Start by marking “Lion of Babylon” as Want to Read:
Lion of Babylon

Lion of Babylon (Marc Royce #1)

3.99  ·  Rating Details ·  1,400 Ratings  ·  176 Reviews
Published July 1st 2011 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Lion of Babylon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lion of Babylon

Kelly
Jan 02, 2015 Kelly rated it it was amazing
I have a longstanding love/hate relationship with Christian fiction. I have a thirst for reading, and enjoy books from many genres. Periodically I have a craving for espionage/thriller stories, ones that are well written without being overly gory and unnecessarily violent. As a Christian, I repeatedly try to find books within the Christian Fiction classification that have a rich, thorough plot and storyline, where God has a deserved place in the writing. Unfortunately, too many times Christian F ...more
Andrea Cox
by Andrea Renee Cox

Lion of Babylon had been in my to-be-read pile for a couple of years, and a book bingo challenge finally got me to read it. I was hopeful that it would be filled with action, but I was disappointed. Sure, there were scenes of action and tension and juicy stuff like that. But there was heavy emphasis on Iraqi religions, which I wasn't expecting nor wanting in a Christian fiction book, and the lead character explained the same thing to each new player that joined his team. I'm a
Skip
Feb 11, 2012 Skip rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
Normally, I cannot abide a novel with such strong religious overtones, but Davis Bunn has written a thriller with a message of hope for the world. Marc Royce, a former covert agent, has retired from the job and life over the death of his wife due to a stroke. When his best friend Alex Baird is kidnapped in Iraq, he is reawakened. He befriends a local attorney-fixer and an entire country, by helping rescue a kidnapped child (among many others) with former Iraqi police demoted to prison guards. Ce ...more
Nate LaClaire
Sep 07, 2011 Nate LaClaire rated it it was amazing
Lion of Babylon tells the story of Marc Royce, a former US intelligence operative who is called back into service to rescue a close friend who has been kidnapped in Iraq. In order to save his friend, Marc must make allies in Iraq while protecting himself from those within the US and Iraqi governments who aim to see him fail. In the process he…well, I’m not going to tell you what he does – you’re going to have to read it yourself to find out.

This fast-paced thriller kept me hooked from beginning
Aug 02, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
For me, this book went beyond a good story; it actually broadened my world a bit.

When a CIA operative suddenly goes missing in Bagdad, the US State Department pulls their former employee, Marc Royce back into service to find his missing friend. Marc faces danger and opposition from not only the Iraqi and Iranian conservatives, but also from inside the US Embassy and military organization in Iraq. Although its hard to tell friend from foe, Marc's honesty, humility, and desire for justice--even i
Michelle Rayburn
Jun 05, 2011 Michelle Rayburn rated it really liked it
When I closed the last page of the book, I think I actually tasted the desert sand of Iraq and felt the searing heat of the sun. In Lion of Babylon, Davis Bunn takes the readers on an action-packed adventure to the middle east. Marc Royce is on special assignment to find several missing Americans in Iraq, and he’s driven by his personal connection to one of them. The story is full of twists and turns, leaving the reader wondering right up to the end if certain events are related to one another.

T
lafon حمزة نوفل
I don't like Christian fiction. At all. Not because I have anything against Christianity (that would be completely untrue), but rather because it's (the genre, not the religion) usually very preachy. Trinity this, Jesus dying for you that. I have my own religion thank you very much. And I have no intention of leaving it.
I also don't like thrillers as a rule. More often than not (especially nowadays) they're about some courageous Marine or soldier from the States, who goes and prevents an evil (M
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
Marc Royce is a former employee of State Intel, which is the smallest of the nation's intelligence forces responsible for security in every overseas non military base from embassies, consulates, ambassadorial residences to treaty houses. He was fired because he had the the unforgivable. He put his wife first to care for her after having a stroke for 9 months, the state only offered him 6 weeks. Since then, he has carried around her death like a burden he can't see to put down.

Now that Alex Baird
Joy DeKok
Jun 13, 2012 Joy DeKok rated it it was amazing
My husband and I don't have long romantic dinners on date nights. Instead, we buy audio books, fill our travel mugs with fresh brewed coffee, and get in the car with an audio book - usually non-fiction.

Not long ago, I asked Jon if he'd be willing to try a novel, and he said that would be fine. He said fine in the same voice he uses when I want to watch a chick-flick.

Jon was hooked on Lion of Babylon by the time we reached the end of our 1/4 mile driveway. Way to write Davis Bunn!

