Start by marking “The Rescue” as Want to Read:
The Rescue

The Rescue (English Garden #2)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  2,769 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Lori Wick's bestselling English Garden series (more than 720,000 copies sold) is filled with engaging characters and stories. Now with fresh, new covers, each of the four books in the series will hold a favorite spot on the nightstand or bookshelf of any reader who loves a great romance. "The Rescue, "book two in the series, is set in 1811 England. When Anne Gardiner slips ...more
Published January 1st 2009 by Harvest House Publishers (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Rescue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rescue

Terri
I will preface this review by telling you that Lori Wick is one of my favorite Christian romance authors on the planet. I will also preface this review by telling you that Lori Wick had already published quite a few novels when I started reading her five or six years ago, and she has published quite a few more since then. She seems to have fallen into a rut with her plots, and her novels have become formulaic. That said, there are several of her works that are on my “absolute favorite books ever ...more
Kristen
The Rescue is a beautiful historical/inspirational romance, the second book in the English Garden series. Anne Gardiner and Robert Weston ended up getting married, when he caught her from falling from a ladder. Little did they know, her ill father wanted them to get married and they did as strangers--a marriage of convenience. But when this happened, it was the talk of the time, while Anne's reputation was tarnished by gossip. That's when Robert decided they get married for real. And slowly but ...more
Josiah
Set in 1811 in England, "The Rescue" centers on two young single people thrown together by danger, gossip, and obedience to God. Eventually, they also fall in love.

While the idea for this series is great (Christian companion stories for Austen & Bronte), the execution is so poor that I would not recommend these to the reader of discretion.

Plot: B
Writing: I-
Vocabulary: D-
Level: Easy
Rating: G
Worldview: Christian
Heidi
I liked this one better because the circumstances were quirky. It is set in 1811 and Anne's dad seems to have Alzheimer's-style symptoms that came about after a prolonged high fever. Their circumstances are poor so she does all the cooking, cleaning and maintenance of the house. The roof needs to be fixed and she gets up on a ladder. She falls and Weston catches her. Anne's dad sees her in his arms and feels her honor has been compromised and forces a marriage at swordpoint. Anne tells Weston to ...more
Karyn
I must have accidentally requested this book at the library. (I have been giddy with requesting lately having discovered the joys of living near a REAL library!) But heck, I needed a book and I noticed this book was set in England. Oh my! Where do people come up with this stuff? Christian romance fiction is an interesting genre, to say the least. And this coming from me, who is often quite happy with reading silly, brainless fiction.
Barbara
This book introduces the characters of Anne Gardiner and Robert Weston quickly, and gives them the impetus to fall in love: Gardiner's senile father forces them to marry (at swordpoint, no less!) when he rescues her from falling off a ladder and misinterprets their circumstances.

That a senile old man with a sword is allowed to wander England without supervision is ludicrous enough, but then we're expected to believe that Weston really is rescuing Anne from a life of poverty. There is one cute sc
Erin
What do my ratings mean?

5 STARS - This book was amazing and I don't care what anyone thinks OR This book was amazing and I highly recommend you read it.

4 STARS - I loved this book but I would understand if others didn't OR This book was great but was missing just something to make it fantastic.

3 STARS - I liked it, but I didn't think it was anything special

2 STARS - It was pretty average.

1 STAR - Not worth my time or yours.
Audrey Watson
Out of the entire English Garden Series, The Rescue was the best! I've read it at least twice, while I've started it or read little bits and pieces of it here and there over and over again! Highly recommended that you read the series!
Tina Dee
Loved it. This is my 3rd read-through of The Rescue. I love the characters. I recommend this to anyone wanting a sweet, character-driven romance set in Regency period.
Alisha
fun twist. cheesy but fun.
Miss Pippi the Librarian

