Ransom (Steel, Danielle)

Ransom (Steel, Danielle)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  2,540 ratings  ·  71 reviews
A violent crime brings together four lives in Danielle Steel's sixtieth bestselling novel, the story of a mother's courage, a family's terror, and a triumph of human strength and dignity in the face of overwhelming odds.

Outside the gates of a California prison, Peter Morgan is released after four long years and vows to redeem himself in the eyes of the young daughters he l...more
Published February 24th 2004 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about Ransom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ransom

Annabel Rose
I bought this book in a second hand shop, on holiday, after finding another brilliant book by the same author on the 'leave a book you liked' shelf in our hired cottage. I was rather disappointed- I spent years trying to read the book, and failing after a few chapters, primarily because there were, in my eyes, too many similar characters, and I was having difficulty in differentiating between them...
Not so long ago, I decided it was time I defeated the book. I settled myself down, determined to...more
Kelly Smith
Feb 03, 2014 Kelly Smith rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone looking for intensity and love
Recommended to Kelly by: No one. I bought it 3 days after buying "Miracle," also by Steel.
** SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW!!! **

Within three days last August, I had grown interested in and bought two Danielle Steel books: this one and "Miracle." After finishing "Miracle," which I will discuss in my review of that book, I moved onto this one.

I became somewhat interested through the first several chapters, but what really hooked me was Peter's dilemma to either hold one of Fernanda's children for ransom or risk his own children dying. That was when things really started to get interesting....more
Kristi Vu
This is actually one of my favorite books I have read from Danielle Steel...It is more complex than most of her books and you have to pay more attention at first to get how all the different characters tie together. It's a true book of love, redemption and sacrifice. I really liked this one.
Darcia Scates
Ransom is one of Danielle Steel's better works. It's almost as if she has an alleged ghostwriter, the ghost writer was Sidney Sheldon's distant relative. The last part held my attention. The ending was infused with Danielle's Steel's romantic touch. This is worth taking the time to read.
Michelle Bacon
Not really a big fan of Danielle Steel's work, but some feel the need to get her books for me to read. This book is no exception. It lacked any kind of suspense and you pretty much knew what was going to happen before it did. Big disappointment.
Christine
The last of the Danielle Steele left from my MIL's house!

Although I don't care for her style of writing, the story behind it was engaging.
BaiLing
Read an English copy.
Wondering~~Is it soooooooooooo easy to become a "best seller writer"?
The first and the last book from this author.
Debbie
In many ways this is a typical Danielle Steel book, but in others it's a bit different. I enjoyed it overall, and was anxious to see how the story would unfold. The last 100 or so pages had me so riveted that I ended up staying awake until nearly 6 am to finish it.

The negatives: Ms. Steel has a really annoying habit of repeating herself, over and over. I find it to be insulting to the intelligence of the reader. Often she repeats almost the same exact sentence within the same paragraph. It reall...more
Jamie Casey
This is another good read by Danielle Steel.

