Start by marking “Close Encounters” as Want to Read:
Close Encounters

Close Encounters

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  341 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Lee Grafton is a divorced cop and the father of a teenage girl. Carol Taggart is a newly single professor. Their lives collide one night when Carol is caught in the crossfire of an undercover drug sting gone south. Shot and seriously wounded, she finds an unexpected friend in Lee . . . unaware that the man she’s falling for could be the shooter.

Twenty years on the street d
Published July 1st 2000 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about Close Encounters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Close Encounters

Cheryl
This book was so amazing. Everything about it was well done. I loved that fact that it was not thrown together and I did not spend all my time mentally correcting typos and grammar problems. IT really was a true romance book that focused on not only relationships between the main character but also between other characters. The people in the story had real lives and real feelings and realistic ways of dealing with things. I found it to be a breath of fresh air.
Ruth
I'll be honest, but I don't usually much go for contemporaries. It's not that I have anything against contemporary romances, but I find them quite disappointing more often than not, and it seems to be a genre that's populated with quite a few authors who churn them out on an industrial scale. Every now and then I make the mistake of picking one up, which puts me off the whole genre for a while.

This one, provided by the published through netgalley, was a real eye-opener and I thoroughly enjoyed r
Julian Froment
I really enjoyed this book. It had a fast paced plot, with numerous twists and turns along the way. There are a number of interesting subplots that bleed into the action of the main plot, that are all tied up nicely before the final resolution of the story.

This book was a great romance, but it was so much more than simply that. This book had many of the elements of a great crime story. In addition it dealt with a number of difficult topics of an interracial nature.

The action began almost immedia
Ionia
This is a daring and complex novel with well thought out characters and a quickly paced plot. I was immediately impressed with this book for two reasons:

It doesn't take long for the action to begin, and even in the short space of time before it does, you come to know one of the characters well enough to care about what happens to them.

One of the reasons I wanted to keep turning pages in this story, was that it wasn't just a simple romance. The characters face adversity and have to make tough d
Julie
Close Encounters by Sandra Kitt was originally published in 2000. The book is being released in digital format by Open Road Intergrated Media. I received a copy of this book from the publisher and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. This book was read as part of the Goodreads Reto Romance group hosted by Open Road media.

Carol is taking her dog for a walk early one morning and gets caught in the line of fire during a police sting operation. She was in the wrong place at the wrong time and
Andrea Guy
Close Encounters was originally published in 2000, which makes me wonder why the color lines seemed so antiquated.

The focus of the book is on Carol Taggart a professor who got in the middle of a take down while walking her dog at an ungodly hour of the morning.

That's where the story started to go wrong for me. I can't deal with the death of an animal in a book and it happened so early on.

I was hoping for a more cutting edge romance between Carol and Lee, but instead there was more about "the ca
Shayna
Sandra Kitt never disappoints
NomdePlumePress
I’ve had more than the usual number of opportunities this month to read romances featuring couples from different racial and cultural backgrounds. Refreshing! So much more like my life! I’ve even been serializing my own novel featuring an interracial couple here and on Wattpad. I didn’t set out to write an interracial romance; that was just what came naturally. Because so many couples in my life have very different backgrounds, it just seemed logical to include the same in at least one of my wor ...more
--karen Green-berry
A Beautiful Story- BRAB ONLINE BOOK CLUB

I am fast becoming a fan of this author. I love a great storyteller who gets so caught up in the characters, you forget they're fictional. Such is the case with Leo and Carol's story.

Carol and Leo's first encounter is when she was caught up in a police undercover operation, and was shot and injured. Their subsequent encounters which led to a friendship and romance, is a delightful story.
Kari
Close Encounters deals with a lot of different issues that still hold up to be relevant 13 years after it was first published. Taken on the surface, it is a sweet romance suspense between a policeman and the woman he mistakenly shot in a botched sting operation. Lee and Carol have an intense chemistry that they can't deny. I thought they were a great couple and I found myself rooting for them to work out.

Woven into the story, the author has included the issues of race relations between the poli
Lavern
I saw this book one day on the book shelf at Half Price Books about 10 years ago when I first started reading interracial stories. I still have this book in paperback. It was in pretty good shape when I bought it. Now, it is a well-read paperback. This book will always stay on my shelf. There a a few books that I go back and reread just bacause with this being the main one. No matter how many times I read this book, it will always be a 5 star read for me.
Maria
Jan 29, 2009 Maria rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Maria by: Jayne Ann Krentz
Fast-paced with interesting twists and turns, this book rates well as to readability and suspense. However, it could have delved more deeply into the issues of bi-racial relationships. Instead it dealt mainly with conflict of interest issues of police versus victim, some of which, admittedly, were racial but could just as easily have not had anything to do with racial issues.
Amanda
Well written and a great suspenseful read. This book was better than I expected it to be.
Melody
3, 5 étoiles (4 étoiles pour la première lecture et 3 pour la deuxième.)
M

This description is for another SK novel, not this one.
Karen1976
love this book u should read it
Sharon Huxford
This was my first IR romance
katrina sanders
katrina sanders marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Karast
Karast added it
Mar 25, 2015
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Bree
Bree marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Staci
Staci added it
Feb 07, 2015
  • No Commitment Required
  • I'll Be Your Shelter
  • Crush
  • Greeley's Spyce (The Megalodon Team, #4)
  • Being Plumville
  • Finding Opa! (The Lonely Hearts, #2)
  • Choices
  • Rock Star (Rockers of Storm Crow #1)
  • Something Real
  • Twist of Fate
  • Love's Redemption
  • Better Late Than Never (The Smith Sister's Trilogy #1)
  • At Last
  • Stranded
  • The Rancher's Ultimatum
Sandra Kitt is the author of more than twenty novels, including The Color of Love, Significant Others, and Close Encounters, as well as numerous short stories.

Her work has been nominated for the NAACP Image Award and has appeared on theEssence and Blackboard bestseller lists. She is the recipient of the Romantic Times Lifetime Achievement Award and the Zora Neale Hurston Literary Award.

A native N
More about Sandra Kitt...
The Color of Love Between Friends Significant Others Adam and Eva She's the One

“...She expected people to accept her for who she was. But she never really accepted herself.” 7 likes
“You flatter yourself...you're too young for me to take you seriously.” 4 likes