Start by marking “Cathleen Ni Houlihan” as Want to Read:
Cathleen Ni Houlihan

Cathleen Ni Houlihan

THIS 20 PAGE ARTICLE WAS EXTRACTED FROM THE BOOK: Representative British Dramas Victorian and Modern V2, by William Butler Yeats.
Published December 1st 2005 by Kessinger Publishing (first published 1902)

To ask other readers questions about Cathleen Ni Houlihan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cathleen Ni Houlihan

Josh Belville
Sep 29, 2011 Josh Belville rated it liked it
Shelves: play
One of the first things I noticed while reading Cathleen ni Houlihan is how much it resembles a Japanese noh play. "That's quite a lofty thought," I said to myself, "but it's okay because you're a grad student." Here you have characters who are joined by the shite, the Old Woman, who, by being there and imparting her wisdom, changes this household for good. So quickly, too, and by speaking of Ireland's history. And you could say that Michael is the waki, and is "travelling" to his marriage (so t ...more
Akylina
Mar 11, 2015 Akylina rated it liked it
Shelves: theatre, classics
You can see my review over at The Literary Sisters as well.

The first book I decided to review for the Reading Ireland Month is none other than W.B. Yeats' play 'Cathleen Ni Houlihan'. Written in 1902 and performed in April of the same year in Dublin, it is a play of great symbolic and historic significance for Ireland and the turbulent period it refers to.

'Cathleen Ni Houlihan' is set in an Irish village during the Rebellion of 1798 against the British and it follows a critical moment in the liv
Debbi
W. B. Yeats è uno dei miei poeti preferiti, senza dubbio. Ora posso dire di apprezzare anche la sua vena teatrale, e molto.
Questo atto unico è struggente nella sua brevità, un concentrato di battute poetiche, che donano al testo teatrale qualcosa di magico. La Old Woman eponima sarà anche una figura propria del folklore irlandese, ma quel che succede nell'opera, chi e come sono i personaggi, i sentimenti sottostanti alle songs, tutto può essere compreso e condiviso.
(Ora vorrei solo poterla veder
Briynne
May 23, 2007 Briynne rated it it was amazing
I read this while putting together an exhibit on Irish Literature relating to the 1916 Easter Rising for my Rare Books seminar last semester. It's a tiny play, but really good. It's exactly what I want out of Irish literature - nationalistic, proud, sad, and poignant. Plus, Maud Gonne played Cathleen when it first opened, and I just love the whole unrequited love thing Yeats had with her.
Melanie
Sep 13, 2015 Melanie rated it really liked it
An outstanding play with some particularly poignant messages about patriotism, war, and national identity. All fans of literature should read this at least once.
Adriano Abreu
Apr 14, 2016 Adriano Abreu rated it liked it
Shelves: plays
Não costumo ser um leitor avido de teatro. Foi a minha primeira experiência com Yeats e algo escrito sobre a Irlanda. Tenho a dizer que não foi má de todo. Gostei de todo o misticismo à volta da Poor Old Woman. Possivelmente não entendi referências culturais relativas à Irlanda.

Relativamente às personagens tenho a dizer apenas o Peter e a Bridget se revelaram personagens que não vão de acordo com as minhas éticas. Já que o filho [Michael] iria casar, seus pais decidiram sucumbir ao oportunismo e
Zan
Oct 26, 2011 Zan rated it really liked it
Sometimes I forget how multifaceted Yeats is. I also forget how sinister some of his mysticism can be.

This short play is based in 1798 in Ireland when the French arrived to help the Irish with their rebellion. Cathleen Ni Houlihan is a mystical old woman who appears in the house of a family preparing for their son's marriage. By the end of the play Cathleen convinces Michael (the groom) to leave the house to meet the French.

Yeats' nationalism abounds in this play. I loved our class discussion ab
Molly
Jul 20, 2016 Molly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: college, 2008
An old woman arrives at an Irish family's home as they are making preparations for the marriage of their oldest son. She tells the family her sad tale of Irish heroes who have given their lives for her. She ultimately lures the groom away to join the Irish rebellion of 1798.

This is very interesting from a historical standpoint. It helped spread Irish nationalism and may have contributed to the 1916 Easter Rising. I also found it interesting how Yeats and Lady Gregory used folklore in the play. G
Paula Soper
Nov 03, 2011 Paula Soper rated it it was amazing
Can I possibly love Yeats more? Yes, because he was smart enough to work with Augusta Gregory! This play is gorgeous and, as Zan says, multi-faceted.

I love that they together created the new face for the spirit of Ireland. I love Henry Merritt's analysis which sees Cathleen as a vampire. Wow!
Maureen Kudlik
Feb 23, 2013 Maureen Kudlik rated it it was amazing
The battle cry for any Irish Revival artist/follower. Produces a love for Ireland and introduces Cathleen, the daughter of Houlihan who becomes the symbol for Ireland, herself. Moving, powerful and written for the Abbey Theatre.
Conrado
Conrado rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2008
Fiona
Fiona rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2012
Shaista Hussain
Shaista Hussain rated it liked it
Nov 05, 2016
Cate
Cate rated it it was ok
Apr 14, 2016
Fredericke
Fredericke rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2015
Abbygail Wood
Abbygail Wood rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2013
Joana
Joana rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2015
Sarah rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2011
Steven Mccusker
Steven Mccusker rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2013
Faith
Faith rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2011
Fenia
Fenia rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2014
Sarah Bertekap
Sarah Bertekap rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2016
Síofra
Síofra rated it it was ok
Nov 02, 2016
Õun
Õun rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2013
Maddy
Maddy rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2015
Jaimie Engelken
Jaimie Engelken rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2015
Boro
Boro rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2016
James Caulfield
James Caulfield rated it it was ok
Dec 09, 2014
Caroline Hughes
Caroline Hughes rated it it was ok
Feb 29, 2016
Marija
Marija rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2013
  • The Beauty Queen of Leenane
  • The Cure at Troy: A Version of Sophocles' Philoctetes
  • Inventing Ireland
  • One by One in the Darkness
  • The Fattening of America: How the Economy Makes Us Fat, If It Matters, and What to Do about It
  • The Hostage
  • Pygmalion & Major Barbara
William Butler Yeats (pronounced /ˈjeɪts/) was an Irish poet and dramatist, and one of the foremost figures of 20th century literature. A pillar of both the Irish and British literary establishments, in his later years Yeats served as an Irish Senator for two terms. He was a driving force behind the Irish Literary Revival, and along with Lady Gregory and Edward Martyn founded the Abbey Theatre, se ...more
More about W.B. Yeats...

“It is a hard service they take that help me. Many that are red-cheeked now will be pale-cheeked; many that have been free to walk the hills and the bogs and the rushes will be sent to walk hard streets in far countries; many a good plan will be broken; many that have gathered money will not stay to spend it; many a child will be born, and there will be no father at its christening to give it a name. They that had red cheeks will have pale cheeks for my sake; and for all that, they will think they are well paid.” 5 likes