Start by marking “The Little Lame Prince” as Want to Read:

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  617 Ratings  ·  77 Reviews
This is a pre-1923 historical reproduction that was curated for quality. Quality assurance was conducted on each of these books in an attempt to remove books with imperfections introduced by the digitization process. Though we have made best efforts - the books may have occasional errors that do not impede the reading experience. We believe this work is culturally importan ...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 120 pages
Published August 18th 2008 by BiblioLife (first published 1874)

To ask other readers questions about The Little Lame Prince, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Lame Prince

Kirsten
Mar 11, 2009 Kirsten rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! Once when I was about 8 years old, I got sick while on vacation in California. Unfortunately, it was the day we were all scheduled to go to the beach. I was crying as I watched them leave down the driveway of my granma's house. My grandma, in an attempt to make me feel better, started to read to me from this book. I kept begging for her to continue, and so she read to me most of the day until it was finished. The memory is so precious to me, I wouldn't give it up for a thousan ...more
Althea Ann
I would've liked this better if the narrative voice was a little less intrusive. The narrator/author tells us that this originated as an oral bedtime story for her daughter, and the style very much reflects that. It actually reminded me quite a lot of the episodic tales that my mother told me as a very small child. That made be feel warmly toward the story in general, but as an adult, I still found it a bit... hmm, not quite condescending, but perhaps a bit too... instructive?

The prince of the s
Elisha Condie
May 27, 2011 Elisha Condie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This is a very old book that my mom loved growing up. She found it at an antique store and then made me read it, because it was such a favorite of hers growing up.

And I think it's one of those books that you have to grow up loving. It was very sweet- almost TOO sweet, really. The writer addresses the readers directly (a la Jane Eyre) at several points to ask you how you might have felt if such-and-such had happened to you. The poor little lame prince is locked away in a tower until his godmot
HJ
May 06, 2016 HJ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been many years since I read this charming, but bittersweet story. Goodreads doesn't actually show the edition of the book I own, which was handed down to me from my Grandfather, who received it as a gift from his aunt in 1925 for his 5th birthday.
Krista
Feb 12, 2013 Krista rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I am giving this book an "amazing" rating, however I'll admit that's the opinion of my eight year old self. I had no idea that this 1875 fairy tale was already a hundred years old when I read it. I didn't notice the language to be very "Victorian", but then I was an odd little girl. The story of the little crippled prince affected me so profoundly I simply refused to return it to the library. I wanted to keep him and protect him. Sister Agnes Jerome was NOT amused. I got a lecture on stealing. W ...more
Gale
VICTORIAN FLYING CLOAK!

In ten gentle chapters with simple sketches we meet another charming child--this one lame but royal, and an orphan. (Somewhat reminiscent of Old Testament Jonathan's crippled son.) A healthy baby prince is dropped by a careless nurse enroute to his christening; when both his parents die, he is at the mercy of his ambitious uncle/regent who has him secreted away to a lonely tower on a barren plain. (Reminds me of the Chinese folk tale: The Emperor and the Kite).

With only
HL
Nov 15, 2013 HL rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like many others, I read this as a child and my memory of it was that it was spellbinding. I found it in our church library and didn't want anyone to find me in there reading it because I knew they would make me leave it and I didn't know when I would ever get to come back. To this day, when I visit that church, I can't even find the library anymore. (So Harry Potteresque a memory - a missing yet delightful room that appeared when I needed it most - but that is another story.)

Again, like others
Mary
Feb 18, 2015 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful find this story was. I imagine it would make a lovely bedtime read-aloud for a child, as it would provide opportunity for conversation on accepting hardship, how one might react when things happen out of our control, and the importance of forgiveness and humility. Very rare to find in a (well-written) children's book.

[This rating and review applies to the ten chapters of "The Little Lame Prince" rather than the five short stories I was surprised to find at the end, and didn't en
Claudia
This was my favorite book when I was a child. I remember reading and rereading it. I tried to read it with that little girl's mentality and kept asking myself, 'What drew me to this book? Why did I carefully write my name in my best cursive in the front? Why did I keep returning to this one?'

I think it's partly the Little Prince's isolation and loneliness. My childhood was turbulent...mom married three times (the name I wrote was a reminder of one of those husbands). I was often left alone to am
Debbie Petersen
This is an example of a book you read as a child that stays with you forever. I don't even remember how old I was when I read it, but recall clearly the flights of fancy my mind took as a result. I was young enough to be able to dream about being locked in a tower by an evil uncle and flying to freedom. I remember becoming so caught up in the story that I read it on a folded blanket on the floor that I could pretend was my own traveling cloak. I am delighted that it is still in print!
Bouthainah Abdullah  240521
The little lame prince when I start to read it in the beginning I felt boring but when I read it more I understand each part and what they said about the prince . This book was amazing and I like it a lot because I learned how to deal with ather people and alao it learned us to be nice with people and don't make them imbaresing so I suggest everyone to read this amazing book because it's really interesting .
Tiyarny
May 21, 2011 Tiyarny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The stories are a bit involved for small children. However, the stories are nice moral based fairy tales.
This Kindle version holds six stories.

