Start by marking “Nullification” as Want to Read:
Nullification

Nullification

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  603 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
Citizens across the country are fed up with the politicians in Washington telling us how to live our lives?and then sticking us with the bill. But what can we do? Actually, we can just say ?no.OCO As "New York Times" bestselling author Thomas E. Woods, Jr., explains, ?nullificationOCO allows states to reject unconstitutional federal laws. For many tea partiers nationwide, ...more
Published May 14th 2014 by Not Avail (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Nullification, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nullification

Douglas Wilson
Jul 08, 2012 Douglas Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics
This book was first-rate, and outlines about the only effective resistance strategy we have left.
John Maniscalco
Jul 28, 2010 John Maniscalco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up because I was interested in the topic but I expected a rather sophomoric and bombastic argument for nullification. I could not have been more wrong.

Woods brilliantly and persuasively argues in support of nullification and its effectiveness in combating a federal government that seeks constant accumulation of powers not expressly designated to it by the Constitution. In a beautiful accounting of the compact theory of union Woods argues that it is the duty of states to interp
Jason Mccool
Is a federal government created by the states the only legitimate judge of it's own power? Is it a conflict of interest for the federal judiciary (i.e. the Supreme Court) to rule on the extent of the federal government's power when it conflicts with that of the states that made it? Is "States Rights" just an obscure rallying cry for wannabe rebels or was it an integral part of our founding, and a key component of the checks and balances designed to keep our federal government from becoming just ...more
Kenny Murphy
Sep 04, 2011 Kenny Murphy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
This is a wonderfully written book by Tom Woods about the history of nullification in the U.S. The process of "nullification", is when the states uphold the 10th Amendment, The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people. Thus, a unconstitutional law is not a law at all and the State has every right to not comply with the Federal government.

Woods discusses parts of the Constitution s
Darryl Perry
May 16, 2011 Darryl Perry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been “fan” of Tom Woods since I first read The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History. Since reading that book a few years ago, I’ve read more of Tom’s books; Who Killed the Constitution and Meltdown. I’ve had the chance to meet Tom, even having an interesting dinner with him, Adam Kokesh, Michael Maresco and about a dozen other active members of the “Freedom Movement.” Tom being the nice guy that he is, even contributed to a book I co-wrote and edited as a tribute to the Ron Pau ...more
Brent
Jul 10, 2010 Brent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: state legislators, libertarians, fans of small government
I gave this book 5/5 stars not for the writing, but for the book's concept: a state's ability to declare an unconstitutional federal law null and void.

Woods cites as precedent the Kentucky Resolutions of 1798 and the Virginia Resolutions of 1799. These were issued by the state legislatures in response to President John Adams' Alien and Sedition Acts which, among other things, made it a crime to simply criticize the government.

Anyway, with that stage set, Woods expounds upon the Compact Theory of
David Robins
Sep 26, 2010 David Robins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great to have the argument for nullification so cogently presented, as well as the historical documents defending it as the second part of the volume. Very well synthesized by Dr. Woods; stayed well focused on topic, but also presented a few insights into libertarian natural rights and non-aggression philosophy.
Wil Roese
Apr 29, 2011 Wil Roese rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Woods makes a strong historical case for the duty of state legislatures to nullify federal laws which they feel are unconstitutional. He also shows the Federal government derives its power from the states.
Jeremy Purves
Mr. Woods effectively sums up his respect for the U.S. Constitution by quoting famous American anarchist, Lysander Spooner, in the conclusion of his book on Nullification: "Lysander Spooner, abolitionist and anarchist, once said that the Constitution has either authorized the government we have now or has been helpless to prevent it. `In either case,' he starkly concluded, the Constitution `is unfit to exist.'" (pg 142)

With this book, Woods has finally just violently hurled himself out of mainst
Jul 31, 2010 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First, the cover art is a horrible choice and a great disservice to the content within. This book is not a partisan, petulant, whining attack of one political party against another. Instead, you can expect a clear, well-documented overview of aspects of governance in America, particularly:

*A defense of the 9th and 10th Amendments of the constitution
*A questioning look at what happens when there is a dispute between a state government and the federal government over distribution of powers - and a
William
May 23, 2012 William rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book already being a giant fan of Dr. Woods, and was not disappointed by his latest offering. "Nullification" is a brilliant concept and its time has now come. Nullification is the exercise of state power with regard to interpreting the constitution. Relying on (and I think proving) that the constitution was based on a contract between the original 13 states and their agent the Federal Government, Nullification argues that the States, as an equal party in the federal compact, have a ...more
Jack Hansen
The purpose of this book is to stop federal lawlessness. The United States Constitution is subject to interpretation by men/women who dismantle the restraints instituted by our founding fathers. That interpretation leads with the claim that our Constitution is a living document that may change to suit society's progress. The result of this attitude, which is taught by our most prestigious institutes of higher learning, is a complete reversal of the document's intention, to prevent tyranny.

