When Life Gives You O.J.

When Life Gives You O.J.

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  524 ratings  ·  94 reviews
For years, 10-year-old Zelly Fried has tried to convince her parents to let her have a dog. After all, practically everyone in Vermont owns a dog, and it sure could go a long way helping Zelly fit in since moving there from Brooklyn. But when her eccentric grandfather Ace hatches a ridiculous plan involving a "practice dog" named OJ, Zelly's not so sure how far she's willi...more
Published June 14th 2011 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about When Life Gives You O.J., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Life Gives You O.J.

Laurel
Okay, so here's what I've been puzzling over with this book-- it's a PRIME example of the sort of book that sometimes struggles to find the right readers, I think. Because it takes real risks, in quiet ways. It doesn't announce itself as "quirky" or "zany." It just is those things, because it is human, and humans are those things...

The book is charming, yes. It is funny. The characters are real. The writing is impossibly good, without requiring flourishes. It is smart and witty and SIMPLE. In th...more
Betsy
Children's librarians can be neatly divided into two categories with relatively little difficulty. Basically, they either love and adore dogs and all things doggie related or they don't. I don't. I was never the kid begging her parents for a hound. I did not dream of fluffy golden retriever puppies or watch the Westminster Dog Show on television with undiluted envy. As an adult, I've maintained my canine-related neutrality admirably. I don't dislike dogs, but I don't obsess over them. So when fo...more
Marcia
Love the cover!
This is the story of Zelly Fried, an 11 year-old Jewish girl from Brooklyn recently transplanted with her family to Burlington, VT to live with her widowed grandfather Ace. Zelly really wants a dog and Ace proposes the practice dog--an empty OJ jug-that she walks, feeds and even practices with cleaning up after. Through OJ, she meets Jeremy, also Jewish, who becomes a quick friend. This is more the story of finding your place--being proud of your heritage, and learning responsibil...more
katsok
Picked this one up on the recommendation of a friend without really knowing what it was about. Zelly is ten years old and has moved to Vermont from Brooklyn with her family. Her grandmother has passed away and they have moved to live with her grandfather. I enjoyed how Perl dealt with several issues - fitting in, friendships, longing for something, relationships with family members, and more. A very relatable book for the age group I teach.
Katy Kelly

I loved this book. Zelly, like a lot of 10 year olds, is feeling that life has given her a sack lemons. Her family left NY to move to Vermont and the only good that could come of it is that she could finally have a dog of her own. But her parent nix the plan. Luckily, her wacky grandfather has a wacky idea. To prove she's worthy she creates a practice dog, named O.J. after the carton that makes up his body. A lovely, entertaining read.
Mary Ann
Zelly Fried wants a dog more than anything, but her parents aren't convinced. When her eccentric grandpa Ace leaves her a note tied to an old orange juice jug, she's the one who isn't quite convinced. Ace has cooked up a plan for Zelly to have a "practice dog" to prove to her parents that she really is ready to take on the responsibilities of owning a dog. Will Zelly be able to do this? She really does want a dog. But she's sure that she will die of embarrassment "walking" an old orange juice ju...more
Zelly Fried moves from Brooklyn to Vermont with her family to support her aging grandfather. More than anything, Zelly wants a dog. Her grandfather, Ace, convinces her to use an orange juice bottle as a practice dog. The rest of the novel tells how Zelly makes friends, adjusts to life in Vermont, and builds a relationship with her sometimes difficult grandfather.

This middle grade novel reminded me very much of the Kate Messner's The Brilliant Fall of Gianna Z. Both novels include strong girls w...more
Kristi Bernard
Zelda Fried, pronounced freed, wants a dog, wants to go to camp Sonrise with her best friend Allie, and she wants to move back to her old neighborhood. That's quite a bit for an almost eleven year old going int the sixth grade.

When Zelly asks her parents if she can go to camp with her best friends, the answer was no, although her parents congratulated her for making a good case. The problems is they've recently moved to Vermont to a new house. You see, she recently lost her grandmother whom she...more
The premise of this book is great--Zelly and her grandfather hatch a plan to convince her folks to let her get a dog, she'll take care of a practice dog made out of an empty O.J. bottle (including feeding, walking, and picking up pretend poo). However the book is not as funny as the premise--it is actually a much more serious book about relationships and family, responsibility and death. It captures the way that kids really do relate to people who are a lot older then they are--a little bit of f...more
Carolyn Arrington
This is a 2014-2015 Virginia Readers' Choice book for elementary students.

When 10 year old Zelly Fried moves from Brooklyn, N.Y. to Vermont she tries to fit in. In her multi-cultural neighborhood in Brooklyn it wasn't hard but in Vermont she and her family stand out. They moved to Vermont to be with Ace, Zelly's grandfather, after his wife dies. Zelly desperately wants a dog but her parents aren't ready to make that committment. Zelly's loud, bossy grandfather comes up with a plan. He creates a...more
Shannon
Charming, adorable, cute! The chapters are a tad long, so it might take an 8-12 year old some time to finish one. One chapter a night might be asking a lot for an 8 year old. But very adorable book! I LOVED the dictionary at the end! And I have to admit that when I read she finally got her puppy, I teared up. I loved the paw prints at the beg of each chapter and the lil bones!
Zelly was persistant with O.J. and it paid off!

