Start by marking “The Presence” as Want to Read:
The Presence

The Presence

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,207 Ratings  ·  81 Reviews
In all his bone-chilling novels of psychological and supernatural suspense, New York Times bestselling author John Saul has proven himself a master of terror. Now prepare yourself for his most frightening novel yet--a story torn from the darkest crevices of night. Something evil has risen around you--but how can you hope to run from a terror you can't even see?

BEWARE THE P
Published November 17th 2010 by Ballantine Books (first published May 28th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Presence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Presence

Dustin Crazy little brown owl
I rather liked this story. I thought it was very interesting & presents some things to ponder. I also thought it had a good ending. Glad I finally got around to reading it :-)

(view spoiler)

Join us in the John Saul Lit Group on Goodreads. We're always reading a John Saul title. The Presence is featured as our group read for
Adam Wilson
Feb 11, 2012 Adam Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
2012 so far for me has been one of the worst years of my life and it is only February! My luck with reading reflects everything else by being as satisfactory as a Christmas Eve shopping spree. Okay, what's next? Sigh. All right, let's try this store. Oh damn, we are waiting in line for five hours waiting to just get the fuck out! You get the idea. Anyway, in desperate need of something, anything!, that could claim more than three stars and at least impress me a little, I thought long and hard ab ...more
Steve
Sep 18, 2007 Steve rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
i'm surprised this book got such high ratings... john saul seems to be hit or miss, and this book is definitely a miss... the plot is predictable, as are the characters... the ending is ridiculous... he takes the risk of going down the road of unexplored science, but instead of putting in the thought and time as one might find in a Michael Crichton novel, Mr. Saul goes into the realm of obvious impossibility... quite the boring book...
Elizabeth Burgess
Aug 15, 2012 Elizabeth Burgess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once I got near the last third of the book I could not put it down ... Even after I took nighttime cold medicine for the cough I was fighting (thankfully I've never been to hawaii.) I did think this book was going to be scary, like Friday the 13th scary, so I was fort of let down when it was more science fiction esque -- but it definitely had me thinking, speculating after each little clue was revealed.

Carol Brannigan
I enjoyed the story and the two parts that verged together at the end to come together. I really liked the end concept of what the "presence" was. I did not like the overly tidy epilogue. That took it down a notch for me- I think I would have preferred it to be open ended rather than solved. I still enjoyed the read and minus the epilogue I think it was a good read.
Candice Shaw
May 17, 2013 Candice Shaw rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I love John Saul books. He is almost as good of a horror author as Stephen King. His writing style is unique and that is what makes him one of my favorite authors. I haven't read a book of his I haven't liked yet, they are all so great. I would reread any of his books anytime but there are too many to go into detail about each one.
David
Oct 15, 2015 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story moved from point A to point B with an easy flow and it wasn't overly long so for that I enjoyed it. The plot didn't impress me, it seemed rather basic and really never developed to its full potential. I felt like it could've been a more intense story but unfortunately that did not happen. Three stars.
Aya Ammar
Apr 15, 2014 Aya Ammar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first real suspense or Sci-fi novel. I've always liked the genre and I've watched lots of its TV shows and movies but I've never read a novel. The book was really good. I like the main plot and considering it was written in 1997, it's really good. I liked the characters. I liked Katherine because she's a real character. A Mom who is afraid and has insecurities but at the same time is tough and can act wisely and bravely when it's needed. She is smart, caring and likeable. The only ann ...more
Alejandro
I only finished this book because I was using it as the Hawaii book in the geography challenge I'm doing. It is trite and the scientific and technological descriptions and concepts are ludicrous.
C.
It has been a long time since I've had the pleasure of reading a really intense thriller,but John Saul's~ The Presence,was a great one.I don't know why I haven't read more by him since I remember really liking 'Nathaniel' years ago. I will definitely be reading more of his work for a while.

This book captured my interest from the beginning,and the suspense got intense very early on. It is a great unique storyline,plus I really enjoyed all the descriptions of Hawaii.This book really put me into th
Liz
Feb 11, 2009 Liz rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book starts out like a good mystery in a great place MAUI. The story continues to get more weird the longer it goes on. Not one of my favorites
Rosalind
I have read most of John Sauls books and loved them, but this one....ehhhh...definitely not one of my favorites, not his style at all.
J Dale Breedlove
Sep 05, 2010 J Dale Breedlove rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Just didn't like it. I haven't liked his past few books, not very interesting and the characters were too simple.
Julia
Apr 03, 2015 Julia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I was remembering how much John Saul scared me when I first started reading him as a teen. I decided to relive the past and check out a John Saul book from the library.

