Start by marking “May on Motors” as Want to Read:
May on Motors
Preview

May on Motors

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Best known as the third presenter in the unholy trinity that is Clarkson, Hammond and May on Top Gear, James May has lived, breathed and dreamt about cars his entire life.

There is something about cars that stirs up intense feelings in people - how it makes them look to the outside world, how it makes them feel about themselves, how it looks to their girlfriends or their ma
Published 2006 by Virgin Books

To ask other readers questions about May on Motors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about May on Motors

Nick Nillo
I will always argue that James May is by far the best commentator on on Top Gear no matter who keeps calling him Captain Slow. I really enjoyed his book even though it can get pretentious and preachy at times. If you're a fan of the man you'll really like his book. If you find him too boring, stick to Jezza. (If you're not a Top Gear fan, don't be surprised if you don't understand me)
Sharon
These are a collection of May's columns from the Telegraph in one handy book form. Unlike Clarkson's World According book they are all car or bike related but even to a very non-petrol head they are still very amusing, covering everything from mad French drivers to his dislike of Motorways. Anyone who drives and goes on road trips through to those that like nothing better than to tinker around in the garage for hours will enjoy this read. May is knowledgeable and witty and can talk about a subje ...more
Phil
One Sentence Review: Quite simply the ideal bathroom reader for any car enthusiast who appreciates witty British humour (note the British spelling of that particular word); like any compilation there are duds and there are home runs, but the bottom line is that it is consistently entertaining, enjoyable, and at times laugh-out-loud funny.
Olivia Friary
This is so weird. I scanned the barcode for a giant picture book called Nature's Show Offs. It was illustrated by John Francis, courtesy of Bernard Thornton Artists. Instead Goodreads came up with this book about cars. I really need to find another copy of this book - my chihuahua peed on our copy.
Sam
I enjoyed May on Motors. It's simply a collection of his articles, but having the book format made it handy to pick up and read an article or two at a time, which I feel is a nice, leisurely way of reading fun books. His style is very personable and accessible, though occasionally grumpy.
Becca
Out of the three Top Gear presenters, I enjoy James May's writing the most. This book may just be a collection of columns he's written, and they all relate in some way to cars, but I enjoy it regardless.
Den
Sep 22, 2011 Den rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
Some of the articles caught my attention whilst others didn't (usually those about cars!!!!!!).
Perfect for a book to pick up and read a section quickly whilst waiting for the kettle to boil etc.
Gregory Gay
James May's oldest essay book is probably his weakest, but still a good collection of hilarious musings on cars and tech. Good stuff!
Paddy Willard
A collection of May's musings for various mags and papers. Some good, some OK but altogether more measured than a Clarkson rant.
Neil Denham
If you like cars, and you like James may then you will like this book. If not stay well clear!
Jono
Good in places, but was a bit repetitive and at the end of the day he's not Clarkson.
Chris
Quite simply, funnier than Clarkson's World according to books.
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Ewka
Ewka marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Clarkson on Cars
  • As You Do: Adventures with Evel, Oliver, and the Vice-President of Botswana
  • Meditation As Medicine: Activate the Power of Your Natural Healing Force
  • The Man in the White Suit: The Stig, Le Mans, the Fast Lane and Me
  • The Naked Jape: Uncovering the Hidden World of Jokes
  • Three Great Novels (Inspector Rebus, #7-9)
  • Michael Jackson's Great Beer Guide
  • Lewis Hamilton: My Story
  • The Labyrinth Makers
  • Crossroads: The Life and Music of Eric Clapton
  • Adventures In A Tv Nation
  • Vodka
  • Overtaken
James May is a British television presenter and award-winning journalist.

May is best known as co-presenter of the motoring programme Top Gear alongside Jeremy Clarkson and Richard Hammond. He also writes a weekly column for The Daily Telegraph's motoring section. On Top Gear, his nickname is "Captain Slow", owing to his 'careful' driving style. He has, however, carried out some exceptionally high-
More about James May...
Notes from the Hard Shoulder Car Fever: Dispatches From Behind The Wheel How to Land an A330 Airbus and Other Vital Skills for the Modern Man. James May's 20th Century James May's Magnificent Machines: How Men in Sheds Have Changed Our Lives