Start by marking “A Friday Night Lights Companion: Love, Loss, and Football in Dillon, Texas” as Want to Read:
A Friday Night Lights Companion: Love, Loss, and Football in Dillon, Texas

A Friday Night Lights Companion: Love, Loss, and Football in Dillon, Texas

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  130 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Introduction by Will Leitch, founding editor of Deadspin

Talk to any of the millions of devoted Friday Night Lights fans and they’ll tell you: it’s not just a show about high school football. Its rich, interesting characters and honestly portrayed relationships make the show’s portrait of West Texas life compelling and relatable in ways that have nothing—and everything—to d
Published August 2nd 2011 by Smart Pop (first published July 5th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Friday Night Lights Companion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Friday Night Lights Companion

Jordyn
Jul 29, 2011 Jordyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ace-list, nonfiction, 2011
Writing about A Friday Night Lights Companion is going to be difficult for a variety of reasons, not least of which is the fact that I completely, totally, 100% love this book and it's difficult to put that kind of love in words. But I'll try. The book is a collection of essays on the television show Friday Night Lights. It includes Why We Love... essays on each of the characters, an essay on Coach and Tami's marriage, and an essay on how the unique deal with DirecTV saved the world's best show. ...more
Ashley - Book Labyrinth
This is quite obviously a book that differs from the books I normally review (is it fiction? no. is it YA? no), but I was thrilled at the chance to review it. You may (or may not) know that I am a massive Friday Night Lights fan, so when I first heard about this book I was psyched that it even existed. To be able to review it? Awesome! Because Friday Night Lights is a show that if you love it? You love it. You flail over it and fangirl/boy over it and promote it to everyone you know. “It’s not r ...more
Alexis
Jun 05, 2012 Alexis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
Must read for fans of the series. This is a clever analysis of the characters, plot lines and some of the things that made this under-rated show so great. I stayed up late last night reading it. I can't wait to rewatch the show!

I really enjoyed some of these essays.
Thomas Benigno
Aug 08, 2012 Thomas Benigno rated it it was amazing
This book is a compilation of articles by journailsts on almost every aspect of the show and explains why some of us were so hooked on its every episode. I never cared so much about so many characters and was, as a result, hooked on the series from the start. I grew up in Brooklyn then Long Island, and yet I so loved this little fictitious town of Dillon, Texas and practically everyone who lived there. (It may just be kismet that I get the most wonderful reviews on my novel, The Good Lawyer, fro ...more
Doug Stotland
Feb 04, 2012 Doug Stotland rated it really liked it
Even if the essays were candy I would have enjoyed this book as an excuse to relive some of my favorite moments and characters from Friday Night Lights. That's kind of what I expected when I bought it but was pleasantly surprised with the substance of the books. Most of the writers attempted to critique the show seriously or distill their appreciation in a way I found satisfying.

As with any collection of essays and articles there's always at least a few that aren't worth reading. For this group
Cflack
Sep 08, 2011 Cflack rated it really liked it
Is it great literature? It is extraordinarily well written? Did it impart great depth of knowledge? Did it make me a better person? No on all four counts, but if you love the show Friday Night Lights like I do it is a wonderful way to review and analyze the town and Dillon and all of the people you love who live there. It also helps you get through the withdrawls of knowing there will be no more episode to watch - no more Coach and Mrs. Coach. No more Matt and Julie. No more Tim, Billy, Mindy, S ...more
Allison
Dec 31, 2015 Allison rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, read-2015
I love the TV show that this book revolves around. It is my favorite show and I never get tired of catching random episodes on TV or starting a rewatch for the nth time. This book really reminded me of why I love Friday Night Lights.

My favorite sections were, by far, the "Why We Love..." character series, written by Jen Chaney. The characters of this show are what make it so special to me, and it was so fun to relive some of their best lines and moments. While I didn't always agree with some of
Melyssa Dawn Michaels
Aug 02, 2013 Melyssa Dawn Michaels rated it it was amazing
For any fan of Friday Night Lights, the series and even the movie this book is a must read. Its a collection of essays and other such writing endeavors based on the show and the characters within said show. As well as taking the show and comparing it to real life. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this and even found it hard to put down at times. I especially enjoyed the "Why we love (insert character name here) sections and I couldn't agree more with them all as a whole. Very well put together and a ...more
Carrie
Some essays are stronger than others, but it's hard to complain about a book all about the awesomeness of Friday Night Lights. It's a fun read, and some of the essays made me think about the series in a way I never had before (like Robin Wasserman's piece, which argues that the show isn't meant for teens even though it's about them). My biggest issue was the editing -- there's a lot of unnecessary repetition that easily could've been cut. Overall, though, this is a fun read for any fan of Friday ...more
Shaunna
Nov 20, 2012 Shaunna rated it liked it
i'm only giving it 3 stars because it inspired me to rewatch it yet again. some interesting essays and some redundant ones as well but there are errors here and there (east dillon PANTHERS?! come on!) that really make the whole thing kind of sloppily put-together. there are some insights into the series that i would've rather seen explored over the more obvious ones. overall, i should probably just write my own essays about my beloved fnl.
Lisa
Sep 01, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it
This book was okay. I of course love the show otherwise would have had not interest in even starting the book. Some essays were much better than others. I really enjoyed that some of the essays included facts about things other than the show... how accurate story lines were and the culture.