Fernanda is a stronger woman that most. She loses her husband to a believed suicide, just after he makes and proceeds to lose billions of dollars. They story tells of Fernanda and her children's journey once Allen is gone. What will they do? To make matters worse, 4 jail birds and one sadistic bastard decide to kidnap one or all of her kids believing she's still got all of the lost money. Throughout the ordeal, she learns to trust and depend on a poli...more
Elisa
When I first started this book, I stopped reading it on the 2nd page. It seemed boring to me, and since I had one of the older versions of the novel, the cover wasn't very interesting to me either. But when I decided to give it a 2nd chance, I got more into it, and it turned out to be a great book! So just a warning, don't be fooled by the boring looking cover (if you have an older version) and the beginning may seem kind of boring, but once you get more into it, its a great story. Also in the s...more
Sean
was amazing book had me in lots of emotional rides..poor sam being pulled away and even though peter morgan was a bad guy I felt like I was close to him mainly because he didnt go along fully with the plan and showed his emotions...despite being a criminal lol.
Susan Saylor
Good book, different Danielle Steele style. Once you sort through the character's it pulls you in and you never know what is around the corner. Still the bit of romance.
Cindy Barnett
Reader, Ron McLarty, does a fine job. Detectives lose their own to save a kidnapped child. one loses his marriage. Long read, perhaps, overlong.
©2006
Carol
Quite laboured and repetitive text. I was hoping for a twist at the end but, unfortunately, it was so predictable.
Omar El-Shamy
أشعر بمتعة عندما أقرأ روايات دانيال ستيل
روايات سلسلة تعيش مع الأبطال
تفرح..نحزن..تتفاعل في مواقفهم.
رواية أخري رائعة لدانيال
Janelle Jansson
Another must read from Danielle Steel!
Susan
I used to read so many of her books that looking at her list only a few truly jump out at me. One Chritmas when I was a senior in high school my mom bought 10 of her books and wrapped them in a box and I was thrilled. I never really pick up any of her books any longer. If the content would ever change maybe I would. Who knows it's been years since I read anything from her maybe it has changed. Time to find out.
Whitney
This was my first glimpse into Danielle Steel..and then I became hooked! I quickly got into my 2nd novel...Family ties. and Now I'm almost finished with my 3d, Sisters. She has a very keen way of building the characters up in the beginning and then throwing a big wrench into the picture; a disaster that changes everything.
Tita Cusipag
Loyalty and love of family! Inspiring!
Dawn
Halfway decent book, for the "queen of chick lit." The story was somewhat predictable but I liked the characters well enough, and it wasn't her traditional sort of love story. I would have given it 3.5 stars, had that been an option. It wasn't what I would consider worthy of 4, by my rating scale though.
Stasha
This Danielle Steel was a bit different. Yes, there was the nice little romance in the end, but I like the fact that with this book, there was a rather different approach. Personally, I thought the actual kidnapping was a bit off, but the rest of the story appeared to have flown well.
Sherlyn Yap
The building-up of the story took too long and almost extinguish my desire to read on, until the kidnapping action started, where I pick up interests again. The details of the process and how some emotions displayed by the characters were too descriptive and empathizing.
Tara
I really enjoyed this book about a very powerful woman in the magazine industry who falls in love and does things that are not the normal for her and ends up getting hurt. She gives up everything, moves away and ends up getting what she's looked for all along!
Karen Patterson
I picked this up in a used bookstore and I'm so glad I didn't pay any more than I did. Steel's books have become so formulaic that it feels like reading the same story over and over with different names and different locations. I think I'm done with Danielle Steel.
Jennie
Man... this book took me SO long to finish. I don't know if its cause its summer or this was not at all like other DS books. It wasn't crammed full of romance and love. It did have a good story behind it, but when I read DS I expect lots of love :)
Kris
It started out slow for me. Too many characters at once, but I kept reading and about 1/3 of the way thru, the story started to pick up. I was hooked after that. Couln't wait to see what happens to the little boy and his mother.
Jacob Lasher
I really like this author, so I was disappointed with this book. I just wanted it end.
I still want to read more of Danielle Steel's books. Her writing style is unique. I just don't think that this story was meant for me to read.
Carrie
Started this to have to read "at work"...shhhh!! It's hard to hide a hardback under a stack of office papers but a paperback is easy!! Not the greatest but it's "ok". Kinda predictable, but Steele usually is.
Bad book 3 15 Feb 16, 2014 04:17AM
Danielle Steel Bo...: Ransom 1 3 Nov 20, 2012 08:55PM
  • A Sudden Change of Heart
  • Blessings
  • Spade & Archer: The Prequel to Dashiell Hammett's The Maltese Falcon
  • The Captive (Harlequin Blaze, #534)
  • Guilty Pleasures
  • Texas Sunrise (Texas, #4)
  • American Star
  • Rock My World (The Wrong Bed) (Harlequin Blaze #215)
  • Scruples Two: Fifteen Years Later
  • Bundle of Trouble (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #1)
  • Whitehorse
  • Suddenly
  • The Bride's Awakening (Modern Romance)
  • Mother, Please!
  • Hot Rain
  • Family Blessings
  • L.A. Noir
Since 1981, Ms. Steel has been a permanent fixture on the New York Times hardcover and paperback bestseller lists. In 1989, she was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for having at least one of her books on the Times bestseller list for 381 consecutive weeks. But Guinness was premature. The fact is that one or more of Ms. Steel's novels have been on the New York Times bestseller list for...more
More about Danielle Steel...
Safe Harbour Sisters The Gift Kaleidoscope Fine Things