Kunst Der Farbe

Kunst Der Farbe

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  793 ratings  ·  17 reviews
A useful simplification and condensation of Johannes ltten's major work. The Art of Color, this book covers subjective feeling and objective color principles in detail. It presents the key to understanding color in ltten's color circle and color contrasts.
Hardcover
Published 1987 by Otto Maier Verlag (first published 1961)

surfurbian
Good information here on color use. Hits lots of topics that I have seen overlooked by other color theory instruction i.e. artistic process, use of grays, impact of quantity/brilliance/hue in color-to-color relationships.

The book uses many long and detailed descriptions of processes and relationships. These would be better explained by diagrams and images of the processes. The book also references specific works as illustration of particular color use but does not include photos of these works....more
Farhang Rezaei
خواندن این کتاب به دقیقتر دیدن و حساستر شدن نگاه ما به رنگها و محیط پیرامون کمک شایانی میکند. هر چند به نظر میرسد در ترجمه فارسی، ناشر نهایت امانتداری را در چاپ دستنوشته های مترجم به کار برده و آنها را بی هیچ ویرایشی روانه بازار کرده است.
Foxtower
Gee, if this is a simplification I probably couldn't fathom the original! This is, however technical, a great introduction to the MAGIC of color! For example with this book you can learn to make gray become any color you want! An excellent reference.
Erika
Nov 13, 2007 Erika rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Artists/creative types
Shelves: art
Parts of this book were completely eye opening for me, and other parts were so hard to wade through and stay awake that I skipped them completely. Good stuff if you are really interested in colors, and I suggest picking up Itten's color wheel as well.
Ann Appley
yes, it was a required text at one point, and yes, even art students tend to hate colour theory -- but that doesn't change the fact that this book opened my eyes to so many things about colour that, although simple, were often overlooked.
This was an ok book... wasn't what I was hoping for. I read it for my color theory class in College. I was hoping for more like color physiology after that class I found out they were two totally different subjects.
Judie
This was an interesting little book that would mean more to anyone studying art. I read it to learn about color, not necessarily about painting and composition.
treus
Very good food for thought and introduction to color theory. Highly recommended for artists of all types.
Laleh
کتابی مختصر اما کاربردی. درضمن به لحاظ ویراستاری خیلی ایراد داشت که امیدوارم در چاپهای بعدی اصلاح شود.‏
Nathaniel
enlightening formulation of the very nature of color. should prove hugely useful. a shit ton of knowledge...
Mariana
Nov 02, 2010 Mariana rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: artists, designers, visual people,
Alternate title: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know about Color but Had No Idea Even Existed.
Sara
Textbook from my art school days: still own it, which says something!
Sherry
Excellent resource for understanding color theory
Bill Van Dusen
Good book for anyone in the arts.
A.
Excellent basic on color theory
Tonalli
Akilabhay
Akilabhay marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Brenda
Brenda marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Grace Morris
Grace Morris marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Alyaa
Alyaa marked it as to-read
Zandrea
Zandrea marked it as to-read
Kathleen Staylor
Kathleen Staylor marked it as to-read
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
  • Interaction of Color
  • The Artist's Handbook of Materials and Techniques
  • The New Typography
  • Grid Systems in Graphic Design/Raster Systeme Fur Die Visuele Gestaltung (German and English Edition)
  • Making and Breaking the Grid: A Graphic Design Layout Workshop
  • Theory of Colours
  • Logo, Font & Lettering Bible
  • Geometry of Design: Studies in Proportion and Composition
  • Color Index
  • Universal Principles of Design: 100 Ways to Enhance Usability, Influence Perception, Increase Appeal, Make Better Design Decisions, and Teach Through Design
  • Designing Web Interfaces: Principles and Patterns for Rich Interactions
  • Visual Thinking
a Swiss expressionist painter, designer, teacher, writer and theorist associated with the Bauhaus (Staatliche Bauhaus) school. Together with German-American painter Lyonel Feininger and German sculptor Gerhard Marcks, under the direction of German architect Walter Gropius, Itten was part of the core of the Weimar Bauhaus.
More about Johannes Itten...
The Art of Color: The Subjective Experience and Objective Rationale of Color Design and Form: The Basic Course at the Bauhaus and Later The Color Star Bildanalysen Johannes Itten: Das Frühwerk 1907-1919