Start by marking “Common Prayer: A Liturgy for Ordinary Radicals” as Want to Read:
Common Prayer: A Liturgy for Ordinary Radicals

Common Prayer: A Liturgy for Ordinary Radicals

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  810 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Designed to help individuals, families, and congregations pray, sing, and act together across traditions and denominations, Shane Claiborne, Enuma Okoro, and Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove offer a book of common prayer to help you and your community join together each day with the same songs, scriptures, and prayers.
Published November 23rd 2010 by Zondervan (first published November 9th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Common Prayer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Common Prayer

Adam
I finally ordered a hard copy of this prayer book. I have been using the online version (commonprayer.net) for the past year. Whether you are new to fixed hour/liturgical prayer or not this book has the potential to change your prayer life. The book is itself a beautiful work of art. Well made. The pages are nice and sturdy which should make for great daily usage. As for content: There is one Evening Prayer for each day of the week. Each day has the Our Father as a border in both English and in...more
Hansen Wendlandt
What is better written: some of the best prayers of Christian history included here, or the gospel clarity of the Ordinary Radicals’ introduction and interstices? What a stunningly good and rich book, a true inspiration to live peacefully in “holy mischief” (24)!
If we accept that worship is a time to be with God publicly-—as though we were at a pub with Jesus—-then the work of worship, liturgy, is the organized movement of the Spirit. Claiborne et al tells us so succinctly how praying with litu...more
Meghan
Although I haven't used this in community, as intended, I've been using it as my daily devotional for some time now. I appreciate the biographical notes, the songs, the daily Bible readings (based on the lectionary), and the various prayers.
I call it "Liturgy for Dummies" and it's a perfect introduction to the traditions of the church for a dummy like myself. I am enjoying having a new morning rhythm with this book.
Gene
The only thing better than this book would be the full text hardcover edition!
Shannon
This is from my Amazon review:
I received my copy right before the first day in the book (December 1st) so I've been praying with this book daily since then. I am loving it! As an individual who loves liturgy and common prayer but would not consider himself to be Anglican/Episcopalian nor necessarily a part of any of the classic liturgical denominations, I find this prayer book to be a refreshing look at the 'style' - if you will. As a youth pastor, this has been a good way for me to introduce a...more
Gregory Soderberg
This is an exciting book! I came to it with hardly any background knowledge on who the New Monastics are, and I think that served me well. I see this text as a healthy injection of ancient wisdom into the postmodern church. This book breathes a freshness and a vitality that are missing from the more traditional churches that have never abandoned the historic liturgies. In many ways, familiarity breeds contempt. I won't accuse any churches of having contempt for their historic liturgies, but ther...more
Josh Morgan
This review first appeared on my blog, Jacob's Café (http://jacobscafe.blogspot.com/2010/1...).

This post is part of my series on prayer books. I received a complimentary review copy of this book without a requirement or expectation of a positive review.

Common Prayer is a the result of a collaborative effort of Shane Claiborne, Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove, and Enuma Okoro. All three (from my understanding) have an emphasis on missional living, intentional community, and the new monasticism. This in...more
Eric Sundquist
I engaged with this Common Prayer during Lent. While I did not make my goal of regular daily practice, I did spend time with it frequently enough to understand its rhythms.

Common Prayer guides followers through three prayer times each day. Morning Prayers are lengthy, including readings about saints and from Scripture, as well as call and response prayer. There is a Morning Prayer for each day of the year and special prayers for Holy Week. The same Midday Prayer is used every day to develop a rh...more
David
This book gets four stars just for the scope - prayers for every single morning of the year! If you are wanting to get into the tradition of fixed hour prayer (there are also midday and evening prayers on a weekly rotation) this book could be a help.

Claiborne, and the other authors, are part of the New Monasticism, emphasizing discipleship to Jesus as entailing things like poverty and nonviolence. These emphases shine through, though they do bring in voices from all Christian traditions.

