Start by marking “Thieves Get Rich, Saints Get Shot (Hailey's War #2)” as Want to Read:
Thieves Get Rich, Saints Get Shot (Hailey's War #2)

Thieves Get Rich, Saints Get Shot (Hailey's War #2)

Thieves Get Rich, Saints Get Shot is the gripping sequel to Jodi Compton’s Hailey’s War. When we last left her, West Point dropout Hailey Cain had defied a powerful mobster to protect a pregnant teenager and child. The events of Hailey’s War nearly cost Cain her life, but Thieves Get Rich, Saints Get Shot sees Hailey back in Los Angeles, now second-in-command to rising gan ...more
Published July 19th 2011 by Crown (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Thieves Get Rich, Saints Get Shot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thieves Get Rich, Saints Get Shot

Cheryl
Jul 28, 2011 Cheryl rated it liked it
Things are alright with Hailey. Nothing that a missing finger will keep Hailey down. Hailey is going strong as Serena’s right hand woman. Hailey has also taken up fighting in the ring for money. Things just may be looking up for Hailey. Nope, I spoke too soon. Hailey has just become the number one suspect in a murder investigation. To make matters worse, one of the victims was a cop.

Thieves Get Rich, Saints Get Shot is the follow up to Hailey’s War. It is recommended that you read Hailey’s War
Owen
Aug 01, 2011 Owen rated it it was ok
In compliance with FTC guidelines, I disclose that I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

The first thing I noticed while I was reading this book was how awkward the 'street' dialogue was between the 2 main characters, the white Hailey and the Hispanic gang leader Serena. The oddly placed slang, seemingly arbitrary use of Spanish words to emphasize their gang lifestyle, and overall tone came off as a product of someone from a privileged background who's only exposure to L.A
Caitlin
Jul 08, 2012 Caitlin rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
I really enjoyed Ms. Compton's first book, Hailey's War (read my review), but somehow missed that her second had come it so I was very happy to run across it on GoodReads in some random way.

Once again Ms. Compton has written a great thriller with interesting characters and a different take on how things work. The fact that her main characters are tough women trying to make it independently in worlds where that is very difficult makes these books even better.

Thieves Get Rich, Saints Get Shot is a
Katherine
May 21, 2011 Katherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, reviewed
This is not the actual edition I read but since the uncorrected proof which I won in the Goodreads Giveaway is not listed I am using the hard cover edition. This is one of the best first reads I have won and it apparently is the seond in a series with Hailey Cain, a West Point dropout ( not really) and present day member of an all girl LA gang ( really ) As a matter of fact she is the only white member and is the blond lieutenant,Insula, for the leader, Serena "Warchild" Delgadilla, a friend sin ...more
Terri
Sep 12, 2011 Terri rated it it was amazing
'Thieves Get Rich, Saints Get Shot' by Jodi Compton is the sequel to another book, 'Hailey's War.' In 'Thieves Get Rich', Hailey has now moved on from the debacle with Nidia Hernandez and Skouras' boys. Now she is the full-fledged lieutenant of the sucias and is working along side her friend Serena. But when news comes out of San Francisco that Hailey Cain is the prime suspect in the murder of an affluent old woman, Hailey doesn't cower or doesn't turn herself into the cops to try and explain th ...more
Kris
Jun 04, 2011 Kris rated it liked it
I received an ARC of this book in a first reads giveaway.

I haven't read the first book in this series, but I didn't feel like I missed out on anything (not that I would know if I had). Hailey Cain is the only white member of a gang. Because she took Rosa's place as second-in-command, Rosa wants to take over the gang now. In addition, an anti-gang detect is taking a growing interest in the gang, and Hailey is suspected for the murder of two people--a crime that she didn't commit (as she was busy
Jessica
Aug 02, 2011 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure, thriller
Thieves Get Rich, Saints Get Shot is the follow up to Hailey's War (which I didn't read but the backstory is all laid out for readers like myself). Hailey was two months shy of graduating West Point when the army gave her a medical discharge due to a deadly brain tumor which compromises her judgment and impairs her sense of fear. SHe hooks up with Serena "Warchild" Delgadillo, the leader of a Latina female gang in Los Angeles. Warchild calls Hailey informing her she is wanted for a double murder ...more
Tara Chevrestt
Jul 22, 2011 Tara Chevrestt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, arc, 2011-release
This is a sequel to Hailey's War. Hailey was once a West Point cadet with high aspirations, but the discovery of a brain tumor got her kicked out of the military and a sequence of really mucked up life events has led to Hailey being a gang banger with a missing finger and no capacity for fear... that last bit is due to the brain tumor. The scrapes Hailey gets into, such as locking herself in the trunk of the car of the guy who cut her finger off could be considered brave... but Hailey wonders if ...more
Carmen
Jun 22, 2011 Carmen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads, 2011
At first I did not think I would be able to read this. Supporting a gang is unacceptable to me. I had to remember to lighten up, it's fiction. Ha! I found Jody Compton to be an excellent writer to keep my attention and continue reading. This was a book I could not put down. It was fast moving, adventurous and a great read. I look forward to reading more of her books.

