Start by marking “Capitol Reflections” as Want to Read:
Capitol Reflections

Capitol Reflections

This exciting new thriller follows Dr. Gwen Maulder, an FDA scientist who is hot on the trail of a conspiracy that leads her through the corridors of power and ends in death for too many innocent victims. What Gwen discovers is that people with the resources to genetically engineer food have a surprisingly clear path toward bringing these foods to market - even when the si ...more
Published September 23rd 2008 by Story Plant (first published December 10th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Capitol Reflections, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Capitol Reflections

Booktrix
Nov 05, 2008 Booktrix rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
an interesting thriller in that it plays off of a topic we may not think too much about when it comes to thrillers: genetically modified foods. but the subject is VERY pertinent today and makes you think about what our foods can become, and who holds to power. it's crazy to think about!!
J'aime
I was hesitant about selecting this book from the Vine program because while I do like medical mysteries, I'm not really a fan of political ones. Since I like to read books in just about every genre, and many reviews had said it was a real page turner, I decided to give it a try. Unfortunately, I just could not get into it. It's rare for me to not finish a book, but about 2/3 of the way through this I finally gave up. My main problem was that I just did not care about the characters.

The plot its
Julie
Nov 22, 2011 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: free-ebook
This is a really good read and in my opinion, in the right price range. Who doesn't love a medical mystery combined with a conspiracy theory mixed with government wrongdoings, coverups and dirty tricks? I'm certainly not one to resist that combination!

There was enough thrill in the story that by the time I was one-third into the book, I had a hard time putting it down. My brain was whirling with the whodunit and conspiracy of it all. I'm only rating it a 3 because, while it was a really good rea
Betty
Jan 29, 2012 Betty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, kindle
Fans of The X-Files may enjoy this science-fiction thriller, the debut novel by Dr. Javitt, whose impressive government credentials aren't quite matched by the sophistication of his plot. Chair of President Bush's Health Subcommittee of the President's Information Technology Advisory Committee and an epidemiologist, Javitt imagines a recent past-2005-in which the threat of genetically modified food has become a reality. When Marci Newman, a workaholic New York City attorney, dies after a mysteri ...more
Cynthisa
Aug 31, 2014 Cynthisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Obviously an intelligent author, but as a writer, needs work to get up to above the basic pot-boiler level. I hate, HATE plots with the kind of "lazy writing" that brings all kinds of "convenient" occurances together. Here's an example from this book: "She'd been named director of [the CDC's] Project BioNet because she was both an excellent physician and a master at the keyboard thanks to some undergraduate classes in computer programming." OK: WHAT!?! Really!?!! "Some undergraduate classes" are ...more
David
Oct 19, 2008 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers of thrillers and contemporary sci fi.
Recommended to David by: the publisher
Full disclosure: the publisher is a friend of mine and I read this book in order to assist with marketing.

To my surprise this is one of my favorite novels I have read in recent years. As one of the blurbs suggested, it grabs you by the throat. I may be naturally inclined to believe in conspiracy theories, but this book suggests one -fiction or fantasy it may be- that rings true and is extremely unnerving since it is about the food and drinks we consume. But that's just the background behind the
Kamas Kirian
It was a good read, well paced and not too technical. One thing that struck me as I was reading was all the product placement. At times, I had to wonder if I was reading a commercial. Perhaps the author funded part of the book with the product placement? But, otherwise it was a pretty good book. It was reminiscent of The Cobra Event by Richard Preston. There were no problems in the eBook edition and only 1 noticeable misspelling.
Julie
Jul 06, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sharon
Apr 30, 2009 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't put this book down. What's killing people across America? Dr. Gwen Maulder wants to find out after her best friend has a seizure in the courtroom right before trying a case.

It's an adventure that takes you from the FDA, to Hawaii, to the political board rooms. The characters are very well thought out and draw you into their lives. This terrifying story line could be the front page news.

Excellent read!
Jean Browne
Jan 07, 2012 Jean Browne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, tight medical thriller that is a real page turner. This story involves a healthy,driven young lawyer who dies unexpectently. When her friend Gwen, a scientist, seeks to find out why, she discovers a much bigger and dangerous mystery putting herself in danger with some very important people. Will Gwen be able to escape? This book had all the right elements for me. It was a page turner and great fun.
Lynda Kelly
Jan 09, 2012 Lynda Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This was a freebie for the Kindle and I'll certainly be on the lookout for the next tale in this series which we're promised !!
It's about a young female lawyer who dies very unexpectedly and her best friend's quest to learn why she died as she just shouldn't have done. It is very believable indeed and you do have to wonder about all this genetically modified "stuff" that's around these days and continues to be created.
I'd highly recommend this one.
Dee Renee  Chesnut
Nov 18, 2011 Dee Renee Chesnut rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks, 2014
This was free when I downloaded it to my Nook library. It is a work of fiction with more than enough facts to make the danger to its innocent victims plausible.
...there is currently no law that require premarket safety review of genetically modified food...

I recommend it to all readers of medical thrillers and conspiracy investigations.
Jack
Nov 18, 2011 Jack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A young woman dies unexpectedly and her best friend can't believe it's just unlucky. A journalist notices odd news stories of people acting crazy. Is there a connection ? Biothriller with a plot that holds the attention.
Valerie
I liked this one...a little bit medical mystery, a little bit thriller. The problem presented was interesting and new, not something that had been used ad nauseum (like the evil corporation spewing out harmful chemicals into the environment). Kudos for a little creativity.
Dave Wooldridge
A decent medical/political thriller. I've read better novels in this genre, but this book was more interesting than I had expected. If you enjoy reading Robin Cook or Michael Palmer, then you may find this one worth reading.
William
Feb 25, 2009 William rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Written by a friend of mine, Capitol Reflections is based on hard science and presents chilling scenarios related to potential terrorist actions. A real thriller.
Jayme
Jayme rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2012
Kat von G
Kat von G rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2012
Shannan
Shannan rated it really liked it
May 03, 2012
Rebecca Fielding
Rebecca Fielding rated it it was ok
Mar 30, 2015
Shannon
Shannon rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2012
Nick
Nick rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2012
Chris Brad
Chris Brad rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2014
Nicole
Nicole rated it did not like it
Dec 25, 2013
Kerry Tingley
Kerry Tingley rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2014
Sharon
Sharon rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2011
Samantha Foley
Samantha Foley rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2017
Audrey Grant
Audrey Grant rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2011
Debra Hamel
Debra Hamel rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2011
Frank
Frank rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Double Exposure
  • The Dead Saint
  • The Noon God
  • We Hold These Truths
  • Commune of Women
  • State of Rebellion (Pug Connor, #1)
  • The Lethal Effect
  • Dead Air (Sammy Greene, #1)
  • Fortunes of War
  • Blood Country (Claire Watkins, #1)
  • Sensei