Start by marking “Held” as Want to Read:
Held

Held

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  717 Ratings  ·  115 Reviews
Seventeen-year-old Chloe’s summer vacation in Greece comes to an abrupt end when she is suddenly bound, gagged and whisked away to an unidentified location. Waking up from a drug-induced sleep, she finds herself in a squalid warehouse. Chloe can only imagine the worst. After several days of total isolation and utter despair, Chloe faces a new threat when her kidnapper appe ...more
Published February 1st 2011 by Annick Press (first published January 6th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Held, please sign up.

Cesca I emailed Ms. Ravel after reading one of the reviews here stating that a movie is in the works and also a possible sequel. This was her reply:

thank…more

thank you, Anna, for your enthusiasm :) Yes, there will be a film version (possibly a tv series though nothing is certain yet) based on Held and I will hold off with the sequel until then.... but I can promise you that Chloe and the hostage-taker will meet again....

all the very best!
Edeet

This was about a year ago and I haven't seen anything launched yet. Someone should email her and update us!!!(less)

Beth
Dec 31, 2013 Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: favorites

= Best book Ever!

As my Goodreads friends know I love a dark read, in fact the darker the better and in a way I think I expected this to be just that sort of book but it wasn't.

It was so much more than that.

I can never explain why but from the moment I picked up this book and began to read the prologue I was hooked and its not an intense gripping story, your even told the outcome at the start. But for me it was just one of those books that I'm so glad I read, I loved the story, loved the charact
Giselle
Apr 13, 2011 Giselle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
I was fortunate to have won this book in a Goodreads' First Reads giveaway (many thanks!!!), but I would have gladly paid for it as it's a wonderful book.

Chloe, a 17 year old, gets abducted during her vacation in Greece. In her mind she expects the worse: they are terrorists and she will be raped and killed, maybe tortured. So it came to a big surprise when she is very well treated with gourmet meals and everything she needs during her confinement. Consequently, she soon starts to fall for her a
Atalyonet
Jan 29, 2013 Atalyonet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*** SPOLIERS ****

I finished this book 5 hours after I started it - I could not put it down. it is wonderfully written. However, I felt somewhat uneased regarding the ending.

Chloe is a 17 YO girl kidnapped during a summer vacation in Greece, and held as prisoner by an unknown organization, and specfically, an engimatic hostage taker who we learn quite little about other than the fact that he is young, unarmed, bright, doesn't smile and is short in words. throughout her ordeal, Chloe suffers the e
Apr 21, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is perfect for fans of Stolen by Lucy Christopher. I loved that book and I'm always looking for similar reads so I was very happy when Giselle @ Xpresso Reads recommended this book to me. I knew I had to give it a try and it was exactly what I was looking for! Seventeen year old Chloe is vacationing in Greece when she is grabbed and taken to a warehouse. She believes the worse, murder, sex slavery, or torture and is surprised when her hostage-taker continues to tell her no harm will co ...more
Christine The Dark Romance Junkie *Principessa*
Really enjoyable read, I personally felt that this was not a romance. It was quite predictable which I didn't mind, the only bad thing about it was the ending, it was very abrupt if there is a second book I will definitely read it. I need closure.
Robin
I appreciate that the author is depicting a situation not often seen in young adult lit., and that she is trying to do so in a full and thoughtful way. And, I feel so bad saying this, but I just found the central character and the whole story whiny and kind of annoying. And repetitious. We get it! Stockholm syndrome. Yeah.

I am also heartily creeped out by how many goodreads readers were charmed by this "love" story and were hoping Chloe and her hostage-taker would find a way to be together. (Ple
Lulufrances
Apr 23, 2015 Lulufrances rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stockholm Syndrome?
Count me in - sounds like a book that is absolutely disturbing and intense.
And basically that's what sums up Held.
Ever since watching a German rom-com ("Entführ mich Liebling" for those that are interested) I've been unsettled and intrigued by the psychological case called Stockholm Syndrome where the captive falls in "love" with her captor.
Stolen by Lucy Cristopher just enhanced that even more, a beautiful read, just saying!

Edeet Ravel has a fantastic way of writing this type
Jess
4.5 stars.
SPOILERS CONTAINED IN THIS REVIEW
I really, really liked Held. It was another book that I picked at random from my eReader without reading the synopsis or any reviews. It had me hooked from the very first page, and at times it really, thoroughly disturbed me.
Every emotion that Chloe went through, I experienced too. When she was afraid when she was locked up alone, experiencing hallucinations (which was done very effectively) I was too. When she was claustrophobic when locked up in the
The Ruler
I can't even begin to figure out what I just read. I was almost completely convinced that this book was the author's idea of a joke until I came across the occasional failed attempts at philosophy that convinced me otherwise. The 3 stars rating is based more on my enjoyment of the book as a whole rather than character development or plot-pacing.

