Start by marking “Miss Dimple Disappears” as Want to Read:
Miss Dimple Disappears

Miss Dimple Disappears (Miss Dimple Kilpatrick #1)

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  312 ratings  ·  72 reviews
Published November 23rd 2010 by Minotaur Books (first published 2010)

Terri Lynn
I read the most recent book in this series first Miss Dimple Picks a Peck of Trouble and am now trying to play catch up. I liked this one even better than that one! This series is set during World War 2 in a small North Georgia town where everyone knows everyone else and Miss Dimple has taught first grade for years.

I especially like the interactions among the women in this town. They remind me a lot of the women in the small town my grandparents lived in who were always so supportive and nosy an
Pat
It’s 1942, almost a year since the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, and the residents of the small town of Elderberry, Georgia, have been rattled down to their worn, rationed shoes. For young teacher Charlie Carr, life and love aren’t going exactly as planned—her head dictates loyalty to the handsome corpsman, Hugh, but whenever she thinks of her best friend’s beau, Will, her heart does the Jersey Bounce. Charlie is doubly troubled by the disappearance of beloved schoolmistress Miss Dimple Kilpatri ...more
Pauli
Quick and fun read. I liked the characters and want to remember to read more of this series. It's not as intense as some of the WWII mysteries I've read.
Lisa
Aug 25, 2010 Lisa rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cozy mystery lovers
Recommended to Lisa by: Dawn Dowdle
Shelves: mysteries
I loved the Augusta Goodnight series, this is new.

Miss Dimple Disappears
Mignon Ballard
c. Dec 2010
Minotaur
ISBN 9780312614744
Hardcover $23.95

Mignon Ballard, author the delightful Augusta Goodnight series, sets off on a different tack with her new mystery series set in Georgia during WWII.

Told in 1940 charm, spies are everywhere and Elderberry’s grade school boys are on the case – or at least one in particular. Willie Elrod is convinced he saw his former first grade teacher, Miss Dimple Kilpatrick,
Julia
It's hard to believe that Mignon Ballard is an established author. This book struck me more as someone's attempt at a first novel.

The outline is good: The book is set in a small town in the United States during World War II. When first grade teacher Dimple Kilpatrick goes missing and the police department doesn't seem to be doing enough, two of the other teachers take on the search.

Unfortunately, the book jumps around without a clear viewpoint character. A lot of characters were named, but I fo
Stitchywoman
Along the lines of a cozy mystery. I did get the sense of what it was like to live during the war with rationing and air raid drills, making do or doing without. I also found Miss Dimple interesting, if perhaps a little ahead of her time. I liked the fact that she was not a wilting flower but also wasn't bold beyond reason. The mystery kept me guessing although I was able to piece some of it together. I look forward to reading the next book in the series.
Melissa
Great quick read mystery book. The characters are friendly-set in a small town during WW2.

