Start by marking “Toothless” as Want to Read:
Toothless

Toothless

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  102 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
An ancient evil leads a rampaging army of demons and undead warriors across the countryside. Martin, a failed Templar, is slain on the field of battle only to be reanimated in service to the very evil he hoped to destroy. The Black Yew, the dark force that controls the undead army, considers him a gifted minion.

But life is not done with him yet.
Published (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Toothless, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Toothless

Maggie Cats
This book was...odd. I'm a fan of the zombie genre, so I picked it up at the library based on the stunning cover art that implied, well, zombies. Here's the plot description from the back of the book:

"An ancient evil leads a rampaging army of demons and undead warriors across the countryside. Martin, a failed Templar, is slain on the field of battle only to be reanimated in service to the very evil he hoped to destroy. The Black Yew, the dark force that controls the undead army, considers him a
Chelsea Conlin
Nov 08, 2010 Chelsea Conlin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whenever I recommend Toothless to people (which is often), I tell them that it's sort of like an alternate history. What if legions of undead flooded across Europe between the Second and Third Crusades, leaving devastation in their wake? The bleak landscape that J.P. Moore describes in Toothless is very believable, and in a way it mirrors the bleakness of the title character's situation. Yet despite being unable to speak and having been reborn as one of the undead, Toothless is surprisingly easy ...more
Brian
Nov 09, 2010 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be a very unique take on the zombie genre. Thanks to high quality writing, the story moves along well while keeping the reader curious about how the lead character will overcome his physical limitations. The characters feel real and you can sympathize with their struggles. And the author makes you feel as if you're walking in the 12th century with the characters. This is a great read and I highly recommend it.
BTina
I usually don't like gory horror stories, especially if there's lots of hopelessness, zombies and evil magic. But Toothless is something else. I listened to the free audio book and cried some river's worth of tears. Everything fits, the plot is good as well as the narrator and the audio quality. In the end there was a light of hope on the horizon and Toothless was content.
Knotty
Nov 14, 2011 Knotty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Certainly a different kind of zombie story. The writing is good, the story keeps your interest, and it is not the same old zombie tropes.
Highly recommended!
Chantel
Mar 16, 2015 Chantel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chantel by: Librivox Search for Zombie
Shelves: set-aside
Reading Progress: Set Aside

03/15 marked as: currently-reading

03/16 25.0% "Audiobook read by author. Section 7 of 28 and I'm not liking this book so far. I'll give it a little longer since a main character mentioned in reviews hasn't entered yet but..."

03/16 29.0% "I finished Section 8 of 28. I have gotten to the end of Part/Book 1. The main character mentioned in reviews did enter but she hasn't played much of a role yet. I still don't like the book so I'm not going to finish it for now. I have
Eric
Apr 04, 2016 Eric rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, 2015
One major caveat for this review-- I find that I am increasingly less interested in fantasy, and am very unlikely to be the target audience for this book.

I listened to the podcast available here, read by the author:

The story begins innocently enough, but quickly descends into fantasy cliche after cliche after cliche. Much of the story felt contrived, and upon reaching the middle of the book I had forfeited any interest in the story, and the characters invol
Benni

Ranting Dragon
Jan 25, 2011 Ranting Dragon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: benni
Toothless is a standalone novel set in a fictional France in 1180 A.D. The Black Yew leads an army of the unstoppable undead, indiscriminately killing all in its wake. A few select warriors who are cut down are brought back to life. Martin, a former Templar, is now “Toothless,” an undead soldier with a special connection to the Yew. He seems destined to lead the fallen, but just as paths in life can be circuitous, so wind the twisting paths of the afterlife.

On his path, Toothless collides with L
Craig Robertson
May 29, 2011 Craig Robertson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful book! The story is fresh, well thought out, and superbly told. JP's writing builds the tale and the characters with powerful, paced, and soulful skill. The characters are so well constructed that it wasn't until I read someone else's comments that I realized many of JP's characters were potentially stock figures, like zombies and werewolves. But JP creates his players so uniquely and individually that they are anything but off the shelf fantasy icons. Well done! His command of t ...more
Richard Hay
A lot more thoughtful than your average Gore fest and a great 12th century setting. Martin can't speak, so the author deals really well with illustrating Martin's internal monologue without resorting to quoting the inside of his head. Some great set pieces and characters. listened to the podcast version.
Tom Tancredi
Sep 27, 2015 Tom Tancredi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really great world and setting. Tremendously strong opening and great roles. That said, the plot loosens up in the second half of the book, and it gets confusing as to what the rules of the world are as we go forward. I would recommend and love to see more lore from this world. It's inspiring
Carl Alves
For the most part I enjoyed Toothless. Set in the middle ages, Toothless is an alternative history novel where demons, known as the Yew, are taking over humanity. Toothless was a former Templar Knight named Martin, who died at the hands of the Yew. At first he was working for them, killing people like a scythe going through wheat. But eventually after meeting a woman with mystical abilities, he has a change of heart and helps the Templars fight against the Yew. Although I enjoyed Toothless, part ...more
Eric Grimm
Feb 25, 2016 Eric Grimm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Imagine, if you will, the zombie apocalypse arriving during the middle ages. Now throw in the view point from one of the infected and a slightly altered time line and you will have this excellently refreshing novel in a well known genre.
Randolph Carter
Jan 18, 2013 Randolph Carter rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Zombies and Crusaders
Recommended to Randolph by: Jordan West
Shelves: horror, fiction
Templars and Zombies. The Knight's Templar of the Rosy Cross versus the Black Yew of the Undead. Plenty of close in combat the way they did it in the good ol' days. A nice unique variation on the zombie story.