Some parts in the book just called for ridicule and I wasn't quite sure what to make of our seemingly dim protagonist:

- "I saw a movie bout Patty Hearst
Kelly
The voice is there, but it's not necessarily believable. This is an example of too much tell and no show, and throughout the book, the Stockholm Syndrome is handled poorly because it's tell-tell-tell. The captor continues telling Chloe she's experiencing it.

Chloe herself isn't really developed, and lot of her episodes are classic Stockholm, but they're taken almost to an unintentionally funny degree. There's no explanation for anything but that, and it's almost like the joke is on the reader th
Lettersalad
Jul 12, 2013 Lettersalad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: auf-deutsch
Für Chloe sollte es der schönste Sommer ihres Lebens werden: Ein Ferienjob in Griechenland zusammen mit ihrer besten Freundin Angie. Doch das Ende dieses Abenteuers hatte die 17-Jährige sich gewiss anders vorgestellt.
Zuerst gerät sie mit Angie in einen Streit, dann wird sie von wildfremden Männern in ein Auto gezerrt und verschleppt. Für Chloe beginnt ein Alptraum. Sie weiß nicht wo sie ist, wer ihre Entführer sind und warum sie gerade ihr das alles antun. Sind sie Terroristen oder durch andere
Juliana
Jun 16, 2013 Juliana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
justablondemoment
I enjoyed reading this book and found it to be well written. The only thing that I didn't like was the ending which was too abrupt. It left me wondering with many questions. I liked the way the author made this book have a "real" feel to it. Furthermore, I found the whole Stockholm syndrome, very interesting. I have to wonder though, if I was confused as an adult, how confused a "young adult" would be reading this. Spending the time to give a clearer ending would have made this book much better.
Kairi
“Some stories are too sad to bear.”
“But have you noticed only other people’s stories? Because ours are just the things that happen to us.”

Holy mother of hell what a mindfuck! God how I hate that!! (who am I kidding I LOVE that, although yeah, it kinda sucks too, but then again it’s AWESOME. Ok I might be a little at war with myself here, but whatever).

So this book was really, really, really about Stockholm Syndrome more than anything else. And it's made very clear. The plot revolves around it
Belle Aurora
Aug 29, 2013 Belle Aurora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A perfect case of Stockholm Syndrome. I really enjoyed this book. It had me from the second chapter and I was sucked in until the book finished.
This book could've been a five star for me but I really did not like the ending. It finished so abruptly that I was left with my mouth hanging.
I WANT TO KNOW MORE! Darn it to heck!
Great job, Edeet. You really did a number on me!
AJ
Jul 29, 2011 AJ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
An amazing story. Like other Goodreads reviewers, I found myself entirely wrapped up in Chloe's world, only to get to the end of the book and wonder exactly what it was that I just read. I don't normally like books that keep you guessing, but this ending really works.

Very well written and an easy, but exciting, read when you have a few hours to spare.
Sadie
Jul 19, 2015 Sadie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
4.5 stars. Very good, read it in one sitting but I am desperate for a continuation of this story. Fingers and toes crossed!
♔Beth♔ XoXo
The ending ................. WHAT THE FUCK.............. What happens next ............will they meet again ? ..........
Michael (Mai)
Nov 04, 2012 Michael (Mai) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stand-alone
Man, what a good read. I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed this. I’m not normally into such realist fiction when it could potentially house some really awful things inside it’s pages. When there is kidnapping and potential terrorism then who knows what else it could hold, right?

Its a really interesting look into one girls experience with kidnapping, mental instability, Stockholm Syndrome, and first love. First love = stockholm syndrome. It’s crazy all the emotions you feel for Chloe. At
Carla
Aug 21, 2014 Carla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alright, I still don't know what to think about it... Did I like it? Yeah... I kind of did. But it certainly wasn't one of my favorite books about this subject matter. I missed something here, however, it was good book and very well written.

As we can see in the burb, this book is about Stockholm syndrome, and the author created a story where she followed every step of it. We get to see everything!

And speaking for myself, I didn't lost myself in the romance as I did in other books with the same
Monica&spikey
Aug 03, 2013 Monica&spikey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow.

Alright, to be fair, I think a normal person would've fallen in love with him. We can't chalk it all up to Stockholms Syndrome, seeing as this man was THE. NICEST. FUCKING. KIDNAPPER. EVER. I"m pretty sure, most kidnappers are not that nice. But then again, all I know about kidnapping comes from watching Criminal Minds and Taken, and those shows may just be an exaggeration of the reality. Nice kidnappers mat, in fact, be the norm.

Still, this was an amazing book. The writing reminded me of th
Stacy
Sep 01, 2011 Stacy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hmmm. I'm perplexed. Did I like it? Well, aside from the PG-13ness of a few parts, as I contemplate how I want to review this, then I guess I would say I have 2 options: either I like it or I dislike it, right? So, then if Chloe was suffering from Stockholm Syndrome, then that would mean that her abducter (-er, or -or?) had masterfully manipulated her, brainwashed her and perfectly portrayed himself to be interesting and interested in her and thereby was able to get away with everything without ...more
Saio
Aug 20, 2014 Saio rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, I'm like crying because there needs to be a second book the ending just left me wondering, honestly I still have a million question ....

