Start by marking “Plenty-coups: Chief of the Crows (Second Edition)” as Want to Read:
Plenty-coups: Chief of the Crows (Second Edition)

Plenty-coups: Chief of the Crows (Second Edition)

In his old age, Plenty-coups (1848–1932), the last hereditary chief of the Crow Indians, told the moving story of his life to Frank B. Linderman, the well-known western writer who had befriended him. Plenty-coups is a classic account of the nomadic, spiritual, and warring life of Plains Indians before they were forced onto reservations. Plenty-coups tells of the great triu ...more
Published November 1st 2002 by Bison Books

To ask other readers questions about Plenty-coups, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Plenty-coups

David
Dec 06, 2015 David rated it really liked it
I visited Plenty-Coup's home while in Montana over the summer. I wanted to learn more about this great Chief of the Crows and the book was very interesting. His life was amazing and he was a friend to the white man. Plenty-Coup was educated, a very brave Chief and very smart in dealing with people. After visiting Mount Vernon, he wanted to donate 190 acres of his land in Montana as a memorial park to honor the Crow people. I recommend the book and a visit to the Park when in Montana. But watch o ...more
Tami
Apr 14, 2008 Tami rated it it was amazing
This biographical information about Plenty-coups, the last principal chief recognized by the Crow, was originally compiled and published in the 1930's by Linderman. This book is the third reprint of the original story and contains a new introduction by Barney Old Coyote jr. and Phenocia Bauerle. An afterward by Timothy P. McCleary describes Plenty-coups' numerous contributions to both Native and national communities after the decline of the bison herds.

Linderman first met Plenty-coups in 1892,
Leah
Mar 28, 2011 Leah rated it it was amazing
Unbelievable! I had to keep reminding myself that this was a biography and not a work of fiction! If ever you want to know what it was like to be a wild and free Indian warrior - unmarred by the ways of the white man - read Plenty Coups. I recommend it for all boys/men who love adventure and women who love reading about living a life of true freedom and honor.

This book doesn't stop there, it also takes you through the changes and sorrow brought about by the coming of the white man. I had no ide
Trisha Carlson
Jan 09, 2014 Trisha Carlson rated it really liked it
I certainly learned much about the Absarokees (Crows) through the stories told by their last chief.

Worth reflecting upon:

p. 131 "When people think deeply they are helped."

p. 179 He is credited with saying, “Education is your most powerful weapon. With education you are the white man’s queal; without education you are his victim.”
Glenis Redmond
Aug 05, 2012 Glenis Redmond rated it liked it
Frank Linderman gets credit in my book for having the insight to chronicle this great leader. However, he inserts himself way to much in Plenty Coups story. He is definitely an outsider and it shows in the details, but I am grateful that he wrote the book, otherwise I would not be able to have access to Plenty Coups story.
Brenda
Apr 03, 2014 Brenda rated it it was amazing
This is a biography of Plenty Coups (1848-1932), the last hereditary chief of the Crow Indians. Plenty Coups lived in the time of the buffalo. He saw visions and foresaw the end of a way of life for his people, but he also saw the path that would be the transition for his people: Education.

I really enjoyed this book.
Vincent Louis
Sep 21, 2013 Vincent Louis rated it it was amazing
Invaluable resource for anyone who loves the American Indian culture.
Kevin
Jul 13, 2008 Kevin rated it it was amazing
complex ideas of time and history and death
Djorth
Aug 04, 2012 Djorth rated it it was amazing
Plenty-Coups was an extremely intelligent man. He realized that the old way of life was gone and encouraged his people to get educated in the white man's ways.
Joe
Sep 29, 2008 Joe rated it really liked it
One of the most interesting firsthand accounts of native life i have ever read.
Pam
Pam rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2007
Steve DeViney
Steve DeViney rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2016
Austin
Austin rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2016
Shirvan
Shirvan rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2010
Mathew Powers
Mathew Powers rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2013
Kerry
Kerry rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2013
Lee
Lee rated it liked it
Nov 05, 2010
DaveH
DaveH rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2016
Kat Krutak
Kat Krutak rated it it was ok
Apr 23, 2013
Nathan
Nathan rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2016
Lacy
Lacy rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2014
Kathleen Byrne
Kathleen Byrne rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2014
Tim
Tim rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2015
Linda
Linda rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2008
Hannah
Hannah rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2012
Cora
Cora rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2014
Matt Bruce
Matt Bruce rated it it was amazing
Feb 29, 2012
Sue
Sue rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2011
krystal
krystal rated it it was ok
May 15, 2014
Vicky
Vicky rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2016