Start by marking “The Irish Bride” as Want to Read:
The Irish Bride

The Irish Bride

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  324 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Farrell Kirwan is in love with Liam O’Rourke, not his wild, womanizing brother Aidan. But when a catastrophe strikes their families, she is forced to wed Aidan and flee Ireland with him on a ship bound for America. But their foe follows them across the world, threatening to destroy everything they’ve built, unless they can forge their two hearts and fight with the power of...more
Published February 28th 2010 by Smashwords Edition (first published March 14th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Irish Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Irish Bride

Ana T.
I don't know why I got this book, I think I probably confused it the The Bridal Veil which was on my wish list and it's about a mail order bride. I can't resist one of those every once in a while.

Farrell Kirwan thought she was in love with Liam O'Rourke, not his wild and unpredictable brother Aidan. But when a family crisis forces her hand, she finds herself Aidan's wife, boarding a ship bound for America--leaving Ireland and Liam behind. Secretly, Farrell resolves that it will be a marriage in...more
Joy
A novel of Irish immigrants illustrating Stephen Colbert's quip before the House Agriculture Committee: "My grandfather did not travel across 4,000 miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this country overrun by immigrants. He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland." The hero of this book, an Irish peasant, accidentally kills the heroine's brother, a rent collector for an Evil Landlord. At the exact same time, the heroine (who is engaged to the hero's brother) smacks the Evil Landlord's Evil...more
Karen
Oh adventure to be had.

Escaping an accidental death, tyranny of an oppressive Lord & his lecherous son, quicky unwanted marriage, Farrell & Aidan fled Ireland to America. Lost dreams, epic journey across the ocean then half of America in search of a better life pursued by a depraved, unscrupulous, spoilt despot.

The loss, hardship, sheer determination, courage made it a compelling story to read.
Kristen
A good read for a rainy night. This is a short story (182 pgs) that does not have a lot of detail but if you are looking for a simple romantic read this is one you will love.
I only gave it three stars because it left me with a few questions that the author did not resolve in the story.
I own this book on my Nook.
Katrina Passick Lumsden
My second book by Alexis Harrington, and I found myself completely unimpressed again.

A clueless heroine, a bumbling but sweet hero who probably deserves better, and a cartoonish, nonsensical villain. Not to mention the would-be complex plot points that are swept aside after being used in a rather convenient manner (i.e. the workers who hated Aiden and provided the plot twist that he was becoming what he despised, who then helped out at the end because he'd miraculously turned a corner and we're...more
SheLove2Read
I read this one a few years ago. Set in both Ireland and America, its a tale that both interests you and frustrates you. So much could have been avoided if they had just been honest with each other and talked! Not bad but not good either.
Christine
I tried to like this book, but I had a lot of trouble suspending disbelief. The idea of a rich nobleman's son chasing these two from Ireland to Oregon because he wanted her -- well, I can't believe there were a shortage of attractive young girls in Ireland in 1855. Or at least, if there were, then this one didn't look any better -- she was as hungry and poor as anyone when she left.

The romance between these two was sweet and gradual, beginning with a bit of a shock, when the two find themselves...more
Cherise
Highland-dreamer
Beverly Williams
I read this book fairly quickly. Although I must say it held my interest for the most part I believe that it was a little too long winded. The history in the book was interesting to me also. The downside is that it was too drawn out and not really that great until a little over half way through. I will most likely try to read more by this author and hopefully some that are slightly better.
Michelle Robinson
I read this a number of years ago. I had really enjoyed another book by this author. This book was ok but not as good as the other and it kept me from being interested in reading anything else by Ms. Harrington.

The writing is ok but something just did not work for me at the end of the novel.l
Ashley
I agree with another reviewer about finding it hard to believe a nobleman traveled that far for all that but overall it was a fairly decent story. farrel annoyed me slightly. just her overall attitude.
Katie Wofford
Was a decent read. I didn't like the way the author rushed the plot at the beginning and rushed the un-climactic ending. It seemed a big build up for very little reward.
Emily
I really loved this story. It wasn't the typical love story and the characters were really wonderful. I look forward to reading more from this author.
Carol
Enjoyed this historical fiction about a young couple that were thrown together by chance and their life experiences they shared.
Tammy
Farrell was a bit too hard for me and I didn't really feel like the relationship was a good one or true. Bit forced.
Nikkole
This was a very good book! You just might want to skip some parts in there if you know what I mean ;D
Celeste
I was in the mood for a light read but this was beyond fluff; it was just plain silly and predictable.
The Gluttonous Bookworm
Heartwarming , well written and well worth reading.. I Read in less than a day.. didn't want to put it down.
Karen Addington
I enjoyed this book. Easy, relaxing getaway book. I'll read more Alexis, for fun!
Heather love
so far a nice read, good detail....hope it doesn't turn all romancy! :)
Katie Mcsweeney
Loved the beginning but very quickly started to hate it!
Adelaide
I LIKE IT ENOUGH TO READ MORE OF THE AUTHORS BOOKS...
Jamie
Glad this was free...would not want to pay money for it.
Christine Ferrari
Not a bad read but nothing original
Good for an easy read on a rainy day.
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Vickie
Vickie marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
  • A Convenient Wife (Montana Mavericks: The Historicals)
  • Love Will Follow
  • Tin Angel
  • Something Shady
  • Dream Fever
  • Conor's Way
  • Patterns of Love (Coming to America, #2)
  • Colorado Dawn (Runaway Brides, #2)
  • Winter Woman
  • Montana Dawn (McCutcheon Family, #1)
  • The Devil of Kilmartin (Kilmartin Glen, #1)
  • Maverick Wild (Wild, #2)
  • The Perfect Stranger (The Merridew Sisters, #3)
  • Leah and the Bounty Hunter (Men of Defiance, #3)
  • Niko's Stolen Bride
  • Hannah's Vow
  • Baby at His Convenience
  • Alinor (The Roselynde Chronicles, #2)
I've been a self-employed working novelist for the past twenty years. Of all the books I've written I've had just one foreign sale, and that was THE IRISH BRIDE, which was translated into Norwegian, where I understand it was a big hit.

I also make jewelry and I'm a fine needlework artist, specializing in embroidery, thread crochet, and sewing. I love to cook, read, entertain friends, decorate, and...more
More about Alexis Harrington...
Home by Morning (Powell Springs, #1) A Taste Of Heaven Harper's Bride The Bridal Veil Home by Nightfall (Powell Springs, #2)