"It's 1942, almost a year since the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, and the residents of the small town of Elderberry, Georgia, have been rattled down to their worn, rationed shoes. For young teacher Charlie Carr, life and love aren’t going exactly as planned—her head dictates loyalty to the handsome corpsman, Hugh, but whenever she thinks of her best friend’s beau, Will, her heart does the Jersey Bounce. Cha
Courtney
I had hoped that this would be similar to the Maisie Dobbs series, but it wasn't. This was a cozy mystery, which isn't really my genre. It was all right, set in the 1940s in a very small town, as the characters all try to figure out why beloved first grade teacher, Miss Dimple, vanishes.
Ann aka Iftcan
WWII era cozy mystery. The Miss Dimple of the title is a first grade teacher of "a certain age" who lives in a small NC town. There is a quirky cast of characters, the usual tension among the characters who have sons/lovers/grandsons/husbands away fighting in Europe or the Pacific.
Carol
I picked this up by mistake thinking it as another series I read. Oh well! It was a good story set in WWII in a small Georgia town, the problem is there is to little excitement through out the book - it's all packed into the last 20 pages so it was a little slow.
Susan
Charlie Carr is teaching school in her hometown of Elderberry, GA. She'd like to be contributing more to teh war effort, but with her sister away and her brother overseas, it's left to Charlie to keep her mother going. Still , there's plenty of fun to be had on the home front until beloved first grade teacher Miss Dimple Kilpatrick disappears. No one in the boarding house where she's lived for so long knows where she's gone, but readers are aware she's been kidnapped. Charlie and her friend Anni ...more
Debbie
A pleasant story about small town Georgia during WWII. Sixty some year old Miss Dimple, Elderberry Elementary's long time first grade teacher disappears. What follows is no one person looking for her. The main character of the series, if it is to be a series, is another first year teacher at the school who had Miss Dimple herself in first grade. She wonders about Miss Dimple's disappearance but doesn't do anything about it until the end of the book. Mostly she thinks about her boyfriend and her ...more
Bev Monson
This was a charming book that I was a little sad to see end. The mystery was low-impact, but the development of the characters and the book's nostalgic look into its time in history (WWII) was what I found appealling. The pace is relaxed, and it took me a few chapters to get into the story, but by the end I was looking forward to what was going to happen next. In fact, as it ends, there are a few strings left undone, which made me check to see if there is another installment to the story coming. ...more
Donna Brown
An old time mystery where people had to figure out the clues. I enjoyed it and will send to my mother (who only gets books I know she will read.)
The Library Lady
Frankly I wouldn't have been unhappy if Miss Dimple hadn't reappeared. She is a prototypical spunky-old-maid-schoolteacher-with-endearing-eccentricties. Only I didn't find her endearing, but downright annoying.

What drew me into this book were the rest of the townsfolk struggling on the home front during WWII. They are reminiscent of characters in Fannie Flagg's books, and that is what kept me reading this and reading the sequel. I'm just putting up with Miss Dimple the way the townsfolk put up w
Jane
Miss Dimple Disappears, the first book in a series by Mignon F. Ballard, is a gentle and enjoyable read set in Georgia during World War II. The author does a good job of capturing the times and introducing us to a wide cast of quirky, plucky, and secretive characters. The mystery is not the point here; the relationships are.

My one complaint about this book is the jacket. There is a spoiler about something that doesn't happen until page 193 of a 262 page book! So if you like a quiet cozy mystery
Beth
Sort of War World Two comes to Mayberry but with slightly more twists. I'll give the series a chance.
Sue
Everyone’s favorite first grade teacher Dimple Kilpatrick vanishes while out for a morning walk. The entire town of Elderberry, Georgia gets involved in the search for her. Ten year-old Willie Elrod is sure that Nazi spies have kidnapped her. Her colleagues Charlie and Annie think that Willie has a vivid imagination – but it is 1942 and Miss Dimple is missing, so they track down clues as well. This is a charming story filled with mystery, romance, and a real feel for life on the home front durin ...more
Janet McCord
As a new series to me, this was a real delight. Set in a small town in Georgia during the early years of WWII it is full of characters...and real characters! Even though "nothing ever happens in Elderberry" this first story is full of murder, kidnappings and enemy spies who plan sabotage! Of course the heroine, Miss Dimple, long-time first grade teacher is the one kidnapped but she remains redoubtable and unflappable in the face of danger. The other townspeople we are introduced to are interesti ...more
J M
Hooked on this series. most enjoyble
Sandy
The world is at war and in the small town of Elderberry, GA the local first grade teacher, Miss Dimple, disappears. Two other teachers at the school, Annie & Charlie, find themselves attempting an investigation of their own while the local police appear to sit on their thumbs.

