Start by marking “The Historical Jesus” as Want to Read:
The Historical Jesus

The Historical Jesus

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  1,158 ratings  ·  36 reviews
"He comes as yet unknown into a hamlet of Lower Galilee. He is watched by the cold, hard eyes of peasants living long enough at a subsistence level to know exactly where the line is drawn between poverty and destitution. He looks like a beggar yet his eyes lack the proper cringe, his voice the proper whine, his walk the proper shuffle. He speaks about the rule of God and t ...more
Published July 13th 2010 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Historical Jesus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Historical Jesus

John Cloer
As one who was raised as a fundamentalist christian, I can say this book was instrumental in changing the course of my life. Just as I was finding my way out of the church I heard the author, John Dominic Crossan, speaking on Fresh Air (NPR). As soon as I heard him I knew I had to read this book. This book is dense, but I was a religious studies major so I could swing with it. I imagine many laypersons would struggle a bit. The author has said that a layperson's version of this book would be, Je ...more
Pete daPixie
As usual I've read the later publication 'Beneath the Stones', before dropping backwards into 1991 to tackle this one.
J.D.C. has a well researched and thoroughly historical picture of a Mediterranian Jewish Peasant in first century Palastine. Prof Crossan casts his net back into anthropological models of agrarian societies and their class divisions. For the first two hundred pages here, there is no mention of Jesus of Nazareth. However, I think this first half of the book is the more enjoyable.
Helaine
Some points, among others, I took away from the book:

"Resort to prophesy is a universal response of beaten men." p. 104

Jesus' invocation of the Kingdom of God was not as an apocalyptic event. "Insofar as that perfect verb [eggiken], common to the Sayings Gospel Q and Mark, reflects the message of Jesus, it states that the Kingdom is at hand or near in the sense not of promise but of presence and that its power is made visible in the commonality of shared miracle and shared meal." p. 345

Jesus mis
Erik Graff
Jan 28, 2014 Erik Graff rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Erik by: Michael Miley
Shelves: religion
Crossan is one of the more rewarding popular interpreters of the Christian scriptures. Unlike most serious biblical scholarship, his books, while eminently serious, are lively and well-written. Most appreciated, other than his liberal political take on the figure of Jesus, is his bringing insights into the field from other disciplines: sociology, anthropology, economics, literary theory etc.
Lydia
Finished and loved it. I love his consistent emphasis on the call for justice for all. It is amazing to me that such a scholarly text can still end up so evangelical. Many people object to Crossan, but I think his honest, straightforward willingness to admit his agenda and his assumptions is a fresh approach to scholarly criticism of biblical texts.
Lawrence
Crossan is hotly debated within the hardline Christian academic community..

He should be read, though...a dynamic take on a subject that sometimes is left in too much
dogma...
Wade
This dense and meaty book seeks to provide a historical context to events in Galilee and Judea during the first century C.E. The objective is to better understand not only who Jesus was, but the background and impact of the revolutionary message he brought to his fellow Mediterranean Jewish peasants (and ultimately to us). To find the Historical Jesus, Crossan argues that we must utilize scientific methodology (archeology, historical record, etc) while holding an appreciation for the theological ...more
Jared
If I had a bookshelf for "books that helped shape my religious views," this would be on there.

Crossan offers an alternative view of Jesus of Nazareth--not as a religious figure or the de facto son of God--but as a historical and political figure. Crossan discusses the politics of the 1st Century Roman Empire, and what it meant to be a Jew living in Judaea at that time.

Throughout the course of the book, Crossan hypothesizes that Jesus was initially a follower of John the Baptist, that he was neve
John
when i read this i loved it. you gotta go out and read about the historical jesus.

but be aware that most historians writing about the historical jesus are actually christians too, in the sense that they carry the baggage and biases of judeo-christian culture and history. looking back, this is especially apparent with this author. but any source that exposes you to the gospel of thomas, Q, and other gospels that didnt make the bible, is worth a read if you havent been exposed to these gospels alr
Jacob
The book is solid and presents good information (albeit not organized as well as it could be), interesting questions, and some decent arguments. However, Crossan doesn't deal with counter arguments and often doesn't support positions he takes.

This is not a good introduction to historical Jesus scholarship; it presumes a good amount of background information (e.g. it doesn't explain Markan priority or Q) and goes against the large scholarly consensus on some important points (e.g. Jesus's apocaly
Don Moman
This book is essential reading for anyone who has an interest in Jesus, whether you are already invested, curious, or hostile, there's something in here that will deepen your understanding of Jesus as a historical figure.

