Fushigi Yûgi: Genbu Kaiden, Vol. 01

Fushigi Yûgi: Genbu Kaiden, Vol. 01 (Fushigi Yûgi: Genbu Kaiden #1)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  5,819 ratings  ·  49 reviews
When schoolgirl Takiko Okuda attempts to destroy her father's translation of "The Universe of the Four Gods," she is instead literally sucked into the story, becoming the Priestess of Genbu in an epic journey to find the seven Celestial Warriors!

In her first encounter, she meets the mysterious outlaw Limdo, a Celestial Warrior with a tattoo of the Chinese character for "w...more
Published June 1st 2005 by Viz Media LLC (first published 2004)

Fruits Basket, Volume 01 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 01 by Bisco HatoriSkip Beat!, Vol. 01 by Yoshiki NakamuraVampire Knight, Vol. 01 by Matsuri HinoSpecial A, Vol. 1 by Maki Minami
Favorite Shoujo Manga
39th out of 562 books — 1,152 voters
Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFruits Basket, Volume 01 by Natsuki TakayaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01 by Hiromu ArakawaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 01 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 01 by Matsuri Hino
Best Manga/Anime Book Ever
114th out of 848 books — 2,416 voters

More lists with this book...

Mary
Can I ask Goodread friends a question? Why WHY can I never accept the main guy as the love interest? I know he is but I hate the fact that I always find a minor character much better. All you read about now is some girl meets this "mysterious guy" and you instantly know they will end up liking each other..... WOW its frustrating.

I like Chamka in the manga. Yes this is MUCH better than Fushigi Yuugi with Miaka who I HATED. i loved the story but tomoe.....why? Miaka is just annoying! But then ag...more
Kat Stark
I loved this entire series. The action. The Romance. The twists. The art! Watase wins an epic trophy for graphic novels.
El Templo de las Mil Puertas
"Una saga como Fushigi Yugi nunca cae en el olvido; ni para los lectores, ni mucho menos para su autora, Yuu Watase. Por eso, después de varios años y mucha insistencia por parte de los fans, al fin podemos disfrutar de su precuela: Fushigi Yugi: Genbu Kaiden (literalmente: El juego misterioso: el origen de la leyenda de Genbu). La historia comienza en 1923. Su protagonista, Takiko Okuda, es la primera en abrir El universo de los cuatro dioses, traducido por su padre a partir de un manuscrito ch...more
Nisha
2nd Read:

Again, I love this series. I read the original FY (the 2nd manga series I read in my life) and when i heard about this, I had to read it. Frankly, I think I like it better in some ways. Takiko is a much more mature heroine and has a greater talent than being a glutton (sorry Miaka). The obvious love interest is Limdo, who happens to turn into a woman when his powers manifest. Take that for being original. Its like my love Nuriko is realized, in some fashion. Another Celestial Warrior is...more
Maria
I started this series forever ago. I think it was like in 2003. I never knew what it's about & just picked it up at my library. I was not even old enough for the rating that they gave it, but I was intrigued. I believe they only had up to volume 5 so I just stopped reading it. Somehow (thankfully) I was reminded if this story and so I began re-reading it online and oh my gods I feel in love. It's great Takiko is such a great priestess and I love her connection with all the Celestial Warriors...more
Ashley
Shweta
WOW loved this one the character development is awesome and she can fight for herself which i love and i hope tp god that there is no love triangle i would be so pissed if that happens since i absolutely hate it.

Katia
J’ai lu ce premier tome vraiment par hasard, voulant lire un manga pour me changer les idées, et je me suis régalée.

Si les dessins ne m’ont pas particulièrement plu, j’ai adoré le rythme de cette histoire, les personnages, ainsi que la mythologie qui est mise en place.

En effet on sent dans ce premier tome une mythologie très bien menée, bien construite et riche, que l’on ne manquera pas de découvrir dans les tomes suivants.