Nulli
Don
May 24, 2015 Don rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The cover is the worst part of the book. The font and photo seem to be chosen to be inflammatory, and I was worried that it would feel like reading the transcripts of a conservative talk show. But the cover does not match the tone of most of the writing.

Most of the book is well written. The topic is the proper understanding of the constitution, federal powers, and States' rights, as well as what remedies were suggested by various Framers for when the Federal government acts in an unconstitution
Andrew Skretvedt
Feb 21, 2015 Andrew Skretvedt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All U.S. persons
You'll know we've made good progress reclaiming the Republic when plural forms of denominating the United States return to common language. This helpful perspective illuminates how this a one time federation of States has devolved into a set of almost mere administrative districts of The State.

"Cooperative Federalism" is what one clumsy-yet-slick YouTube channel called our present state of affairs (Crash Course, made possible with support from PBS).

This book shows you how any such sense of feder
Stephen
In a game of word association, chances are that 'nullification' would not meet with flattering replies. Nullification is a word associated with the Civil War, or the Civil Rights movement, of the southern states blocking attempts at racial equality by insisting on their own right to declare a federal law unconstitutional, and thus null and void. But nullification has a richer and nobler history than its modern critics realize; in Nullification, Tom Woods explains the legal basis of the principle ...more
Vladimir
This books makes the argument that the united states is a compact between sovereign States, and State governments should nullify federal law exceeding the scope of the constitution by resisting enforcement.

Historically, I agree. My problem with the book is that the causation is backwards.

Nullification was an effect of the States being relatively powerful compared to the Federal government. The States were relatively powerful when the Federal government was new, poorly funded, and the majority o
Seth
Woods does a fantastic job detailing the history of the political doctrine of nullification--a legitimate and necessary tool that the States have the right (and responsibility) to wield in order to reign in the federal government's vast, unconstitutional expansion of power and authority in American life. The Supreme Court is not in fact the final arbiter of disputes about the Constitution. As it is a document that lays out very limited, enumerated powers for the federal government, how does it f ...more
Cormacjosh
May 14, 2014 Cormacjosh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful book by Dr. Thomas Woods which explains the concept of Nullification and how it really works in layman’s terms. There is more than what the history teachers in school are telling you and it is important to learn. So important I felt that I should read the book for work, which is one of the reasons I am pleased it is so accessible. PLEASE read this book. The future of our Republic depends upon proper education of constitutional law, especially the Principles of ’98.
Thomas Walsh
Mar 09, 2013 Thomas Walsh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics
With Obama Care and Gun Control front and center in the news, this is truly a timely book. Thomas Woods clearly defines what Nullification is and what it is not. He takes us on a journey back in history and shows us all of the times that it was used to protect the citizens from the over-reach of the federal power. The author also confronts the misinformation of the liberals by showing how Nullification has been used to protect the rights of minorities rather than circumventing them. With example ...more
Joshua Nuckols
Aug 05, 2015 Joshua Nuckols rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Resistance to federal tyranny MUST begin with the states. Policing the Federal Government's constitutionality should not be an in-house affair, the Fed's should not monopolize constitutional interpretation and enforcement.
Sharon Wilbur
Aug 03, 2015 Sharon Wilbur rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a real find for History Buffs. Dr. Woods describes the process of Nullification and reasons why it was believed that states had the power to use this to reign in Federal excesses. All his points are backed up by sources, and several letters from Statesmen and Judges are reproduced that argue for its use. Fantastic read.
Becky DeVendra
May 11, 2012 Becky DeVendra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a good reference for those of us completely disgruntled about the current security state perpetuated by the government. It's full of juicy little quotes too:

"Perhaps it is a universal truth that the loss of liberty at home is to be charged to provisions against danger, real and pretended, from abroad." -James Madison

