Start by marking “A Full Moon Is Rising” as Want to Read:
A Full Moon Is Rising

A Full Moon Is Rising

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  22 reviews
A children's book takes readers on a whirlwind tour of the world to discover an amazing collection of full moon celebrations, beliefs, customs, and facts. We'll visit India, Israel, Morocco, China, Australia, and many more places.
Published June 1st 2011 by Lee & Low Books (first published May 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Full Moon Is Rising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Full Moon Is Rising

Meghan Raykovich
This book is full of poems that are written in cities across the world. The introduction to the book even has some science material about the moon that would be helpful for my students. I would love to read this during the last couple weeks of school as this is when we have our astronomy unit in science and our literacy teacher is doing poetry with students.
The illustrations do a great job of staying culturally true to each location across the world. It allows students to see what traditional c
Travis Morgan
This collection of poetry takes a look at the lives of people from around the world and how they view the Earth's moon. It's novel to me that the author thought of using the moon to unite all kids around the moon. We are live on Earth, and we all share the same moon. This book can be used to teach poetry, aspects of various countries and countries around the world, and even the phases of the moon.
In addition, the illustrations in this book are phenominal. I have never seen such amazing watercolo
Sharon
This isn't so much a read-along as it is a narrated companion. There's plenty to please the ear and the eye, with Marilyn Singer's glorious poems, Julia Cairns's luscious, full-bleed watercolor paintings, and the culturally themed musical underbed by Chris Kubie for each poem. Meant for older reader/listeners, there are no page-turn signals, but there's no problem identifying when to turn the page.

The straightforward narration of the end notes works well and provides additional information.

Live
Stacy Ford
Scarlett Sims
Singer's delightful book of poetry shows people from around the world all living under the same moon. The poems reflect geographic diversity and also the different ways different cultures view the moon. Notes in the back explain a bit of background behind each poem.

Each poem stands well by itself, so for a class or storytime focused on one country or culture, or even one style of poem, it could be used in conjunction with other materials. The book contains some information about the moon, so it
Vidya Tiru
Beautiful paintings and poems illustrate how the same wonderful moon is viewed across the world by children as they lead their daily lives. We are taken on a colorful journey woven in short flowing poems as children from Australia, China, India, Israel, the U.S., Colombia, Mali, Mexico, Canada, Turkey, South Africa.

I loved all the poems and the bright, detailed, descriptive watercolors accompanying them but my favorite lines are from one poem set in Cape Town, South Africa
“Such smart children.”
Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie
This review is copied from my book review blog, The Towering Pile. Original review: http://thetoweringpile.blogspot.com/2...

A Full Moon is Rising is a delightul children's book about how people around the world celebrate the full moon. Each page contains a poem set in a different place, along with a beautiful illustration.

At the back of the book, there are a few pages of explanations of the poems, which help to put them into context. The one complaint I have is that I got so much more out of the
April Voss
A Full Moon is Rising is a strong collection of poetry that takes a deep look at the lives of people from around the world. All of these people have the same moon and this is something that unites everyone around the world. This book is composed of many poems and each shares a little about life there. Some of the poems include repetition and rhyming making this an excellent book to use for teaching poetry.
The artistic media used in this book is watercolor. The illustrations are folk art, model
Coreena
I read this book with my six year old daughter the other day and we both really enjoyed it. Each page presents wonderful pictures and a poem from a different part of the world and how they look at the moon there. I liked how there was a map at the beginning showing each place that was mentioned in the book.

First off, the pictures and the art are beautiful, simple and engaging. I am sure that kids will love the bold colours and scenes from around the world. Some things will be foreign and some fa
Barbara
In 17 poems using different poetic forms, Marilyn Singer pays tribute to the Moon. She moves across the globe from Broadway where the orb is hidden behind the city's tall buildings, "a brilliant actor in the wings" (unpaginated)to the Bay of Fundy and then across the Atlantic to Turkey and Israel and then on to the Sahara, circling back to Broadway where an audience of one has grown. Not only does this collection illustrate the many connections to the moon that go across cultures, but the back m ...more
W.
I received an ARC copy of this book through NetGalley.

