Start by marking “The Lazy Man's Guide to Enlightenment” as Want to Read:
The Lazy Man's Guide to Enlightenment

The Lazy Man's Guide to Enlightenment

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  324 ratings  ·  40 reviews
This final, definitive edition of The Lazy Man’s Guide to Enlightenment, also known as the Young Person’s Guide Edition, features 3 new and previously unpublished chapters, "EXPAND!”, "FREE WILL”, and "WHO’S ON FIRST?”, as well as an addendum to the book, "A Young Person’s Guide to Enlightenment,” with final conclusions offered by author Thaddeus Golas, as he paves the way ...more
Paperback, A Young Person's Guide Edition, Revised, and Augmented by Author Thaddeus Golas, 91 pages
Published January 11th 2011 by Seed Center Books, Even Lazier Publishing, Ltd. (first published January 1st 1972)

Secrets of the Realm by Bev StoutBeyond Bridalveil Fall by Sheryl SealBeyond Oria Falls by Sheryl SealPhenomena by Susan TarrBeyond the World of Man by Sheryl Seal
Inspiring Books
392nd out of 401 books — 532 voters
A Tale of Two Cities by Charles DickensSwann's Way by Marcel ProustSense and Sensibility by Jane AustenGreat Expectations by Charles DickensThe Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman by Laurence Sterne
Classics of Self-Publishing (Pre-1990)
23rd out of 25 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Robin Clark
We are equal beings and the universe is our relations with each other. Thaddeus Golas.

There it is! Enlightenment! So, so simple. So profound. Easy, simple. Now relax for the rest of your life and be happy.
Deborah
The 2008 edition is great. Some snippets:

A constantly expanding love...

* The attitude toward any goal: nice if it happens; nice if it doesn’t. It’s OK. You won’t mind letting go of one beautiful experience because love will make the next one just as rewarding.

* Take the example of music, letting go of one note to hear the next, then our pleasure can be constant though the vibrations change.

* If we ‘listen’ to the world, and let it act on us without either-or judgements and ideas, then we can com
Doc
Possibly the thinnest most entertaining essay on enlightenment ever written. 80 pages of purely great stuff!
Guy
I have an ambivalent reaction to this book. It gave me no new understanding, but I like that Golas aligned himself with Chuang Tzu and like Taoists who argue against straining and struggling to take actions or achieve understanding.

It is likely at a more challenging level to spiritual/philosophical ideas than an introduction, but will be unnecessary for people who have been seriously struggling with the spiritual/philosophical meanings of life for any length of time.

I like his blunt way of stati
Dan
highly recommended
Thaddeus Golas
Aug 24, 2012 Thaddeus Golas rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
For those on the road still trying to thumb a ride, this book will show you how to make it on your own. There is no other way. Being the lazy man’s lazy man, I quickly went to the last pages and back cover to glean the quintessential enlightenment offered in the excerpts. How can I be lazy and accelerate my vibrations to encompass all that wisdom in a flash, you may ask? Chapter 7 answers that If you’re the kind of person caught up in sin, asceticism, rejection of earthly enjoyment, or other evi ...more
Lauren Albert
I bought this book a million years ago. I found it on my shelf and read it in a sitting (it is very short). I guess I'm not very enlightened because I kept finding my attention distracted by all of the mentions of LSD. Published in 1972, it shows that it was published in 1972. I guess I have to work towards the enlightenment that lets me read it without focusing on all of the off-hand references to LSD and other drugs.
CutFromAbove
Even though it's short, it's quite heavy and there were more than a few important lessons. It's really impossible to make a proper review of this book, because it is really for someone who is 'on the path to enlightenment.' You've got to have at least read a few self-help books for this to be of any use to you at all, otherwise it just won't make any sense at all. However, if you've journeyed a little bit, there are a couple of ideas (no resistance, love that you hate it, vibration levels) that ...more
Uvindex
"Si reconocemos que la fealdad está siempre en nuestro interior, seremos libres de crear la belleza." Thaddeus Golas.

Este ensayo filosófico entre otras cosas destaca la naturaleza dual y por "niveles" del individuo, el universo creado a partir las interacciones entre los seres, que dependen del grado de exteriorizacion del mismo, donde ya no existe más el yo, el ego, sino un intercambio de emociones, donde el amor es el ingrediente principal que nos hace vivir plenamente.
Es un libro ampliamente
Kevin Summers
This book contains some valuable spiritual insights (although the drug references are dated).

Sample quotes:

"Anything that really frightens you may contain a clue to enlightenment. It may indicate to you how deeply you are attached to structure, whether mental, physical, or social."

"The state of mind that most needs enlightenment is the one that sees human beings as needing to be guided or enlightened."

"What we see is always ourselves. It is useless to correct anyone's behavior. If he knew what h
Gregg Bell
I remember about twenty-five years ago, at a time in my life that I needed something to help me live, standing in a Waldenbooks store in a mall, facing a huge wall of books, maybe a hundred and fifty. Instantly my eyes were drawn to this tiny book called The Lazy Man's Guide to Enlightenment. I plucked if off the shelf. It must be a joke with a title like that, right? I thought. But I was intrigued by what I perused. I bought the book, took it home and spent hours reading and digesting it.

Then a
Brad Spudich
This was a surprisingly great read, especially for under 80 pages. Despite bits of the expected stereotypical 'hippie-enlightment' (psychedelics), there's a ton of reflective wisdom on opening up to oneself and enjoying life more. Golas views enlightenment as a flexible term with a basis of being able to continuously expand our consciousness and embrace all emotions.