The basic premise is this: we don't have to put op with overreaching federal legislation because there are provable provisions in the constitution that allow states to
Chad Greenough
Jun 09, 2015 Chad Greenough rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you think the federal government is getting WAY too intrusive into your personal business, you need to read this book to find out all about a constitutional rememdy that we have at our disposal to put the tiger back in its cage!!
Andrew
Mar 17, 2013 Andrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was quite a compelling book, and I highly recommend it. The author leads the reader through a logical understanding of the arguments behind the American Revolution, the creation of the Constitution, and the ratification of the Constitution by the Several States. In particular, he focuses on the Principles of 1798, and talks frankly about a history that, I imagine, many Americans do not know, and, most assuredly, they did not learn in school or college. I will definitely keep this book to re ...more
Bill Gordon
Sep 16, 2010 Bill Gordon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Most people think a contested law makes its way through our court system, then, if necessary, goes to the Supreme Court for a final decision regarding the law's legality. But that's not the end of the process as envisioned by our Founders. Each individual state may declare a particular law unconstitutional and then refuse to adhere to that law. Read this fascinating book about the process known as nullification. You probably won't learn any of this in school because, as the author points out, it ...more
Brian Leach
Apr 17, 2011 Brian Leach rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: political
Good primer for those unfamiliar with the subject. I wish the book would have been identified as such before I bought it. Most of the book is an extremely boring read and entire chapters are verbatim reproductions of 18th/19th century "legalese."

If you've never heard of the Kentucky/Virginia resolutions and still think the Civil War was fought to free the slaves then I would highly recommend this book. Hardcore, well-versed libertarians shouldn't waste their time.
Travis Reno
Nov 09, 2010 Travis Reno rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is filled with evidence of how the framers of the Constitution "intended" for the federal government to be weak, and the states to have the power. Ok, I get it! Were way off the path that was laid out by the founding fathers. I'm a constitutional conservative, but the question that goes unanswered, and is perhaps uninsurable is "what is so special about those men that the constructed th best possible form of government?"
The American Conservative
'Nullification is a brief book in terms of original authorial content, but what’s here is wonderful. Woods is a scholar, yet his writing style is accessible, with just the right amount of punch. He sets forth the case for nullification with logic and nuance but in a conversational tone.'

Read the full review, "Know Your States' Rights," on our website:
Dave
Jan 19, 2011 Dave rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Once again, Woods delivers! This book was very well thought out and the arguments very persuasive. Woods quotes the framers of the constitution, among other to make the case for nullification. He explains that the ideas of nullification were very much in the mainstream in early America, and makes the case that these ideas are a useful defense against an overreaching federal government in modern times.
Joe N.
Excellent book I very Highly recommend. Tom Woods does well at bringing to light long forgotten details and history of a very important check on our federal government. If we love our country and the principles of our Constitution then we must know and understand the scope and utilize the checks and balances that were set up when we created our compact, in fact we are "Duty Bound" to.
  • The Real Lincoln: A New Look at Abraham Lincoln, His Agenda, and an Unnecessary War
  • Lies the Government Told You: Myth, Power, and Deception in American History
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Constitution
  • A Foreign Policy of Freedom: Peace, Commerce, and Honest Friendship
  • The Case Against the Fed
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Great Depression and the New Deal
  • Latter-day Liberty: A Gospel Approach to Government and Politics
  • Democracy--The God That Failed: The Economics and Politics of Monarchy, Democracy, and Natural Order
  • The Declaration of Independents: How Libertarian Politics Can Fix What's Wrong with America
  • Liberalism
Professor Thomas E. Woods, Jr., is the author of the New York Times bestseller The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History, as well as The Church Confronts Modernity: Catholic Intellectuals and the Progressive Era and The Church and the Market: A Catholic Defense of the Free Economy.
He hold four Ivy League degrees, including an A.B. from Harvard and a Ph.D. from Columbia. He lives with hi
More about Thomas E. Woods Jr....

“Madison wrote in Federalist #41, “For what purpose could the enumeration of particulars be inserted, if these and all others were meant to be included in the preceding general power?” In 1792, he said: If Congress can employ money indefinitely to the general welfare, and are the sole and supreme judges of the general welfare, they may take the care of religion into their own hands; they may appoint teachers in every state, county, and parish, and pay them out of the public treasury; they may take into their own hands the education of children, establishing in like manner schools throughout the Union; they may assume the provision for the poor; they may undertake the regulation of all roads other than post-roads; in short, everything, from the highest object of state legislation down to the most minute object of police, would be thrown under the power of Congress.3” 0 likes