The Presence is more of a science fiction book, with an element of horror. I thought it was a unique idea and the book was very interesting from start to finish. It was not particularly scary, but was very suspenseful. The ending wrapped things up a little too conveniently for my liking, but it was still a very enjoyable book. Thi
Matthews M.
To me the story kind of lagging and then the ending was not as good as I would like to.
Gerry
Apr 29, 2016 Gerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anthropologist Katharine Sundquist discovers skeletal remains of what appears to be early man in Hawaiian jungle, but Hawaii didn’t exist when early man was alive! Simultaneously, an astronomer finds evidence of life millions of years ago on a no longer existing planet, destroyed when its sun exploded. The connection between these two events, occurring in the midst of a wealthy man’s supposed pollution research project, makes for an exciting and suspenseful story. Different from Saul’s other boo ...more
George
Jun 04, 2013 George rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's just ok so far. Very slow start.
Rissy
Aug 12, 2013 Rissy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: john-saul
Gaston Sanders
Nov 13, 2014 Gaston Sanders rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A scary, exciting midnight delicacy...

John Saul has done it again with this superbly written story of base evil pitted against human frailties and courage. The book is smoothly paced and reads extremely well. We feel anxious for the kids as they battle both their inner demons and the real ones.
I highly recommend this book to all thriller and macabre fans. Excellent read...

Gaston Sanders, Author
Rebekkila
Jun 16, 2011 Rebekkila rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like medical thrillers
I have been reading this author since I was 12 years old, it started with The God Project and I read everything he wrote until around 1989. At that point I moved on to Dean Koontz, Anne Rice, and Stephen King. About five years ago I read The Manhattan Hunt Club, it was so different from anything he had written before, I read that book in 2 days. After that I avoided him again since anything else he had written would pale in comparison. I am glad I waited.
The story was about Catherine and her son
Mihaela
After i read this book i really wanted to visit Maui :]
Well my dream hasn't came true yet, but i still hope that someday i'll go there.
Anyway, i think "The Presence" is a good, well-written book but i was a bit to scientific for me.
On the other hand, it was full of suspense and i really reccomand it.
Ken Schloman
The novel can't decide if it is a medical thriller, a straight thriller or science fiction. Thought the characters wee not developed to any great extent. Shifting points of view among the characters-- even minor ones -- a bit confusing. Climax a bit weak and seems rushed. Fair read for the beach or airplane.
Farrah
Mar 26, 2012 Farrah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: authors-to-watch
john saul is turning out to be a bit hit and miss for me, but this story was a good read. the ending was slightly dissapointing which it seems is a regular theme for john saul in the books ive read so far (except shadows) but all the same closes the story satisfactorily.

the cover and title are a little misleading, in that this is more a medical/sci fi thriller rather than a horror but it still packs a punch.

interesting concept and likeable characters keep the momentum and result in an entertaini
Susan Cobb
Sep 23, 2015 Susan Cobb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like all his books. This book was about experiments done on humans. Sometimes books like this make you wonder if this is possible. I suggest you read this, it is abook worth reading.
EmmiK
Sep 24, 2014 EmmiK rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written, interesting, a page-turner... the end, to me, was anticlimactic. I was expecting something sinister or diabolical, mainly because I read the summary which made me think I'm in for a real OMG moment.
Gail
Aug 29, 2014 Gail rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't really feel like all my questions were answered at the end of the book which is frustrating. The premise was good though and topical even today with new discoveries and theories.
Kelli
Jun 02, 2014 Kelli marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Rebecca Rogers
it was okay. it just kind of ended and it was an okay story line. it lacked something, but I can't put my finger on what. it is just lacking
Sarah1983
Not bad, just not the same sort as the others of his I've read. Wanted horror, not sciencey stuff.
Julie
Mar 24, 2016 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I prefer Mr. Saul's thriller/supernatural novels. I'm not usually into sci-fi, but it was pretty good considering I'm not a fan of the genre.
The Manhattan Hun...: The Presence ( Group Read - Nov/Dec 2011) 5 8 Jan 17, 2012 01:38PM
  • The Devil's Touch (The Devil, #3)
  • Emerald Germs of Ireland
  • Billy
  • Audrey's Door
  • The House
  • Blackwater
John Saul was born in Pasadena, California on February 25, 1942, and grew up in Whittier where he graduated from Whittier High School in 1959. He attended several colleges—Antioch, in Ohio, Cerritos, in Norwalk, California, Montana State University and San Francisco State College, variously majoring in anthropology, liberal arts, and theater, but never obtaining a degree.
After leaving college, he