Start by marking “Toothless” as Want to Read:
Toothless

Toothless

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  22 reviews
An ancient evil leads a rampaging army of demons and undead warriors across the countryside. Martin, a failed Templar, is slain on the field of battle only to be reanimated in service to the very evil he hoped to destroy. The Black Yew, the dark force that controls the undead army, considers him a gifted minion.

But life is not done with him yet.
Published (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Toothless, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Toothless

Ranting Dragon
Toothless is a standalone novel set in a fictional France in 1180 A.D. The Black Yew leads an army of the unstoppable undead, indiscriminately killing all in its wake. A few select warriors who are cut down are brought back to life. Martin, a former Templar, is now “Toothless,” an undead soldier with a special connection to the Yew. He seems destined to lead the fallen, but just as paths in life can be circuitous, so wind the twisting paths of the afterlife.

On his path, Toothless collides with L
Maggie Cats
This book was...odd. I'm a fan of the zombie genre, so I picked it up at the library based on the stunning cover art that implied, well, zombies. Here's the plot description from the back of the book:

"An ancient evil leads a rampaging army of demons and undead warriors across the countryside. Martin, a failed Templar, is slain on the field of battle only to be reanimated in service to the very evil he hoped to destroy. The Black Yew, the dark force that controls the undead army, considers him a
Chelsea Conlin
Whenever I recommend Toothless to people (which is often), I tell them that it's sort of like an alternate history. What if legions of undead flooded across Europe between the Second and Third Crusades, leaving devastation in their wake? The bleak landscape that J.P. Moore describes in Toothless is very believable, and in a way it mirrors the bleakness of the title character's situation. Yet despite being unable to speak and having been reborn as one of the undead, Toothless is surprisingly easy ...more
Brian
I found this book to be a very unique take on the zombie genre. Thanks to high quality writing, the story moves along well while keeping the reader curious about how the lead character will overcome his physical limitations. The characters feel real and you can sympathize with their struggles. And the author makes you feel as if you're walking in the 12th century with the characters. This is a great read and I highly recommend it.
BTina
I usually don't like gory horror stories, especially if there's lots of hopelessness, zombies and evil magic. But Toothless is something else. I listened to the free audio book and cried some river's worth of tears. Everything fits, the plot is good as well as the narrator and the audio quality. In the end there was a light of hope on the horizon and Toothless was content.
Knotty
Certainly a different kind of zombie story. The writing is good, the story keeps your interest, and it is not the same old zombie tropes.
Highly recommended!
Benni

Craig Robertson
What a wonderful book! The story is fresh, well thought out, and superbly told. JP's writing builds the tale and the characters with powerful, paced, and soulful skill. The characters are so well constructed that it wasn't until I read someone else's comments that I realized many of JP's characters were potentially stock figures, like zombies and werewolves. But JP creates his players so uniquely and individually that they are anything but off the shelf fantasy icons. Well done! His command of t ...more
Carl Alves
For the most part I enjoyed Toothless. Set in the middle ages, Toothless is an alternative history novel where demons, known as the Yew, are taking over humanity. Toothless was a former Templar Knight named Martin, who died at the hands of the Yew. At first he was working for them, killing people like a scythe going through wheat. But eventually after meeting a woman with mystical abilities, he has a change of heart and helps the Templars fight against the Yew. Although I enjoyed Toothless, part ...more
Randolph Carter
Jan 18, 2013 Randolph Carter rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Zombies and Crusaders
Recommended to Randolph by: Jordan West
Shelves: fiction, horror
Templars and Zombies. The Knight's Templar of the Rosy Cross versus the Black Yew of the Undead. Plenty of close in combat the way they did it in the good ol' days. A nice unique variation on the zombie story.

Really well written. I found this book started out great and kind of dragged in the second half. To be fair, I kind of figured out what Martin was going to do a little too early so I was like: just get on with it. I'm also not a great military buff, so all the battle detail was kind of wast
Rattyfleef
Abandoned.

I couldn't like this as much as I wanted to. At times lyrical and wonderfully descriptive, the writing also suffers from over-use of filters and the occasional cliche. Oh look, a young fantasy heroine who suffers a near rape, never seen THAT before. :/ The story flags rather badly at the start of book 2, picks up briefly with one of Moore's splendid fight scenes, and sags again. A combination of packing, hunger, and growing boredom caused me to set this one aside.

I do plan to check ou
Brendan Rowe
I enjoyed this up until the midpoint, but when the mystic was introduced, I began to lose interest. Still, I found the first 200 or so pages to be highly captivating, especially since I understood enough of the mythology (such as the character of Longinus) and the importance of symbolism with the Black Yew and its hunt for relics. Still, I felt that the story began to lag at the midpoint.
Sarah Contos
Loved it! Slow at first getting into it because it wasn't what I was expecting. I loved the character development of Toothless. Poor guy, acting as his own antagonist at times. You want to see him succeed but there were times I thought he would give in to the evil inside him. He turned out to be a well-fleshed out (no pun intended) hero. Thoroughly enjoyed this read.
Christine V Mae Gaskins
I found this by searching Werewolves and zombies in iTunes podcast. These are not zombies they are just undead. The subjects/characters are undead, knights Templar, black plague, and war. It was a good book despite that. It is a historical fiction according to a site.
Joe Garrett
A cool mix of fantasy, horror, and history. Don't miss this one! I was a fan of the podcast. I love that authors like J. P. Moore can find success in the traditional publishing world, too!
SinisterAgentMulder
(Audiobook) interesting twist on the zombie story (zombies point of view). Giant red demons-zombies-sword&axes-knightsTemplar. Change of pace from the regular undead stories.
Deborah
Nov 09, 2010 Deborah marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I like Zombie stories and moves; but lately they all seem to be telling the same old story. I would like to find out if "Toothless"can put a new spin on a Zombie story.
Meghan
Recommended by Chris Lackey and Chad Fifer of the HP Lovecraft Literary Podcast.
Stefanie
It was a very intrigueing tale. I really liked it.
Shirlee
Good story. Couldn't put it down.
Juvenal Nkeramahame
Juvenal Nkeramahame marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Benjamin Thornton
Benjamin Thornton marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Hannah Kaye
Hannah Kaye marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Laurelle Bryington
Laurelle Bryington marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
  • Murder at Avedon Hill
  • Nina Kimberly the Merciless
  • Flames (The Guild of the Cowry Catchers, #2)
  • Nada the Lily
  • Reader and Educator Guide to "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings"
  • The Empress Sword
  • Ghostly Guardian (The Demon Isle Witches, #1)
  • The Wraith
  • Wicked Initiations
  • Destiny's Fall
  • How to Slay a Dragon (The Journals of Myrth, #1)
  • Crescent
  • Billy: Messenger of Powers (Billy Jones, #1)
  • Triptych
  • Vegas Knights
  • Sentinel (Sentinel Trilogy, #1)
  • When the Hero Comes Home
  • Hell Train
J. P. Moore writes in southern New Jersey, which is a long way from the settings of his novels and stories. He has fond memories of a childhood in the Pine Barrens, however, where endless tracks of mossy wilderness informed the spirit behind his fiction.

Whether in worlds of his own design, or slightly off-center historical settings, Moore digs for the streams of mythology and folklore that run ben
More about J.P. Moore...
A Demonminds Halloween 2008 Unknown Book 5594349 One Sold Answers: The Way It Has Always Been When the Hero Comes Home

“In all the heroic tales, dying soldiers saw their lives pass before their eyes. No, Martin realized. The memories were just running like rats from a sinking ship, down the ropes only to drown. He watched the backs of their heads.” 1 likes