Time Period: 1800's
Location: England
Kristelle
I found this story line much more orginal than the first book in the series. I also didn't realize that the series didn't stick with the same family but moves around in the town. I loved the charcter of Anne and also of Weston and felt that they both reacted very normally to the situation at hand. The only part that was unclear to me for along time was whether or not they were married in the beginning.
Judine
Excellent romantic read! Lori Wick's third shot at marriage of convenience was the best. I love Anne Gardiner's handling of the community around her and her eccentric father. I love Weston's tender care of his new wife, and his servant Mansfield's understanding of absolutely everything. I also love that all these names come straight out of Jane Austen books! Fun!
Meridyforgot
Really enjoyed this book. It is about a couple who gets married without love but mutual respect. It has good Christian values in it, but it is about a married relationship. I feel it was clean, but at the sametime perhaps should have gone in a little less detail in some places. If that makes sense. On the whole though, very enjoyable and had meaning in it.
Kristen
Definately a Christian read. I guess I should have read the first one in the garden series because I didn't know who half the characters were and she introduced a ton at the beginning. It was good, some parts where better than others. The romance towards the end was good. Clean.
Anna
I'm having a hard time wanting to finish this book...very unrealistic...such simplistic characters...un-believable storyline...It actually would be a nice book for an eleven year old girl...I should have read it fourteen years ago... :)
Deanna
Lori Wick did an exceptional job telling a beautiful Godly love story from start to finish. Masterfully written, heartwarming. This book challenged me to submit more lovingly to my husband and draw closer to him as a wife.
Kasey
Awww, this book was so cute! Lori Wick does such a great job with the emotional side of characters. Anne was a perfect example of femininity also... Very fun to see how that worked in her marriage. :)
Sheeba
This book was simply amazing. What a fantastic couple - so mature, so much faith, so much love and kindness, level-headed and just so functional.

This couple was more realistic to me :)

5 Stars
Fran
A good story of the era it was written to represent. A young couple who marries and then falls in love. A heartwarming story how God's love can touch each person in a unique way.
A Lee
I thought for sure they were married the first time... It was funny, and I love Anne she is full of independence but so sweet. Another marvelous work Lori, keep up the good work!
Cathleen
This was the first Christian Romance I've read, and was surprised at how much I liked it. The story is set in the 19th century England. I would read more of LorI Wicks books.
Becky
This was a cute book which had the couple fall in love after they got married. They were really already there but they just didn't know it of course. nice and clean.
Tiffany
Another pleasant story different from the first in the series but with some of the same characters. Easy, quick read. Sweet and tender story.
Rhonda  (Ritty)
One of the first books by Lori Wick that I read and one which made me fall in love with her way of writing from the very beginning!
Tara
I'm a sucker for an arranged marriage/ marriage of convenience that grows into love. See also The Princess by Lori Wick
Kelly
This was actually the first book that I've read and can honestly say that I did not like the writing style.
Sherry Bryant
A most tender stiry of how God can take two broken lives and work it all out. We have to be willing first!
Marilize
A little less like babyfood than the first book in this series, but still nothing really to chew on.
Cassandra
I liked this story because I found it original due to the charcters involved they seemed very alive to me.
  • June (Brides of the West, #2)
  • The Meeting Place (Song of Acadia, #1)
  • A Promise to Believe In (The Brides of Gallatin County, #1)
  • Wild Heather: (English Ivy, #2)
  • Whirlwind (Only in Gooding, #3)
  • The Guardian (O'Malley #2)
FROM THE PUBLISHER:
Lori Wick is known as one of the most versatile Christian fiction writers on the market today. From pioneer fiction to a series set in Victorian England to a contemporary novel, Lori's books (over 5 million in print) continue to delight readers and top the Christian bestselling fiction list. Lori and her husband, Bob, live in Wisconsin with "the three coolest kids in the world."
More about Lori Wick...
The Princess Sophie's Heart The Hawk and the Jewel (Kensington Chronicles #1) Pretense Wings of the Morning (Kensington Chronicles #2)