On the Edge

On the Edge

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  7 reviews
At 28 years of age, Charlie Carroll finds himself teaching English to nice children in a nice school. It's the perfect job - so why is he so bored? This is a shocking but humorous diary of life in a world most of us never see.
Published September 1st 2010 by Monday (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about On the Edge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On the Edge

Lisa Martin
I read this after a friend posted her review on here. Like her, I found the book extremely interesting. I felt it was more than a little on the self-indulgent side, but sometimes a person has to be self-indulgent in order to do something worth writing about.

I told some of the kids I teach the premise of the book today - about how a teacher got bored and decided to work as a supply teacher in a succession of tough inner-city schools. The responses were split between "why on earth would anyone wa...more
Tome
I have an embarrassing secret, I absolutely love 'reality TV' books, you know the ones, following the life of people doing everyday jobs. They are often trashy and written by cynics disenchanted with their careers but they are the perfect book when you don't want a long detailed plot, just something to read. Monday Books seems to be the preferred publisher of this genre, and I have read most of their books in one form or another.

On The Edge: One teacher, a camper van, Britain's toughest schools...more
Allana
A gripping read, with one earnest young teacher's mission to explore some of the most challenging schools. It is a journey which sees him embark upon an interesting expedition as a supply teacher, with one remit - to see the most difficult schools in the most notorious of locations. He has some shocking tales to tell but also some heart warming ones and I admired both his tenacity and his sense of adventure. It is an eye-opener to discover how teachers are treated at some of the country's toughe...more
Sandra "Jeanz"
This book was about a guy who handed his notice in at a perfectly good school and job to go off in a camper van as a substitute teacher. He covers all different areas of the UK. He signs on with an agency and actually asks to work in the problem schools.
The book covers the funny, the sad, the scary and stupid in our schools....and then it covers stories about the kids too and how they interact with substitute teachers.
It was okay though I think I spoiled it somewhat for myself by reading it so c...more
Aaron Jacob Jones
Eye opening and gritty account of a year working as a supply teacher in some shockingly bad schools. Makes you fear for the future and realise that is something doesn't change, many of the next generation will be doomed.
Paul Kane
Some of the anecdotes are interesting. The travel writing is dull and the opinions limited and predictable.
Rose
Readable, but nothing particularly new to say.
Helen Gregory
Helen Gregory is currently reading it
Jul 17, 2014
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Ian Yorston
Ian Yorston marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Fiona
Fiona marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
No Fixed Abode: A Journey Through Homelessness from Cornwall to London The Friendship Highway: Two Journeys in Tibet Peaks on the Horizon: Two Journeys in Tibet