Start by marking “Final Encore” as Want to Read:
Final Encore

Final Encore (Encore #1)

3.56  ·  Rating Details  ·  177 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
When hunky aspiring country singer Billy Eagan heads to Nashville in search of his big break, a relationship and love are the furthest things from his mind. Taking a foreman's job at the Lazy H ranch and not knowing how he will be accepted, Billy decides to fly under the radar and stay as closeted as he can without denying who he really is. It's immediately confirmed that ...more
Published November 19th 2010 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Final Encore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Final Encore

Antonella
Oct 12, 2012 Antonella rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
An exercise in ''tell, don't show''. And the sobbing around of the MCs is also a constant. Not my thing, sorry!
Meggie
Dec 13, 2010 Meggie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
When I read the review for this book I really wanted to read the book. But then I started it and it was just okay...., I was telling myself "let's me see where the story will lead me, maybe my first impression is wrong".

But I was not wrong. From the start we got this explanation of Billy's family and his life, the way he grown up, but then as he leaves home into his future, there is like a cut. Like he become an orphan, or something, even if we get the info that Billy talks with his folks true t
Alina
Jun 24, 2013 Alina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it!

Very sweet, honest and reliable characters, just as I like them! Straightforward and enjoyable story with little bit of angst and a very satisfying ending. I especially liked how the whole situation with Todd was handled, since I'm usually very wary about past lovers and such, but here it was done with so much tact! Billy and Ian are perfect together <3
Al
May 11, 2013 Al rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If you're looking for a cure for insomnia, then you've got the right book. Otherwise, skip it. I picked up this book based upon the other reviews and let's say I wasn't so much disappointed as disgusted. Seriously, dreamspinner editors? The first chapter is all backstory. Boo-hoo, tragic past, starting over, got it. But pages and pages of this? gag me. Then, starting with the second chapter, the rapid and paragraph to paragraph switches in POV is enough to give you a migraine trying to figure ou ...more
Nic
Overall I liked this story and found the plot engaging. Billy is a country singer and is seeking his fame and fortune. He starts working as a ranch foreman and sings at Open Mic Night at the bar owned by his employers. They are good people and draw the attention of their friend Ian who comes along to hear Billy perform. Ian is a talent scout for a music label and he sees great potential in Billy.

One of the main issues faced by the men is Ian's reluctance to put his heart on the line "He had long
Thomaidha Papa
Oct 17, 2012 Thomaidha Papa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A big no for me and a complete waste of time and brain cells. The "telling" was horrible. It literally made my brain explode. Characters didn't shown one bit of chemistry. Sex scenes, Omg, really? Does that really happens, anywhere? And I so dislike whiny, crying characters. What's with that, every now and then a character cries his eyes out.
Although the above were plenty for me not to even bother rate this book, the decision was made for me when the confession time came and the protagonist made
Mnix
Jun 13, 2015 Mnix rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After years of living for everyone else, Billy Eagan sets off for Nashville to follow his dream of breaking into country music. Soon after he arrives, he finds a job at the Lazy H Ranch. Owners Jean and Jules also own a club, and when Billy finds out they do open-mic nights he’s excited. The crowds love him, and when he meets Jean and Jules’ friend, sexy agent Ian, he’s convinced things can’t get any better for him.

Ian’s attracted to Jules as well, but his past makes him hesitant to trust. Not t
Love Bytes Reviews
4 star review by Vicki

This book starts as Billy Eagan is on his way to Nashville to become a country music star. He gets in to Nashville, finds a cheap hotel and starts looking for a job, while scoping out the music scene. After a bit of searching, he is hired to be a ranch foreman by Jules James, the owner of the Lazy H ranch. He settles in to his new job, and is quite happy to learn that Jules and his wife Jean, own a club in downtown Nashville, that has an open night competition every month.
Lidia
Feb 01, 2012 Lidia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some might think that this story is a little corny but I think instead that exudes love and positivity of each page, Cade is a writer who describes the feelings so sweet and never boring not being afraid to talk even when there is pain and suffering which leads to the realization that it truly lives when you have someone to love or like Ian says, "to lose".
jules0623
Jan 05, 2016 jules0623 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf, relationship-m-m
So much narrative! I don't mind a bit of an info dump but there are ways of doing it that don't make it feel as though I'm reading a report. That and the whiplash POV changes from paragraph to paragraph made this a DNF for me which is a shame as the blurb sounded great.
Carol
Jan 08, 2015 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I loved Billy from the first minute I met him and he was so sweet and honourable and funny and amazing and … okay girl crush over, sigh. He and Ian were made for each other and this book was such a pleasant and enjoyable read, it made a rainy Sunday fly by.