Really well written. I found this book started out great and kind of dragged in the second half. To be fair, I kind of figured out what Martin was going to do a little too early so I was like: just get on with it. I'm also not a great military buff, so all the battle detail was kind of wast
Rattyfleef
Jul 28, 2011 Rattyfleef rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
Abandoned.

I couldn't like this as much as I wanted to. At times lyrical and wonderfully descriptive, the writing also suffers from over-use of filters and the occasional cliche. Oh look, a young fantasy heroine who suffers a near rape, never seen THAT before. :/ The story flags rather badly at the start of book 2, picks up briefly with one of Moore's splendid fight scenes, and sags again. A combination of packing, hunger, and growing boredom caused me to set this one aside.

I do plan to check ou
Nannika
Nov 05, 2015 Nannika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Found on podiobooks.com Took me a long time to get into this book because of the slow pace of the reader. Weird and creeptastic. Was very sad though.
Brendan Rowe
I enjoyed this up until the midpoint, but when the mystic was introduced, I began to lose interest. Still, I found the first 200 or so pages to be highly captivating, especially since I understood enough of the mythology (such as the character of Longinus) and the importance of symbolism with the Black Yew and its hunt for relics. Still, I felt that the story began to lag at the midpoint.
Sarah Contos
Nov 25, 2011 Sarah Contos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Loved it! Slow at first getting into it because it wasn't what I was expecting. I loved the character development of Toothless. Poor guy, acting as his own antagonist at times. You want to see him succeed but there were times I thought he would give in to the evil inside him. He turned out to be a well-fleshed out (no pun intended) hero. Thoroughly enjoyed this read.
Christine Gaskins
I found this by searching Werewolves and zombies in iTunes podcast. These are not zombies they are just undead. The subjects/characters are undead, knights Templar, black plague, and war. It was a good book despite that. It is a historical fiction according to a site.
Joe Garrett
Nov 08, 2010 Joe Garrett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A cool mix of fantasy, horror, and history. Don't miss this one! I was a fan of the podcast. I love that authors like J. P. Moore can find success in the traditional publishing world, too!
SinisterAgentMulder
(Audiobook) interesting twist on the zombie story (zombies point of view). Giant red demons-zombies-sword&axes-knightsTemplar. Change of pace from the regular undead stories.
Deborah
Nov 09, 2010 Deborah marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I like Zombie stories and moves; but lately they all seem to be telling the same old story. I would like to find out if "Toothless"can put a new spin on a Zombie story.
Meghan
Recommended by Chris Lackey and Chad Fifer of the HP Lovecraft Literary Podcast.
Stefanie
Nov 19, 2010 Stefanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a very intrigueing tale. I really liked it.
Shirlee
Sep 14, 2011 Shirlee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good story. Couldn't put it down.
Adam Schmidt
Nov 09, 2010 Adam Schmidt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars, just read it!
Bill Tillman
Interesting audiobook.
Jon Ediger
Jon Ediger marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Kaitlyn Kulesus brown
Kaitlyn Kulesus brown marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
  • Murder at Avedon Hill
  • Nina Kimberly the Merciless
  • Servant of Steel (Chaos Awakens, #1)
  • Destiny's Fall
  • When the Villain Comes Home
  • Reader and Educator Guide to "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings"
  • The Empress Sword
  • Wicked Initiations
  • Ghostly Guardian (The Demon Isle Witches, #1)
  • Billy: Messenger of Powers (Billy Jones, #1)
  • The Wraith
  • When the Hero Comes Home
  • Vegas Knights
  • Thorn Ogres Of Hagwood (The Hagwood Trilogy, #1)
  • Teeth (The South Pacific Trilogy #1)
  • Flames (The Guild of the Cowry Catchers, #2)
  • Nada the Lily
  • Feel the Burn (BirthRight Trilogy #3)
J. P. Moore writes in southern New Jersey, which is a long way from the settings of his novels and stories. He has fond memories of a childhood in the Pine Barrens, however, where endless tracks of mossy wilderness informed the spirit behind his fiction.

Whether in worlds of his own design, or slightly off-center historical settings, Moore digs for the streams of mythology and folklore that run ben
More about J.P. Moore...

“In all the heroic tales, dying soldiers saw their lives pass before their eyes. No, Martin realized. The memories were just running like rats from a sinking ship, down the ropes only to drown. He watched the backs of their heads.” 1 likes