Review before completing book
***So far I like a lot of the essays.. but who wouldn't love essays on Why We Love Tim Riggins or Coach Taylor. ***
Lauren
Jan 15, 2012 Lauren rated it liked it
I teach this book every year, and I'm such a fan of the show, so I had to read this. I enjoyed it and thought they included a great range of perspectives that highlighted all the best aspects of the show. That being said, I outright disagreed with some of them, and none of them (with the exception of the essay on gender and sexuality) really hit home for me. It was ok -- I could do better ;) -- but it was a pleasant read.
Mary Mackie
Jul 31, 2011 Mary Mackie rated it really liked it
If you love the show "Friday Night Lights" (and note I did not put "love" in the past tense) you are bound to really like this. It could have had more depth to a lot of the essays, and the "WHy We Love..." sections got boring after a while, but it talks about FNL to the people who already love FNL and know what they're talking about. It's a nice read. "Texas Forever, Man."
Mike
Apr 21, 2012 Mike rated it really liked it
Friday Night Lights wasn't the best show I ever watched, but it was the show I liked the most. This books reminds me why. We're just past a year to the day that the final season began airing, so this was the perfect time to remind myself why I loved the show so much. This book did just that. Now I want to watch the show again. Miss you, Friday Night Lights.
Rebecca
Mar 10, 2015 Rebecca rated it liked it
A fun way to revisit a favorite show, which I have also just recently begun rewatching. The essays in this book varied in how much they held my interest, which makes sense given the range of topics they focus on. My favorite parts were the "why we love [character name]" sections singing the praises of many of the characters.
Janelle V.
Mar 31, 2013 Janelle V. rated it really liked it
I liked the book for taking both the really fangirl road (the "Why We Love Tim Riggins" essay is a case in point) and the more analytical approach. For instance, I found the essay on class differences quite interesting but could not understand why the Tim/Lyla relationship as a casualty of class differences was not included.
Jamie
Jan 03, 2014 Jamie rated it it was amazing
This book is like opening the door to a secret club of Friday Night Lights fans that you always wished were in your life while you were watching the show. I would definitely recommend to anyone who watched and loved the show.
Louise Wardell
Sep 08, 2011 Louise Wardell rated it liked it
I won this book on Goodreads. It talks about the lessons we learned during the show Friday Nights Lights. I was a fan of the show therefore found it interesting to revisit some of the characters.
Kimberlyn
May 18, 2013 Kimberlyn rated it liked it
Not your typical companion book. Rather than a guide to characters, episode descriptions or plot synopses, etc., you'll find social commentary on living in small town America.
Janssen
Nov 03, 2011 Janssen rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
If you are a fan of Friday Night Lights, this is a fantastic book. I loved revisiting the characters and Dillon. Now to rewatch the whole series. . .
Shana
Oct 25, 2011 Shana marked it as to-read
Shelves: first-reads
I received this as a Goodreads Giveaway. I recently had surgery, so I'm not able to read as much or as fast as I'd like. I will write a review soon.
Amy
Apr 20, 2015 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
Texas forever!
Gabby N.
Gabby N. marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Sarah Norton
Sarah Norton marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Fantastic Book Blog
Fantastic Book Blog marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Maja
Maja marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Cek  virabey
Cek virabey marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Vito
Vito is currently reading it
May 23, 2016
  • Inside Joss' Dollhouse: From Alpha to Rossum
  • Teen Dreams: Reading Teen Film and Television from 'Heathers' to 'Veronica Mars'
  • Fighting the Forces: What's at Stake in Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • The Psychology of Joss Whedon: An Unauthorized Exploration
  • The Unofficial Mad Men Cookbook: Dine like Draper and Drink like Sterling: Recipes to Satisfy a Mad Men Appetite
  • The Daily Show and Philosophy: Moments of Zen in the Art of Fake News
  • Sherlock Holmes and Philosophy: The Footprints of a Gigantic Mind
  • Boarding the Enterprise: Transporters, Tribbles, And the Vulcan Death Grip in Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek
  • Coffee at Luke's: An Unauthorized Gilmore Girls Gabfest
  • Joss Whedon: The Complete Companion: The TV Series, the Movies, the Comic Books and More: The Essential Guide to the Whedonverse
  • Reading Angel: The TV Spin-off with a Soul
  • Mad Men and Philosophy: Nothing is as it Seems
  • Queer as Folk: The Book
  • Five Seasons of Angel: Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers Discuss Their Favorite Vampire
  • Liz Tells Frank What Happened In...
  • Fringe Science: Parallel Universes, White Tulips, and Mad Scientists
  • Chicks Unravel Time: Women Journey Through Every Season of Doctor Who
  • Alias Assumed: Sex, Lies and SD-6
Leah Wilson is Editor-in-Chief of the Smart Pop imprint of Dallas-based publisher BenBella Books. She graduated from Duke University in 2003 with a degree in Culture and Modern Fiction, and lives in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Fall season premiere schedules make her a little giddy.

(Her author blog is the main blog for Smart Pop's website, and she'll be using this Goodreads account in part to do some
More about Leah Wilson...