Start by marking “Texas Destiny (Texas Trilogy #1)” as Want to Read:
Texas Destiny (Texas Trilogy #1)

Texas Destiny (Texas Trilogy #1)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  2,992 ratings  ·  229 reviews
A weary, ex-Civil War soldier travels to Fort Worth to collect his brother's mail-order bride, a beautiful belle eager to escape war-ravaged Georgia, and finds the object of his heart.
Published November 9th 2010 by HarperCollins e-books (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Texas Destiny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Texas Destiny

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick

Texas Destiny is the first book in Lorraine Heath’s Texas Trilogy, and my first read by this author. From the reviews and recommendations by friends, I was expecting a really good book, but ended up totally blown away by how much I loved this story. Great hero, great heroine, believable storyline, humor, passion… this book has everything I need for a 5 star read.

Dallas Leigh knew what he wanted and wasn't afraid to do whatever it took to realize his dreams. Already a successful rancher and land
Dina
Aug 13, 2011 Dina rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dina by: Cristina from Bookmooch
I love tortured heroes, and Houston was as tortured as one can be. Slighted (to put it mildly) by his father since childhood, he was forced to fight in the Civil War at the tender age of twelve, only to lose half his face, his eye, and hearing in one ear three years later. The way he saw it, his life was over by the time he was fifteen years old. Now, thirteen years later, he still wonders why he didn't put an end to it. Houston had all the markings to make me want to cuddle him and never let go ...more
Buggy
Opening Line: “His was not a face that women carried with them into their dreams”

Oh how I loved this one. I actually sought out a used copy of Texas Destiny because it had received such rave reviews and WOW am I ever glad I did. I knew going in I was going to like this because I’ve got such a soft spot when it comes to the tortured heroes but I never expected to be as moved as I was by this beautiful story. Just know any review I attempt here really won’t do this justice.

I fell in love with both
KatLynne
Wow - what can I say that hasn't already been written about this amazing story? I loved everything about it!

After reading the synopsis I kept putting this one on the back burner. At that time I hadn't read many Western Historicals and figured this would probably be just an ok read for me. Recently I have been enjoying many wonderful books in this genre (thanks to my GR friends) and so when my friend Denise *smiling* "insisted" that I read this one and then backed by Katrina’s comments, I though
Bark's Book Nonsense
How do I begin to describe such a beautiful story as TEXAS DESTINY? I could talk about the post civil war Texas setting and describe the mail order bride plot but that doesn't even begin to touch on the emotional impact of Ms. Heath's newest work. This book touched me from beginning to end and is a book I'll always treasure. It's also the first of a trilogy. Woo-hoo!

Houston Leigh's brother Dallas has broken his leg and is unable to make the trip to pick up his mail order bride-to-be Amelia Carso
Julianna
Jul 16, 2009 Julianna rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Western Romance, Beta Heroes and Sweet Emotional Stories
Reviewed for THC Reviews
I absolutely loved the first book I read by Lorraine Heath several months ago, so I'm not sure why it took me so long to try another one of her novels. Whatever the reason, I am so glad that I finally got around to it, because she has given me another gem of a read. Ms. Heath is an author who knows how to write deeply affecting stories with complex, multi-layered characters who are easy to love in spite of their flaws. She also has an incredible perception of human nature
Mei
I wish to thank my friend Jill for recommanding me this book! *kisses*

Lovely, lovely, lovely!!!
A real romantic, heartbraking love story!

The hero, Houston, is scarred all the way down to his soul... poor guy... At the beginning he's so closed that was painful to read about it. He resented his brother Dallas for sending him to retrieve his bride. He din't want to have to do it, but did it all the same.

His scarred face should have frightened Amelia, but instead she's intrigued. Amelia is Houston's
Susanne
To be completely honest I skimmed the second part of the book. I don't know if it was me but this book bored me to sleep.

I was very conflicted about the love story. Amelia is a mail-order bride for Dallas but he breaks his leg and send Houston, his brother, to pick her up. They travel for a month together and slowly fall in love. I felt bad for Dallas. I usually like love triangles but this rubbed me the wrong way for some reason. It was so dark and no humor or light, and there was no fighting f
Lisa Kay
Wow! Can I give this book more than 5 stars? I am still speechless. Glad I have two more books to go in the series.
Aoi
A real treasure of a book!

Instead of her to-be husband, mail order bride Amelia Carson meets a scarred, ruggedly handsome man who prefers to keep in the shadows. She is eager to meet the man behind the letters, Dallas Leigh, and start life anew with him. But in order to get to their ranch, she must spend three weeks traveling through the Texas prairie in company of his younger brother, Houston Leigh.

Houston carries scars not just from the Civil War, but also from his father who hurt him, and his
Crista
For anyone who is a romance novel nay sayer....lend them this book and it will make them eat their words!!!!