The first 200 pages doesn't discuss Jesus at all. Rather, Crossan uses comparative archaeology and anthropology to show what life was like for first century Jewish peasants under Roman rule with a focus on the avenues of resistance to the power of Rome and the Jewish aristocracy
David
Tough stuff, but worth it. Once you get a hang of Crossan, you come to love him. He sets the stage for Jesus in every possible way -- examining every aspect (market conditions, anthropology, social conflicts, science, etc...) of what it meant to exist in the dawning of the common era. Of the ten or so books that I read for my grad class on Jesus, this was the best.
Ben Tousey
This is a rather intense book. The author goes into great, almost boring detail about what life was like for Palestine in the days of Jesus. He uses the papyrus from Egypt, quoting some of the most mundane statistics, like how much a grain tax might cost to an Egyptian farmer.

There's a good reason for this. The Egyptians were treated very similar to the Palestinians, and we just don't have a lot of documentation from Palestine. Most of those people were illiterate, and those who could write, did
Anne Nelson
Fascinating account that combines thorough historical research with archeology and solid Biblical scholarship. A lot of tenets of orthodox Christianity fall by the historical wayside, but one is left with a compelling story of a great teacher struggling against social intolerance and a brutal occupation. (I read it the week I was in Jerusalem.)
Linksbard
frankly, the hoops academia sets itself up to jump through in the name of "objectivity" are just silly. artifice at its blindest. the entire first 200 pages amount to defense of his "methodology." ugh, and unfortunately detracts from erstwise interesting stuff.
Ron
A scholarly, historical analysis of the life of a simple peasant from the Mediterranean, it explodes all the myths and gives an accurate portrait of someone--if he ever truly existed--who could not possibly have been what the religious crowd believes.
Angie
While sometimes his rubric could be hard to follow, and while I'm sure there are plenty of scholars who will disagree with his conclusions, it remains that Crossan has formulated a logical and coherent methodology for identifying what Jesus *most likely* said versus what is attributed to him by later editors/authors.

His discussion of the societal norms and boundaries (for instance his discussion of illness/reference of Mary Douglas) that existed at that time period were also very enlightening an
Shane Wagoner
Rarely does one get to witness a master at work the way one does when reading this gem. Admittedly, I had immense difficulties getting through the first through sections which, despite a few interesting segments (such as exposition on Cynic Philosophy and Apocolypticism), were primarily set-up. However, after extensively analyzing the culture and history into which Jesus was thrust, Crossan dives into part three. In the third section, Crossan uses textual criticism to determine what sayings most ...more
Dipa  Raditya
Dulu pernah ada pertanyaan apakah benar Yesus adalah sosok yang berdaging, benar-benar ada secara autentik dalam sejarah, dan kalau benar-benar ada seperti apakah kisah hidupnya. Yesus (Isa/Yehoshua) adalah sosok paling prominen dan tonggak keimanan bagi salah satu agama tertua di dunia , Kristiani. Bagi orang Islam, Yesus adalah seorang nabi yang mulia. John Dominic Crossan yang tergabung dan juga salah satu dedengkot dalam studi tentang Yesus Sejarah (Historical Jesus) mendirikan sebuah paguyu ...more
Matt
Pretty awesome. For example, "the poor" had two possible translations in New Testament Greek. One meant the working poor, and the other meant the destitute/beggars. The one used in the early Greek versions of the Gospels is the destitute. How cool is that nugget of knowledge that I just dropped? Pretty cool. This book is full of stuff like that, even if a few of his interpretations are a little dubious. In one instance, he dismisses "and he was angry" at the tail of one of Jesus's parables becau ...more
Mike Porter
This is a challenge to read which is why I gave it 3 stars. It appears to be written for a bible scholar rather than lay readers. The author's vocabulary sent me to the dictionary frequently but still could not find definitions for some words. They must be scholar lingo.

