Start by marking “Be Thou An Example” as Want to Read:
Be Thou An Example

Be Thou An Example

4.57  ·  Rating Details  ·  224 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
In his classic work Be Thou an Example, Gordon B. Hinckley, president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, tells how we each can be an example of the believers and outlines some of the basic beliefs of the Latter-day Saints. Chapters for the book have been adapted from addresses delivered by President Hinckley in general conferences of the Church, and deal w ...more
Published July 2000 by Deseret Book Company (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Be Thou An Example, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Be Thou An Example

Amanda
Apr 13, 2009 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious-books
This was an amazing book. It was much better than Standing for Something and made me really excited about our new YM/YW theme for this year.
Seth
Apr 07, 2016 Seth rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
Not an original work, but a selection of talks President Hinckley had given. I could discern no rhyme or reason to why these talks were selected and arranged the way they were. It was also interesting to see how dated some of these talks seemed both in the anecdotes used and to a lesser extent the manner of discussing some of the principles. That being said the principles were still true, these were the words of a Prophet and Apostle, and President Hinckley talked a lot about the pioneers.
April
Mar 22, 2015 April rated it it was amazing
Great book with great stories. I miss GBH.
Natalie
Dec 04, 2009 Natalie rated it really liked it
Recommended to Natalie by: Stephen Baer
Shelves: christ-centered
This book is divided into two sections. The first, about personal character, I found absolutely inspiring. I found myself recommitting to stand strong, develop deep character and hold fast to timeless values.

The second half is entitled "What We Believe" and is dedicated to exploring the very basic principles of the gospel of Jesus Christ. I thought it was a good refresher, and would help me better explain to others, in a simple, direct manner, concepts that I have internalized, but perhaps not
Jena
Mar 10, 2008 Jena rated it it was amazing
This book, written by our late and very much beloved prophet, President Gordon B. Hinckley, and world leader, communicates wonderful insights of what we need to be to follow Jesus Christ. It makes you feel wonderful when you read it becuase of the truths that he speaks of in what our nation needs to renew good character and moral standards. I love it.
Michael
Oct 11, 2008 Michael rated it liked it
Shelves: religious
I love President Hinckley as much as any member of the church, but I think he gave his best talks later in life. While he was president of the church, it seemed like every talk he gave was an instant classic. While the talks in this book are good, most don't say anything unique enough to warrent a second reading.
Jared Gillins
Mar 05, 2014 Jared Gillins rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
There's nothing new here for those who are familiar with Mormon faith and teachings, but sometimes the repetition of familiar messages is what you need. And reading President Hinckley's words was a little like hearing an old familiar voice--comforting, a little sad, but most welcome.
Mimi
Jan 17, 2010 Mimi rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone.
Recommended to Mimi by: my husband.
The book was good.It talked about many important subjects in our lives.But the reason why it doesn't receive 5 stars is because most of these teachings i already knew about and there was repetition.But i would suggest this book to anyone who lacks motivation to read the scriptures.
Leanne
Aug 24, 2012 Leanne rated it it was amazing
President Hinckley has always had a way with words. This compilation of talks and articles from him over the years was a great read, addressing modern day issues, and shedding light on Latter-day Saint beliefs and how we should live.
Lauren
Apr 16, 2008 Lauren rated it it was amazing
How can you not love this man? He is straight-forward, yet still very loving and honest. This book really helped me to look for the good in all things and to realize that life really isn't "all about me." Good book!
Whitney
Jun 18, 2008 Whitney rated it it was amazing
This was of course a great book. Not long but very inspirational, a good reminder of stepping it up and living our lives as better examples and disciples of Christ
Janell
Apr 10, 2016 Janell rated it it was amazing
Although simply a review of things we should already know, this was very uplifting and a great reminder of those things we should already know!
Stephanie
Jan 07, 2009 Stephanie rated it really liked it
To be honest, this was a hard book for me to get into. It didn't seem to capture my attention as much as his other books do. I still liked it!
Marie
Dec 11, 2008 Marie rated it really liked it
You can't help but to feel uplifted when reading his words. You can always feel his testimony and it's so awesome to feel it!
Valorie
May 05, 2010 Valorie rated it it was amazing
Omgg(goodness gracious)this is great sunday reading. What could pres. hinkley say that wasnt worth hearing again.
Jesse
May 25, 2014 Jesse rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
Great book from a great man!

Lambzann
May 09, 2012 Lambzann rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books. I think we all need a self evaluation sometimes.
Whitney Redfern
So point on. Love President Hinckley.
Kate
Jun 03, 2010 Kate rated it it was amazing
Loved, loved, loved this book!
Roger
Jan 09, 2009 Roger rated it it was amazing
I read this when I was 16 or 17 and it really solidified everything I had learned about the Gospel. It is essentially President Hinckley's stories and testimony of the Restored Gospel. I love it to this day and recommend it to teens through adults.
Matthew
Felicia
Aug 29, 2008 Felicia rated it liked it
Good Read
Tym
Tym rated it did not like it
Aug 28, 2016
Naomi
Naomi marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Ali
Ali marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Grruser
Grruser marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Laura Martin
Laura Martin rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2016
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Hank Hoeft
Hank Hoeft rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2016
  • Things As They Really Are
  • Teachings of Presidents of the Church:  Harold B. Lee
  • Answers to Gospel Questions: The Classic Collection in One Volume
  • Pure in Heart
  • Discourses of Brigham Young: Second President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  • Counseling With Our Councils: Learning To Minister Together In The Church And In The Family
  • Finding Peace, Happiness, and Joy
  • A Witness and a Warning: A Modern-Day Prophet Testifies of the Book of Mormon
  • Because He First Loved Us
  • Endowed from on High: Understanding the Symbols of the Endowment
  • Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith
  • An Approach to the Book of Mormon (The Collected Works of Hugh Nibley, Volume 6)
President Hinckley was known, even at the age of 95, as a tireless leader who always put in a full day at the office and traveled extensively around the world to mix with Church members, now numbering nearly 13 million in 171 nations.

His quick wit and humor, combined with an eloquent style at the pulpit, made him one of the most loved of modern Church leaders. A profoundly spiritual man, he had a
More about Gordon B. Hinckley...