Lion of Babylo
Julianne
Apr 23, 2014 Julianne rated it liked it
This was an interesting story. The main character does have all the advantages fall easily into his lap but I like the cultural and political story lines. I also would have liked a little more back story on Marc and where he served to get his phenomenal skills.
I thought the Christian side theme and how it affects that area of the world was very interesting. I will read the next one.
Dale
Sep 12, 2014 Dale rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Review of the Audiobook

Published in August of 2011 by Christian Audio
Read by Paul Boehmer
Duration: 10 hours, 40 minutes
Unabridged

Veteran writer Davis Bunn (also known as T. Davis Bunn) is known for writing Christian historical fiction and Christian thrillers. Lion of Babylon is a Christian thriller centered on an intelligence operative named Marc Royce.

Royce is one of the best of the best but he has recently been forced to retire due to the petty whims of his boss, a well-connected adviser
Perry Martin
Davis Bunn's 1st book in his Marc Royce series is Published by Bethany House, Center Point Large Print, and Christian Audio. As with all audiobooks the narrator can make or break a book by their presentation. Paul Boehmer has done as well as any I have heard recently when it comes to this dramatic character rich genre. His comand of accents and clarity of speach raise this audiobook title from good to great.

David Bunn's character Marc Royce has been fired from his job in intelligence for taking
Katie
Aug 22, 2011 Katie is currently reading it
i am really enjoying it right now. I never thought that i would pick up a book about the middle east. It is making me think of all the people that are over their working to help start a new government. I am also grateful that I don't have to hide my faith and worry that I will get in trouble.

If anybody is considering reading this book i do recommend it, but just understand it does have some difficult topics in it. ex. kidnapping, and the differences between the two groups in the middle east.
Perry Martin
Jul 30, 2014 Perry Martin rated it it was amazing

Chuck
Feb 26, 2014 Chuck rated it really liked it
I have made it well known that Vince Flynn is my favorite action/spy/espionage author. That being said, Davis Bunn has found a special place among my favs. This is by far the best one I've read to date. One of the things I always liked best about Vince Flynn is the blood & guts & killing. In spite of that it's a bit refreshing to see an action novel that is realistic without all the gore. I must admit to myself that the constant killing & torture is often itself a bit unrealistic. Th ...more
Betti
May 27, 2013 Betti rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense
Great book. Well written, set in Iraq, opening a whole new world to those of us who have not served in the military or otherwise in a foreign country. Hard to put down once you started, as the intrigue kept your interest, wondering if things were going to work out the way you hoped they would. Between bombs and dark alleys, this is definitely worth sitting down and reading.
Noirfifre
I must admit at the quarter mark of the novel, it was just ok for me, just a few words to occupy my mind. However, by the end of the story, I am torn between 'liking it' or 'really liking it.' Lion of Babylon read like a story wrap around a text both, meaning it was both educational and imaginative. I felt encouraged and my interested more piqued to researched more on some of the terms used by the author and also to learn more about the backroads of the Middle East.

When I came across this dialo
Brian K.
LOVED this book.

Great work by Davis Bunn, writing a modern tale of servant-leadership. I only wish more authors would demonstrate to young readers how to lead through quiet introspection rather than forceful admonition. Marc Royce's character should be expanded in future novels.

Great Job Mr. Dun. Thank You!!!
Pat
Jun 30, 2014 Pat rated it it was amazing
Marc Royce works for the State Department on special assignments, most of them rather routine, until two CIA operatives go missing in Iraq--kidnapped by Taliban forces bent on generating chaos in the region. Two others also drop out of sight--a high-placed Iraqi civilian and an American woman providing humanitarian aid. Are the disappearances linked? Rumors circulate in a whirl of misinformation.

Marc must unravel the truth in a covert operation requiring utmost secrecy--from both the Americans a
Jeanie
Feb 25, 2012 Jeanie rated it liked it
A retired operative is called back to rescue a friend that has gone missing in Iraq. A story about courage, doing the right thing for the right reasons. About loyalty and friendship. It is a book that opens your eyes to what is going on in the middle east. It really is a tangled web.
Rick Bavera
Mar 31, 2016 Rick Bavera rated it really liked it
I have read Davis Bunn's books before, and they have always been worth the time.

This was no exception.

Strong story and characters. Entertaining. There is a Christian undercurrent that is good and doesn't clobber you over the head.

