Plenty-coups: Chief of the Crows (Second Edition)

Plenty-coups: Chief of the Crows (Second Edition)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  10 reviews
In his old age, Plenty-coups (1848–1932), the last hereditary chief of the Crow Indians, told the moving story of his life to Frank B. Linderman, the well-known western writer whohad befriended him. Plenty-coups is a classic account of the nomadic, spiritual, and warring life of Plains Indians before they were forced onto reservations. Plenty-coups tells of the great trium...more
Published November 1st 2002 by Bison Books

To ask other readers questions about Plenty-coups, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Plenty-coups

Tami
This biographical information about Plenty-coups, the last principal chief recognized by the Crow, was originally compiled and published in the 1930's by Linderman. This book is the third reprint of the original story and contains a new introduction by Barney Old Coyote jr. and Phenocia Bauerle. An afterward by Timothy P. McCleary describes Plenty-coups' numerous contributions to both Native and national communities after the decline of the bison herds.

Linderman first met Plenty-coups in 1892,...more
Brenda
This is a biography of Plenty Coups (1848-1932), the last hereditary chief of the Crow Indians. Plenty Coups lived in the time of the buffalo. He saw visions and foresaw the end of a way of life for his people, but he also saw the path that would be the transition for his people: Education.

I really enjoyed this book.
Alyssa
I fell in love with the dream excerpts of this book. They were all very powerful and took you out of body. I did think that there was much that was lost in translation on the author's end, being that he was a visiting white man that had this grand chief retell most of his most personal stories -- in order to gather material. He made up for it in the shared sentiment he seemed to have towards the man though. Plenty Coups was someone he respected and was entranced with and this showed, which I tho...more
Montanamarynotmartha
Unbelievable! I had to keep reminding myself that this was a biography and not a work of fiction! If ever you want to know what it was like to be a wild and free Indian warrior - unmarred by the ways of the white man - read Plenty Coups. I recommend it for all boys/men who love adventure and women who love reading about living a life of true freedom and honor.

This book doesn't stop there, it also takes you through the changes and sorrow brought about by the coming of the white man. I had no ide...more
Trisha Carlson
I certainly learned much about the Absarokees (Crows) through the stories told by their last chief.

Worth reflecting upon:

p. 131 "When people think deeply they are helped."

p. 179 He is credited with saying, “Education is your most powerful weapon. With education you are the white man’s queal; without education you are his victim.”
Glenis Redmond
Frank Linderman gets credit in my book for having the insight to chronicle this great leader. However, he inserts himself way to much in Plenty Coups story. He is definitely an outsider and it shows in the details, but I am grateful that he wrote the book, otherwise I would not be able to have access to Plenty Coups story.
Djorth
Plenty-Coups was an extremely intelligent man. He realized that the old way of life was gone and encouraged his people to get educated in the white man's ways.
Joe
One of the most interesting firsthand accounts of native life i have ever read.
Vincent Louis
Invaluable resource for anyone who loves the American Indian culture.
Kevin
complex ideas of time and history and death
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Eileen
Eileen marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Betty
Betty marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Wolfgang Yarlott
Wolfgang Yarlott marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
B.D. Crowell
B.D. Crowell marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Caitlin Benner
Caitlin Benner marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2014
Ели
Ели marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2013
Kristen Lavelle
Kristen Lavelle marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2013
Kirsten
Kirsten is currently reading it
Aug 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Indian Why Stories Indian Why Stories (Dover Children's Classics) Pretty-shield (Second Edition): Medicine Woman of the Crows (Second Edition) Native American Myths and Legends: Collections of Traditional Stories From the Sioux, Blackfeet, Chippewa, Hopi, Navajo, Zuni and Others