Best read of the summer for sure! After reading " Stolen and Pretty girl -13 " I became completely obsessed with dark reads such as this and I am soo glad I looked for books with similar story lines because I LOVE LOVE LOVED this book & probably going to read it in a few days like Stolen , it was just that good.
Victoria Waddle
Jun 19, 2015 Victoria Waddle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chloe Mills is living every high school student’s dream. She’s in Greece with her best friend in a summer volunteer program. She and Angie rarely argue, but after a disagreement with Angie, Chloe decides to do some sightseeing by herself. She’s grabbed, thrown in a van, blindfolded, and drugged. Later, she’s taken on a plane. Yes, she’s been kidnapped and has no idea what country she is now in.

Chloe’s fear is both rational and irrational--to avoid a spoiler, I’ll just say that she sometimes has
Good books never end
MEINUNG

Dieses Buch hat mich aufgrund seiner besonderen Thematik interessiert. Ein Mädchen, das am Stockholm-Syndrom leidet, obwohl "leidet" ja doch das falsche Wort dafür ist. Denn bei diesem Syndrom entwickelt die Geisel ein positives emotionales Gefühl für ihren Entführer. Mir war klar, dass die Umsetzung dieses Themas nicht einfach ist, deshalb waren meine Erwartungen an die 320-seitige Geschichte von Anfang an nicht sehr hoch.

Ravel gibt die Entführungsgeschichte von Chloe in Tagebuchform wie
Margaret Kathryn
I was really hoping that this wouldn't be another Stolen by Lucy Christopher. Unfortunately, it's pretty much Stolen by Lucy Christopher in slightly different makeup.

(view spoiler)
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
A friend recommended me this. What to say about this book. The writing, the pacing even the pictures now and then add to the atmosphere and tone of the book. Makes you wonder near the end, if there will be a sequel or if its better left without one. A short but quick and interesting read.
Felicia
Mar 22, 2014 Felicia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! She has sold the movie rights and is currently waiting on the script. She will write a squeal based off the movie :)
Antonia
Mar 29, 2015 Antonia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
CHARACTERS: 10/10
STORY: 9/10
SUSPENSE: 10/10
ROMANCE: 10/10

yes, it sounds sick, but there is a weird, twisted kind of romance and I did enjoy it.
EMOTION: 9/10

Overall ranking: 4,8 stars (48/50)

Me while reading this book...

... and also:

At the same time knowing:

But then I reached the final pages ...

... and directly after having finished it:

!!!

'Held' is about a girl who falls in love with her kidnapper. And while she is falling in love with him, I fell in love with him as well. It felt as if I was de
Dani
Sep 09, 2014 Dani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Drawn to Stories with Abusive Relationships
This story sucked me right in. The Psychology behind Stockholm Syndrome is fascinating and even though we aren't in the same situation as Chloe we too are buying into the kidnapper's actions. We too are reading into his actions emotions that just aren't there...or are they?

We are left to conclude this for ourselves. I won't ruin the ending, but I didn't like it, I was really disappointed. It is a little like Chloe will come to feel after being home a while I'm sure. That being the case, it still
It's OFFICIAL: There will be a movie & a sequel! 3 25 Jun 15, 2014 06:19PM
Should there be a sequel to "Held?" 4 34 Sep 09, 2013 05:30PM
  • Terrorscape (Horrorscape, #3)
  • Mistakes (Mistakes Trilogy, #1)
  • Messy and Shattered (Abduct, #1)
  • Screaming in the Silence
  • The Breakaway (The Breakaway, #1)
  • Fog
  • Twisted Rose (The Darkness Trilogy, #3)
  • Undergrounders
  • Beyond Ransom (Ransom, #1)
  • Missing
  • Consumed (Keeping her in the Dark, #2)
  • Twisted Asphalt (Asphalt Outlaw #1)
  • The Bonus
  • Stealing Grace (Stolen Hearts, #1)
  • Buried
  • Betrayed - Alternate Ending
  • Hurt
  • Gaijin
I spent my first seven years on Sasa, an Israeli kibbutz, and the next ten in Montreal. I returned to Jerusalem in 1973 to study at Hebrew University. I wrote continually as I accumulated degrees (a BA and MA in English, followed by an MA in Creative Writing and a PhD in Biblical Exegesis at McGill) and then taught, but I did not send out my work until I was in my forties; I had completed ten or s ...more
More about Edeet Ravel...

“Someone once told me a joke," he said. "I'd like to be a pacifist, but people keep getting in the way.' I made a decision to fight for my friend in prison. It was a deliberate decision. It isn't the only way-it's just something I decided.” 2 likes