Start by marking “Storming the Castle (Fairy Tales, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Storming the Castle (Fairy Tales, #1.5)

Storming the Castle (Fairy Tales #1.5)

3.82  ·  Rating Details ·  2,902 Ratings  ·  213 Reviews
What Miss Phillipa Damson needs is a good, old fashioned knight in shining armor. What she has is a fiancé she never wanted and a compelling urge to run away. But if she manages to escape, will she find her happily ever after?
Published December 21st 2010 by HarperCollins e-books

To ask other readers questions about Storming the Castle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Storming the Castle

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

Storming the Castle was such a sweet, funny, touching, steamy, romantic story, and I’m so glad I read it! I had grown very fond of Wick in A Kiss at Midnight, and while this story was definitely too short, I was happy to see him in action again.

And just as we had in A Kiss at Midnight, we get another very strong, enjoyable heroine in Phillipa, who knew her own mind and isn't afraid to do whatever necessary to live her life on her own terms. Together, she and Wick made a very charming, sexy coupl
Laura the Highland Hussy
Dec 24, 2010 Laura the Highland Hussy rated it it was amazing
4.5 flames

*****SPOILERS*****
This was such a cute little sequel to A Kiss at Midnight. It's only about 67 pages and it's about Wick, Gabriel's brother. He's the illegitimate son of the Grand Duke, remember? Gabriel's half-brother.
Well, he finds the new nursemaid for his newborn nephew just absolutely intriguing.

Our new nursemaid Miss Phillipa is running from her fiance...but not for any reason we'd normally see. The story opens with Rodney lying flushed in the hay after he'd grabbed Phillipa and
willaful
Phillipa has a problem: she’s slept with her betrothed and knows that she never, ever wants to do it again. But he’s a future baronet and the pressure to marry him is intense. When she hears that the princess of a neighboring castle needs a nursemaid, it's the escape route she needs.

At the castle, Phillipa meets Berwick, the devilishly handsome and rather surprising majordomo of the castle. “He has lovely eyes, rather brooding, as if life wasn’t giving him what he wanted. That had to be because
Jane Stewart
May 04, 2012 Jane Stewart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency-romance
3 stars. Sweet, nice, enjoyable romance story.

STORY BRIEF:
Phillipa and Rodney had been friends since childhood. Their parents want them to marry. Phillipa does not want to marry Rodney and runs away. She loves babies and hears that the nearby Prince and his bride have a newborn baby with problems. Phillipa goes there to work as the baby’s nursemaid. She meets Wick the butler. Wick is the Prince’s half brother. He feels he can never marry a lady due to his servant-station in life.

REVIEWER’S OPIN
Keri
Nov 23, 2010 Keri rated it really liked it
This was a fun short ebook and is the story of Wick, Gabe's illegitimate half-brother from A Kiss At Midnight. This was a sweet little romance as well. Ms. Phillipa realizes that she is going to be marring a frog if she doesn't go find her prince...or at least run away from the prince of a frog.

When she hears that the local princess is having issues with her baby prince, Phillipa knows how she can escape. She hurries off to the castle to hide...errrr...to help the princeling, but man did you ge
Lisa
Dec 07, 2010 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
This was a fun, sexy short story that follows A Kiss at Midnight and gives us the yummy Wicks happily ever after. Phillipa has been betrothed to Rodney since they were children and he proclaimed his love for her, but as the story opens and they consummate their engagement...in the stables....Phillipa realizes she can not marry him. Ever. As she does not want to do that ever again! She hears how the new prince and princess are having difficulties with their new baby and runs off to help with the ...more
Chumchum_88
This is my first time reading anything by Eloisa James, the writing style was to my liking ... ect. I know I haven't read this series in order since I started with a novella but it was okay, nothing catastrophic happened ^^

I liked both Wick and Philippa, their instant attraction wasn't something new, but I liked how they found ways to be together, kissing after putting the baby to sleep, sneaking around and kissing, somehow it made feel warm-hearted, you know when you see two people so in love s
Tammy Walton Grant
I LOVE the way Eloisa James writes her 'fairy tale' historicals.

You know from the first page that it's a fairy tale you're reading. Her prose is whimsical in tone, lyrical and amusing without being trite and she spins a compelling tale.

For everyone who thought that Wick from A Kiss at Midnight deserved his own story it should almost satisfy - my only problem with these story/novella/fill-in things is that they usually are too short.

