that was hard to put down!
Christopher
Brendan
I started reading this book yesterday and I'm having a hard time putting it down. It's the adventures of an American Naval officer in Russia just after the Russo-Japanese war of 1905 and going up to the Russian Revolution and their bloody Civil War. Lee Mandel definitely sucks you in with his writing and ability to impart a strong sense of the time and the issues.
Marty
I am sorry because I really wanted to like this book. While the book is listed as historical novel, it was just way to boring and overwrought. I did not find much to like and after the first half had to skim to the end.
I read many books and I am at a loss as to how so many others gave this such high marks.
Connie Murphy
I received this as a giveaways book. This was both and exciting and engaging story. Cover to cover a great read. I loved how the historical fact was interlaced with the fiction.

I look forward to reading more of his books in the future.
Katey
Katey marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Lemmy
Lemmy marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Rod Sprague
Rod Sprague marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2014
Wendy Lawn
Wendy Lawn marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2013
Lynne
Lynne marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2013
Tallulah A. Scribbles
Tallulah A. Scribbles marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2013
Gulbadam Nurkaly
Gulbadam Nurkaly marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2013
Lynda
Lynda marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2013
Amelia Drew
Amelia Drew marked it as to-read
Brenda Knight
Brenda Knight marked it as to-read
Steven Mccuan
Steven Mccuan marked it as to-read
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Vincent Emery
Vincent Emery marked it as to-read
Michelle Wilson
Michelle Wilson marked it as to-read
  • Afgantsy: The Russians In Afghanistan, 1979-1989
  • The Defection of A.J. Lewinter
  • A Dirty War
  • The Living Room
  • Execution by Hunger: The Hidden Holocaust
  • iCope: Stress Management for Teens and Young Adults
  • Fearless Daughters of the Bible: What You Can Learn from 22 Women Who Challenged Tradition, Fought Injustice and Dared to Lead
  • Oxford Blood (The Cavaliers, #1)
  • The Devil's Causeway: The True Story of America's First Prisoners of War in the Philippines, and the Heroic Expedition Sent to Their Rescue
  • The Automat
  • Sword of Marathon
  • City of Darkness (City of Mystery, #1)
  • Sage Carrington, Eighth-Grade Science Sleuth
  • The Titanic Plan
  • While The Sun Is Above Us
  • Nightingale
  • How the Steel Was Tempered
  • The Goblet
Lee Mandel is a physician who has recently retired from the United States Navy after nearly thirty years of service. He has had multiple assignments, including tours as Senior Medical Officer aboard three US Navy aircraft carriers. He is also a published historian with special interests in military history and also the health history of US presidents. Moryak is his first novel and it won the Grand...more
More about Lee Mandel...
Moryak: A Novel Of The Russian Revolution Unlikely Warrior: A Pacifist Rabbi's Journey from the Pulpit to Iwo Jima Moryak