Start by marking “Why She Buys: The New Strategy for Reaching the World's Most Powerful Consumers” as Want to Read:
Why She Buys: The New Strategy for Reaching the World's Most Powerful Consumers

Why She Buys: The New Strategy for Reaching the World's Most Powerful Consumers

If the consumer economy had a sex, it would be female. If the business world had a sex, it would be male. And therein lies the pickle. Women are the engine of the global economy, driving 80 percent of consumer spending in the United States alone. They hold the purse strings, and when they've got a tight grip on them as they do now, companies must be shrewder than ever to w ...more
Published September 13th 2011 by RHUS (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Why She Buys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why She Buys

Sam Choi
Typical of practically every business book I've read -- interesting title, about 5 pages of insight scattered among 200 pages of random assertions, truisms, anecdotes, and general "duh!?!" stories.

I bought this so I might help my wife with her women's boutique. But most of the content consists of the author trying to convince the reader that women shop differently from men, with stories of "duh?!?" moments of male-dominated advertising agencies coming up with dumb campaigns.

I managed to extract
Gabriela
Jul 21, 2012 Gabriela rated it it was amazing
It is a must read for marketers targeting women,

In this book, Bridget Brennan brilliantly reveals how many businesses may have overlooked the role of the female buyer in the customer economy, how she makes her purchasing decisions and why she influences other consumers' decisions. In her book Why She Buys, she shows how consumer decisions are influenced by gender; she makes the point that up to 80% of consumers are female and businesses should structure their marketing campaigns to focus on the
Liz
Jun 04, 2015 Liz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
As a female I found the book to be very illuminating – the whys of some of the innovations in customer service: the proliferation of customer feed-back surveys I receive, the ones I respond to and the ones I ignore, all cycle back into design of, or integration of changes to service levels. As an agent of customer service and a representative of a brand, it is an informative message of where the customer is actually directing their attention during down-times in service (line-ups, “on hold times ...more
Mardel Fehrenbach
I enjoyed reading this book; it was interesting, fast and enjoyable. But there was nothing groundbreaking here, although I suspect there is still quite a need for a book like this. Most of the points seemed obvious to me; but then, I am a woman. I worked in a company's marketing department 20 years ago and most of this information would have been news to the greater majority of our staff; it seems sad if it hasn't changed that much, and frankly I would not be surprised if it hasn't.

Entertaining
John Yelverton
Aug 07, 2015 John Yelverton rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was just a sexist pile of drivel with no practical insights for the common salesman. This book is directed solely toward marketers, campaigners, and CEO's, and basically tells them to ignore men and focus solely on women. It is not worth your time at all.
Jill Miller
Mar 01, 2015 Jill Miller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anyone in sales, marketing or retail needs to read this book. This is perhaps one of the most important books written in this field in years -- amazing and definitive.
Lindsay
Feb 10, 2014 Lindsay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is fascinating, not just from a business perspective but also a cultural one. I highly recommend it.
Noah Sachs
Feb 10, 2017 Noah Sachs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Positives

When dealing with a hot topic like gender, I think it's important to approach it from a point of facts and science. And Brennan delivers on that front. Throughout the book, the discussion is fact-based and data-driven. Brennan uses data and scientific research to explain how women function during the purchasing process.

I also like that she goes over specific gender differences and explains why they exist and then shows us what the business implications of these differences are. She tak
Sandra Pedicini
May 07, 2012 Sandra Pedicini rated it it was amazing
It seems pretty obvious that companies need to pay attention to women, who make many of the household purchases and influence scors of others. Yet some companies just don't seem to get it. Using a lively, entertaining writing style, Bridget Brennan shows us examples of companies that do - from Procter & Gamble, which actually has employees follow women around in their daily lives to gain an understanding of how its products could be improved, to lululemon, which brings in yoga enthusiasts as ...more
Joe Robles
Nov 09, 2009 Joe Robles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: executive-shelf
Another of the books I've been reading to become better at my job. "Why She Buys" gives great insight into the female consumer. The ideas in this book should be able to give any business new life and increased sales. Heck this book has a billion dollar idea hidden in it. Remake the car industry so shopping is pleasurable and more people will buy. It's such a simple fact, but true. No one, but women especially don't, enjoys shopping for a car. And in this day and age women STILL take a man with t ...more
David
Mar 03, 2012 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. This is a MUST READ for any executive that is responsible for a budget, and using resources to reach this very powerful base - Women! Ignore them at your own peril. No matter your sector, business (small, medium, corporate, global or micro), politics, or community based organizations (profit or not), please read this book. One company (employer) I just completed a project with lost $200,000 in business and cost one of our partners $2,000,000 sales because key factors in ...more
Christina
Nov 11, 2009 Christina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
I had to skim sections in this book because it had to be returned to the library, but the premise and evidence is fascinating (and well, obvious to me as a woman). Advertising executives either sell well to the female gender or they disregard them at their own peril and well, the results are laughable. The author gives great examples of companies who "get it": Apple, Lexus, Vera Bradley, P&G, and the list goes on. The author gives tons of practical advice, which makes this book a "must read" ...more
Jim Geovedi
Dec 14, 2013 Jim Geovedi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While there are mountains of research done every year segmenting consumers and analysing why they buy, more often than not it doesn't factor in the one piece of information that trumps them all: the sex of the buyer. In her crusade to teach marketers to become female-literate, Brennan offers very practical advice, urging readers to think twice before using overtly masculine competitive messages, to avoid violent images and language, and to realise that women, focused on practicality rather than ...more
Read for book club.

