Start by marking “The Sword and the Stone” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Sword and the Stone

T.H. White

The Sword and the Stone (The Once and Future King #1)

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  19,173 Ratings  ·  609 Reviews
T.H. White's classic tale of the young Arthur's questioning and discovery of his life is unparalleled for its wit, wisdom, and colorful characters.
Published July 1st 2003 by Thomas T. Beeler Publisher (first published 1938)

Jason Koivu
A time-traveling Merlin? Stop it, White ol' boy, you're killing me!

TH White's version of the King Arthur myth is...unusual. It's not a straight up retelling of the tale that tries to pinpoint any kind of actual date upon when the "real" King Arthur lived and base the story in that period. It floats about, taking little bits of history from here, a legend or two from there, and cobbles them together. It makes for an interesting fantasy.

It's also distracting. I'm the sort that likes to get immerse
Apatt
Mar 03, 2015 Apatt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
If you are looking for my review of this book please head for my long winded review of The Once and Future King as this book is Part 1 thereof. If, on the other hand, you are not looking for my review... Hello!
Darwin8u
Oct 07, 2013 Darwin8u rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
“The best thing for being sad ... is to learn something.”
― T.H. White, The Sword in the Stone

description

I loved it and will definitely write more later as I read the follow-ups with the kids. My brats absolutely enjoyed it, even if many of the jokes, the funky blending of the Medieval with the Modern, might have floated a bit over their tiny wee heads. We three (my brood and me) are excited to push forwad and read the rest of The Once and Future King.

Anyway, I think White perfectly captured the magic, p
Darkiknowwell
Nov 29, 2010 Darkiknowwell rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, ya
My love of the television show Merlin, could not get me through this book. I finally finished it, and all I really have to say is that I shall not be starting "The Once and Future King" any time soon.
When I picked up this book up at a library book sale I had such high expectations for the story, which quickly evaporated within the first four chapters. The book was not exactly poorly written (and I've read worse), but the tone of voice conflicts with the overall narration, which prevents the rea
Kodama
Jun 14, 2007 Kodama rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Disney movie is only about the first twenty pages of this book...and not really because they changed all the characters. This book is sweet, intelligent, funny, and endearing.
Nikki
I read this when I was younger, but I don't remember loving it so much then. I didn't remember how the narrative voice blended humour and beautiful descriptions, anachronisms and explanations of relatively historically accurate details. I forgot how intertextual it is -- Merlin putting his fingers together like Sherlock Holmes, and all the hints at Lancelot's doings and so on, and Robin Hood...

But it is all those things. There are parts of it that are beautiful, parts that are so wonderfully wel
Deborah Pickstone
Can you believe I had never read this? As I began it seemed so clearly for children that I was a little put off. Then it occurred to me that I was reading one of the grandparents of modern magical fantasy and very funny in parts, too! It comes complete with it's own made up language and a cast of utterly barmy characters. J.K. Rowling certainly read it - it's all over HP and some items are taken straight from this book and embellished to fine art. Not to mention it being 'written' in Northern En ...more
Lisa
Sep 19, 2007 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Arthurian legend
Shelves: fantasy, classics, series
Setting: Great Britain
Time Period: Middle Ages
Series: Part 1 of The Once and Future King series

Plot Summary: Wart (Arthur) is a young orphan living with Sir Ector and working as a page in medieval Great Britain. While fetching one of Sir Ector’s birds, which his companion and foster brother Kay has lost, he encounters the wizard Merlin who becomes his and Kay’s tutor. Through a series of adventures made possible by Merlin, Wart learns about the world, nature and man’s duty to nature. His adventu
Nikki
Dissertation reread time! I acquired a distaste for T.H. White sometime during my MA, and I'm not sure exactly why: rereading The Sword in the Stone, I still rather loved it, with its gentle humour and the character of the narratorial voice and its understanding of each character. I note that in my first review I noticed the way it treats Kay, which is a good sign for this dissertation...

It's written in a conversational way, but it's also beautiful. There are descriptions of the natural world th
Scott Sheaffer
Apr 23, 2010 Scott Sheaffer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is a great book for anyone into medieval, Arthurian legend. I enjoy stories about chivalry and white knights in search of damsels in distress but just can't get thru the lengthy and boring Sir Thomas Mallory text, "La Muerte De Arthur". This book is a fine combination between Alice in Wonderland and Sir Thomas’s work. In other words it's the entire story with more fun and imagination. I'm glad this is only part of a series. I'm off to start book two.
Mmars
Sep 13, 2013 Mmars rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

If you decide to read this, look for an unabridged edition with the author's illustrations. I read the Time-Life edition. There should be lots of words and terms you've never encountered before. Unless, of course, you are an expert on Norman England, falconry, hunting boars, long-ago dog breeds, tilting, jousting and medieval butchery.