A sweet, charming story with an HEA that might put a lump in yo
Linda
Jun 25, 2014 Linda rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Phillipa needs an out from the marriage shes supposed to agree to, and on her way to freedom she comes across a castle in need of help. While there Wick catches her eye, and hes determined to keep her..
Quick listen, historical romance, smutty fluff and feelings in a great combo. Great narrator as well =)
Cathy
This was cute. I was pleasantly surprised to see that Wick had gotten his own novella, because I kind of adored him in book I. Even if this was only marginally less ridiculous than the first, I'm still glad he got his happy ever after!
Liny
Mar 19, 2017 Liny rated it really liked it
I still love all the stories that i'm reading from Eloisa James. This novella makes no exception. I really like the character of Philippa and Wick. Eventhough we don't really get why he is suddenly changing his mind at the end ;)
i would have loved to have this story a bit longer so that the characters other than Philippa could be more developped.
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
This story skips some good romance by skipping to the happily ever after and not showing us in any depth how the romance evolves. The book ends at the 67% mark with the remainder of the pages dedicated to giving readers a peek of A Kiss at Midnight, which is the book that precedes this novella.
kris
Feb 16, 2017 kris rated it liked it
Miss Phillipa Damson would like to get away. Mostly from her lout of a fiance, but also her abusive dickhead of a father and a town that thinks a 9 year old boy is 'cute' for selecting a younger girl to torment and tease for YEARS until they can be married. So she runs to the castle of a Prince and volunteers as nursemaid to the colicky baby. And meets Jonas Berwick, the Prince's bastard brother. BOOM CHICKA CHICKA, MAN.

1. This would have been MUCH more palatable without the really gross father
Jackie
1 stars

This novella tells the story of Wick’s happily ever after. Wick is a prominent character in the first book in the Fairy Tales series, A Kiss at Midnight. While I enjoyed the first book and the second book in the series I found this novella sort of disappointing. Maybe it was because of the length (98 pages), but I didn’t feel like the characters were developed at all. Wick, we know from A Kiss at Midnight, but we have no idea who Phillipa really is besides that she is a woman in an unhap
Kim
My review on the entire Fairy Tale series can be found here: http://wp.me/p18lIL-1gE

As an added bonus James wrote a novella to pair with A Kiss at Midnight entitled Storming the Castle. It revolves around Wick, Prince Gabriel's illegitimate half-brother/butler. Kate and Gabriel have just had their first child, Jonas. Jonas is unfortunately a sickly baby getting thinner and thinner which has set the castle in a tizzy. Wick has sent away for nursemaids and doctors hoping someone will be able to he
Shelby
This falls into the just alright realm. I really enjoyed the first book of the series and this started out with a lot of promise, but it loses something in the shorter format. It never quite lives up to it's potential.

Ms. Phillipa Damson is part of the gentry and all her life she's been told how lucky she is to be loved by the lord she grew up playing alongside. Only she doesn't feel lucky and no one's ever asked her if she wanted to be married to him, they just assumed that would be the case. S
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Nov 05, 2012 ♆ BookAddict ✒ La Crimson Femme rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Historical Romance Lovers
Recommended to ♆ BookAddict by: Li
Love the White Knight saving the princess? This story is for you. In Storming the Castle, I bought it so I could read about Wick. He's the bastard brother of Gabriel in the first book of this series. I like Wick and wanted to know what happened to him.

This story is more about his future bride than about him. Or should I say, the choices Phillipa makes once she is "ruined". I liked Phillipa because she was a girl who woke and decided to take control of her life. She didn't wait for a white knight
Gemma
Feb 08, 2011 Gemma rated it really liked it
This was a nice little follow on to A Kiss at midnight, but it seemed to lack something.

The story was nice and was great to see Wick get his HEA, but it could have easily been a lot beefier in story. And that's why I couldn't bring myself to give it 5 stars.

Shame really as there was a great premise and a lot of potential in doing a full novel on this. Lots of time was skipped over and one minute Phillipa was just at the castle and next she was integrated fully.

Oh well!