Les personnages sont attachants, j’ai beaucoup aimé Tokiko, notre héroïne...more
Kathy
Jan 28, 2010 Kathy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: shojo
Prequel to Fushigi Yugi series--Takiko is a school girl in Japan. They have moved to a small town, where her Mother is sick with tuberculosis and stays home. Her father is a professor and scholar, and he is rarely there. He went to China where he writes a translation of a secret document "The Universe of Four Gods" wherein the Priestess of Genbu brings together seven celestial warriors so that the world can continue to exist! His spirited daughter Taikiko is wisked away when she tears the book t...more
Night Fury
Jun 19, 2011 Night Fury added it
Recommends it for: everyone who thought FY #1 needed a better plot
Shelves: manga
To be honest, I began reading Genbu Kaiden before I even realized it was the prequel to The Mysterious Play. And, after reading up until about book four, I decided to read the first Fushigi Yuugi while I waited for book five to come out.
I was shocked.
The entire series starts out with two back-stabbing fifteen-year-old school girls?! It was sad to see that Miaka and Yui were too obsessed about winning Tamahome that they left their duties as priestesses slip into the background.
Ranting aside,...more
Krystal Hughes
I enjoyed the previous Fushigi Yugi series when I was younger, so when I learned about the Prequel, I had to read it as well. Let me tell you this story doesn't disappoint fans of the old series, and it allows a new group of fans to be brought in, because you don't have to read the other series to understand what's going on. Whether you are a old fan or someone new, I suggest you pick up this story, about a girl who gets trapped in a world not her own, told she's the one who can save them and al...more
Princess
This manga is hilarious. And, while I'm not a fan of hardcore action stories, this story has a very good balance of comedy, action, drama, AND plot.
Raymond Regalado
I really loved this book a lot. The storyline of young school, Takiko Okuda, gets trapped in her father's book named "The Universe of the Four". In order to get out of the book she must find the seven Celestial Warriors as becoming the Priestess of Genbu when she entered the book. So far in this volume of the series, she finds one Celestial Warrior named Limdo with six more to go. He as the special to summon wind and transform into a women. Unfortunately Takiko was taken by people trying to arre...more
Abby Ang
not bad... better than fushigi yuugi main anyway.
Kit
This is the prequel to Fushigi Yugi: The Mysterious Play (in the process of being rereleased by Viz Media). It's rare for a manga to make me this interested in the characters in the first book of the series, but I was - despite not being quite sure what was going on. The historical setting of the real-world part of the manga (early 20th-century Japan) is well-researched, and the notes are interesting. Yuu Watase is also the author of Alice 19th, and some of the same themes of belonging and famil...more
Ashley Kendall
You will love it!

I love the first series fushigi yugi and this series is just as good, maybe even better. The author is really great with myths and legends. I've read other works she's done and nothing ever disappoints. The art is great!
Dorcas
Prequel to the Fushigi Yuugi timeline, this starts out in the 1920s in Japan, and then goes into the world of the book that people who've read the original are so familiar with. Here, however, Takiko is a much spunkier female lead than Miaka from FY1. She even knows how to fight with a staff weapon, though she doesn't get many fight scenes. She also speaks out a little more. The love interest is a man who can change into a female body at will.
Athena Barbour
Absolutely love this manga! It has a great story line following the original FY series. It's hands down the best romance/ action manga story I have ever read. Yuu Watase does her best work in this series. You really appreciate a good manga when the story is good and the artwork exceptional! I can always read this again and again and never get tired of it! If you get the chance definitely check this out.
Lucia
As a HUGE fan of the Fushigi Yugi: Mysterious Play anime, I was excited to see this prequel as a manga. Volume 1 is amazing! I immediately fell in love with the story and characters. It is reminiscent enough of FY to appease fans but a unique enough story to be a stand alone. I only have the first 3 so now I need to track down the rest of the series and pray it also comes out as an anime!!!!
Liz
Jul 17, 2012 Liz added it
hmm imo, much better than the original Fushigi Yugi! Its got better art (Yuu Watase has definitely improved and become MUCH more consistant in her art) and an incredible story line with some weird cross-dressing which apparently every manga these days needs to be popular. However, I'm much more convinced by the relationship between these guys than between Miaka and Tamahome.
Ariana Deralte
I'd heard that this manga was miles above the shoujo drivel that is Fushigi Yugi, and it's funny cause it's true. I like the main character a lot more. She has spirit, character, and oddly enough, is a lot more modern than Miaka despite coming from a time decades before her. Add in the usual pretty guys, and gender bending built into the plot and so far I'm very entertained.
Xae
As far as shoujo manga goes, this is a high for me. If you are an FY fan, this is a wonderful way to return to the Universe of the Four Gods. I went into this knowing from the beginning how it was likely going to end, but I was still bawling my eyes out when I got to the last chapter of the series. If you like the FY formula, give this one a go.
MoonTea
Circumstances have lead me to this. Not really by choice. *blast the library's generous system*

