Start by marking “On the Edge” as Want to Read:
On the Edge

On the Edge

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  92 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
At 28 years of age, Charlie Carroll finds himself teaching English to nice children in a nice school. It's the perfect job - so why is he so bored? This is a shocking but humorous diary of life in a world most of us never see.
Published September 1st 2010 by Monday (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about On the Edge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On the Edge

Lisa Martin
I read this after a friend posted her review on here. Like her, I found the book extremely interesting. I felt it was more than a little on the self-indulgent side, but sometimes a person has to be self-indulgent in order to do something worth writing about.

I told some of the kids I teach the premise of the book today - about how a teacher got bored and decided to work as a supply teacher in a succession of tough inner-city schools. The responses were split between "why on earth would anyone wa
Jenni
Dec 09, 2014 Jenni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have an embarrassing secret, I absolutely love 'reality TV' books, you know the ones, following the life of people doing everyday jobs. They are often trashy and written by cynics disenchanted with their careers but they are the perfect book when you don't want a long detailed plot, just something to read. Monday Books seems to be the preferred publisher of this genre, and I have read most of their books in one form or another.

On The Edge: One teacher, a camper van, Britain's toughest schools
Allana
Mar 25, 2012 Allana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A gripping read, with one earnest young teacher's mission to explore some of the most challenging schools. It is a journey which sees him embark upon an interesting expedition as a supply teacher, with one remit - to see the most difficult schools in the most notorious of locations. He has some shocking tales to tell but also some heart warming ones and I admired both his tenacity and his sense of adventure. It is an eye-opener to discover how teachers are treated at some of the country's toughe ...more
Sandra "Jeanz"
Aug 03, 2011 Sandra "Jeanz" rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebooks
This book was about a guy who handed his notice in at a perfectly good school and job to go off in a camper van as a substitute teacher. He covers all different areas of the UK. He signs on with an agency and actually asks to work in the problem schools.
The book covers the funny, the sad, the scary and stupid in our schools....and then it covers stories about the kids too and how they interact with substitute teachers.
It was okay though I think I spoiled it somewhat for myself by reading it so c
Aaron Jacob Jones
Oct 12, 2013 Aaron Jacob Jones rated it really liked it
Eye opening and gritty account of a year working as a supply teacher in some shockingly bad schools. Makes you fear for the future and realise that is something doesn't change, many of the next generation will be doomed.
Paul Kane
Some of the anecdotes are interesting. The travel writing is dull and the opinions limited and predictable.
Rose
Readable, but nothing particularly new to say.
Anthony Evans
Anthony Evans rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2016
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2016
Jo
Jo rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2016
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it really liked it
May 31, 2016
Tracey Coombs
Tracey Coombs marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Lola Mac
Lola Mac rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2016
Lucy Spencer
Lucy Spencer rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2016
Sarah rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2016
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2016
Gordon Chalmers
Gordon Chalmers rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2016
bookworm
bookworm rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2016
Charlie B
Charlie B rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2016
Danielle
Danielle rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2016
David Williams
David Williams rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2016
Jake Parker
Jake Parker rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2016
Andy Carter
Andy Carter rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Mark
Mark added it
Jan 03, 2016
Laura Martin
Laura Martin rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2016
Gineke
Gineke added it
Dec 29, 2015
Helen Marie Crook
Helen Marie Crook rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Isabell Long
Isabell Long rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2015