It's hard to top this one. It has all my favorite romance themes running throughout it (mail-order bride, tortured and scarred hero, feisty and sweet heroine, lots of time alone together, adventure, and loads of sexual tension). The remarkable thing about Texas Destiny is that it takes these well known themes and puts a new, fresh, and pure spin on them. I was reading this one long into t
Denise
I think after reading this book, I need to take a few days before I read anything else. I was so moved by this book. One side of Houston's face was severely scarred from an injury he received in the Civil war. He was only 15 when this happened and he has been a broken sad person since this time. He is sent on a two week journey to bring his brothers intended bride back to the ranch as his brother Dallas has broken his leg and is unable to do so himself. I won't say more so I won't add any spoil ...more
Susan (susayq ~)
Holy cow! I don't even know what to say about this. I am a sucker for heart breaking angsty love stories that make you cry. This TOTALLY fits the bill. Houston and Amelia fall in love but can't be together because she's agreed to be his brother's wife. It just about killed me. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't all tears and heart-wrenching; there was some smiles and laughter as well. Especially when Houston suggested to Amelia that a raccoon could steal her ugly hat away and then she wouldn't have t ...more
Kari
This is the absolute top standard for a good ol' classic western romance. Wonderful characters and setting. I'm looking forward to the next two books in the trilogy. 5 heartbreaking romantic stars for Houston and Amelia!
Ridley
Starts slow with a metric fuck ton of angst over the hero's scars, goes nuts with adjectives and flowery metaphors, but nails yearning and sexual tension like a boss.
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
Just make sure you have some type of protector on your ebook reader if you go the ebook route. It will get wet towards the end of the book.
Misfit
This is the first in a trilogy set in Western Texas focused on the three Leigh brothers. Oldest brother Dallas has a dynasty to build and in needs sons to carry it on, so he's arranged for a mail order bride, Miss Amelia Carson. Adam was supposed to be the one to meet his bride and escort her on the long journey to the Leigh ranch, but he falls from his horse and injures his leg, so younger brother Houston is sent to fetch her (the brothers are named for the city they were born in). Houston was ...more
Iliada
This is a sweet, touching, poignant and sometimes sad story. I loved this book for its uniqueness and I'm going to remember this story for a long time.

The Story
Amelia is a mail-order bride travelling from Georgia to Texas to get married to Dallas Leigh. She has never met him, but she dreams of a better future for herself since she has nothing left after the war. Dallas is supposed to escort her from the town of Fort Worth to his home, a 3-week journey, but he falls off his horse and sends his br
Lucie "a heart so wild"
This should be the first book I'm afraid to make a review, cause I don't think my word should be enough to express my feeling, my appreciation of how touching, how romantic, how wonderful this romance is...

I am proudly given this book a really big 10*star, even 100* is there available.

A real treasure, which I'm glad to find it sooner...The emotion I feel was totally different from other's historical book I've read. This is indescribable. I absolutely stung by its romance.

Houston Leigh is a tort
Mitzi
This is a great love story…Mail order bride arrives at rail station and picked up by brother of groom due to groom’s broken leg. This brother is terribly scarred from war, doesn’t like to be around people (prefers horses) and doesn’t talk much…but the bride-to-be won’t quit talking/asking questions and little by little, gets him to come out of his shell. He speaks to her about things he has never shared with anyone…including his brothers…and she listens…and cares. He begins to conquer his demons ...more
Jane Stewart
3 stars. Better than average. Nice way to spend some time.

I couldn’t nudge this one up to 4 stars. Not sure why. It’s nice the way they fall in love. But they quietly accept that she is promised to marry his brother. Neither one of them tells the brother that they love each other. That was ok as a plot device, but it wasn’t as entertaining as it could have been. The hero is kind of weak, not going after the woman he loves. He feels he doesn’t deserve to be happy and he feels he is ugly due to f
.þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...]
Amelia Fransiska
Oct 31, 2010 Amelia Fransiska rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical-western-romance lovers
Recommended to Amelia by: no one
Love is not loving someone perfect but loving someone imperfect, perfectly…

Setting ni novel pasca civil war di amrik,, tepatnya texas taon 1876..
Kenalan dulu d ama Leigh brsodara,,, Dallas, Houston, & Austin..
Pasti ortu mrka cinta bgt ma texas,, nama anak2nya ampe di kasih nama kota2 di texas… LOL

Oke, ini novel paling sweeeeeeet yg pernah gw baca – so far-
Jujur gw GAK suka ama novel yg sweet (baca: novel yg hero & heroine nya jarang adu mulut)
Apalagi klo hero nya imperfect ky Houston, b
Sara ♥
August 21, 2008:

I REALLY liked this book (or what I can remember about it... having read it a MONTH ago...)

All right. This is the first book in Lorraine Heath's Texas trilogy... I'd already read Book 2, so I kinda knew what was going to happen... but GEEZ, I was like, "Uhhh... are you guys ever gonna get together, or.... are you just gonna, like... not... for the entire book?" SERIOUSLY! Cute cute cute, though.