*I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.*
Erica Perl
May 28, 2011 Erica Perl rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
OK, I'm biased (I'm the author), but here's what PW said:

"In this warm novel about family, friendship, and fitting in... Perl (Vintage Veronica) offers a refreshing take on the grandparent-grandchild rapport. The novel strikes an admirable balance of humor and pathos--at times in the same scene."

And modernjewishmom.com called it "a must-read for all 8-12 year olds."

But don't just take our word for it, pour yourself a glass! Because O.J. isn't just for breakfast anymore.
I loved this little book. A wonderful chapter book for younger children (second-fourth grade is where I see it). This is the story of Zelly and her grandfather and a discarded plastic jug that becomes Zelly's "practice dog." Themes of family, friendship, and responsibility run through this story. Will appeal to boys and girls alike. Also reminds me that we don't see too many books with young Jewish protagonists outside of Holocaust literature.
Kathy
Lorna
Loved this book! A great look at what is irritating yet lovable about our families through the relationship of Zelly and her grandfather, Ace. You laugh and you cry at the evolution of the relationship during the course of the book. The additional messages about challenges and changes in friendships make this a great middle grades read for kids 9-12. I'd highly recommend it!
Angie
My favorite part of this story was actually the Grandpa ... "Ace."

In my head everything he said was shouted. Kind of funny because neither of my grandpas shouted. It just really made the character that he was always so blustery and loud.

Zelly was an interesting character as well, though. Good one to give kids.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
I wasn't exactly sure what the book was about when I picked it up but I loved who Perl pulled together this story about Zelly and her desire for a puppy along with wonderful elements of friendship and family and does it all well. Will add this to my list of read alouds for Second and Third grade this year.
Sophie
This book is about a girl that really wants a dog and her parents will not agree, so they give her a empty gallon of orange juice and tell her that is her dog. Evreyday she drags it for a walk, feeds it, and takes it to the bathroom just like a real dog. This book was funny and a great story idea.
Brooke
Really cute book. I appreciated how real the characters were and how believable the issues she was dealing with. I would recommend for 8-12 year old girls, or a fun quick summer read for the parent :)
Jacqueline
Nice story abou getting adjusted to a new home, waiting for something you want,and relationships with grandparents. All the characters are lovable and the grandfather is particularly well-drawn.
Meredith
What a funny, sweet story. Cranky grandfather + fake dog + early adolescent angst = charming. And the touches of grief and understanding elevate it beyond quirky. Very nicely done.
Lupine
Loved this book. Honest and the characters are realistic -- not always likable but always relatable. Humorous but deals with the issues head on. Great for that upper elementary reader.
Franki Sibberson
A good middle grade novel. Deals with issues that are current and handled well for this age group. Lots of humor too which makes is a great read.
Edward Sullivan
A sweet, funny story with charming characters. The cover art is certainly among cutest of the year.
Addison Children
Zelly wants a dog. She wants a dog badly enough to try her grandfather's idea of a practice dog. OJ is a gallon plastic jug and every morning and evening Zelly adds dog food and water, then ties OJ to a leash and takes him for a drag. Along the way she must empty out the sodden food and pick it up with a baggy. All in all not a bad idea for learning the realities of dog ownership. Other plot points are the family's recent move to Vermont, living with grandpa, missing grandma (deceased), bullies,...more
Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
For all kids who have ever really, really, and I mean REALLY wanted a dog.
Laura5
"I guess sometimes you don't know things about yourself until you do." pg 185
Rachel
Cute book with lots to talk about for a book club.
Brenda Kahn
Found it sweet and amusing.
Charlyn  Trussell
When Zelly Fried's family moves from Brooklyn to Vermont to care for her grandfather, Zelly finds herself amidst people who are quite different from her and her family. But she does find one positive thing: now that they live in a home with a yard, maybe she can finally get the dog she has always wanted. There is no support from her parents on that issue, however. But Ace, her grandfather gives her a "practice" dog, an empty orange juice container, which she names O.J. Ace tells her she must pro...more
test 1 1 May 10, 2012 03:59PM
  • Small as an Elephant
  • What Happened on Fox Street
  • Pearl Verses the World
  • Warp Speed
  • Addie on the Inside (The Misfits, #3)
  • The Adventures of Sir Gawain the True (Knights' Tales, #3)
An accomplished and versatile writer, Erica S. Perl wears many hats literally and figuratively. Her middle grade novel, WHEN LIFE GIVES YOU O.J., is "a must read for all 8-12 year olds" (modernjewishmom.com). It was named a Sydney Taylor Award Notable Book, and was a finalist for state book awards in VT and RI. The sequel, ACES WILD, came out in Summer, 2013.

She is also the author of several pictu...more
More about Erica S. Perl...
Vintage Veronica Chicken Butt Dotty Chicken Butt's Back! Aces Wild