Start by marking “Here Kitty Kitty: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Here Kitty Kitty: A Novel

Here Kitty Kitty: A Novel

New York at night is an urban playground where glamour and danger are just flip sides of the same thrilling coin. The tough, beautiful player at the heart of Jardine Libaire's acclaimed first novel is Lee, the consummate party girl. Lee has the right designer clothes, the right job managing a stylish restaurant, and the right lover, who finances all her bad habits. As the ...more
Published July 13th 2005 by Back Bay Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Here Kitty Kitty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Here Kitty Kitty

Mary Faulk
Apr 05, 2009 Mary Faulk rated it liked it
I thought Libaire's writing style was addicting in it's own. I loved her perception of NYC. I really felt as if I were in the Big Apple myself. There was no sugar coating in this book. I liked it's raw beauty but at the same time I also, was tired of the main character, Lee. She was truly draining, and at the end of the novel I simply wanted to shake her, and tell her to get her crap together. The author also added some interesting characters that left me wanting more. I would read another novel ...more
Michele
Jul 16, 2007 Michele rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Girls who liked Sex and the City
Did you ever screw a guy for money? Did you ever drink yourself into oblivion because New York has a way of beating the living hell out of you? Have you snorted cocaine off the back of a toilet seat after spending a night out dancing and having sex with nameless rich guys? Then this book is for you!

In all seriousness, it's a story that didn't bug me, but a story that's been told before nonetheless (and better). It's another OK written book about losing yourself to drugs, booze, and sex in New Yo
maura
Feb 13, 2007 maura rated it did not like it
Shelves: dontlikesomuch
Chick-lit set in Williamsburg.

If I knew the main character in real life, I would probably not like her. I'd probably detest her and all that she stood for. I would have visions of myself telling her to stop feeling sorry for herself and to move back to Long Island. But I'd never actually say anything. Instead I'd glare at her from a distance, and secretly detest how everyone else loved this hipster beauty and all of her irresponsible, selfish, and self-destructive ways.
Tracy
Elizabeth
Dec 09, 2007 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
i have a weird obsession with this book. i read it. liked it okay. put it down. went on with my life. but it won't leave my psyche! it haunts me for no discernible reason.
Janelle Westfall
Jan 16, 2014 Janelle Westfall rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorites
Lee is my soul-sister. Seriously. I've read this a hundred times, easily. The only downside to this delicious book, is that it's fiction. I'll never actually be able to meet that part of myself.
Kate
Oct 26, 2007 Kate rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people who work at American Apparel
i can't believe Bourdain blurbed the back of this. for shame Tony, for shame!
Heather Eaton
Sep 06, 2012 Heather Eaton rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the most ridiculous books I've ever read.
Lucy Miller Robinson
I really loved her writing style. I wish the book was longer.
Jasmine
Mar 21, 2009 Jasmine rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: williamsburg hipsters, drug users
Shelves: own, well-that-sucked
I tried reading this once before, stopped, waited a few years, gained more life experiences (eating ramen noodles in my furniture-less apartment) then tried again and still ended up not caring for it.

Lee is a horrible spoiled brat. I didn't care much about her feelings, as she made me hate her. I found myself turning pages to read more about the people that came to love her. I was not reading for their stories, but out of curiosity. How could they stand to be around her? In the same room with h
Carolyn
Dec 20, 2012 Carolyn rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
3.5