The Invisible Prince
Prince Cherry
The Prince with the Nose
The Frog Prince
Clever Alice
Martha
Apr 22, 2010 Martha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: most children and teens
Recommended to Martha by: my grandmother and mother
Shelves: kindle
This book examines the prejudices of many societies, and resilience of children with handicaps. I first read this one summer as a child, then again as a teen, and this is the third time. This book deserves to be considered a children's classic.
Elizabeth
Sep 24, 2013 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book at a child! Several scenes from it made indelible pictures in my mind I have to this day.
Maggie Leivas
Jan 20, 2011 Maggie Leivas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books when I was a kid. Read it again as an adult and still enjoyed it.
Hadas Cassorla
Oct 29, 2007 Hadas Cassorla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This is a GREAT book. I remember it still and I read it as a 9 year old maybe?
Patricia
Jan 26, 2012 Patricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-picture
Tracey
Jul 03, 2011 Tracey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Several Years ago, I picked up an 1893 edition of this little book in a little Antique store in Connecticut. It has an inscription on one of the first pages: "Merry Christmas to Maggie, from Nellie. Dec. 25th 1897. What a cool thing. I got it out and read it again the other day, but got to the end and remembered that it was missing about the last three pages. I found the whole story on Wikisource, and copied it to put in the book. Very Cool.
It's a wonderful little story about a little prince w
Sarah Sammis
Jan 02, 2009 Sarah Sammis rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The book came with a sentimental recommendation from a dear friend. I was reading an old, well-read copy with delightful illustrations. Despite all these positives, I loathed the story.

Prince Dolor is paralyzed by his nurse, orphaned and locked away in a tower all in the first chapter or two. Before all this tragedy is heaped on Craik manages to create an interesting kingdom rich with traditions but she tosses this all aside to instead create a miserable childhood for her royal protagonist.

I rea
Mary
Jun 08, 2015 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like many others here, I read this book when I was about eight years old, and absolutely loved it. I reread it recently, and found it as wise and well-crafted as I'd remembered. Dolor and the nurse are unforgettable characters, and so is the godmother! It's true that the language is old-fashioned and the narration a bit intrusive by modern standards. It doesn't matter. This gentle story has considerable emotional depth, and it still comes through.
Ellen
Sep 23, 2014 Ellen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edrd-314-006
I am curious about why the author changed the main figure into a pig. It is a long and sad story. The story has many variations in the flow, but it doesn't come fascinating to me. Maybe it is because the prince did not do anything by himself, and everything was happening by accident. I think the main figure should do something independently to make this story more fun.
Norma Christensen
Aug 07, 2011 Norma Christensen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this little old fairy tale at my Mom's house. The inscription which was hand written on the inside cover said, "Ila Carlisle, I am 14 1/2 and I have light brown hair and right now it is fixed like this and is pretty. I have blue eyes and ugly teeth and ugly smile. I am not so hot looking. I had a heavenly time at Marg's wedding."
My Aunt Marg got married in August of 1936. I was intrigued about how this young girl felt about herself, and how I felt about myself as a young teenage girl.
I
Becca
Jan 06, 2015 Becca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book to my 4 and 7 year old kids, and it was beautiful and enchanting and lovely. The language was hard to follow, but they stayed surprisingly engaged. I loved that they were able to gain a unique viewpoint and gain some empathy and understanding as a result. 4.5 stars.
Quirkyreader
This was a fast reading short story. I'm not giving it a rank because it is a kidlet book aimed at the level of kidlets. And it would be unfair as an adult to give it an accurate rating. If I had grown up with this story, it would be different altogether.
Alex
Mar 21, 2016 Alex rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very cute! It was short enough to be bearable. A very interesting and gripping plot (although the actual language is better suited to a younger audience.)
Claire
Jun 10, 2015 Claire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I found this gem in an antique mall of stores in Richmond. It is a beautiful book with this inscription inside: Kittie Smith- Christmas 1900 Aunt Lucy-
Brittany Basalla
This isn't the exact copy I read, but the story is good to address the subject of disabilities and still have a fantasy genre that children may enjoy.
sofie  jacobsen
Sweet, vintage. It's quirky but cute. This book was from my Great-Grandma's collection and was given to me after she passed away.
Linda Champanier
Alrhough it's been literally decades since I read The Little Lame Prince, it has remained vivid in my memory as one of my favorite books.
Mroberts
Mar 05, 2016 Mroberts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics-1
the writing in this book is very formal, and typical to the standard fairytale reading. Because of my disinterest in fairytales generally, I had a really hard time into it, right at first. But, once I got through the main 'fairytale part', then it became poignant, and then, right towards the end, it even became clever. I gave it three stars because of how slow it was in getting to the point, and how inanely formal it also was. but that is my own personal taste..as far as qualifying/rating it as ...more
Around the Year i...: The Little Lame Prince, by Dinah Maria Mulock Craik 2 11 Mar 22, 2016 03:40PM
  • Shadow Castle
  • The World's Best Fairy Tales
  • Crown and Jewel (Bracken Trilogy, #2)
  • Toby Tyler, or Ten Weeks with a Circus
  • The Story of a Bad Boy
  • Wild Animals I Have Known
  • This Country of Ours
  • On Golden Pond
  • Tales of the Kingdom (Tales of the Kingdom, #1)
  • Tasha Tudor Book of Fairy Tales
  • A Peep Behind the Scenes
  • The Wizard in the Tree
Dinah Maria Craik (born Dinah Maria Mulock, also often credited as Miss Mulock or Mrs. Craik) was an English novelist and poet. She was born at Stoke-on-Trent and brought up in Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire.

After the death of her mother in 1845, Dinah Maria Mulock settled in London about 1846. She was determined to obtain a livelihood by her pen, and, beginning with fiction for children, adv
More about Dinah Maria Mulock Craik...