"It can be safely predicted that, as you grow more loving of yourself and others, you will in this lifetime begin seeing every pers
Norman Haase
This is the book that I've given away to at least 100 individuals over the last 20 years. Of the countless books I've read on the subject of enlightenment/higher consciousness (ok, so I'm a slow learner), this little book captures all of the essentials without obfuscation, in a scant 80 pages. There was a time when I read it cover-to-cover each and every day, and I've never been so clear, expanded, loving and happy (so why did I stop, you ask? What fun is life on Earth if we can't be dense and c ...more
Relbie
I felt so good after reading this book. It has helped me in many ways, to accept myself and others more, to understand the world around us... It has simple answers for complicated questions. It's a tiny book with a huge world inside, one of these works you can't put down once you start reading. I'm really glad I bought it. Highly recommended for everyone.
Steve Are
Mar 31, 2010 Steve Are rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: open, inquiring minds.
this book still informs my world-view. t'was truly hard to comprehend much of it at first, first coupla attempts failures till i finally just forced myself to read straight thru it, worry about understanding it later.
written in '72, on the tail of the "summer of love," it references psycedelics as a way of opening your mind to realities otherwise unavailable for the most part and if you can get past that non-essential, you'll be good.
he essentially says everything vibrates, is a vibration, tha
Stefan Meyer
If you want the secret to life succinctly boiled down to eighty small pages, this is the book for you! Golas sets down the basic principles of life in quick order: We are all equal. The universe is nothing but live beings, each controlling their own destiny. Nothing needs to be corrected. We are free to experience the world as we desire. Our choice at any given moment is simply whether to expand or contract our awareness. Therefore, our experiences are in accord with our state of consciousness. ...more
Alethea Hammer

I first read this book many years ago and I thought it was shallow and trite. I was wrong. I brought my own shallowness and triteness to the experience. The book is good. Short, but helpful.
Ricardo Lieuw on
Entertaining read. Very nice way of viewing things. Gives little to no proper argumentation for most of its propositions though. Still very useful! Got a blissful feeling while reading it and will definitely fall back on it regularly.
Stephanie Foley
This book is an easy and meaningful read. The Voracious Reader presents a video summary here: http://youtu.be/TPBbIpAaodE
Adam
a truly phenomenal piece of psychedelic literature. I hope in time its rating will reach 4.20
O.R. Melling
I think of this book as the fringe festival to the teachings of the Dalai Lama (which I have attended twice, in India). A New York writer friend gave me an original copy years ago and now I have the new edition. I always go back to Golas for sustenance of soul and mind. He's a constant companion when I travel. Very comforting in times of turbulence, including the kind you get on airplanes ...
Elodie
I learned a lot of very interesting things on the universe, love and our cosmic vibrations. Ultimately it's a really good book to read and think about without using the ideas with too much dogmatism.
Everything is quite positive and reminds you that everything is possible at any given time. Sometimes, this is what we need to keep in mind.
Shea
A patron at the library lent me his copy of this. It kind of makes me think about the koan at the end of Dogen's Genjokoan where the monk says to Mayu, "The nature of the wind is permanent, and there is nowhere that it doesn't reach. So why do you still fan yourself?" It all sounds good in a book, but is it functioning in your life?
Sandra Henderson
All-time favorite book on spirituality. What ever else I read or learn, the ideas always lead back to the simplicity of this book, we're all, everything is made out of love, spirit and the more we embrace that idea, the better. Easier said than done though.
Rick Muir
Oct 19, 2007 Rick Muir rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: crazy hippies.
If you can overlook the LSD references, there's some really interesting philosophy in this little book. I pick it up now and then to remind myself of the possibilities of this world and how the definition of infinity has gotten smaller in todays world.
Carlo
Another short read that can be picked up at any time and read from any part in the book full of in depth philosophy of living a fulfilling life and to learn to love yourself for things you may look at as weaknesses. Full of great quotes.
Darren Berg
Wonderful, simple, straightforward. While the language, and references to the drug culture of the 60's and 70's, date the book a bit. It doesn't date the message.

BiL
Wow, I found the first edition of this for a dollar at the used bookstore down the street from my house. A fun little historic 60's literature to read indeed.
Ben
Love it the way it is--then it can change.
This is just one of the sayings from this wise book that have been helpful to me many times over the years.
  • Becoming Your Own Therapist
  • At Home in the Muddy Water: A Guide to Finding Peace Within Everyday Chaos
  • The Way To Freedom
  • The Chakras
  • Essential Buddhism: A Complete Guide to Beliefs and Practices
  • Big Sky Mind: Buddhism and the Beat Generation
  • Science of Breath
  • A Practical Guide to Buddhist Meditation
  • Work as a Spiritual Practice: A Practical Buddhist Approach to Inner Growth and Satisfaction on the Job
  • The Bible of Karate: Bubishi
  • Yoga Body, Buddha Mind
  • The Foundations of Buddhism
  • The Yoga of Breath: A Step-by-Step Guide to Pranayama
  • The Basic Writings of C.G. Jung
Born in 1924 in Paterson, New Jersey, to Polish Catholic parents, Thaddeus Golas was a child of Einstein's Relativity but also of the Great Depression.

He served a long European tour of duty in WWII, and was in Patton's Third Army in Antwerp, but narrowly avoided combat at the Battle of the Bulge. The G.I. Bill helped him earn a BA in General Humanities from New York's Columbia University where he
More about Thaddeus Golas...
The Lazy Man's Guide to Enlightenment  (Audio CD) Love and Pain The Cosmic Airdrome The Lazy Man's Life Lazy Man's Guide to Enlightenment

“I can't say I know at this moment what all these laws are. But on some level everybody knows that we are all getting exactly what we deserve.” 11 likes
“No matter what your spiritual condition is, no matter where you find yourself in the universe, your choice is always the same: to expand your awareness or contract it.” 6 likes