Still, it is a very comprehensive treatment of the context of the times in which Jesus lived, and for that I really liked reading it. I gained a real appreciation for those times. Further, the book exposes the reader to what doc
Ethan Everhart
Astoundingly dense text that covers the historical, anthropological, and historiographical contexts incredibly well. Some of the prose is wonderful. This is a great book for anyone interested in the topic; I just didn't get as much out of it as some because I couldn't give it the time and close reading it requires.
K.V. McMillan
I found this wonderful volume at a fairly young age and as a non-Christian was impressed with the author's ability to turn a critical, historian's eye upon his own deeply held beliefs.
Mister Crossan's ability to weed through what he believes is the fact and fiction of Christian faith and present it in a logical form, including the self-revelations of his personal beliefs, for everyone to understand is unequaled.
Though to this day, I am still not a Christian but this one volume did impress upon
Matthew Oneil
This is definitely a scholarly piece, but well worth the read. It took me about 200 pages to finally start finding stuff about Jesus, let alone new information that identifies the myth from historic. Not that it was useless information; all was relevant to understanding the life and culture in first century Palestine and the surrounding cultures. However, I feel it would've been better suited mixed in with the discussion of the historic Jesus rather than separated from him. I feel it would have ...more
Rosemary
Dense but rewarding. The author has read a vast number of texts and gives us the highlights, including Egyptian papyri describing Family Law battles - not much has changed in 2,000 years...

I had to skim through but this would be worth coming back to.
Arif Junelfri
Sheryl
This book puts Jesus into historical context - when, where and how he lived. It also zeros in on exactly what he said. BUT, this is an academic book - not a book for the commercial market. At the time I read it(for a class at my church), I called it academic abuse. If you have ever wanted to know what theologians REALLY know about Jesus and how they know it, this is the book for you.

Be warned, large parts of this book concern the methodology involved. Its a difficult slog. I found it worthwhile
Carolyn
Uncomfortable reading at first, but, in the end, an appreciated re-acquaintance with Jesus. The book made Jesus more real to me. I feel I understand Him, and what He was about, better now. My faith is strengthened, not lessened, by knowing more about who Jesus was, and what He taught and how He wants us to live. (I wound up somewhat annoyed at how much Jesus has been distorted by the Church, and by how much His teachings are ignored by His followers.)
Cathy Wilcox
This scholarly work challenged me. It was very informative and often referenced texts with which I was unfamiliar. I accepted the author's conclusions at face value and found his arguments logical and balanced. In my opinion, understanding that all religions, including my own, are part truth and part mythology is an important step toward letting go of the details that often generate arguments and moving toward a more profound understanding.
Michael Miley
The book I was looking for when I asked the question: Who was Jesus, really? Crossan goes at it with a scientifically-minded historical method, laying down one layer at a time, exploring what we know from economics, history, political analysis, anthropology, and textual biblical criticism of the time of Jesus. A really good book. More on this book later.
  • Jesus: Uncovering the Life, Teachings, and Relevance of a Religious Revolutionary
  • The Five Gospels: What Did Jesus Really Say? The Search for the Authentic Words of Jesus
  • The Quest of the Historical Jesus
  • The Historical Figure of Jesus
  • The Lost Gospel: The Book of Q and Christian Origins
  • Lost Scriptures: Books That Did Not Make It Into the New Testament
  • Rescuing the Bible from Fundamentalism: A Bishop Rethinks the Meaning of Scripture
  • A Marginal Jew: Rethinking the Historical Jesus. Volume One, The Roots of the Problem and the Person (The Anchor Bible Reference Library)
  • Jesus and Empire: The Kingdom of God and the New World Disorder
  • The Complete Gospels: Annotated Scholar's Version
  • The Real Jesus: The Misguided Quest for the Historical Jesus & the Truth of the Traditional Gospels
  • The Bible Unearthed: Archaeology's New Vision of Ancient Israel and the Origin of Its Sacred Texts
  • Adam, Eve, and the Serpent: Sex and Politics in Early Christianity
  • Gospel Parallels: A Comparison of the Synoptic Gospels, NRSV
  • From Jesus to Christ: The Origins of the New Testament Images of Christ
John Dominic Crossan is generally regarded as the leading historical Jesus scholar in the world. He is the author of several bestselling books, including The Historical Jesus, Jesus: A Revolutionary Biography, The Birth of Christianity, and Who Killed Jesus? He lives in Clermont, Florida.
John Dominic Crossan was born in Nenagh County in Tipperary, Ireland, in 1934. He was educated in Ireland and
More about John Dominic Crossan...
Jesus: A Revolutionary Biography God and Empire: Jesus Against Rome, Then and Now The Power of Parable: How Fiction by Jesus Became Fiction about Jesus The Birth of Christianity Who Killed Jesus?: Exposing the Roots of Anti-Semitism in the Gospel Story of the Death of Jesus