Definitely a good read.
Lisa Carter
Jul 15, 2013 Lisa Carter rated it liked it
This is definitely a book most guys will enjoy. A political thriller with tons of action. I'm wondering if there is a sequel to further explore the romantic thread introduced in this novel. Gripping spiritual message for a world divided by so much.
Larry B Gray
May 01, 2015 Larry B Gray rated it it was amazing
Davis Bunn's book Lion of Babylon is an excellent spy/intrigue novel that is full of action and adventure. It will keep you glued to your seat reading page after page.

The author has done an outstanding job of developing a tale that could be taken straight out of the news headlines of today and puts the reader right in the middle of the action. I really like Davis Bunn's storytelling style which makes me feel like I'm a part of the story. The story is full of plot twist and excitement but is easy
Kacie
Feb 22, 2014 Kacie rated it liked it
It's hard to write reviews in genres I don't like. I don't like most Christian fiction, though I am a Christian. The spirituality is too often overly simplistic and syrupy sweet. Within the genre, though, Davis Bunn is good. I love his intellectual bent with historical and cultural details.

This particular book is set in Iraq and is a decent political mystery that interweaves an "insider movement" of Christians and some anti-Iranian rhetoric. My least favorite thing is the suggestion that a trul
Susan
Sep 20, 2013 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novel was intriguing and exciting. The narrator did an excellent job with the characters. Mark Royce and his friends were quite interesting. I'm looking forward to the next in the series.
Bill Tillman
Thriller is a great handle for this novel by Bunn. The action is non stop from first page to last. As a Christian author Bunn ranks among the best. Well worth reading.
Lis K
Jan 07, 2015 Lis K rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought I'd read something out of my comfort zone and picked this Christian political thriller. Others have already summarized the story but it is about an American former intelligence operative, Marc Royce, who returns to the field when his good friend, among others, are kidnapped in Iraq. The author's description of the setting and the environment in which Marc finds himself seemed so authentic. I could feel the oppressive heat, the dangerous environment, and even simple things like the chao ...more
Victor Gentile
Dec 27, 2011 Victor Gentile rated it it was amazing
I had the privilege of interviewing Davis Bunn, on our radio show “Kingdom Highlights” for his new book, “Lion of Babylon” Book One in Marc Royce series published by Bethany House.

From the back cover: Marc Royce worked for the State Department on a variety of clandestine assignments — that is, until personal issues led to his dismissal.

When Alex Baird goes missing in war-torn Baghdad, State comes calling again. Alex is an intelligence agent – and a close friend of Royce. Three others have also d
Bryan
Sid Frost
Mar 22, 2012 Sid Frost rated it it was amazing
This story is about what happens after Marc Royce, a former State Department agent involved in covert operations, is called back into service in Baghdad to find his best friend Alex Baird, a CIA agent who has disappeared. In addition to his friend, there are two women missing, Claire Reeves, a nurse, and Hannah Brimsley, a volunteer at a church in the Green Zone. Farouk El-waziri, the son of a prominent Iraqi family who knew the three Americans is also missing.

Marc had been forced out of his job
  • Thunder in the Morning Calm (Pacific Rim #1)
  • Falls Like Lightning
  • The Next Target
  • The 13: Fall (The 13, #1)
  • Directed Verdict
  • Vigilante (Dangerous Times, #3)
  • Betrayed
  • The Deposit Slip
  • Dead Reckoning
  • Diagnosis Death (Prescription for Trouble, #3)
  • Downfall (Intervention, #3)
  • Hide and Seek (Sgt. Major Eric Moyer, #4)
  • The Chair
  • Day of War (Lion of War #1)
  • The Betrayal (Precinct 11, #2)
  • Here We Come (Aggie's Inheritance, #3)
  • Fatal Loyalty
  • From Across the Ancient Waters (The Green Hills of Snowdonia, #1)
Davis Bunn is an internationally-acclaimed author who has sold more than seven million books in twenty languages.

Honored with four Christy Awards for excellence in historical and suspense fiction, Davis was inducted into the Christy Hall of Fame in 2014.

His bestsellers include The Great Divide, Winner Take All, The Meeting Place, The Book of Hours, and The Quilt. A sought-after lecturer in the a
More about Davis Bunn...

Marc Royce (3 books)
  • Rare Earth
  • Strait of Hormuz

“There’s no debt. There never has been. We are friends.” 13 likes
“He used a minimum of words and no inflection whatsoever. It was a policeman's manner of speaking, direct and unadorned.” 1 likes