The only...more
Jacki
I did not know what was in this book when I bought it. All I knew was that I really wanted to grow in my prayer life and I like Shane Claiborne.

So for those of you who are like me and want to know what's in the book, let me tell you...
This small books is divided into 5 sections:
-Daily Prayer, with a morning prayer, midday prayer, evening prayer and compline prayer.
-Monthly Action, which explains the tenets of New Monasticism and gives ideas for how to live out these values.
-Occasional Prayers,...more
Lance Schaubert
A great companion to the real book of common prayer, this volume modernizes the daily morning liturgy, organizing it more like a daily devotional and less on the church calendar. Because of this, it will help return us to the holy days.
Sean
For the beginner, and the experienced, this is an excellent book on common prayer. The biggest stand out for me is it's ecumenical take on liturgical prayer from different parts of the church as well as it's social conscious focus in collects and the intros to the calendar months.

As one who has been circling around liturgical prayer this was a welcome addition to my ever growing collection of prayer books. This is not bogged down like some books that would end up being more beneficial if one was...more
Telly McGaha
There is nothing "radical," per se, about this book of prayer other than it compiles prayers from various Christian faiths (though you might never know if you have not been exposed to other faiths). As the name implies, it includes restricted, structured evening prayers for every day of the year, morning prayers for each weekday, and a midday prayer for every day. In addition, it includes some hymns, though only a few bars, from both Protestant and Catholic faiths. This music also reflects the w...more
Heather
A wonderful introduction to Liturgy and wonderful way to start your day. I love this book except for one matter, if you or someone you love is in the military, Shane Claiborne is a pacifist and some of his writing may not align with yours. His writing about his feelings/ideas on our military is limited to the front introduction but he very clearly (loudy) states his beliefs and while I whole-heartedly support the freedom of speech, I feel maybe this book of liturgy is not the most appropriate pl...more
Jonathan
This is a cool prayer book, and I think it is a good addition to the spiritual life of any community. You can really see the influence from Dietrich Bonhoeffer's "Life Together" in its format. I think it adds a lot to the Christian community who wants to worship the God who loves justice and hears the cry of the poor. It focuses on topics that other common prayer books undervalue. However, the book really, really focuses on those topics at the expense of others, and I would recommend it as one b...more
Frank McPherson
Good resource for prayers.
Jacki
This book has helped me keep a daily ritual of prayer. Even though I seldom had time to read the scripture that goes with each day's prayer and I only knew a few of the songs to hum or sing in my head, I got a lot out of reading all the different prayers and focus my mind on God before I start my day. It gave me a much needed structure, voice, and vocabulary to pray. And much of it was just beautiful to read. I am continuing to use it in my daily life to hold me accountable and keep me in commun...more
Paige
This large book is guided prayers, scripture and song for each day of the year. There are different morning prayers for 365 DOY, mid-day prayer is the same for each day and a different evening prayer for each day of the week (S, M, T, W, Th, F, S). I don't get to it every day, but it is neat to do with your spouse or with the kids.
Joshua Casey
A wonderful introduction into fixed-hour prayer. If you want something more involved, look to Phyllis Tickle's Divine Hours.
This ecumenically-produced work includes prayers, daily readings and songs from nearly every branch of the faith, as well as beautiful art and practical ways to "be the answer of our prayers." Good stuff.
Christi Flagg
I'm enjoying this daily devotional/reader. I think I needed some structure in my prayer life and this is definitely old-school structured. I wish I could read it out loud more, but my cat gets intense when I'm talking to no one and decides I'm in need of intervention. Now I want the travel version to have on my desk at work.
Marie