I won this book for free through Goodreads first reads giveaway! Thank you Crown Publishers!
Sara Henry
Jul 15, 2011 Sara Henry rated it it was amazing
Yes, it would be good if you first got your hands on the first in this series, the superb HAILEY'S WAR, but you don't have to. Jodi's protagonist, Hailey Cain, is possibly my favorite female protagonist in US suspense/crime writing - gutsy, complex, memorable - and Jodi's novels are simply crackerjack: among the most richly nuanced I've read, tightly plotted and paced, with a helluva emotional punch. I recommend highly.
Sarah Ainge
I give up on it
Kaytlin Hoover
Jun 25, 2011 Kaytlin Hoover rated it liked it
I won an ARC copy of this book through First-Reads Giveaways.
I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. Hailey Cain is a fascinating character on top of being likeable, so I found myself caring about her even though it was hard to relate to her personally. Thieves Get Rich, Saints Get Shot is a fast, enjoyable read.
Beth Southard
I didn't connect on the first disc. By the time I got to 2nd disc, enough action enriched the dry, cynical, monotone "voice" of Hailey Cain. So, now I am interested in what happens. More later..

I drive a lot and love the format. Also,this format helps me focus a little when I am working on something else.

O
Fredrick Danysh
Jun 23, 2011 Fredrick Danysh rated it it was amazing
Shelves: advance-read
Discharged from the Military Academy for a brain tumor, Hailey joins a female gang and is accussed of killing policemen. The only trouble is that she is not a cop killer. Free copy for review purposes.
Kay
Aug 13, 2011 Kay rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I would have given it an additional half star if possible. This is a sequel to Hailey's War which I really enjoyed. Something was lacking in this book. However, it was one of those 'quick reads'.
Melodi
May 23, 2011 Melodi rated it liked it
I liked the book from the beginning till it got close to the end. I didn't like the ending. I thought it would be more interesting. I was hoping for something really unexpected but it was just okay.
Sana Noor
May 22, 2012 Sana Noor rated it did not like it
Shelves: first-reads
I didn't quite like this book. I guess the story didn't quite mesh well with me or something. Or maybe it was too raw for me, but then again i've been known to like raw books. Hmm?
Fredrick
May 19, 2011 Fredrick rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Hailey Cain joins a female gang after her dismissal from West Point. After she is framed for a double murder she attempts to prove her innocence. Ii enjoyed this story.
Susie
May 31, 2011 Susie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. You can tell by the ending that there will be more in the series and I would read more. The plot was different and had surprising twists and turns.
Trudy
May 26, 2011 Trudy rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Good reading. Interesting and different. Will want to keep up with where Hailley goes next and go back and read the 1st book.
Terri A. Wilson
Oct 03, 2011 Terri A. Wilson rated it really liked it
After reading fantasy all summer, this series is a pleasant surprise. Hoping there is going to be more.
Nicole
Jul 28, 2011 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-read
I got this book as part of the first reads program. I just finished reading it and really enjoyed it!
Evanthia Campione
Loved it! Very engaging plot!
Cass
Dec 23, 2013 Cass rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
loved it! cant wait for the next one
Anthony
Feb 17, 2012 Anthony rated it liked it
It was fun. Quick easy read.
Hira
Jun 23, 2011 Hira rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Review coming really soon! :)
Eileen Erwin
Eileen Erwin rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2016
C. E.
C. E. rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2016
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Cathy
Cathy rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2016
  • Sara's Gift: Comes the Crow
  • Somewhere West of Roads
  • A Wedding to Die For (The Alvarez Family Murder Mystery Series, #2)
  • America's Deadliest Twister: The Tri-State Tornado of 1925
  • Burning Prospects
  • Your Teacher Said What?!: Defending Our Kids from the Liberal Assault on Capitalism
  • Parker Field
  • The Insider
  • Under Fire
  • Tradition!: The Highly Improbable, Ultimately Triumphant Broadway-to-Hollywood Story of Fiddler on the Roof, the World's Most Beloved Musical
  • Mortal Ambitions
  • A Song in My Heart
  • Source*Forged Armor (John Angstrom #1)
  • The L.A. Dodger (Ballpark Mysteries, #3)
  • Dance Macabre (A Handful of Secrets # 7)
  • The Harvest Killings
  • Laughter Is Sacred Space: The Not-So-Typical Journey of a Mennonite Actor
  • Tempted by You
Jodi Compton, like Hailey Cain, is "Californian in a way a lot of people are Californian; I was born someplace else." Jodi has lived in California since the age of one, except for a brief stint in Minneapolis. In addition to the two Hailey Cain novels, Jodi is the author of two novels about Minneapolis detective Sarah Pribek, The 37th Hour and Sympathy Between Humans. She currently lives outside S ...more
More about Jodi Compton...

Hailey's War (2 books)
  • Hailey's War (Hailey's War #1)