Start by marking “Night Shift” as Want to Read:
Night Shift

Night Shift

3.21 of 5 stars 3.21  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  14 reviews
To escape a troubled home, Jamie works the night shift at a department store with a rag-tag group of punks, war veterans, and bickering couples. He's unsure what direction he wants to take in life until a mysterious new co-worker arrives.

With his long ponytail, faint accent, and quiet manner, Derrik manages to disturb or fascinate everyone, not just one pint-sized Southern
Kindle Edition
Published by Flying With Red Haircrow (first published November 5th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Night Shift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night Shift

Posted at Outlaw Reviews

19-year-old Jamie is a college student working third shift at the receiving department of a large retail store. He doesn’t really need the money, but he has a dream of going to Europe someday. His co-workers are a mixed bag, some rather odd and benign, others downright malicious, taunting Jamie because of his androgynous appearance and sweet disposition.

Derrik is the new guy who transferred from another store because of problems with his ex-wife. Jamie is intrigued from
Elisa Rolle
Like the other novella I read by Red Haircrow, even if the setting is totally different, an historical the other a contemporary this one, there is a common undertone to both of them, a mix of sad and bitter that cannot make them ordinary romances, but in any case, the involved men will have an happily ever after of some sort, maybe only a little later than in an ordinary romance would happen.

Another similarity is the difference in age of the men, one is barely a boy, and the other is an adult m
Pamela Craft Jenewein
Smashwords Freebie

Night Shift, Red Haircrow

I truly enjoyed this read, a simple well written romance that moved smoothly. As a short story the premise was clear, as the characters, Jamie and Derrick conveyed a natural contemporary plot. However the intrigue is in Derrick’s dodging anything that reveals too much of his past. All the characters were interesting; even Arnold who plays a very minor role, but left an impression on me. Overall an engaging read that should be shared.
Red Haircrow
Jan 27, 2011 Red Haircrow rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I hope you enjoy Jamie and Derrik's story as much as I enjoyed creating it. Please note the sequel to "Night Shift" is already in the works, it's titled "The Berlin Shift", an excerpt is available at my GLBT Bookshelf website .

Kia Shiru
Great story. I loved the writing and the characters, finished the book in just a few hours.
I loved how gentile Derrik is and some of the total teenage angst that Jamie showed.
I found it to be a very sweet read.
The summary of the book overpromised too much. Too much. The actual book, unfortunately, was completely flat and uninteresting. It read more like a short gay orgy than a character study/meeting of minds of two people. I could not care for anyone, for the plot, and there was too much telling and very little showing. Maybe I'm just vehemently against authors who confuse lust with love, and insta-love in general, but the book just rubbed me the wrong way. Above all, it felt like both of them were j ...more
I utterly and completely enjoyed this book. I question myself on why I had not read it sooner, but acquainting myself with Red himself recently it hit me that I have a book written by him that I hadn't yet tackled and was eager to get to.

Somehow I was able to connect the one character with the author himself :winks: Great plot, but the story ends begging for a sequel and I know I sure as heck want to see one.

Two thumbs up.
This story starts and when it gets interesting its over, lol. There is definitely something in this start, but it's to short to say more about it. Jamie is to young, to emotional and Derrick is to closed up and to mysterious. There is to little information about both main characters but in good epilogue for something serious writing.
Lil' Grogan
I got lost in the adverbs, adjectives and overall descriptions. Story itself was ok-ish. The romance type was too dramatic for me. Points for Jamie sounding like an immature teen and Derrik sounding older.

Note: No, you cannot see the same stars wherever you are in the world. There is a distinct difference between hemispheres.
Definitely likeable characters and a good story. They need more time though. Glad to see there is a sequel planned.
Loved it but entirely to short,please write more on Jamie and Derick.
I loved Jamie and Derrik in this sad and sweet story.
Sexy ;) served its purpose:p
Noblemayhem marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
Wara added it
Jan 26, 2015
S.M. Franklin
S.M. Franklin marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Rochella marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2013
Ashlee added it
May 07, 2013
Penelope Frost
Penelope Frost marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2012
Olga added it
Oct 29, 2012
Sam added it
Sep 23, 2012
Marie added it
Aug 14, 2012
Courtney Edson
Courtney Edson marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
An award-winning writer/poet, news correspondent, chef and activist of Native American descent (Chiricahua Apache/Cherokee) who lives in Berlin, Germany. Red Haircrow holds a BSc of Psychology, is a Graduate Student at MSU Bozeman, and owns and operates Flying With Red Haircrow Productions, a multimedia consultation company. Member SIP, NAJA, SAIGS, and SSITA.

More about Red Haircrow...