Ian was wonderful as well and I really liked the insights into the country music industry. I felt that the way the ex was dealt with was very well done and to my surprise even though the two characters stayed in the closet,
Jess Candela
May 30, 2012 Jess Candela rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, dnf, read-in-2011
Pages and pages and pages of narrative. Telling, no showing. Couldn't get past chapter 2.
S.J.D. Peterson
This is the second book of Scotty Cade's that I read. Although I thoroughly enjoyed Wings of Love and in the end gave it a 5-star rating, it took me awhile to get into the story. Not so with Final Encore. From the first line to the last, this book grabbed my attention and held me throughout. For a debut novel this was for me a remarkable achievement.

I love how the author infused songs and artists into his story. My favorite being when Billy sang Bless the Broken road. I played the song while rer
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Nashville and all her glory, fame, and broken dreams are featured in Final Encore. The descriptions of the town, her people, and an extraordinary love story compelled me to look further into this seemingly magical place. I was impressed by the quality of Mr. Cade's first published book, and look forward to more from this author.

Admittedly I'm completely ignorant of the country music scene and the artists mentioned in the book. I did however, enjoy the time spent checking out the songs reference
Tammy
Dec 12, 2015 Tammy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5*

I liked this book! Both Billy and Ian just clicked! Billy is a very unassuming country singer looking for his big break. Ian has had his heart so broken that he guards it very well. The only part that I couldn't get behind was Ian's ex-boyfriend and that whole episode. It just wasn't believable to me. But will read the next one in this series.
Allie
Oct 05, 2011 Allie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just read all four for Scotty's books consecutively. Nice enough stories but this last one, more than the previous three, irked me somewhat - same M.O. (for starters) with the villain appearing to commit some last minute crime as with the previous book. But the thing that threw me was that there was one particular sex scene that was, word for word, identical to the 'big' sex scene in the previous book. Same descriptions, same emotions, same everything. The only difference was that the names of ...more
Lynnette Hartwig
Absolutely loved this book!

A great book. The connection between Billy and Ian was great. There was no dragged out scenes which I seem to find in many books nowadays. Can't wait for the conclusion in "After the Final Encore".
Michelle B
I was expecting more ranch and less country-music themes, but in the end, I was satisfied with the story and learning about the music industry. I felt a little less of an emotional connection with these two than the leads in Wings of Love, but as usual read this book straight through and wasn't disappointed.

I see some other reviewers were not as complimentary, but it's still a good love story, well-written, and fits the genre. We had some good development of the secondary characters, and while t
Jason
Aug 31, 2014 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I really enjoyed this book. I thought I wouldn't have but it's been good. One thing that really bothered me was when Ian was telling Billy about Todd. Seriously? Who explains a story as if they're writing a novel??
Suze
Jan 12, 2015 Suze rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A 2.5* read for me, and I picked this up free at DSP. I have enjoyed other Scotty Cade books but this one just didnt get going for me.
The story premise was fine, Billy newly arrived in Nashville from NO, finds a job, welcome and a talent spot. Ian, the 'adopted' son of Billy's mentors is a talent scout and those meddlesome parents bring the two together with great personal and professional success. The is the homophobic baddie and a deep dark secret in Ian's past. All the right ingredients, but
Paul Wright
Nov 25, 2012 Paul Wright rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bought_it
I rated this book 5 stars because I not only liked the story, but I loved the characters and not just the MCs. Scotty has done a masterful job of describing that amazing feeling when love is fresh and new and also bringing in reality that anyone over the age of puberty (or possibly younger) comes with history, hurt and "baggage". It's an important message that it is not about the baggage, per se, but finding someone you are willing to let in and help unpack and put away that baggage, Kudos to Sc ...more
R. Wayne
Dec 13, 2010 R. Wayne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed Scotty Cade's first novel and am looking forward to many more. It was hard to believe it was a first! He had a wonderful mix of characters and a warmth in his writing that made me feel that I personally knew the characters. Also, he captured the country music scene --with which I have first hand familiarity -- beautifully. This is a wonderful,e ntertianing, warm and romantic read - all that it promised to be and then some. I look forward to more from Scotty!
Wendy ~M/M Junkie~
Apr 10, 2014 Wendy ~M/M Junkie~ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: source-calibre
I loved the country music references in this one as well as learning a bit about the music industry. Since I enjoy Country Music I knew who Scotty Cade was talking about and the songs that were referenced. If someone is unfamiliar with the music it may cause a pause in the reading and enjoyment to find out who/what it is though. Again I didn't feel the love for the characters that I really wanted to. Ian and Billy were great together but they both just oozed sweet.
Brandilyn
Jan 09, 2016 Brandilyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, read-2015, four-months
Reviewed for Prism Book Alliance