A very interesting study of why women purchase what they purchase, what they expect out of a consumer experience, and what marketing appeals to them.

Lots of spot-on insights, and it made for good discussion material.

Even gave me some ideas about how to make the library more appealing to women - provide Moms with book selection service or anyone with personalized book suggestions - like give us three books you liked, three days, and we'll have three more books sitting on our ho
Cody Dulock
Sep 03, 2011 Cody Dulock rated it it was amazing
Go deep into the psychological mindset of women with the female author of this book. The author is a marketing guru for womens products and gives tons of tips and examples of how to effectively market to women, asks tons of questions, and is overall a great read... tons and tons of "ah-ha" moments through out the book... so simple and in plain sight in everyday life, but as people, we just look past it.
Michelle
This is definitely one of the more recent books (2009) I have read about marketing to women but so much has changed in the past three years. The views Brennan expresses are a great overview of the female psyche in general, however with the economic "man-cession", contemporary roles have shifted and with it, the minds of women.
Melinda Elizabeth
Mar 18, 2013 Melinda Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It all seems like common sense to me really, but I guess for some generations the information in this book is brand new and eye opening. I loved the vignettes about successful businesses and products that have turned sales around or created something new and innovative- the research and development that goes into these products just blows me away!
Joshua Degreiff
Nov 07, 2015 Joshua Degreiff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book to reading about targeting women's market needs, if someone knows what is talking about is Bridget she is amazing how describe the behavior of women's when buying products, review and disagreed. Also is a psychological book helps you where is going the market, and how women's can influences the behavior of men's around the globe.
Elizabeth
Apr 13, 2013 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marketing
I loved this book - a great vision into how marketing needs to be done from a woman's perspective but is often instead done by men. I liked the example of the "ugly Snugli" - men didn't realize that an ugly baby carrier wouldn't sell. I'd recommend this book for insights into marketing to women, and for women interested in learning how marketing to them works.
Courtney E. Smith
This was a good basic marketing book on women, but mostly it was pretty elementary (or maybe it just seemed like it because I am a woman). Mostly it just made me want to yell at some CEOs and advertising dudes.
Agata Seidel
Oct 24, 2010 Agata Seidel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really great book, a look at how women think in the decision making process of shopping, what our needs are and how brands should communicate to meet these needs as a means to resonate with female shoppers.
Dave
Oct 25, 2015 Dave rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredibly valuable for anyone wanting to connect with female consumers- and dare I say for men who really want to have more of a sense of what appeals to women in general,and that's valuable knowledge to have.......
Tina
Jan 22, 2013 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great read on how to market to women. I did not like the author's use of "mother" as a synonym to "woman." Maybe she should have named the book "Why Moms Buy" because that is her focus. Still great information.
May 26, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Always interested in marketing and advertising, I thought this was a good read. It's actually aimed at advertisers, so it was an interesting viewpoint into the buying habits of women and what appeals to them, and why.
May Thu
Jun 27, 2014 May Thu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Although in 2015, a lot of brands are trying to figure out what women want, this was not always the case, especially around the time this book came out. A much needed topic to cover! Full of basic, must-know interesting facts.
Megan
May 04, 2011 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read! I recommend to anyone with an interest in marketing to women.
Lisa
Oct 27, 2009 Lisa marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended by Dani
Jricket
Sep 08, 2009 Jricket rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Men who may not think of women as important to sell to.
Recommended to Jricket by: New Book shelf of local library
Easy, quick read with common-sense comments on why women are an economic force.
Rolando
Feb 08, 2014 Rolando rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every marketer needs to read this book. Bridget really makes a point to change your mindset and even gives you an evaluation framework at the and, and a plan to start.
Really really useful.
Barb Wiseberg
May 20, 2012 Barb Wiseberg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Full of many strong recommendations - but few have been implemented, even though the book is 3 years old.

Great insight for smart marketers - worth the eye-opening read
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Call of the Mall: The Geography of Shopping
  • Shoptimism: Why the American Consumer Will Keep on Buying No Matter What
  • Trade-Off: Why Some Things Catch On, and Others Don't
  • The Marriage-Go-Round: The State of Marriage and the Family in America Today
  • So Damn Much Money: The Triumph of Lobbying and the Corrosion of American Government
  • The Geopolitics of Emotion: How Cultures of Fear, Humiliation, and Hope are Reshaping the World
  • Crossing the Finish Line: Completing College at America's Pu
  • Selling Well: The 5 Relationships that Experts, Authors & Coaches Use to Sell 1,000 Books in 21 Days
  • Buried in Treasures: Help for Compulsive Acquiring, Saving, and Hoarding
  • Persuasive Copywriting: Using Psychology to Influence, Engage and Sell
  • Co-Opetition
  • Changing the Game: How Video Games Are Transforming the Future of Business
  • Start Over, Finish Rich: 10 Steps to Get You Back on Track in 2010
  • How Customers Think: Essential Insights into the Mind of the Market
  • In CHEAP We Trust: The Story of a Misunderstood American Virtue
  • Transformational Speaking: If You Want to Change the World, Tell a Better Story
  • The Ten Roads to Riches: The Ways the Wealthy Got There (and How You Can Too!)
  • Stirring It Up: How to Make Money and Save the World