Start by marking “The 10 Commandments of Money: Survive and Thrive in the New Economy” as Want to Read:
The 10 Commandments of Money: Survive and Thrive in the New Economy

The 10 Commandments of Money: Survive and Thrive in the New Economy

From the #1 personal finance columnist on the Internet (Nielsen/NetRatings)-a clear prescription for financial health in the 2010s and beyond.

For previous generations, living within your means was a simple formula. Now, with the staggering rise in education, health care, and housing costs, millions of people find themselves skating from paycheck to paycheck with no idea
Published January 20th 2011 by Hudson Street Press (first published December 10th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The 10 Commandments of Money, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 10 Commandments of Money

Kristen Rudd
Apr 26, 2011 Kristen Rudd rated it really liked it
Now, THIS is a personal finance book!

Weston takes ten facets of money management and makes cases for how to handle them in our post-recession reality. She identifies the way our parents and grandparents would have done it, says what the pre-bust "advice" was, and gives a new "rule" for how to get it done now.

The examples are relevant and there are no pithy anecdotes or catchy little phrases - just real, honest-to-goodness information about how things have changed, what we can expect, and how to
Andreia
One of the more helpful and straight forward books of this type. Lots of food for thought
Jamie
Feb 23, 2012 Jamie rated it it was amazing
VERY good, timely, current advice for handling your finances in this climate.
Anne
Dec 19, 2014 Anne rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
I found this very straightforward, concise and eye opening. She has a somewhat myopic obsession with retirement savings and credit unions, but does a good job of balancing her recommendations with what to do if you are nowhere near a position to be a savvy financial planner. Some of us, dare I say most of us, need to dig out of severe financial holes before acting on any of her future planning advise. Yet she does a great job of addressing most debt situations and what to tackle first.

I really
Connie  Kuntz
Mar 10, 2011 Connie Kuntz rated it really liked it
This is a mind-opening as opposed to mind-bending book about saving money. Because of this book, I have some fresh (but federally insured) approaches to spending and saving. If you are interested, read on:

I am opening three online "bucket" savings accounts through ING. My three buckets are:

(1) home,
(2) car and
(3) health.

The buckets are federally insured online savings accounts that link to our mortar-and-stone bank. Approaching finance with this detail makes sense to me. I wish I would have dis
Erin
Aug 23, 2014 Erin rated it it was amazing
I am loving this book (and I absolutely hate reading finance management books). I rarely give 5 stars to anything and I also am considering putting this book on my "best book this year" shelf... and did I mention I hate reading books about personal finance? Here's what I thought were the best aspects of this book:

#1. I love the way she explains everything in terms of "Old School Logic" versus "Bubble-Period Logic" versus "Post Economic Meltdown Logic". It's good to learn from the mistakes of the
Ben Edwards
Mar 10, 2013 Ben Edwards rated it it was amazing
Personal finance can be complicated if you dig down and try to analyze all the details of all the financial decisions you make. Getting bogged down in minute details can be frustrating and sometimes prevents you from actually taking action.

The thing I like about books like this one and Money Rules by Jean Chatzky is that they focus on the main things you need to get right. Don't be overwhelmed by all the financial acronyms and theories about the best way to invest or save. Simply focus on the mo
Thomas
This is full of practical advice, backed up with additional reading recommendations and additional opinions and perspectives. I am going to be examining my spending habits and planning towards future goals. I am also recommending this to friends who may need some financial counseling. There is no easy answer, and there is no one size fits all solution - but this book lays out the facts, backs them up, and provides one potential path through life's money maze in this post-recession new world.
Lori (Lara Britt) Sailiata
May 10, 2015 Lori (Lara Britt) Sailiata rated it it was amazing
Possibly THE best comprehensive personal finance book I've read this year. Detailed and smart, yet not overwhelming. Each chapter begins with the commonly held beliefs before the bubble and during the bubble that burst '08 and contrasts those to the more measured and mature zeitgeist one should embrace in the aftermath.
May 16, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was immensely helpful to me, even though it took me 5 months to finish it. I mostly read it on my phone, on the Kindle app, during moments where I found myself waiting!

Hot tip: The first chapter is super useful, and you get most of it from the Kindle sample. Highly recommend reading even just that much, and then deciding about the rest from there.

Not all of the chapters were that useful to me, and it's definitely written for an American (not Canadian) audience. However, the budgeting
Allen Herring
Jul 28, 2015 Allen Herring rated it liked it
first part of book I'd good. second half would be useful when I enter a relationship.
Gorette Hunter
Jul 11, 2016 Gorette Hunter rated it really liked it
My To Do list has gotten longer. Lots of good tips to ensure financial health
Steve
Feb 28, 2013 Steve rated it really liked it
Really good book that contained really good explanations. I would have given it 5 stars, but Liz Weston is touting (like many others, so she is not a special case) that earning 8% in the stock market is still expected. The only problem with this 8% "fact" is that some statisticians took the best case numbers in any 30-year period and said that there's never been a 30-year period where the S&P didn't return at least 8%. Well... that would depend on when you got in and when you got out in thos ...more
Louise Silk
Mar 28, 2011 Louise Silk rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
This is well worth reading. The author covers all of the important financial topics and brings us up to date as to the best way to handle money in these challenging time.