My cousin pawning her library books off on me again, I recommend it, it's a very convenient way to use the library! Marketed as chick lit, this was not what you'd expect. Heroine is an alcoholic drug addict spiraling downward, also a painter and everything in the book is described in very lush, tactile terms, like running your hand across a canvas thick with paint. I enjoyed it. And it doesn't have the end I was expecting. But maybe you would be? Some nice moments about creation, about self c
Jennifer Anderson
Jul 12, 2011 Jennifer Anderson rated it really liked it
So glad I went with this one. It's sort-of an explosion of images that tell a story. And though for some time I couldn't tell if I hated the narrator or not, I ended up feeling everything with her. I give it four stars because, unlike many books, I came out of this one with the conclusion, "I could never write like that."
Paige
May 04, 2013 Paige rated it really liked it
The author's prose is simply captivating. It separates itself from the chic lit I try to stray from. The imagery created is stunning in itself. The protagonist is not someone you'll automatically empathize with. You'll even get mad at her a lot, but that's okay. The book grows into something very special. I'm glad I experienced it.
Jessica
Jul 14, 2007 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Imagine Sex in the City where one of the 4 main characters is on a downward spiral of drug abuse and you will have this debut novel. The central character is a NYC hipster party girl who feels lonely because all of her friends have moved on from the party lifestyle. I really enjoyed the author's writing and will definitely check out any other novels that she writes.
Barb Peterson
Sep 10, 2015 Barb Peterson rated it liked it
This is a gal who was her own worst enemy & managed in the long run to resolve her problems.
I had no clue who/what the Ginger part at the very end was about. Readd a lot of it while really sleeping? Did I miss something earlier about Ginger
Feb 03, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the writing style of the author, because it was new to me. However, the story and characters itself, not so much... I finished the book unsatisfied.
Kai
Mar 17, 2013 Kai rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Appreciated the plot and the focus but this wasn't interesting enough to make me read it in one sitting, sorry Jardine Libaire.
Felicia
Aug 13, 2011 Felicia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I found it hard to read this book because I just wanted to slap the character. She just kept messing up her life, then blaming everyone else for it. Not my favorite.
Ellen
Jun 12, 2007 Ellen rated it it was ok
Shelves: just-read
I think I'm going to have to read it again before I figure out what exactly disturbed me about this book.
Bridget
Sep 26, 2011 Bridget rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: libertine lite
I think I enjoyed this book but I honestly remember mostly being infatuated with the title and thinking it was the literary equivalent of a Strokes song.
Angela
Jul 29, 2007 Angela rated it liked it
The beauty of the prose in this book is a refreshing take on the "desperate bad girl in the big city" story. Libaire's emotional detailing is exceptional.
Jimkarnitz
Jimkarnitz rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2009
Jasmine
Jasmine rated it liked it
May 11, 2014
Neha S
Neha S rated it it was ok
Jul 10, 2012
Jamison
Jamison rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2016
Allisen Lemay
Allisen Lemay rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2008
Sarah Addison
Sarah Addison rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2011
Serenamerriman
Jan 11, 2008 Serenamerriman rated it liked it
stayed with me. not great, but stayed with me.
Rachel
Rachel rated it did not like it
Apr 07, 2015
Bethany Nickerson
Bethany Nickerson rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2011
  • Veronica
  • Innocence
  • Mall
  • Wedding Season
  • Crazy Town: Money. Marriage. Meth.
  • Permanent Midnight
  • Obliviously On He Sails: The Bush Administration in Rhyme
  • The Shape of Things to Come
  • ridiculous/hilarious/terrible/cool: a year in an american high school
  • Stop That Girl: A Novel in Stories
I'm a fiend for books, bookstores, lit journals, found poetry, libraries, graffiti, artist books, diaries, screenplays---anything that tells a story. My MFA is from Michigan, which is a dearly beloved program. For the last ten years, I've been living in Austin, TX, a city that is very sweet + kind to artists ;) Over the decades, I've worked as a motel chambermaid, real estate agent, dishwasher, ba ...more
More about Jardine Libaire...

“New Year's Eve. It's a promise of a night. Single, married or widowed, in love, loveless or lovelorn, we all leave our apartments and pick through snow in high heels, or descend subway stairs in tuxedos, lured to wherever we're going--whether we know it or not, would deny it or not--by the kiss of a stranger.” 4 likes
“Fucking, drinking, smoking, loving, living, freebasing, spending, laughing, crying, working, falling apart, kissing, writing, blacking out.” 3 likes