Critical Conditions

Critical Conditions (Alan Gregory #6)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  1,490 ratings  ·  71 reviews
An emergency call brings Dr. Alan Gregory to an ICU where fifteen-year-old Merritt Strait is recovering from a suicide attempt. Her stepsister already lies near death-after being refused an experimental treatment that could save her life. When an executive with the family's HMO is shot dead, Alan discovers the shocking truth about Merritt-and a family that will stop at not...more
Published August 4th 2009 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published March 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Critical Conditions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Critical Conditions

Melissa
A good read but not as good with the therapist/cop duo as Johnathan Kellerman. Alan Gregory is called in to consult on a girl who is brought in to the ER having overdosed and in critical condition. The plot twists in that she is the older sister of a baby who has been in the news due to having heart problems and the managed health care company refusing to pay for what they think is experimental treatment.

It is an interesting story but was hard to me to get into and then is a bit winding and con...more
Marilyn
Life can be pretty mundane for Dr. Alan Gregory, a psychology Dr. in Boulder Colorado. All of a sudden things have picked up tho. A young girl has tried to commit suicide and a cohort has called for him to come do an evaluation on her. Come to find out she's the sister of a little 2 year old who has been in the news for the past while, fighting for her life with a heart infection, but being rejected by the insurance company for a new heart. About the same time, Dr. Gregory goes to pick up his co...more
KarenC
Nov 20, 2010 KarenC rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to KarenC by: series
An interesting plot line, watching a psychologist at work and how he treads the fine line between not revealing his patient's role in events while trying to work with the police to solve a murder in which the teenage patient is fully implicated. The writing style and plot presentation drew me in and I kept reading when I should have quit. Observing the manner in which Dr. Gregory approached people and drew out information was interesting. Considering each character and ruling them out as suspect...more
Ed
Apr 21, 2011 Ed rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Psych and crime thriller fans.
My fourth Stephen White/Alan Gregory novel and certainly the most compelling so far. I think, I am finally to the point where I am not comparing White's work with Jonathan Kellerman's books.

In this story, Gregory is called in because a 15-year-old girl, Merritt Strait, attempts suicide. Merritt's stepsister is dying and her HMO refuses pay for an experimental,potentially lifesaving operation. Soon the HMO's founder is found murdered and the evidence implicates Merritt as the killer.

A number of...more
Michael Bazulka
Predictable, in a word. Not well written with a contrived second ending because what great murder mystery and 1970's era cop TV show doesn't end with a chase. When the fascists rear their ugly heads looking for books to burn, guiltlessly turn this one over.
Lynn Pribus
This is my third read in this series, although they are not in order at all. I've been downloading from the library and not all are available. I have #1 in the series waiting for me in hardcover at the library.

I like the reader and this one had twists in the plot which were nice. These are not violent mysteries and the development of the relationships in various characters are interesting, too. Nicely written language-wise, too.

