Once Before Time: A Whole Story of the Universe

Once Before Time: A Whole Story of the Universe

2.98 of 5 stars 2.98  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  11 reviews
In 2000, Martin Bojowald, then a twenty-seven-year-old post-doc at Pennsylvania State University, used a relatively new theory called loop quantum gravity—a cunning combination of Einstein’s theory of gravity with quantum mechanics—to create a simple model of the universe. Loop quantum cosmology was born, and with it, a theory that managed to do something even Einstein’s g...more
Published November 9th 2010 by Vintage (first published 2009)

Gendou
The first third of the book is a condensed and meager survey of physics up to the standard model. Sigh.

I'm not sure where the author is going with this, but he labels String Theory as "monotheistic" and Loop Quantum Gravity as "pantheistic"... yuck.

The random digressions into science fiction are jarring and confusing.
They butt against the scientific arguments in a way that can only be inferred as intentionally deceiving!

One chapter argues that entropy cannot be used to define the arrow of time.
Y...more
G
Having finished the book I am surprised that it has a low rating. It is a good review of the state of current physics. To me it is one of the only books that gets to the bottom of the difference between String Theory and Loop Quantum Gravity without going into the mathematics. I don't think a book could go much further than this in reviewing physics without recourse to mathematics.

You have to be somewhat on his wavelength (no pun intended) to read this book with much joy or understanding. It is...more
David
a physics prof describes the theory of loop quantum gravity, an alternative to string theory apparently, which proposes a contracting universe prior to the big bang and purportedly solves a problem faced by quantum mechanics + general relativity in explaining a "singularity".

As he acknowledges, there is currently no way of testing loop quantum gravity against observations, which lessened my enthusiasm for attempting to figure it out. Enthusiastic or no, my 10th grade physics from 35 years ago wa...more
Andy Huber

wow!

Somewhere i read about that the whole mathematik get changed by
him and his work...???

Hmm
So i inscribied 2009 to the Astronomie Institut at the
University in Vienna and read the book :d

The stuff at University was nearly the same, so i

got the answer to my question

about the ... the integral from Bojowald :d

It is verry good written. Also all stuff is clearly
understandable and you can figer it out, what the
book is about and :d how to manage to live with
such tiny things.

Gualtiero
Difficile ma interessante. Spesso mi sono un po' perso nelle spiegazioni più complesse ma ho comunque imparato cose nuove come la. quantizzazione dello spazio tempo!
Larry
Matt Young
Theoretical Physics intrigues everyone but nobody really knows anything about it. In the same vein as "The Elegant Universe" by Greene, Bojowald does a good job of introducing the laymen to a very new, and very advanced topic. You like String Theory? You like being the center of attention at cocktail parties? Learn about Loop Quantum Gravity and impress the guests.
Peter
I think it was a little above my head all in all. My favorite parts were when he went on little tangents about something in pop culture (or really nerd culture) that tied into his basic topic, such as explaining scientific issues with star trek technology.

Deedee Light
The intro to this book indicates it's written for the common man. I would submit, not so. Complex read and at times brutal.
Richard Jowsey
Fantastic work! No math, ok, one wave-function, everything explained in plain english.
Carlos
Todo parece muy poco convincente
Paul Medew
Paul Medew marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Erik Meier
Erik Meier is currently reading it
Jun 25, 2014
Atelfer
Atelfer marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Jimmy Ele
Jimmy Ele marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Manuel Corroza
Manuel Corroza is currently reading it
May 07, 2014
Sergio Donato
Sergio Donato is currently reading it
Apr 21, 2014
Vince
Vince marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Ann-Marie
Ann-Marie is currently reading it
Mar 10, 2014
Issy
Issy marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
Rodica
Rodica marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Canonical Gravity and Applications: Cosmology, Black Holes, and Quantum Gravity Once Before Time: A Whole Story of the Universe The Universe: A View from Classical and Quantum Gravity Zurück vor den Urknall: Die ganze Geschichte des Universums (German Edition) Quantum Cosmology: A Fundamental Description of the Universe