Start by marking “The Blue Door” as Want to Read:
The Blue Door

The Blue Door (Eddie Cero Mystery #1)

As welterweight boxer Eddie Cero makes his way home through a dark Philadelphia alley, he steps in on two punks beating up an older man. It’s a favor that’s going to turn Eddie’s life upside down. Sal Giambroni buys Eddie a round and offers him a part-time gig helping with his private-detective work. Despite Eddie’s reluctance, a few days on the job reveal that he has a kn ...more
Published January 7th 2008 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about The Blue Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blue Door

Michael
Dammit, it was another detective "noir" book. You'd think people would get tired of writing these tales, or that I'd get smart and quit reading them. Guess not. And the bruise on my jaw said it loudest. There's no moving some people without a stick, especially me, and I knew I'd get no answers today. It was turning into a drizzly night in this beat-up town, so's you could barely see the neon through the fog. What a day. I needed to get out of the cold and have a drink or ten, then maybe a visit ...more
Mark
Jan 20, 2008 Mark rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of David Liss' early novels
Recommended to Mark by: Jason Schmitt
My friend, Jason, recommended this book as it's a local Atlanta author and someone we were going to go see at a reading. I'd never heard of him (the author, not Jason).

Still, pretty good book. Reminds me a bit of a 20th-Century version of David Liss's novels. Protagonist is welterweight boxer at the end of his career who falls into private investigations because it kind of came along. He has a knack for it and takes on a three-year old cold case in what becomes a very compelling story line.

The s
Viccy
Jan 20, 2010 Viccy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This new stand-alone, featuring “Fast” Eddie Cero, broken-down boxer, is another winner from David Fulmer, Shamus Award winning author. After one too many beatings in the ring, Eddie decides to hang up his boxing gloves and join Sal Giambroni in SG Confidential Investigations. In the course of their first case, Eddie discovers he has a knack for snooping and he and Sal take down Walter Stollman, who is embezzling from his employer and wants to take off with his secretary. In the glow of this suc ...more
Bonnie
Jun 13, 2008 Bonnie rated it it was amazing
This was excellent. I was craving a gumshoe, P.I. kind of book, and this hit the spot.

Eddie Cero is a down on his luck boxer in the '70's, and, one night he comes across a man getting beat up by some thugs. He rescues him, and it ends up that he's a P.I. who then offers Eddie a job. Eddie has nothing better to do, so he takes him up on the offer, and then discovers he has a knack for the job.

Things seem to be meant to be when he sees a woman singing in a night club, and discovers that she is th
LJ
THE BLUE DOOR (Unlicensed Investigator-Eddie Cero-Philadelphia-1962) - VG
Fulmer, David – Standalone
Harcourt, Inc., 2008, US Hardcover ISBN: 9780151011810

First Sentence: At ten thirty on the night of March 24, 1962, Eddie Cero walked out the back door of the Southside Boxing Club in Philadelphia with a bloody bandage over his eyebrow and forty dollars cash in his pocket.

Welter-weight boxer Eddie Cero, leaving a less-than-successful bout, rescues a man from being beat up. –Salvatore “Sal” Giambro
Arlen
Congrats, Mr. Fulmer, on bringing us someone we'd never expect to be a sleuth, for writing a true music lover, on leaving us some good guys in the spirit of the law (not just the letter of it). When Eddie Cero stares in the face of the possible end of his boxing career, he sees a tough row to hoe. Note, I listened to the audiobook version, and it sounded like a great film noir. So my 5 stars is for the audiobook.
Zoomball
I am kind of at a loss about what to say about this book, which is a bit unusual for me. First of all, I listened to the audio version which was well done. Everyone knows what is meant when a book is described as "chick lit". But is there an opposite gender equivalent? That's what I think of this book....
Paul Peden
Jul 21, 2014 Paul Peden rated it it was amazing
I loved it. I just love his writer's voice. I felt the same way about the Valentin St Cyr stories. And I'm just grateful that he happens to lend that voice to my favorite genre. Mystery writers are the best!!
Read this
Tapley
May 03, 2008 Tapley rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
When ex-fighter Eddie Cero takes up with a private investigator to make a little cash, he finds himself drawn to the 3-year-old disappearance of a local musician. This story deals with racial tension and the dark underbelly of human behavior, but for all that it is a story with great heart. David Fulmer transports his readers to 1960’s Philadelphia, and somehow manages to make his gritty setting feel like home.
Steve
May 14, 2008 Steve rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: mystery & crime readers
Recommended to Steve by: saw it at the bookstore
Shelves: read-in-2008
This is a well-written crime novel, set in 1960 Philadelphia. The main character is an ex-boxer who becomes an assistant to a private investigator. His fixation on a singer and the mysterious disappearance of her brother distracts him from his duties and soon lands him in trouble. This is lots of fun to read, and highly recommended. I especially love the music references and the attention to detail.
HÜLYA
May 12, 2013 HÜLYA rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yazarı çok başarılı buldugumu söylemelıyım. Olayları o kadar güzel kurgulamiş ki,Başlarda çok sakin olan roman sayfalar ilerledıkce tansıyonu yavas yavaş yükselip,bir anda heyecan son raddinı buluyor.Olayların 1962 yılında geçmesi o tarihlerden kesitler vermesi çok güzeldi.Kitabın sonuna doğru olaylar birdenbire hızlanıyor.kendinizi olayların içinde buluyorsunuz.
Katrina Gonsalves
Nov 06, 2009 Katrina Gonsalves rated it really liked it
Although not set in New Orleans, I think I liked it more than his Chasing the Devil's Tail. Interesting characters, and all very believable.
Ronn
Apr 13, 2012 Ronn rated it really liked it
I liked this almost as much as Fulmer's Storeyville series. I hope there's more books with these characters coming.
Robert Lamb
Good novel. I recommend it.
Debbie Maskus
Jul 26, 2009 Debbie Maskus rated it liked it
#1 Eddie Cero
Katie
Jul 18, 2012 Katie added it
My favorite of his
Krista
Krista rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2016
Rabia
Rabia marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Vulco1
Vulco1 marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Perry Dugger
Perry Dugger rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2016
Denise Maserang
Denise Maserang marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Kathy
Kathy rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2016
Renee
Renee rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2016
Larry Shelton
Larry Shelton rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2016
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2016
William Shieber
William Shieber rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Angela Autrey
Angela Autrey is currently reading it
Jan 24, 2016
Patricia Starkebaum
Patricia Starkebaum rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
David Fulmer has been a writer and producer for over twenty-five years.

Series:
* Valentin St. Cyr Mystery
* Eddie Cero Mystery
More about David Fulmer...