As a clinical psychologist the "I" of these novels in constantly fru...more
Andy Plonka
Though the chances of all the events in this book happening require that one accept a large dose of willing suspension of disbelief, I really enjoyed it especially the ride several of the main characters had on the baggage transportation system in Denver International Airport. The relationships between family members in the Trent family was well done.
Lisa
These books are always a lot more complicated than is first apparent. There are murders to solve and the culprit keeps changing as the story gets more complicated. The man murdered is in charge of a Health Insurance fund and the accused is the sister of a critically ill little girl. The little sister may be saved by an experimental procedure but the health insurance wont pay for it.
But as I have grown to expect in these books, nothing is as simple as it seems.
You need to read to the end - two mo...more
Samantha
I really enjoyed this book. I liked the concept of both of the kids in the family being in trouble in different ways. I was interested in how the managed care system wouldn't pay for the treatment and how the other child almost commits suicide. I loved the character interactions of how they figure out the mysteries of what happened and when. However the ending of this book was awful. First of all, it wrapped up too fast and it didn't make a lot of sense. The ending of it was illogical and was no...more
Jmcrossfl
Good book, an interesting read. I actually really like most books by Stephen White.
Freyja Vanadis
May 07, 2011 Freyja Vanadis rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: not really anyone
I thought the ending was utterly ridiculous, with the chase scene in the baggage section of the airport. Also, White didn't do a good job of speaking like a 15 year old girl when he had Merritt describe her seduction scene with Ed Robilio. And the way he had the skycap speak, adding a few "I be here" or "it be there" to make sure we knew the guy was black, was just plain silly. If this had been the first Stephen White book I'd ever read, I would stop right there and not read any more. However, I...more
Amanda
The novel was not as suspenseful as I had hoped it to be. It already seemed predictable from the moment I read the description on the back cover, save for a small twist at the end. A young teenager refusing to speak is not much of an attention-grabber, and the actual plot of the story was only partially intriguing. However, being a new Alan Gregory reader, his writing style was well-developed and the book was not so boring that I wasn't able to finish it. Although I probably would not highly rec...more
Judy
Nov 26, 2010 Judy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
Recommended to Judy by: bookcrosser
Shelves: my-2010-books
I'm not sure I would agree with Goodread's description of "pulse-pounding", but this was a pretty good light read. I was pretty unsure how it would turn out (except I knew it would all be OK). It got pretty convoluted toward the end, and the scene at the end at DIA was too much!! I'm so jealous, I've always wanted to tour the baggage handling system there! LOL, a fun read overall if you suspend your disbelief. Dr. Gregory is OK as a protagonist if you forget that someone like him is unlikely to...more
Richard Etzel
Dr Alan Gregory is again the story teller in this novel. The plot has many twists and turns. Different characters come into scrutiny but then recede from the spotlight as holes develop around his/her involvement. Fascinating read keeping me turning pages as quick as I could. A gruesome murder, a not likable victim, a host of possible suspects keep the story going to the very end. As often happens in the genre author gets to the end and has a weak improbable solution. In spite of that I recommend...more
Lynn Shurden
Haven't read a Stephen White book in a while and don't know how I missed this one. But as always enjoy his books. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The tangled webs that we lead in any of our lives certainly were outlined in this story with the beginning of a teenager wanting to desperately help her very ill little sister. The helplessness of a family dealing with the large corporations that are now our health care providers (and ones who can determine what procedures one has) is only going to get worse...more
Liz
A good solid detective story. A kind of Jonathon Kellerman 'lite' if you will: a psychologist with a cop partner. Some of the interrelationships between the suspects got a little confusing and made it a more complicated mystery. I liked the theme of women and girls who get themselves in dangerous situations because they feel they have to "sell" themselves to help others. Would read another of the Alan Gregory books. I have just about read all the Kellerman books so this series is a welcome repla...more
Jodi
Alan Gregory has no idea what he's getting into when he's asked to take on a suicidal teenager and it isn't just because she isn't talking. It's because nothing about the case is adding up. Her infant sister is dying of a rare disease. The man in charge of the insurance company that is denying her treatment is found dead. Everyone is connected to everyone else, even if they don't know it. The mystery was very done and Gregory had reason to be where he was for a change. I look forward to the next...more
Missmath144
Jul 02, 2010 Missmath144 rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Missmath144 by: I think it was a library customer.
Merritt tried to commit suicide. The teenager is not talking at all. Our protagonist is a psychotherapist called in to treat her. Meanwhile Merritt's baby sister is lying in The Denver Children's Hospital near death. The insurance company won't pay for expensive, experimental treatment for her. Dead Ed is a doctor who was killed a couple days before. Our protagonist finds bloody clothes and Dead Ed's gun in Merritt's bedroom. All these plots come together in a pretty good mystery.
Mitabird (reviews on BookLikes)
Critical Conditions is the 5th book in the Dr. Alan Gregory series. It started off really good. His patient, Merritt, is a 15 yo girl suspected of murder. However, she is remaining silent and Alan and his detective friend are trying to find out what happened without her help. The book started going downhill when she started speaking again to tell Alan the truth to what happened. It just seemed a little far-fetched.
Ginny
One child is dying of a heart condition and your HMO will not approve the treatments to cure her, your other child has attempted suicide and is in ICU, and may have something to do with the death of an executive of the HMO. Can life get more complicated than that. Dr. Gregory has to step into the middle of this mess and council the young suicide victim.