Now to tackle the next one
Manda Collins
Nov 25, 2010 Manda Collins rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Fairy Tales, Fans of Royalty Romance, Fans of Eloisa James, Fans of Masquerade Stories
Shelves: historical
Miss Phillippa Damson is a practical young lady who comes to the castle to offer her skills as a nursemaid to the frazzled Prince and Princess for their sickly newborn. And from the moment he sees her, Wick, the Prince's major domo, who also happens to be his brother, is taken with her. But she, like Wick, is not what she seems. A lovely, earthy, genuinely moving novella that will satisfy everyone who ended A KISS AT MIDNIGHT wishing that Gabriel's wry brother Wick could have a story of his own. ...more
Sassafrass
*2.5 stars*

This one was just ok for me. First, it was too short. I felt like Wick deserved more of a story. Second, Philippa was just no a heroine that I particularly cared for. She was too wishy-washy. I'm glad things worked out in a HEA kind of way but it just wasn't a favorite of mine. I probably will continue with the series though.
Jishi
Sep 27, 2014 Jishi rated it really liked it
Sometimes perceived obstacles are all that it seems-- it's how you see it and decide what to do about it. And it takes a certain amount of bravery to risk and overcome such problems. This novella reestablished that we make our own happy endings. Fiction makes it look easy and well worth it. Gads.
Katherine
Jan 25, 2011 Katherine rated it it was amazing
Very sweet fairly tale with a great HEA.
Ashley
Dec 13, 2015 Ashley rated it it was amazing
I needed to read something quick so that I could feel accomplished. This fulfilled that need while also being so sweet and perfect!
Loz
May 27, 2016 Loz rated it it was ok
Nice but way too short for the price, considering nearly half of it was chapters for the other books in the series.
Paige  Bookdragon
Mar 29, 2015 Paige Bookdragon rated it really liked it
description

I've finally got Wick's story. So love it.
Saffron
Jul 19, 2013 Saffron rated it really liked it
Short and sweet!
Lise Nanette
Feb 13, 2017 Lise Nanette rated it it was amazing
Wick Gets It Right!

Ms. James has written an enthrallingly good novella, that maybe because of its brevity, finds the hero finding his common sense a bit faster than is the norm in these romances. The story is a delight, and I fell a tad bit in love with the inestimable majordomo, Wick. A truly enjoyable treat!
Mary Dulaney
A fun short story- Wick (from A Kiss at Midnight) and the new nursemaid develop a deep relationship, but it is not meant to be since Wick is a *servant* and Phillipa is actually a (gasp) *lady*!

Too much is made of the difference in status since it is Wick's choice to become a servant.
Rachelle Russell
Dec 18, 2016 Rachelle Russell rated it it was amazing
Well written

This will one day be an epic fairytale for grown ups. I live the way the characters were infused from the other story line. Simply marvelous.
A Million More Pages: 1.5 - Storming the Castle (Fairy Tales): Apr 1 31 25 Apr 30, 2015 11:40AM
  • The Lady Most Willing... (Lady Most..., #2)
  • Once Upon a Winter's Eve (Spindle Cove, #1.5)
  • I Kissed an Earl (Pennyroyal Green, #4)
  • How to Woo a Reluctant Lady (Hellions of Halstead Hall, #3)
  • The Ice Princess (Princes Trilogy, #3.5)
  • And the Miss Ran Away with the Rake (Rhymes With Love, #2)
  • A Kiss For Midwinter (Brothers Sinister, #1.5)
  • The Tattooed Duke (The Writing Girls, #3)
  • The Wedding of the Century & Other Stories
New York Times bestselling author Eloisa James writes historical romances for HarperCollins Publishers. Her novels have been published to great acclaim. A reviewer from USA Today wrote of Eloisa's very first book that she "found herself devouring the book like a dieter with a Hershey bar"; later People Magazine raved that "romance writing does not get much better than this." Her novels have repeat ...more
More about Eloisa James...

Fairy Tales (5 books)
  • A Kiss at Midnight (Fairy Tales, #1)
  • When Beauty Tamed the Beast (Fairy Tales, #2)
  • The Duke Is Mine (Fairy Tales, #3)
  • The Ugly Duchess (Fairy Tales, #4)
  • Once Upon a Tower (Fairy Tales, #5)

“Gabriel actually laughed. "Luckily for Philippa, she's beautiful enought that another man will come along who has the balls to accept what she's offering.” 3 likes
“I have bought a house, but not possessedit." She was quite sure that the look in her eyes rivaled that of any light skirts on the streets of London. "And I am sold, but not yet enjoyed.” 3 likes