Start by marking “From Jim Crow to Civil Rights: The Supreme Court and the Struggle for Racial Equality” as Want to Read:

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  63 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
A monumental investigation of the Supreme Court's rulings on race, From Jim Crow To Civil Rights spells out in compelling detail the political and social context within which the Supreme Court Justices operate and the consequences of their decisions for American race relations. In a highly provocative interpretation of the decision's connection to the civil rights movement ...more
Published May 4th 2006 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published December 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about From Jim Crow to Civil Rights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Jim Crow to Civil Rights

Tempest Devyne
Jan 05, 2015 Tempest Devyne rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
Absolutely excellent book but one unfortunately I will have to return to at a later date as a lot of it is very specific and relies on you having a good working knowledge of US history (which as a Brit only living here 4ish years and not knowing very little about the Civil Rights movement and virtually nothing about the background to it from the end of the Civil War, I don't have as we aren't taught anything about American History other than the War of Independence, the Civil War and the Cold Wa ...more
Ezzy
Nov 15, 2012 Ezzy rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
Informative about the legal process to obtaining civil rights for African Americans, but extremely dry and felt quite repetitive. I read this book along with "Why We Can't Wait" by Martin Luther King Jr, which is so moving, this book seemed to say nothing by comparison.
However, it's loaded with information and aspects about the legislative and legal barriers that I knew nothing about. It's hard to imagine all of it today.
Sonya
May 18, 2013 Sonya rated it really liked it
This was very specific and took me awhile to finish because I was not familiar with everything so it required some research into other topics so that I could follow the readings, but it was well worth while and I will probably re-read and use a reference tool for my art and papers.
Whitney
Sep 30, 2007 Whitney rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: history channel watchers
Klarman was my professor at UVa, and this book reads just like his lectures. The book is dense, but is well written and the legal history is fascinating enough to have kept me interested.
Richard Pace
Did not finish.
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Gordon Glass
Gordon Glass marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Allison Page
Allison Page marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Osita Nwanevu
Osita Nwanevu marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Annette
Annette marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Tyler Ostergaard
Tyler Ostergaard marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Sandra E Sledge
Sandra E Sledge rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
David Trisdale
David Trisdale is currently reading it
Apr 08, 2016
Sanat Daga
Sanat Daga marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Haylee
Haylee is currently reading it
Apr 06, 2016
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Sophia
Sophia marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Renee Jones
Renee Jones rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2016
Janessa garza
Janessa garza marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Leonard Holt
Leonard Holt marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Pamela Parson
Pamela Parson marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
John
John marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2016
Camille Hall
Camille Hall marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
CATHY FANN
CATHY FANN rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2016
Krista
Krista marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Anthony R Menichini
Anthony R Menichini marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Susan Skinner
Susan Skinner marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
  • Root and Branch: Charles Hamilton Houston, Thurgood Marshall, and the Struggle to End Segregation
  • Sweet Land of Liberty: The Forgotten Struggle for Civil Rights in the North
  • Supreme Power: Franklin Roosevelt vs. the Supreme Court
  • Simple Justice: The History of Brown v. Board of Education and Black America's Struggle for Equality
  • The Second Bill of Rights: FDR's Unfinished Revolution--And Why We Need It More Than Ever
  • America, Russia and the Cold War 1945-2006
  • The Strange Career of Jim Crow
  • Flawed Giant: Lyndon Johnson and His Times 1961-1973
  • In the Shadow of the Poorhouse: A Social History of Welfare in America
  • A Nation Under Our Feet: Black Political Struggles in the Rural South from Slavery to the Great Migration
  • American Crucible: Race and Nation in the Twentieth Century
  • The Liberal Hour: Washington and the Politics of Change in the 1960s
  • Cold War Civil Rights: Race and the Image of American Democracy
  • The Beloved Community: How Faith Shapes Social Justice, From the Civil Rights Movement to Today
  • Affairs of Honor: National Politics in the New Republic