I want to label this a quirky fantasy. It's certainly can't be taken seriously. The audience seems to be juvenile, but the language, specifically the terminology,
LPG
Dec 14, 2016 LPG rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Still dunno why I loved this so immediatley & so intensely.

Everything in it spoke to me.

Wart's lack of self worth, Merlyn's oddball lessons and habits, all the animals from the stupid falcon to the questing beast, and most of all the way White can be counted on to lose the thread of seriousness halfway through a sentence and throw in some pure sparkling nonsense.

I started reading the next book in the series, and it seems to be written by a completely different guy. Not in a bad way- just j
Shawn Mooney
Despite the wonderful writing and the lovely audio narration, I bailed on this at around the 25% mark. Children's lit bores me to tears.
A.J.
Sep 28, 2010 A.J. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found this on a list somewhere of 'books everyone should have read', so picked it up from the YA section of the library and dutifully did so. It was a bit of a curate's egg. The anachronisms were a bit strange and the plot was light-to-non-existent. I found the dialogue punctuation irritating after a while - there were a lot of new paragraphs with the same speaker as the previous one, where the quotation marks suggested it should be a new one. Often I wasn't sure which 'he' was being referred ...more
lauren
I read this book after reading about White in 'H is for Hawk', not really having any expectations about it. But I loved it! Wart's relationship with nature and Merlyn and his family are all quite interesting. And the writing is good, and knowing some about White and his closeted homosexuality and other issues made it all the more fascinating to read.
Atharva
I started with the first part of the Once and the Future King cause I wanted to explore more into the Middle Age European Arthurian Legends. I knew the basic characters like Arthur, Merlin (here Merlyn), Sir Kay, Sir Ector, Lancelot, etc. Many people recommended this book 'The Sword in the Stone' which is the part 1 of the OATFK therefore I took it into consideration and started reading. It was far better and at the same time far worse from my expectations. The book is the classical retelling of ...more
QuincyK
Um...
Ok, so the story part of the book is really good. I like Merlin's attitude towards education "education is experience!" and the stories where Wart gets turned into animals are cool and philosophical.

(Except there is no squirrel story! I was waiting the whole book for a squirrel story and there is none!)

The pacing of the book is very good, and you learn a lot of new words from the medieval period. I like how because Merlin has come from the future, he can mention things like cars and stuff l
Greg Deane
This is an amusing work for children, though entertaining for all ages, with a number of interesting mediaeval words, like 'austringer', 'alaunt' 'solar room' and 'fewmets. The novel offers a good many insights into life in feudal households and the unfolding of the seasons in rural England. White gives interesting insights into haymaking, jousting, the path to knighthood and archery

But the story is heavy with anachronisms, so that Robin Hood who resisted the tyranny of King John in the 12th an
Thom
Apr 20, 2014 Thom rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-series
This is one of the more famous Arthur stories, and I am fairly sure I saw the Disney film decades ago. It did not make a large impression on me. Certain aspects of the book are very good, and others are far less so.

Young "Wart" is not descended from nobility like his companion Kay, and the two of them grow up in and around castle life. Only towards the end of the novel is there any potential friction, as Kay starts through his knighthood ceremony, leaving Wart as the squire. The finale of the no
Samantha
Aug 13, 2009 Samantha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I loved The Sword in the Stone. I watched the Disney movie before I read the novel and I loved that too. However, the book is a lot different from the movie and even though I know the story I still enjoyed it immensely. The book is about a boy named Wart who lives with Sir Ector and his son, Kay, in a castle. Wart never knew his real parents, but Sir Ector treats him like a son and Kay is a brother to him. Wart's adventures begin when he is lost in the woods and stumbles upon the cottage of the ...more
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
3.5 Stars

I think my plan was originally to read all of The Once and Future King and then review all the books at once. But oh well, to hell with that plan. I haven't started the other books in the collection and it's been like three months and I've been sidetracked by too many other things, so ... oops.

I will keep this pretty short since I am trying very frantically to catch up on reviews and I don't remember enough about what I was going to say to write a detailed review. This is what I get for
Amalie
“The Sword in the Stone” is the first book of “The Once and Future King” volumes written by T.H. White during the same period Tolkien was writing The Lord of the Rings and C.S Lewis creating the world of Narnia—other epic, fantasy novels, which gave birth to the new movement of magical realism—a movement in which magical elements are part of an otherwise realistic environment. The Once and Future King is such an Arthurian fantasy novel.

