Start by marking “You'll Lose the Baby Weight: (And Other Lies about Pregnancy and Childbirth)” as Want to Read:
You'll Lose the Baby Weight: (And Other Lies about Pregnancy and Childbirth)

You'll Lose the Baby Weight: (And Other Lies about Pregnancy and Childbirth)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  20 reviews
You’ll Lose the Baby Weight is a humorous look at pregnancy and childbirth. The author shares the parts about pregnancy that your doctor doesn’t tell you--like how many times you are asked to pee whether you want to or not, from figuring out if you're pregnant by peeing on a pee stick to every time you go in for your doctor visit. And ...more
Published November 2nd 2010 by Howard Books (first published October 25th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about You'll Lose the Baby Weight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You'll Lose the Baby Weight

Peyton
If I had read this during my first pregnancy (or spread it out over the course of many days instead of all in one sitting), I probably would have scored it higher. The writing is amusing, and the author has a lot of fun stories, but the only thing new I got out of this was not to worry if my toddler decides to eat Mommy's Tums (apparently, not toxic for the under-two set).

Meehan is a funny woman, doesn't make any bones about knowing more about pregnancy than you get from having a lot of experie
Kilian Metcalf
Dawn Meehan is the first writer I've found since Erma Bombeck who can write about motherhood and childrearing in a way that makes me laugh instead of running screaming from the room. There's no room for sentiment in this funny, quirky, and honest view of the journey that is pregnancy and delivery. I've never been pregnant, but my friends and relatives tell me that she is spot on. You don't have to be a mother to laugh along with Dawn.
Jessica
This book is laugh-out-loud funny. I loved reading a book that covers many of pregnancy's quirks and difficulties while still making pregnancy sound wonderful. The text is never depressing, cynical, or overwhelming. It is fun and upbeat.

I would recommend this as an entertaining pregnancy read, not a text that will prepare you incredibly well. If you only want to read one book to prepare you for the stages of pregnancy, select a different book. If you're looking to find the humor in your varicose
isaac nolte
hilariously enlightening

Thank you!! Someone finally told the truth! I truly appreciate your humor as well. Reading this book in public places might not be the best idea unless you want people to think you're a lunatic for laughing so hard!
Erika
Loved this book! It was hilarious and had me laughing out loud every other page. FYI, it is NOT a medical "What to Expect When You're Expecting" type of book, it's simply one person's descriptions of positive/negative/humorous experiences of pregnancy. I did particularly find the chapter on labor/delivery interesting though -- it's nice to get a blow-by-blow account that's not trying to minimize the painful or gross parts.

Originally I was reading this as my own pregnancy progressed (I'm due with
Alicia
quick read, more an entertaining read than an informative one, but I enjoyed the humorous perspective.
Claire
Just a collection of cliches. Not worth it.
Ciara
yeah, i don't know. it was really just okay. i've probably read way too many books like this--humorous essays about pregnancy & parenting. they are all blending together for me & it takes something really spectacular to make one stand out from the pack. aside from the fact that meehan brings the experience of having borne six children to the table, there was nothing too spectacular here. amusing enough, probably worth a read in the bathtub some night when you're experiencing pregnancy-re ...more
Jessica Hollo
Obviously meant to be funny and sarcastic, but it was still a but much for me...maybe this was because I read this at the end of my pregnancy when I was cranky, but seems it would be discouraging anyway in early pregnancy...don't recommend!
Anna Beth
She's funny, but a little pessimistic and TOO honest at times, if that's even possible! I wondered if she loved anything about her pregnancy...I guess she had to, since she has 6 kids.
Read it if you like to laugh, and don't mind the honesty.
Andrea
I enjoyed this book. It was a fun read, and it was entertaining when it came to remembering pregnancy, etc.

I think if you have been pregnant before and are a mom you might agree and enjoy the stories she shares!
Jamiecookson
Hilarious! Absolutely loved every minute of this book and OFTEN found myself laughing out loud... which was only slightly embarrassing since I was typically in the dr's waiting room when I was reading this one :)
Jen
This is a mom's of six lighthearted look at pregnancy, and funny anecdotes. Some stories were funny and interesting, but overall, the book wasn't that interesting to me, and the writing style got a little annoying.
Kristen
I'm not pregnant, but this book is hilarious as well as informative. It's nice to know the things that people won't tell you before you have a baby haha. Now I have a heads up for when that time comes.
Nicole
Do not read this before labor or pregnancy. The stories might give you unnecessary fears. This book was a very easy read, humor, sarcasm, etc.
Christina
Hilarious. This was a very quick and funny read. I enjoyed it very much- especially since I am currently 21 months pregnant (ok, ok, only 9...)
Chris
Just as funny as the first one! Loved it!
Amy
funny and so true
Christiane
Christiane marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Chandel Plester
Chandel Plester marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Sasirubesh
Sasirubesh marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Whitney Lebron
Whitney Lebron marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Leah
Leah added it
Mar 09, 2015
Megan
Megan is currently reading it
Feb 26, 2015