I enjoyed this trip through small town America during WWII. The young women deal with beaux, war brides and rationing. There is a motley crew of characters that I look forward to learning more about as the series progre
Diane Heath
This is the first of the Miss Dimple stories. The setting is small town Ga after Pearl Harbor. Miss Dimple has disappeared. Willie saw her taken by spies. No one believes him as he is an imaginative child. Who abducted her and why? Will she survive?
Jackie
In a small Georgia town during WWII a teacher who has taught 1st grade for forty years disappears a day after the school custodian is found dead in the school's storage room. As the innocent folks in the town try to unravel this mystery and care for their men being sent overseas, mysteries about Miss Dimple and other townfolk play out. Light reading for a winter afternoon.
Lisa
Lovely cozy mystery set in early 1940's Georgia. Good writing, characters I cared about, WWII background carefully rendered. Ended to let readers know it's going to be a series. There are times when I need a good cozy mystery; this was one of those times. Looking forward to following these characters' lives as the war continues and another mystery ensues in Eldersberry, GA.
Kari
I'm glad there wasn't anything hot in this one, just a mystery, although not too intense, and some lighter personal stuff. But the atmosphere reminded me of Foyle's War; darker and sadder. I'm sure there's a reason things in this period are written that way, but it's different from the kid's stories I read about WWII when I was little.
Carol
This was a fun book, although a mystery wa the underling story.

Charlie and her best friend Annie teach school at a small town in Georgia. After a fellow teacher goes missing they begin to slueth around. The war is affecting all and Charlie's brother is in the middle of it. Annie's brother is heading off too.
Gwen
I must admit, I picked up this book for the cover and the time period the story was set, 1942. But as a mystery, there wasn't much to it and I probably won't look for another by this author. Still, it was enjoyable light and quick and did give a view into the life of a few women while the men were off at war.
Ann
Miss Dimple has taught first grade for 40 years in her small town in Georgia, so there is much concern when she disappears. Set during WWII, Ballard has created a leisurely story with vivid characters and lots of small details about everyday life. Looking forward to another visit to small town Georgia.
Jul 15, 2012 Carol marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This hardcover book came to me with one other via a Stop! You're Killing Me website giveaway, and the books were provided by publicists at Minotaur Books/St. Martin's Press. Now I have started clearing the decks for summer reading, yes I know - late, I shall soon be able to review both of the books.
Wendy
Glad to have discovered this series. Ballard's descriptions of the personal impact of WW II as young men left their homes to travel off to war were particularly poignant to me as they recalled my mother's stories about watching most of the boys in her graduating class do the same.
  • Gone West (Daisy Dalrymple, #20)
  • The Darling Dahlias and the Cucumber Tree (The Darling Dahlias #1)
  • Dying In the Wool (Kate Shackleton, #1)
  • Buried Stuff (Jane Wheel, #4)
  • Face Down in the Marrow-Bone Pie (Susanna, Lady Appleton, #1)
  • Murder on the Lusitania (George Porter Dillman & Genevieve Masefield, #1)
  • Citizen Insane (Barbara Marr Murder Mystery #2)
  • Aunt Dimity and the Lost Prince (An Aunt Dimity Mystery, #18)
  • Not a Creature was Stirring (Gregor Demarkian, #1)
  • The Withdrawing Room (Kelling & Bittersohn, #2)
  • Heirs and Graces (Her Royal Spyness Mysteries, #7)
  • Anything Goes (Grace & Favor, #1)
  • A Lack of Temperance (Hattie Davish Mystery, #1)
  • Buzz Off (Queen Bee, #1)
  • Pillow Stalk (Mad for Mod Mystery #1)
  • Double Shot (Cue Ball Mysteries, #2)
  • Death on a Silver Tray (Beau Brummell, #1)
  • The Gilded Shroud (A Lady Fan Mystery #1)
Mignon Franklin Ballard grew up in a small town in Georgia, and now lives in Fort Mill, South Carolina.
More about Mignon F. Ballard...
Angel at Troublesome Creek (Augusta Goodnight #1) Miss Dimple Rallies to the Cause (Miss Dimple Kilpatrick #2) An Angel to Die For (An Augusta Goodnight Mystery) Shadow of an Angel (An Augusta Goodnight Mystery) Hark! The Herald Angel Screamed (An Augusta Goodnight Mystery)