Particularly important was the chapter on how to create a budget- giving the 50/30/20 rules to know what I can really afford and how to begin to actually save some money. Also, the new idea about starting to save as much as possible for retirement while I am working and able and not assuming I will be able to live on social sec
Elizabeth
Jan 31, 2012 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
The beginning of the year is always a good time to look over your finances, and this book can help you with general ideas of how to make a plan. Each chapter delves into different areas from reducing debt to saving to retirement and many other things in between. Particularly valuable is the first chapter on budgeting. Overall a good beginning to taking control of your money, but readers will probably have to supplement with other books that go into more detail.
Mohammed Roshdy
Jan 29, 2015 Mohammed Roshdy rated it it was ok
Low relevancy to Egyptian lyfestyle
Chelsea
Jan 15, 2014 Chelsea added it
Shelves: 2014-books
Had to read this for a class, and was pleasantly surprised. First text book I've read in its entirety.
Karla
Jan 10, 2013 Karla rated it really liked it
Shelves: 300
Great place to start if you want to get your finances in order. I listened to the audio book, and felt like I was getting good advice from a friend. It's mostly common sense information for the average person that's read a few personal finance books. I certainly learned a some new tips, and it got me thinking about some money issues I hadn't read much on in the past.
Godfrey
Mar 27, 2014 Godfrey rated it it was amazing
Simply extraordinary!
Melanie
Nov 04, 2011 Melanie rated it liked it
Listened to this book on cd...definitely gave me a lot of good info regarding finances and investing and such. Some of it was a bit ahead of me with home buying, etc, but in general, had a lot of great saving ideas. Will prob read/listen to again at some point!
Anthony Cox
May 05, 2011 Anthony Cox rated it liked it
Shelves: personal-finance
Listened to the audio book. It was pretty good. She does a good job of explaining the differences between how the old school thoughts were verses the 90's thoughts versus today's ways of looking at financial decisions (i.e buying a house, saving for retirement, etc.)
Adrienna
It was an okay audio book. Speaker was great, a woman, with a calming and soothing voice. Most of the stuff shared, I already read in the past or heard, or experienced through trial and error. I only took a short passage of notes.
Tressa
Jun 13, 2011 Tressa rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a good overview regarding the various aspects of personal finance. I did learn several new items, which I found helpful. There were a few chapters that don't apply to me now, but was good background for the future.
Brenda Royce
Aug 28, 2012 Brenda Royce rated it liked it
Workmanlike explanation of many personal finance topics. But while the book claims an emphasis on post-collapse paradigms, I found much of the advice to be the old tried-and-true. Nothing groundbreaking, but all solid advice.
Kristen
Apr 20, 2011 Kristen rated it liked it
I've been on a personal finance kick lately, and this is one of the better ones i've read. It's as straightforward and basic as it gets, which is great for someone like me who is still learning.
Judi
Jul 23, 2012 Judi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Weston didn't offer a lot for retirees like me but, skimming the book, I think she probably presents a decent guide for those trying to get a handle on their finances.
John
Jul 08, 2011 John rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book to help anyone manage their money; and if you're not well-versed in money-management, it's even more important!!

I recommend it for everybody!!
Jennybeast
Apr 30, 2014 Jennybeast rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid advice dispensed in a very accessible, readable format. I like her attitude, and I think what she has to say is very useful.
Liz
Feb 12, 2013 Liz rated it really liked it
Shelves: finance
Recommended. One of the better written, and more realistic, finance books that I've read in a while.
Jack Goodstein
Jan 08, 2012 Jack Goodstein rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: economics
Common sense advice for financial security in the post bubble economy, albeit a bit repetitious.
  • Raising Financially Fit Kids
  • How Much Is Enough?: Everything You Need to Know to Steer Clear of Overindulgence and Raise Likeable, Responsible and Respectful Ch
  • Suze Orman's 2009 Action Plan: Keeping Your Money Safe & Sound
  • The Future Church: How Ten Trends are Revolutionizing the Catholic Church
  • The $1,000 Challenge: How One Family Slashed Its Budget Without Moving Under a Bridge or Living on Government Cheese
  • Quirky Kids: Understanding and Helping Your Child Who Doesn't Fit In- When to Worry and When Not to Worry
  • When the Hurt Runs Deep: Healing and Hope for Life's Desperate Moments
  • The First National Bank of Dad: The Best Way to Teach Kids About Money
  • Who Was Maria Tallchief?
  • Prince Charming Isn't Coming: How Women Get Smart About Money
  • After the Ice: Life, Death, and Geopolitics in the New Arctic
  • Grow a Little Fruit Tree: Simple Pruning Techniques for Small-Space, Easy-Harvest Fruit Trees
  • Why Johnny Can't Read--And What You Can Do About It