Final Encore was Scotty Cade's first published novel. It has since been re-edited and expanded a bit. I never read the first edition, so I can not speak to the differences between the editions. This review focuses on the second edition recently released by Dreamspinner Press.

For Complete review see Prism Book Alliance: http://www.prismbookalliance.com/?pos...

Terry
Jun 28, 2012 Terry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although this book is sugary sweet at times I found it very enjoyable. The reason for Ian being unable to commit to a relationship I found rather weak and maybe more could have been made of Buck and the ranch. The writing was good though and the story flowed effortlessly - a good book to read on vacation on the beach where you don't need anything too taxing or much thought.
bazinga ~Lisa
Oct 10, 2015 bazinga ~Lisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to bazinga ~Lisa by: dreamspinner
I couldn't get into this story because I didn't feel a part of it. Very few places on the story had me living through the events as they happened. I wanted to like this story and I did finish it but was never drawn in. I rather think this may be that it was earlier book by this author b/c I have read "Wings of Love" and didn't have the same response.
Lou Woodward
Dec 13, 2010 Lou Woodward rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished reading this book. I love the authentic way the author writes. I want to hang out with Billy Eagan. Very real characters. Gotta love a man in a cowboy hat! Here is a tip of the hat to author Scotty Cade. Can't wait for your next book.
Kim Tripp
Feb 17, 2011 Kim Tripp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a good, fun book. It has everything you need for a good escape book: sudden success, romance and just a little bit of tension. Good characters and interesting settings make for a fast pace and keep your interest.
Dani Elle Maas
Nov 03, 2012 Dani Elle Maas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
really liked this story Billy is such a great guy you just have to love them :)
Have to say unconventional
got me into reading all your stories
so of to the love series :)
Marge
2.5 stars, rounded up to 3. Too much exposition, and too much crying by the guys. Otherwise, they were a likeable couple and there were good secondary characters.
Dreamspinner Press: Final Encore by Scotty Cade 1 7 Mar 20, 2015 11:52PM
  • Shattered Glass
  • Sin & Seduction (Sin & Seduction, #1)
  • Heartstrings (Conquest, #6)
  • 72 Hours
  • Entanglements
  • Wrestling With Jesus
  • The Far Away Years
  • Shades Of Dreams
  • Reverb
  • Marathon Cowboys
  • Metal Heart
  • Bodies of Work (Avondale Stories, #1)
  • The Melody Thief (Blue Notes, #2)
  • Lorcan's Desire (Whispering Pines Ranch, #1)
  • The Saint of San Francisco (Saint of San Francisco, #1)
  • P’tit Cadeau
  • Something For Nothing
  • Loving Edits (Basque, #1)
Scotty Cade left Corporate America and twenty-five years of Marketing and Public Relations behind to buy an Inn & Restaurant on the island of Martha’s Vineyard with his partner of over twenty years. He started writing stories as soon as he could read, but just five years ago for publication. When not at the Inn, you can find him on the bow of his boat writing gay romance novels with his Shetla ...more
More about Scotty Cade...

Encore (3 books)
  • Before the Final Encore (Encore, #0.5)
  • After the Final Encore (Encore, #2)