Although it might appear as a novel for young readers, it’s
Kate Forsyth
I had to re-read this book after reading Helen Macdonald’s extraordinary memoir H is for Hawk, which revealed much I did not know about T.H. White and his life and sorrows and struggles.

A classic of children’s fantasy, The Sword in the Stone is a funny and inventive story of King Arthur’s childhood. It was first published in 1938, but it feels incredibly fresh. Much of the book is made up of a series of set pieces in which Arthur (known as the Wart) is changed into different animals like a fish
Stacy
Jun 03, 2015 Stacy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ambleside-year-7
Let me just say that I am REALLY proud of myself for finishing this book. It's very well written and imaginative and descriptive, it's just not at all my genre. ;) So there were some days I had to tell myself, "Okay, 10 minutes of this book and then you can read whatever you want to read."

It's on the Ambleside Year 7 list for two of my kids for next year so I wanted to pre-read it, and if I'm going to have them read it, I figured I'd better read it, too. I loved the character of Wart, and Merly
Gabriele
Jun 14, 2015 Gabriele rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sono rimasto al quanto deluso da questo libro. Potrei essere forse influenzato dal film Disney da esso ispirato, ma non ho trovato l'ironia, la magia e "l'eccentricità" che mi aspettavo. Complice forse una pessima traduzione ho trovato la narrazione assai noiosa e prolissa. Anche le scene in teoria più epiche o divertenti sono descritte senza riuscire realmente a convincere e nessun personaggio riesce ad entrarti nel cuore. Credo proprio che per una volta il film si sia dimostrato migliore del l ...more
Denee
Apr 18, 2008 Denee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome story. It is the first part of the "Once and Future King." Everyone knows this story thanks to Walt Disney. The book is a fascinating mixture of modern and medival. It has King Arthur, Robin Wood (a.k.a. Robin Hood), Merlin, giants, witches, and more.
Kevin Xu
Dec 22, 2010 Kevin Xu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
different from the other three books in the Once and Future King
James
Apr 20, 2017 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a little hard to stay with the book but it was all worth it. The ending was pure but also bittersweet. It all tied together and was wrapped up nicely with a red now.
Jean-Marie
I love this telling of young Arthur's story.
Drew Graham
Jun 02, 2014 Drew Graham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: me
Young Wart lives in the castle of his guardian, Sir Ector, and studies jousting and riding and hawking alongside (and secondary to) Ector's son, Kay. When Wart meets the mysterious and mercurial wizard Merlyn in the Forest Sauvage roundabout the castle and is taken into the mage's tutelage, he finds he has quite a lot to learn, and also quite a destiny to fulfill.

I had always planned to read The Once and Future King in its entirety when I reached this movie in my Disney source material read-th
  • The Boy's King Arthur: Sir Thomas Malory's History of King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table
  • Warrior Scarlet
  • The Story of Sir Launcelot and His Companions
  • The Death of King Arthur
  • Mi Amigo El Pintor
  • King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table
  • The Crimson Fairy Book
  • Guinevere (Guinevere, #1)
  • Uncle
  • Sword of the Rightful King
  • Ash Road
  • The Seeing Stone (Arthur Trilogy, #1)
  • The Cuckoo Tree (The Wolves Chronicles, #6)
  • The Swish of the Curtain
  • The Golden Fleece and the Heroes Who Lived Before Achilles
  • Ascent
  • The Incredible Adventures of Professor Branestawm
  • The Story of the Treasure Seekers (Bastable Children, #1)
Born in Bombay to English parents, Terence Hanbury White was educated at Cambridge and taught for some time at Stowe before deciding to write full-time. White moved to Ireland in 1939 as a conscientious objector to WWII, and lived out his years there. White is best known for his sequence of Arthurian novels, "The Once and Future King", first published together in 1958.
More about T.H. White...

The Once and Future King (5 books)
  • The Witch in the Wood (The Once and Future King, #2)
  • The Ill-Made Knight (The Once and Future King, #3)
  • The Candle in the Wind (The Once and Future King, #4)
  • The Book of Merlyn (The Once and Future King, #5)

“The best thing for being sad ... is to learn something.” 92 likes
“Perhaps he does not want to be friends with you until he knows what you are like. With owls, it is never easy-come-easy-go.” 85 likes