A very good Alan Gregory novel.
Rhonda
always a fan of stephen white - this one was especially good. there was a lot of intertwining of characters and story lines and a cool and unusual chase scene. an interesting and timely story involving a toddler whose life hangs in the balance as an insurance company determines her fate; to approve or not approve an experimental procedure. really good and a fast read.
Roberta Marro
Stephen White is another Colorado author who is one of my favorites. I think I have read all of his Allen Gregory novels, and enjoyed them all. I feel comfortable with the settings, because I've been most of the places he talks about. He always has a well crafted story. I listened to this one, but I think I also read it, probably own it.
Tracy Walters
I really enjoy Dr. Alan Gregory mysteries by Stephen White. Alan Gregory is a great character who is very down to earth and someone you can relate to. This was a great story of a child trying to protect her family and the lengths she was willing to go to do it. I recommend reading this and any other Stephen White books you can get your hands on.
Susan
This is yet another in the series featuring psychologist Dr. Alan Gregory in his Boulder, CO practice. I found this series after there were already 10 published. It was a great find. The stories are all very engaging. They are more like putting on a favorite old slipper than a fabulous jeweled pump. I still have 3 more to read!
Misty
Not bad! I enjoyed this book, actually. It was kind of a page turner and had some interesting bits, but it had a few lulls. My standard is The Da Vinci Code so 4 stars is really not bad! It's a good book. Recommended. I like this author. He writes from the perspective of a pscychiatrist. Very cool.
Bonnie
I loved reading about Denver and being able to actually picture Boulder or Channel 7. That was great. I also liked how White accurately portrayed the blood sucking good-for-nothing medical insurance companies.
The plot was pretty good. Could've done without the final climax moment.
Stephanie
While this was certainly another solid installment in the Alan Gregory series it didn't had quite as much punch as the other novels. The pace was slow, and the story almost so convoluted that I didn't care to see it resolved. Nonetheless, it was an enjoyable enough read.
Mary Newcomb
Dr Alan Gregory is called to the ER for a suicidal teen. As he works his psychological magic he finds himself in a complex murder mystery. I like this series but this tale seems a bit improbable. The coincidences strained my belief although the final chase scene is unusual.
Tim
Fact is, this is not that exciting of a story until the end. It’s mostly trite, mundane and centered around teenage girls. The pursuit of defenseless teenage victims through Denver International is not enough to make for a riveting novel. 3 of 10 stars
  • Trio for Blunt Instruments (Nero Wolfe, #39)
  • The Burning Man
  • Killer Ambition (Rachel Knight, #3)
  • Republic (America's Future, #1)
  • The Pied Piper (Boldt/Matthews #5)
  • Hermit's Peak (Kevin Kerney, #4)
  • Hocus (Irene Kelly #5)
  • Mutant (Dr. Richard Steele, #1)
  • Obstruction of Justice (Nina Reilly, #3)
  • Dead Paradise: L.A. Dead / Cold Paradise (Stone Barrington, #6, #7)
  • High Crimes
  • Killing Custer (Wind River Reservation, #17)
  • The Hunter
  • Strip Search (Susan Pulaski #2)
20950

Stephen White is the author of the New York Times bestselling Alan Gregory novels. In his books, he draws upon over fifteen years of clinical practice as a psychologist to create intriguing plots and complex, believable characters.

Born on Long Island, White grew up in New Y...more
More about Stephen White...
Kill Me (Alan Gregory, #14) Privileged Information (Alan Gregory, #1) Missing Persons (Alan Gregory, #13) Private Practices (Alan Gregory, #2) Dry Ice (Alan Gregory #15)

“I hold the hands of people I never touch.
I provide comfort to people I never embrace.
I watch people walk into brick walls, the same ones over and over again, and I coax them to turn around and try to walk in a different direction.
People rarely see me gladly. As a rule, I catch the residue of their despair. I see people who are broken, and people who only think they are broken. I see people who have had their faces rubbed in their failures. I see weak people wanting anesthesia and strong people who wonder what they have done to make such an enemy of fate. I am often the final pit stop people take before they crawl across the finish line that is marked: I give up.
Some people beg me to help.
Some people dare me to help.
Sometimes the beggars and the dare-ers look the same. Absolutely the same. I'm supposed to know how to tell them apart.
Some people who visit me need scar tissue to cover their wounds.
Some people who visit me need their wounds opened further, explored for signs of infection and contamination. I make those calls, too.
Some days I'm invigorated by it all. Some days I'm numbed.
Always, I'm humbled by the role of helper.
And, occasionally, I'm ambushed.
~ Stephen White "Critical Conditions”
5 likes