In a series of short poems the reader is taken around the world to see how children in many cultures celebrate the full moon.

The text is slightly disjointed if the reader is expecting a story with a beginning, middle and end, but taken one poem at a time there is a pleasantness in the vistas explored.

The artwork is colorful, evoking a Grandma Moses-like naive quality.

The book was a quick read and I enjoyed seeing how the different cultures we
Sandy Brehl
Each page is a double-page spread of a specific world location, from New york City to Cape Town, South Africa and many places in between- urban, rural, desert, mountain, sea. Each page depicts the setting and specific residents engaging with their environment, and with the full moon rising. End papers show world maps with the reference sites labeled, and back matter adds informational text to expand the content from the poetry pages. This has much to offer for discussions of likes/differences as ...more
Aaron Alexander
The book A Full Moon is Rising takes a look at many different cultures throughout the world and shows us how they view and understand the moon. The book also touches on many of the ways that our earth is affected by the moon. For example, it mentions the ocean tides caused by the moon, bird migrations, etc. Could not only be used in science to learn about the moon but could also be used to discuss the way that different cultures view things differently. Could be used for grades 1-5.
Jen Kahl
I thought this book of poems was pretty neat because it showed how the full moon is appreciated throughout our planet. Each poem was given the name of where it took place; for instance, the "Harvest Time" poem took place in A Farm in Iowa, U.S.A, and told how the moon is useful to farmers come harvest time. I believe this book could be useful when discussing the moon and space but I believe that there is probably a better book out there for this.
Reilly
This is a wonderful book filled with poems about the moon. The poems describe how the moon looks from various vantage points, as well as traditions and legends from around the world that correlate to the different phases of the moon. I particularly enjoyed the introduction in the beginning of the book that explains the phases of the moons along with some additional information. This would be a great read aloud for a science unit about space!
Inspired Kathy
I'm not really a poetry person. I just don't love it and often don't get it. My favorite thing about A Full Moon Is Rising had nothing to do with the poems themselves. At the back of the book is a section About the Poems that discusses everything from lunar eclipses, to Greek Gods to the Moon Festival in China.

The poems are short and fairy easy to grasp the mean of and I thought the illustrations went along quite well with the poems.
Karen
I liked this story for the fact that it shows children that the moon is the same moon for everyone. It maybe in a different phase of it's cycle yet it is still the same. It has great explainations along with the story. The artwork is unique in that it's simple yet colorful and inviting. It was interesting to know how other cultures respond to the moon.
Brenda Kahn
I love the moon in all its phases. This collection celebrates the moon when it's in all its glory. The reader zig-zags around the world to learn about a variety of full-moon celebrations. Each poem is accompanied by watercolor paintings that veer toward a folk style, which matches the tones of the poems. Nice addition to any poetry collection.
Lisa Beal
The full moon shown around the world (including a farm in Iowa!) with beautiful illustrations. Excerpts about the poems in the back of the book add to the charm.
Edward Sullivan
Good collection of poems about the moon as seen and celebrated in countries all over the world. Great illustrations.
Best
Very nice. Each page is full of colors and the paintings are wonderful to look at! The poems are nice, too.
Lamkevin
Lamkevin marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Marilyn Singer was born in the Bronx (New York City) on October 3, 1948 and lived most of her early life in N. Massapequa (Long Island), NY. She attended Queens College, City University of New York, and for her junior year, Reading University, England. She holds a B.A. in English from Queens and an M.A. in Communications from New York University.

In 1974, after teaching English in New York City hig
More about Marilyn Singer...
Mirror Mirror: A Book of Reversible Verse Follow Follow: A Book of Reverso Poems A Stick Is an Excellent Thing: Poems Celebrating Outdoor Play Tallulah's Tutu A Strange Place to Call Home: The World's Most Dangerous Habitats & the Animals That Call Them Home