Start by marking “Here Kitty Kitty: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Here Kitty Kitty: A Novel

Here Kitty Kitty: A Novel

3.22 of 5 stars 3.22  ·  rating details  ·  214 ratings  ·  26 reviews
New York at night is an urban playground where glamour and danger are just flip sides of the same thrilling coin. The tough, beautiful player at the heart of Jardine Libaire's acclaimed first novel is Lee, the consummate party girl. Lee has the right designer clothes, the right job managing a stylish restaurant, and the right lover, who finances all her bad habits. As the ...more
Published July 13th 2005 by Back Bay Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Here Kitty Kitty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Here Kitty Kitty

Some Are Sicker Than Others by Andrew SeawardGo Ask Alice by Beatrice SparksCrank by Ellen HopkinsEvery Silver Lining Has a Cloud by Scott StevensA Million Little Pieces by James Frey
Substance Abuse & Addiction
390th out of 511 books — 1,149 voters
Blood & Spirits by Dennis SharpeThe Last Boat by John F. HanleyAgainst The Tide by John F. HanleyThe Gorgeous Girls by Marie  WilsonJezebel by Koko Brown
women behaving badly
46th out of 65 books — 72 voters

More lists with this book...

kb
I thought this book was hard to like, because you know how chic lits are all the same, but first impressions never last, don't they? Sure, the prose got a little bit too profound for me at times but it was beautiful. Lee's story, the motherless junkie lead character who was torn among her art, lovers and life, was surprisingly engaging. I always couldn't wait to get to the next page to find out what she was up to. And what was cool was that, every page had me guessing. Like, I expected her to st ...more
Mary Faulk
I thought Libaire's writing style was addicting in it's own. I loved her perception of NYC. I really felt as if I were in the Big Apple myself. There was no sugar coating in this book. I liked it's raw beauty but at the same time I also, was tired of the main character, Lee. She was truly draining, and at the end of the novel I simply wanted to shake her, and tell her to get her crap together. The author also added some interesting characters that left me wanting more. I would read another novel ...more
Michele
Jul 16, 2007 Michele rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Girls who liked Sex and the City
Did you ever screw a guy for money? Did you ever drink yourself into oblivion because New York has a way of beating the living hell out of you? Have you snorted cocaine off the back of a toilet seat after spending a night out dancing and having sex with nameless rich guys? Then this book is for you!

In all seriousness, it's a story that didn't bug me, but a story that's been told before nonetheless (and better). It's another OK written book about losing yourself to drugs, booze, and sex in New Yo
Linnie Greene
I finished this one decadently in bed this morning, rising finally at 11:45 when I'd torn through the last 150 or so pages. I was drawn in by Libaire's gorgeous, playful prose; she seems to luxuriate in describing the quotidian, making it something more than it appears. The junkies in Williamsburg take on a poetic beauty. The lilacs at a market stand are technicolor, perfume-fragrant, the center of the universe for a few indulgent paragraphs.

And when I say "indulgent," I mean that. I wondered wh
maura
Chick-lit set in Williamsburg.

If I knew the main character in real life, I would probably not like her. I'd probably detest her and all that she stood for. I would have visions of myself telling her to stop feeling sorry for herself and to move back to Long Island. But I'd never actually say anything. Instead I'd glare at her from a distance, and secretly detest how everyone else loved this hipster beauty and all of her irresponsible, selfish, and self-destructive ways.
Tracy
Elizabeth
i have a weird obsession with this book. i read it. liked it okay. put it down. went on with my life. but it won't leave my psyche! it haunts me for no discernible reason.
Kate
Nov 16, 2007 Kate rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who work at American Apparel
i can't believe Bourdain blurbed the back of this. for shame Tony, for shame!
Lucy Robinson
I really loved her writing style. I wish the book was longer.
Heather Eaton
This was one of the most ridiculous books I've ever read.
Jasmine
Nov 18, 2014 Jasmine rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: williamsburg hipsters, drug users
Shelves: own, well-that-sucked
I tried reading this once before, stopped, waited a few years, gained more life experiences (eating ramen noodles in my furniture-less apartment) then tried again and still ended up not caring for it.