So I'm reading about 4 series right now...this is cute at least, and I like the main character, which is a rarity ^-^'. Makes good Bath Time reading. I liked what little I've read of her Ceres series as well.
Patrice
When I was first watching Fushigi Yugi, Takiko and Suzune's stories (mostly Takiko) were more interesting to me. It seems more mature and serious than the original series and I really like the historical fiction component. I look forward to learning more about Takiko and Suzune and their celestial warriors.
Julie
Having watched the whole Fushigi Yuugi anime and read part of the manga, I have to say that I feel this spinoff series quickly fell Watase Yuu's pattern of love triangles, etc... but I did enjoy the book.
Jenna
Just finished this series. It felt rather rushed at the end but I enjoyed the prequel. I did prefer the original FY cast but this was still entertaining and well done, as all of Yuu Watase's work.
Kelley
May 25, 2012 Kelley added it
This was a great sieres i am currently reading the 4th one. I got sucked in to the first one and couldnt stop reading i love this book and other anime books like this one.
Jessica
alot of wonderful storys in one book, when your pulled into the story as a main cha.

great book.

sad but already now what happens when the First Fushigi Yûgi..
Nicole
Another one of the four priestesses. Throw in a love interest who can swtich from male to female...hmm just thinking of it now is really weird for me.
Treasure
A great female-heroine adventure/fantasy tale with a little bit of romance, humor, and family angst thrown in. I love how strong the main female character is!
Can I write a book based on a manga? 4 9 Jun 14, 2013 01:31AM
  • Her Majesty's Dog, Volume 1
  • Tail of the Moon, Volume 1
  • From Far Away, Vol. 1
  • MeruPuri, Vol. 03 (MeruPuri, #3)
  • Red River, Vol. 1 (Red River, #1)
  • InuYasha Ani-Manga, Vol. 1 (Inuyasha Ani-Manga, #1)
  • Tenshi Ja Nai!! (I'm No Angel), Vol. 1 (Tenshi Ja Nai, #1)
  • Kyo Kara MAOH!, Volume 01
  • W Juliet, Vol. 1
  • Backstage Prince, Vol. 1 (Backstage Prince, #1)
  • Love Attack, Volume 1
  • Millennium Snow, Vol. 1
  • Basara, Vol. 1
  • Vampire Game, Volume 01
  • Yurara, Vol. 1
  • Aishiteruze Baby, Vol. 01
  • Ai Hime ~ Ai to Himegoto, Vol. 01
  • Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne, Vol. 01
A Japanse shoujo manga-ka. She is known for her works Fushigi Yūgi, Alice 19th, Ceres: The Celestial Legend, Fushigi Yūgi Genbu Kaiden and Absolute Boyfriend. She likes all music, except heavy metal and old traditional music.

She received the Shogakukan Manga Award for shōjo for Ceres, Celestial Legend in 1997. Since writing her debut short story "Pajama de Ojama" ("An Intrusion in Pajamas"), Wata...more
More about Yuu Watase...
Absolute Boyfriend, Vol. 01 Fushigi Yûgi: The Mysterious Play, Vol. 01: Priestess Alice 19th, Vol. 01: Lotis Master Ceres, Celestial Legend: Aya (Ceres, Celestial Legend #1) Imadoki!: Nowadays, Vol. 01: Dandelion