I found this book disappointing, although perhaps those who are not familiar with The Book of Common Prayer or daily office books might find the material fresh and useful. I was hoping for more inclusive language and postmodern theology, as well as more depth. I much prefer the St. Helena Breviary for personal use.
Wes
This is definitely a useful prayer resource that can help one develop a spiritual rhythm. It can also really help diverse Christian communities find a fresh, integrative liturgy that they can hold in common without any one person feeling like they are leaving their tradition behind entirely.
Jeff
This is a great resource for daily prayer, devotion, or quiet time. I've used this daily in Kindle format for the past two years and with good effect. Helpful prayers, quotes and information as an aid toward the conscientization of one's place and faith in a world among others in need.
Will Hocker
Great little prayer book to have on my iPad. This, plus an e-bible on my iPad, makes the daily office easy to do anywhere. "Common Prayer" also provdes prayers for particular occasions as well as brief reflections on tradition and adjusting prayers to fit one's life.
Beth
Fabulous reminder that "devotions" aren't just happy thoughts about God, but times to reflect on scripture, song, history and current events, and to pray pray pray. Very well done, theologically sound, and quite accessible.
Benjamin
Great Christian liturgy fitting for most gatherings. If unfamiliar with liturgical reading or small group liturgy, I would encourage people to try it a few times to let the medium not be so new and/or awkward.
Robert D. Cornwall
I am enjoying this book. It is an excellent resource for prayer -- both personal and corporate. It's developed for use within the New Monastic Communities. I'll give a fuller review later.
Benjamin Vineyard
This version of Common Prayer receives a high rating for the Compline section alone. Very well done! The Pocket Edition is a good companion for the larger (or online) version of Common Prayer.
Joshunda Sanders
Nice format with beautiful meditations on living in community and following the example of "ordinary radicals" like Sojourner Truth, Dorothy Day, Mother Teresa, Oscar Romero and many more.
  • The Wisdom of Stability: Rooting Faith in a Mobile Culture
  • The Divine Hours (Volume Two): Prayers for Autumn and Wintertime: A Manual for Prayer
  • Celtic Daily Prayer: Prayers and Readings From the Northumbria Community
  • Devotional Classics: Selected Readings for Individuals and Groups
  • Spiritual Disciplines Handbook: Practices That Transform Us
  • Bread for the Journey: A Daybook of Wisdom and Faith
  • Finding Our Way Again: The Return of the Ancient Practices (The Ancient Practices )
  • The New Christians: Dispatches from the Emergent Frontier
  • The Liturgical Year: The Spiraling Adventure of the Spiritual Life - The Ancient Practices Series
  • The Orthodox Heretic And Other Impossible Tales
  • The Jesus Creed: Loving God, Loving Others
  • Love Is an Orientation: Elevating the Conversation with the Gay Community
  • Immortal Diamond: The Search for Our True Self
  • The Powers That Be: Theology for a New Millennium
  • A People's History of Christianity
  • Scripture and the Authority of God: How to Read the Bible Today
  • A Book of Hours
My love of God and my love of the arts seem to have begun simultaneously. I can not remember which awed me first. By age eight I was both an avid collector of crucifix pendants and a writer of poems. Thankfully those first poems are lost somewhere on the African continent.

Fast forward years later through stints in English boarding school, pew-warming in Anglican, Lutheran, Methodist, and Presbyter...more
More about Shane Claiborne...
The Irresistible Revolution: Living as an Ordinary Radical Jesus for President: Politics for Ordinary Radicals Red Letter Revolution: What If Jesus Really Meant What He Said? Becoming the Answer to Our Prayers: Prayer for Ordinary Radicals Red Letter Christianity: Living the Words of Jesus No Matter the Cost

“Lord, free us from our self-deception and attune our hearts to your Spirit, that we might remember how you humbled yourself, and learn to serve one another, whatever our disagreements. Amen.” 1 likes
“Lord, you call us out of captivity into the freedom of your beloved community. As we pass through the wilderness spaces of our lives, grant us ears to hear you, eyes to see you, and hearts that ache for you, that we might not turn away from the brothers and sisters who help us remember who we are. Amen.” 0 likes