Lee is a horrible spoiled brat. I didn't care much about her feelings, as she made me hate her. I found myself turning pages to read more about the people that came to love her. I was not reading for their stories, but out of curiosity. How could they stand to be around her? In the same room with h
Carolyn
3.5

My cousin pawning her library books off on me again, I recommend it, it's a very convenient way to use the library! Marketed as chick lit, this was not what you'd expect. Heroine is an alcoholic drug addict spiraling downward, also a painter and everything in the book is described in very lush, tactile terms, like running your hand across a canvas thick with paint. I enjoyed it. And it doesn't have the end I was expecting. But maybe you would be? Some nice moments about creation, about self c
Jessica
Imagine Sex in the City where one of the 4 main characters is on a downward spiral of drug abuse and you will have this debut novel. The central character is a NYC hipster party girl who feels lonely because all of her friends have moved on from the party lifestyle. I really enjoyed the author's writing and will definitely check out any other novels that she writes.
Paige
The author's prose is simply captivating. It separates itself from the chic lit I try to stray from. The imagery created is stunning in itself. The protagonist is not someone you'll automatically empathize with. You'll even get mad at her a lot, but that's okay. The book grows into something very special. I'm glad I experienced it.
Jennifer Anderson
So glad I went with this one. It's sort-of an explosion of images that tell a story. And though for some time I couldn't tell if I hated the narrator or not, I ended up feeling everything with her. I give it four stars because, unlike many books, I came out of this one with the conclusion, "I could never write like that."
Janelle Westfall
Lee is my soul-sister. Seriously. I've read this a hundred times, easily. The only downside to this delicious book, is that it's fiction. I'll never actually be able to meet that part of myself.
Felicia
I found it hard to read this book because I just wanted to slap the character. She just kept messing up her life, then blaming everyone else for it. Not my favorite.
I enjoyed the writing style of the author, because it was new to me. However, the story and characters itself, not so much... I finished the book unsatisfied.
Angela
The beauty of the prose in this book is a refreshing take on the "desperate bad girl in the big city" story. Libaire's emotional detailing is exceptional.
Bridget
Sep 26, 2011 Bridget rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: libertine lite
I think I enjoyed this book but I honestly remember mostly being infatuated with the title and thinking it was the literary equivalent of a Strokes song.
Kai
Appreciated the plot and the focus but this wasn't interesting enough to make me read it in one sitting, sorry Jardine Libaire.
Ellen
I think I'm going to have to read it again before I figure out what exactly disturbed me about this book.
Sara
I read this book a long time ago, but remember enjoying.
Serenamerriman
stayed with me. not great, but stayed with me.
Mo
stay away from drugs
Marlene Greteman
Jun 08, 2008 Marlene Greteman is currently reading it
Not sure yet.......
Charlotte Fry
Charlotte Fry marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
  • Kings of Infinite Space
  • Permanent Midnight
  • Wedding Season
  • Innocence
Jardine Libaire is an American writer based in Brooklyn, New York. She is a graduate of Skidmore College and a 1997 graduate of the University of Michigan Creative Writing MFA Program.

More about Jardine Libaire...
French Women Don't Get Caught: The Secret Art of Infidelity Revealed

“New Year's Eve. It's a promise of a night. Single, married or widowed, in love, loveless or lovelorn, we all leave our apartments and pick through snow in high heels, or descend subway stairs in tuxedos, lured to wherever we're going--whether we know it or not, would deny it or not--by the kiss of a stranger.” 4 likes
“Fucking, drinking, smoking, loving, living, freebasing, spending, laughing, crying, working, falling apart, kissing, writing, blacking out.” 3 likes