I tell you what—I am NOT as tough as Amelia... oooh... I woulda been complaining left
Mo
why did I download this book??? LOVED IT but now I have to read the next in the series - costing me a friggin fortune these kindle downloads ..... FANTASTIC ... off to read Texas Glory now.
Zakirrah BookBlogger
Aww what a fantastic read!
I loved it, I will be carrying on with this series!

Review to come when I'm done with arcs
Beanbag Love
This is an older book by Lorraine Heath and it does feel a little dated. The story is pretty basic: Houston, a man who was facially disfigured in the Civil War when he was only 15 goes to meet his brother's mail-order-bride-to-be to bring her back to the ranch. Houston's brother broke his leg and can't make it. It's a three week trip from the train station to their ranch. So there's a lot of time for Amelia to get to know shy, reticent Houston and fall desperately in love with him.

I loved both l
Sakura
Dallas broke his leg a day before going to meet his mail-order bride, so he assigns his younger brother Houston to fetch her. Houston is aware that he was chosen for this job because he is badly disfigured from the war, thus not being able to steal the heart of his brother’s bride.

Amelia hopes for a better life with her betrothed and is a little disappointed when she finds that he is not the one that has come to pick her up. As Amelia and Houston spend time together Amelia finds herself giving
Kit★
I found this book at Goodwill, and had to pick it up since a few friends in the Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired Group were doing it as a Buddy Read... and I wanted to join in. I've read a few books by this author before, and liked them a lot, so I was pretty sure that I'd like this one a lot too. I wasn't disappointed, this book was excellent. There was action, a bit of adventure and excitement, drama, tension, angst... wuv... y'know, all the good stuff. The hero, Houston, is a scarred ...more
Carolyn F.
So good! I saw that a couple of Goodfriends had really liked the book so I ordered it from the library and then kept renewing the book instead of reading it. Well, it's due in a few days so I finally pulled it from the stack. I should have made this book one of the first books I read when I got it. Tortured hero meets tortured heroine. They try not to fall in love but can't help themselves. Loved it! I would recommend this book and I'm planning on reading the rest of the books in this series.
Romance Lovers fo...: Texas Destiny by Lorraine Heath (Nov 14th) 183 25 Dec 19, 2011 04:25PM
  • The Texan's Wager (Wife Lottery, #1)
  • His Secondhand Wife
  • Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold
  • The Promise of Jenny Jones
  • Heartbreak Creek (Runaway Brides #1)
  • Simple Jess (Marrying Stone, #2)
  • Keegan's Lady
  • The Bridal Veil
  • Ride the Fire (Blakewell/Kenleigh Family Trilogy, #3)
  • Mustang Wild (Wild, #1)
Also writes Young Adult under Rachel Hawthorne, Jade Parker, and with her son as J.A. London)

Lorraine Heath has always had a soft spot for emotional love stories. No doubt because growing up, watching movies with her mom, she was taught that the best movies "won't half make you cry."

She is the daughter of a British beauty (her mom won second place in a beauty contest sponsored by Max Factor during
More about Lorraine Heath...

Texas Trilogy (3 books)
  • Texas Glory (Texas Trilogy, #2)
  • Texas Splendor (Texas Trilogy, #3)
In Bed with the Devil (Scoundrels of St. James, #1) Waking Up With the Duke (London's Greatest Lovers, #3) Between the Devil and Desire (Scoundrels of St. James, #2) Passions of a Wicked Earl (London's Greatest Lovers, #1) She Tempts the Duke (The Lost Lords of Pembrook, #1)

“He took the hand that wasn’t holding the bou­quet of wildflowers and stared at it, holding it so tightly that she thought he might crack her bones. Then his hold gentled. He slipped a gold ring onto her finger and lifted his gaze to hers.

“I’m not a brave man; I’ll never be a hero, but I love you more than life itself, and I will until the day I die. With you by my side, I’m a better man than I’ve ever been alone. I’m scared to death that I’ll let you down, but I won’t run this time. I’ll stand firm and face the challenge and work hard to see that you never have any regrets. You told me once that you wanted to share a corner of my dream. Without you, Amelia, I have no dream. With you, I have everything I could ever dream of wanting.”

Tears burned her eyes as he glanced back at the preacher. “I’m done.”

-Houston to Amelia as his wedding vow.”
38 likes
“Austin stood. “All right, I will.” He walked to the door and stopped, his hand on the latch. He gazed back over his shoulder. “That woman you love . . . Do I know her?”

Houston forced himself to meet his brother’s gaze. The boy only knew one woman, if he didn’t count the whores in Dusty Flats. “Yeah, you do.”

“She never left your side, not for one minute.”

“She should have.”

“Well, I’m not learned in these matters, but I’d like to think if a woman ever loved me as much as that one loves you ... I’d crawl through hell to be by her side.”
13 likes